Started a group for old guys to go ride dirtbikes

If anyone is interested-

http://www.meetup.com/Old-guys-trail-riding-dirtbikes-North-West-NJ

Please don't turn this thread into hate & politics. I plan on all the rides being in legal areas. So if you don't like dirtbikes, I ask that you just stay out of this thread please.

Just curious, what qualifies as old? I have a friend, early 40s, who would be interested.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '15

"I plan on all the rides being in legal areas. "

So.... not in NJ then?

Unless you (street legal) dual-sport and ride sand roads down in central/south Jersey.

I have a technically street legal KTM 200 (used to race ECEA enduros), but smoking out the local traffic on a two-stoke would probably draw some unwanted attention ;)

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Mar '15

I ride lost trails all the time with my '15 polaris sportsman quad. I have a circuit track in my woods that is pretty fun to rip around.

townie14 townie14
Mar '15

I'm in my early 40's as well.

There are a couple private places to ride down in south Jersey for a fee.

And who knows, maybe we'll meet someone who has property.

But yea.. I foresee a bunch of trips out to PA or NY.

If anyone wants to join but doesn't have a dirt bike I have a KTM 300 listed in the classifieds ;)

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Mar '15

Where can you ride in south Jersey for a fee?

Gadfly Gadfly
Mar '15

I feel left out :-(

Common...don't you need a younger guy to keep ya all on your toes!?!?!

I mean I am turning 30 in June, will I be old then?

I haven't ridden my yz250 in a few years now!

Darrin Darrin
Mar '15

Re: Started a group for old guys to go ride dirtbikes

No offense, but I pegged you to be a few years older Darrin... (don't feel bad, I'm 37)

My first "real" bike was a '97 YZ125 that I had bored out to 133cc.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Mar '15

My "current" ride (that mostly sits in the garage now) is an '01 KTM 200 MXC.

Served me well for a few seasons of enduros and still runs strong.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Mar '15

Any age is ok on the rides, but you need to understand old guys may ride slower.. may need help some times.. and if you act like a young punk A-hole, be prepared for an ass chewing, do it again and you won't be welcomed back. :)

Need to be 21 for the weekly Tues night social meetup of course.

I went tonight just in case anyone showed up. Nobody did. Drank beer anyway. :)

No offense taken mark, if the way i present myself on the forum has people thinking i am older, that's a good thing right? Lol

I don't think i ever had a successful trail trip with the 250 where i didn't take a spill lol, i bought it used and the previous owner tweaked it up a few notches..... that thing was always a handful and i am very throttle happy.

My first dirtbike was a KE100 and i still have it.

Darrin Darrin
Mar '15

Dirtbikes and crashes just go together. Especially in the woods.

Mark,

That 200 looks damn nice. I see a lot of purposeful hardware on there.

Any pictures of the 300 you have listed? I looked for it, but could not find it.

I've never ridden a KTM, but have heard nothing but good things about them.

I see you signed up last night. That makes 3 of us now. Should be good times ahead. :)

Darrin, are you in?

"That 200 looks damn nice. I see a lot of purposeful hardware on there."

Thanks... I definitely tweaked it to make it race ready. Lots of aluminum/carbon fiber protection, Enduro Engineering suspension, Scotts steering damper, Watchdog computer, flywheel weight, etc.

"Any pictures of the 300 you have listed? I looked for it, but could not find it."

Just sold it last night. Couple of guys walked at the price my friend originally wanted, but he agreed to let it go for $1600. Not bad for a 14 year old dirt bike. There's a tiny chance my brother may try to sell his 300 EXC (I think '02 or '03) but he's not actively listing it.

"I've never ridden a KTM, but have heard nothing but good things about them."

If you're used to Japanese bikes a KTM will feel absolutely strange the first time you ride one. You definitely sit "on" them, not "in" them like I felt on my YZ125. Power-wise, they punch above their displacement. The 200 has a hefty little motor behind it (although I'm sure if you're usually ride a 500 or a large 4-stroke it won't be as impressive). If/when we meet up you're welcome to try it out.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Mar '15

Wish I could be Josh, but I am not sure my bike is ready. I haven't run it in a year or so, and I need to rebuild the rear shock as well as fix a absolutely no idling issue before it is ready for a trip. but if I get her fixed up I will touch base with you guys and maybe hit up a ride!

Darrin Darrin
Mar '15

Darrin- that is a big part of the reason I am having 'Tuesday night social' meetup-

So we can discuss the bikes, repairs needed, as well as any upcoming rides and stories. (and beer)....

Given that the weather is still cold / wet - the weekend GTG can and should be called 'Ride or Repair'.. as there is usually at least one person in a group that needs help with a bike, trailer, truck, etc.

I've got a garage with lights, heat, tunes, tools.

Mark- funny you say ON instead of IN. My old bike was definitely 'IN'.

My last dirtbike was 15 years ago.. but even then, in reality it was 20 years ago since I rode it more than a couple times. (I went in the Army in 1996, bike went in storage. Got out in 2000, busy getting a job, apt, etc..barely rode.. bike was stolen in 2002)

The bike was a heavily modified 1983 Yamaha IT250. I *loved* that bike. We used to go on night rides after my friend got off work at 10PM and a bunch of us would go rip through the woods all night long.

It had good stuff for the day- headlight, tailight, barkbusters, brushguards, tool bag, large tank, cushy seat, bored and jetted carb by RRP, power reeds, bored & ported cyl, shaved head, hot rod, machined 'turbo crank' by RRP, DG pipe and silencer, pipe guard.

Here is a picture.

So after that bike was stolen.. a few years later I had an itch and bought a quad. I rationalized that a quad was safer and I was getting older. Ha..

Funny how I felt older at 31 and bought a quad..and here I am at 41 and said F it and bought another dirtbike!!

Same concept applied- I like hardcore trail riding- so I decked it out with skid plates on the A-arms, frame, swing arm, as well as aluminum handguards with brush shields, an AUX spot light, a winch, a larger gas tank, aftermarket speedo, air filter, bigger carb w/ jet kit, cams, full exhaust, 6-pack back rack which held a cooler, a spare gas can, and a tow strap.

This quad was awesome.. plenty of power, protection, range, comfort, pulling power for recovery and beer.

I sold it in 2010, regrettably.... long story..

Pic attached.

Josh... had an IT 175 once upon a time. I loved that bike, too. I also spent a lot of time at Rossini's getting cylinders bored and whatnot.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '15

It seems like you've been out of the game almost as long as me, Josh. I just found out last year that they don't even race 2-strokes in Supercross anymore; it's all 4-stroke. What a shame...

ianimal ianimal
Mar '15

Animal (I don't know your name?)...

When I was young.. we used to bust on 4 stokes..because at that time, they were heavy and slow (2 valve heads instead of 4, and air cooled)..

Although I enjoy the sound and memory of a 2-stroke, the modern thumpers are no joke.

They don't have the 'hit' of an old 2 stroke, but mostly because they don't have the low end lag either. Just a nice smooth wide power band. They still give up a little in weight and top end power.. but nowhere near as much as they used to.

So since I am on a roll..(Kaiser?) here is what I have to work with now-

Last fall, the itch got to me again and I started looking for a used dirtbike.

I wanted something for a lower price, that could make decent power, had a headlight, and had parts availability.

I found a guy selling a 2003 Kawasaki KLX400. This is an oddball but common bike, not that that makes any sense. For 2003, Kawaskai sold a rebadged Suzuki DRZ 400, same bike 100% other than color and badging...then they stopped. Weird.

This guy had bought it, and for some reason paid the dealer to paint it olive drab green. But he never rode it....??

I bought it off of him last fall, and the bike only had 19 miles on the odometer.

Pic attached.

Seeing as how the quad I had came with the same engine, I am familiar with them. Good aftermarket support. In fact, Suzuki still sells the DRZ400 today, with no changes.

Sold.

So I bought it.

...and last post for this unexpected rant...

In following my mindset, I have bought a bunch of parts to make the bike more trail worthy.

The model I have is the offroad version, so it already has a bigger carb, more aggressive cams, and better exhaust than the street DRZ.

So as far as power goes, all I bought was a jet kit. Changing the air filter does no good beyond a lighter wallet, and changing the exhaust just makes noise.

But as far as the riding I intend on doing, I bought-

Aluminum hand guards, plastic brush guards, different handlebars, different grips. a larger gas tank, a better seat, a tool bag for the rear fender, a skid plate, engine case guards.

And since I was changing the gas tank anyway, I decided to make the bike more like what I was used to...and style it after the mid 80's KX, KDX, Tacate, etc..

I bought all new Kawasaki green plastics, a custom blue seat, had stripes made like the old school bikes, unitrak stickers, Kawasaki badging, blue fork gaitors, white number plate backings.

I haven't installed it yet, but it should be pretty cool.

Please take my old guy husband with you. He's got a Honda XR650.

auntiel auntiel
Mar '15

I rode my yz for years with no idle, I just though it wasn't suppose to lol....now that I know, it has me itching to pull it back out and tear into the carb.

I could never get it cold started without pulling the plug and giving it some helper juice, and if it stalled while it was hot because it ran out of gas or you let it idle down it ment a fowled plug 9 out of 10 times.

Darrin Darrin
Mar '15

Auntiel,

Your husband is more than welcome.

Darrin, what is the year? We'll get it straightened out, although you may need to buy a few jets.. or possibly a kit. If it is old enough, 2-stroke are sensitive to cracked intake boots as well.

i believe it is a 95 found a pic!

Darrin Darrin
Mar '15

and another!

oldies man (well for me)

Darrin Darrin
Mar '15

My YZ always seemed to have a carburetor bug too... no idle and fouled plugs is probably just a way too rich pilot jet or air screw that's way off.

My bikes weren't always shiny... here's the YZ after a typical ride. Bashed pipe and everything...

Where's the KTM you ask?

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Mar '15

There it is... I tore it down to the frame at least once a year while racing.

Only way to check all the bearings, bolts, wires, etc.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Mar '15

"oldies man (well for me)"

Here's one of my early pics... I think YZ's like to wheelie.

The stylish jeans helped keep it under control ;)

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Mar '15

Hahah! awesome mark!

I never got to rebuilding the yz, it's all intact, and will probably fire up within 10 minutes from pulling it out of my Dad's shed. I got sidetracked trying to get a 83 yamaha xs 1100 running properly, and am still trying despite taking the carbs apart multiple times. I am too cheap to buy the carb kits for a motorcycle i am not even sure will run after that. has good compression throughout all 4 so cannot see why not, but I really would like to get that back together before I bring the yz to my house and tear into that.....i might just have to bite the bullet and take the xs to someone who will rebuild the carbs and balance them properly, or maybe i will buy the carb kits since it seems they dropped in price.

Darrin Darrin
Mar '15

Once you get the YZ out, I'm sure we can put our heads together to find the problem.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Mar '15

Can father and son do this to late teens early 50s

Matt,

I guess it doesn't matter much if someone brings a kid along on one of the rides..but he needs to understand that this group is primarily focused on old guys getting out of the house. So, we tend to ride slower, and safer than the young kids these days.

If he acts like a punk and does anything stupid that gets us in any trouble on a ride, he will get yelled at. :)

The group is up to 13 members already. Pretty surprised. That is more than enough to have some good rides.

Back to the garage I go. The bike has plenty of work that needs to be done before it hits the trails.

"I have a circuit track in my woods that is pretty fun to rip around.

Townie - how long is your track? Ideally we'll find someone with a lot of private woods where we can just cruise around instead of paying entry fees for public areas. I don't think my 0.26 acres will cut it.

"The bike has plenty of work that needs to be done before it hits the trails."

I just oiled my chain and refreshed the brake fluid. Still have to change the engine oil and flush the steering damper. Also need a new air filter and battery for my computer. It's amazing how just sitting around still wears things out ;)

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Mar '15

I remember seeing someone's house on a back road between Mansfield and Great Meadows that has a track built in their yard with lots of jumps, etc.. lucky guy!

That's a local Supercross rider:

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/590464

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Mar '15

Sounds like fun. Have room for an old guy with a quad?

Personally, I don't have a prejudice against ATV, as I have owned several quads over the years with all my dirtbikes, streetbikes, etc. I like anything with an engine.

I'm not sure about the other guys though... as I haven't met any of them yet.

I know that dirt bikes and quads tends to be a different riding style..and can go on different trails and terrain. I have met some people over the years that don't like to mix the 2.

My main concern is the dilution of the intent of the group and turning into a mess that alienates some of the 'core' members- old guys with dirtbikes.

I don't want it to end up being a free for all starting with kids, then quads..then side by sides, then somebody with a Jeep that wants to get muddy... I'm not saying that to be elitist or stand offish, I am just trying to stay focused..as we haven't even had out first meeting yet..and again I haven't discussed the topic with any other guys yet.

You are the 2nd person to ask about quads yesterday (or the same person with different initials?)... so I would imagine there is definitely interest in the area. Maybe you can start an ATV specific riding group officially.. and we can casually cross participate in rides, trips, beer, wrenching as things fall into place.

Hell, with my not having ridden a dirtbike in 20 years.. I very well may find that I am too out of shape and it is a painful lot of work..and I might sell it and buy another quad. Then I will join your group. :)

In my experience quads cannot keep up with dirtbikes and it wont work. I have both and I used to go riding with my now wife, she would take the quad and I would take the dirtbike, and it was a total mess.

I get the same feeling with kids going, (speaking my own opinion here) I think this should be kept to similar riding styles as well as experience levels, because once you have to start waiting for someone it sort of takes the fun out of it, as well as once you start getting challenged by a fasted or more, dare I say, in shape rider.

This is part of the reason I am not rushing to get out with you guys, I may tend to run fast, horse around a bit, and I am not quite sure that is going to be your riding style.

I am all for meeting up at some point over some beers though, and one of these Tuesdays I will certainly have to meet you guys! Maybe it will lead to a trip or two over the summer, who knows!

Darrin Darrin
Mar '15

"once you start getting challenged by a fasted or more, dare I say, in shape rider."

I used to be pretty fast (B-class) but I no longer qualify for the "in shape" rider ;)

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Mar '15

Nor do I mark, nor do I.....i have gained at least 50 lbs since I last rode the yz on the trail, and I am sure that suspension is no longer setup for my weight, which will make for a very unpleasant ride. I need to rebuild the rear shock anyways, as it was always just a pogo stick (best way to describe it), I had a few over the handle bars experiences from that lol!

Darrin Darrin
Mar '15

I've rebuilt forks before but would probably send a shock out to a pro to have it done correctly. There are too many nuances with bleeding/filling with nitrogen that would be difficult to get right the first time you DIY.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Mar '15

Agree on the rear shock, although there may be a limit to how much money you want to sink in that old YZ.

Have you been keeping an eye on Ebay looking for a good used one? Cross referenced the part # to see if it came on any other bikes as well?

Tonight is the first meetup if anyone is planning on coming or knows anyone.

Did you guys find any place to ride? Ive got an old kdx 200 ive owned since it was new. Looking to go someplace local and legal. I also go to lost trails but its a lttle far and need to go for the day. There is a law that corzine put in that says the state must provide land for off road use in south,central and north jersey. So far they got some place down by cape may but no other land has been made available. I dont know of any groups trying to fight for this. I know this is not what any of us want to get involved with but that is part of the problem too

wayne wayne
Apr '15

NJ is a lost cause for public legal riding areas, with or without any Corzine mandate. Haven't heard of anyone offering their private property for us to ride on yet.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '15

Wayne- the KDX are good bikes.

So far, no place local is available although I always keep my eyes open.

The current best place appears to be Rausch Creek in PA.

I'm also interested in www.HilltopLodge.com

Here is my bike as of this weekend. Started stripping it down and doing some work.

Unless I'm misinterpreting...

Rausch Creek requires a membership at $350 per year. Each member is only allowed 4 guest riders per visit (each paying another $60 per day).

http://www.rauschcreekracing.com/about/trailriders/rates-2/

So, it's a bit cost prohibitive - in addition to being 2+ hours away.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '15

Is the Dixon Miller Rec Area/Pohopoco just ATV trails? It's in the Poconos just past the raceway on 115. I don't think there is a fee but one should have registration and insurance from what I remember.
There are some no fee trails in Pennsylvania

Also Evansville MX Park that I'm thinking is dirt bikes and $25

I think all PA DCNR lands are ATV only. The theory being that ATV registrations pay for the trail maintenance.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '15

I have no problem paying $350-$400 yearly membership, as the place literally has many thousands of acres to ride on.

Compared to taking cars to track days, this is a drop in the bucket. You can *easily* spend $400 for one car event.

Hell, I spend way more than $400 a year on beer.

Am I thrilled about driving 2 hours to get there? No, but we don't have much choice.

There is free atv trails in PA!?!?

Darrin Darrin
Apr '15

Current bike pic :)

Why you tearing her apart? I though she was like brand new?

Darrin Darrin
Apr '15

Ride the lost trails is about an hour and half away. Its 35 bucks a day.the also have special night rides and different events throughout the year.you do not have to be registered or insured. You can ride bikes,quads or said by sides.they have about 2000 acres.its not too bad. I'll try to add a picture of my bike.
Wayne

Wayne Wayne
Apr '15

Here she is

Wayne Wayne
Apr '15

Darrin,

It is 'new'- less than 25 miles on it.. but it is an '03 model.

I'm tearing it apart and greasing all the bearings and bolts, making sure everything is tight and loctite on some stuff.

Drain all fluids.

Adding a kickstarter kit

Install skid plate, and engine side cover guards.

Install carb jet kit

Install new fork protectors, handlebars, grips, barkbusters and brushshields.

Install all the new plastics, oversized gas tank, rear fender bag, decals.

I might buy one of those digital speedos for it so I have an idea of how fast I am going, etc.

Wayne, your bike is awesome.

If you scroll up, you will see the gastank, seat and stickers I bought for my bike.. to make it look like an old 80's KDX.

:)

As if the KLX400 isn't heavy enough, you're adding all that extra stuff? ;)

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '15

Yeah, I am sure my YZ is long overdue, I never once tore it down

Darrin Darrin
Apr '15

Did you buy it new? If it has never had any maint done.. it might need more work than is worth doing.

Pohopoco is ATV only but it is free

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/pennsylvania_03352/ride_87f2.htm

No josh, I bought it from someone who probably tore it down like you and mark do, but I never did anything more then a clutch and rear tire.

Hmm, i may finally have to register and insure my quads, may have to check this out!

Darrin Darrin
Apr '15

This may be a good place to ask this question, but i need to get a quad registered that was never registered before and the original owner does not have a bill of sale or anything. How can I do this?

Darrin Darrin
Apr '15

Would love to join you but I know my limitations (and don't enjoy pain lol)! I will say that you guys have me longing for the days of the Monster V in the long-gone sand pits and riding the RR tracks all day. Great memories.

Justintime Justintime
Apr '15

Mark,

The funny thing is- for such a fat bike of a bike by modern standards, I am amazed as I am taking it apart at how light every piece is.

There is a huge difference in the design and attention to weight on this bike compared to the dirt bikes I grew up with.

But yes, I will gain some weight in order to gain some protection, comfort and useability.

Bump-

Meeting is on for tonight at 7pm.

The site lists 16 members for the group so far, and I made posts about it on 2 other sites yesterday.

Last week (the first week we are doing this) we had 4 people show up- myself and 3 others. So far everyone seemed like good people and very into bikes and enthusiastic about what we will be doing.

The meetups are the time to discuss any ideas, plans, suggestions..and drink a beer or 3.

The weather is turning.. we will be riding soon.

Thanks-

Josh

6 people showed up last week.

Here is the current state of my bike.

I would have liked to have had it finished last weekend but I ran into an issue...

Almost back together..

Lookin good Josh

Darrin Darrin
Apr '15

Together and running as of today. Still have a few minor cosmetic things.. but it is ridable.

not trying to change the topic on this but I figured this would be the best place to ask, I installed a new Edelbrock carburetor on my truck and I need someone who knows what they are doing to tune it. someone local to Htown area if possible.

Booster90 Booster90
Jun '15

Mark.Mc we have about 15 acres worth of trails not including the track which is mainly run on dirt bikes. Shoot me a email Billabong05@comcast.net

townie14 townie14
Jun '15

excuse me????

Darrin Darrin
Jun '15

I don't own the property but my neighbors Gary Anselone and Marc told me bunch of people ride back their. Its a fun track!!

townie14 townie14
Jun '15

townie14 townie14
Jun '15

Heres the track

townie14 townie14
Jun '15

Huh?

Posts about truck carbs... and posts about land that doesn't belong to the poster (illegal?)

For anyone that is interested- 2 weekends ago, we rode at the Lost Trails in PA and last weekend 6 of us rode at Anthracite off road adventure park which is also in PA.

another

Yeah I got excited, I thought a property owner was offering up. I am going to PA today, trying to buy 40 acres :->

How did you like both of the parks?

Darrin Darrin
Jun '15

Lost trails is alot of fun! We take our quads up once a month and bought a yearly membership

townie14 townie14
Jun '15

Josh its not illegal. Would you think I would ride on somebody property if I wasn't allowed to!?!?

townie14 townie14
Jun '15

Well I just bought 40 acres 1/2 a hour away!!!!

Darrin Darrin
Jun '15

Congrats Darrin! That should be good for a few of your hobbies!

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jun '15

Shooting range, instantly!

Right now there is a parking area and one main trail big enough to drive a truck through, but I need to clear out and make trails all through the property.

Darrin Darrin
Jun '15

Nice Darrin!

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '15

That's awesome Darrin!

townie14 townie14
Jun '15

Darrin,

Time to fire up the YZ!! I'll help you make trails...and bring beer. :)

I believe I can fly...

Hell yeah josh, i am game!

Gotta close, looks like first week of July, and get a camper up there so we have a place to stay

Darrin Darrin
Jun '15

Darrin,

One of the guys I ride with has volunteered to bring his skid loader to help. :)

Where is the property located?

Nice! Now we are talking!

it is Stroud township, literally first exit (309) off rout 80 in PA and about 5 miles down 611

I have borrow permission on a friends brush hog to start off, there is a good 3/4 of the property I have not even seen yet!

Darrin Darrin
Jun '15

Darrin, (and everyone else who isn't in the group)...

I just posted a ride to the group for this Sunday in PA.

If anyone wants to come out.. join the group.

Practiced my jumping a bit. Still suck, but better than the last pic.

I bought a fork oil level tool due to arrive tomorrow and will be raising it a bit and turning up the compression dampening.

I have been busy getting the quads ready for the property, trying to acquire campers for the property, and getting the paperwork nailed away. The property is over a mile long and 1/2 a mile wide at one point, then narrows up. before crossing a road to another 6-7 acre piece

I tightened all the axels, checked all the fluids, replaced a few seal on my old quad, took it out and blew the rear shock first ride (i think i gained some weight :-0) but now it is all fixed back up.

Closing should be next week, then I go away for a while :-( don't even get the time to play on it!

The only things I have running right now are the quads, the YZ and the KE have both been sitting, need to make some trails before I get those going.

Once I have my own place to ride and shoot, all bets are off, time to buy more toys!

Darrin Darrin
Jun '15

I nominate Darrin to host the HL shooting fun day

skippy skippy
Jun '15

Once I make a range, we most certainly can have it there!

Beers a BBQ after all the guns are cleaned!

Darrin Darrin
Jun '15

Is there a different group for the rides you guys do?

townie14 townie14
Jun '15

Darrin,

If your property is 40 acres and a mile long, that means the average width is a little over 300 feet. But you also said that the property is a half mile, or 2,640 feet, wide at one point. It must be a very strangely shaped lot, no?

Gadfly76 Gadfly76
Jun '15

Gadfly,

It is VERY oddly shaped to say the least. It goes from 1200 feet deep at the road entrance and necks down to about 50 feet deep where it runs behind some houses and a farm, and then turns into a bunny with ears looking thing and shoots back down to the road. Overall length is over a mile. I am thinking it is actually 45 acres because the tax assesment did not line up with the sale. My title company is currently working on it.

Darrin Darrin
Jun '15

Does the property already have a house on it? Or is it just land? Based on the description, I don't know if that's on Foxtown Hill or either side of it. Five miles is close. I ask because some of that area in the valley is very problematic for building because of 'quicksand'. At least years ago that's the term that was used when they created Glen Brook. The people that built the big estate up there didn't call it Strouds "moor" for nothing. The land might be perfectly well suited for recreational use. But depending on the exact location, if there isn't a foundation that's been there long enough not to settle, plans to build may not work out. Be careful.

The house that is on the adjacent property was built in the 1800s. and there is many other houses on this same hill that have been there 40+ years. To answer your question, no there is no house on it, nor do I currently plan on building a house on it, I plan to make a camp.

Sad to say it, I was wrong with how many feet are in a mile :-0 LOL!

Make it this way, the property is about 4000+ feet long, so 3/4 (ish) of a mile. And it goes from 1200 feet deep at the road entrance and gradually necks down to about 50 feet deep where it runs behind some houses and a farm, and then turns into a bunny with ears looking thing and shoots back down to the road, about 800 feet.

Hard to tell right now, looking at a blurry copied survey, and surely hard to explain!

Although as a engineer, I am just plain embarrassed to mess up how many feet are in a mile!!!!!

Darrin Darrin
Jun '15

Just curious. Good luck with it.

Gadfly Gadfly
Jun '15

If it's on the hill itself instead of down in Cherry Valley, then you should be good. Might be some minor hill side seep depending on how far up on the hill. But shouldn't be a major issue.

Townie- "Is there a different group for the rides you guys do?"

Nope, all the same group. I decided to make all the posts from now on about rides private so they can only be seen by members of the group.

I know it's for a bunch of older guys to go riding. Mind if I come along? I'm 30

townie14 townie14
Jun '15

As I stated above back in March-

"Any age is ok on the rides, but you need to understand old guys may ride slower.. may need help some times.. and if you act like a young punk A-hole, be prepared for an ass chewing, do it again and you won't be welcomed back. :)"

We are just looking to ride and have fun, nothing crazy. I already kicked a guy out of the group after the last ride because he was so 'hardcore' and pressured the rest of the group to go places and do things they didn't feel comfortable with. We spoke to him as a group, but he did it again within just a few minutes.

Josh, you think it is worth while to rebuild the rear shock on my yz, or just buy a good used one? The shock is basically a pogo stick, and has been for years.

Darrin Darrin
Jun '15

Darrin,

The cheapest route would be to look for a decent shock on Ebay. The problem is, it is still an old used shock, with seals that have seen better days just due to age. There is a local guy that is excellent with suspension that can rebuild it for you. http://www.werproducts.net/Suspension-Service.html

You would be amazed at what the magnitude of difference is when suspension is properly set up. I would 100% advise new springs for the shock and forks that are matched to your weight, then set the proper sag / preload. I would also do some reading online for your year and model and find out what the common recommended fork oil weight and level is. Just a guess, most likely, you will want to increase the front fork oil level 5-10mm or so. Also find out what settings your suspension has for compression and rebound adjustment.

I'd be more than happy to help you get your bikes running & set up the best we can.

YES! I was always too heavy for how the bike was set when I used to ride it, but now have grew more......can you actually set the bike for a 300lb 6'4 man properly? :-0

The rear shock issue was actually one of the main reasons I stopped riding it. It had me doing endos at 50mph, and did shoot me over the handle bars a couple times.

I need to get the bike from my parents and bring it up to my house so I can bring it over, or you can come over here sometime. We can visually look it over and see what you think as far as worthiness of rebuilding. It has a new clutch and new chain and sprocket (I (think) I fixed that problem...had a jumping issue at suspension compression because of a worn rear sprocket). It was a little quirky after I first did the clutch, because when I did it, I did not realize you were suppose to file the burs on the fingers, so for a while it would sometimes drag, but last time I rode it that problem had gone away.

All it should really need is the suspension done, the running issue fixed (might require a top end rebuild) and the suspension gone through, doesn't need to be perfect, just needs to not kill me!

Darrin Darrin
Jun '15

Trust me I won't pressure you guys I just enjoy the pace of everyone else. Just looking to have some fun!!

townie14 townie14
Jun '15

You weigh 300lbs? Unfortunately you could put in the stiffest springs available, thicker oil and crank the settings max stiff..and still be off. It was designed for roughly a 150-160 pound guy.

We're going to need a bigger boat.

It's all muscle Josh, all muscle ;-)

Darrin Darrin
Jun '15

Darrin is not a fat load - I can attest - he's just a gorilla sized mammal - all good I'm a fat toad so I can say that

skippy skippy
Jun '15

How goes it Darrin?

I have time this holiday weekend..to do what, I don't know...

Pic of Kev hitting a mud puddle on yesterdays ride-

Well since you called me out for being massive ;-> first priority is for me to go on a diet!

I don't need to be able to fly 20 feet in the air, just need to be able to ride it without destroying it from bottoming out

My closing got put off, the sellers could not get their paperwork done on time to close today.

I continue to gather up tables, chairs, anything necessary for a great handout place.

Darrin Darrin
Jul '15

I've got one of those portable pop up tents, and several portable chairs.

Don't worry (much) about your weight. Even me at 189 last time I was on a scale, at 5-11, I could use to loose a few pounds..and the wife has me on a watched food intake. (I hate to say diet).

We will get your bike running, and do what we can on the suspension!! No stress here, we are all about having fun! :)

I have no doubt it will fire right up, it always did. And the last time i ran it was only about a year ago. Just needs some tuning and suspension work. Mybe i will swing by and give it a few kicks this week to see if i can get her running

Darrin Darrin
Jul '15

Darrin,

I found a spare, new 'take off' rear shock from a quad I no longer own. Not idea if we can make it fit your bike.. but we can try! Naturally it won't be valved or sprung perfect for your bike..but anything sounds better than what you have now.

Yesterday my nephew come over and rode a motorcycle for the first time in his life.

He just became a teenager so has never used a clutch, or anything like that before.

Within less than 10 minutes ride time, he was going off the jump. Awesome!

Darrin, how are you doing?

Good Josh, thanks for asking. Got back from Bermuda, and have been working on trailer #1 for the property. I also bought a old backhoe :-o

Darrin Darrin
Jul '15

Darren,

I found someone with a bunch of telephone poles lining a long driveway that said we can have them for FREE if we take them all! Would be great to build obstacles with.

Here is a pic of some of them.

Closed on the property on Tuesday, came right home and loaded up the quad and up I went. After about a hour of ripping back and forth on the same 2 trails I realized that it is going to need a lot of work to open up more trails!

I was up there last nigh mowing the waist high grass to make room to get the camper up the hill. I also put up a locked cable across the main entrance with bright yellow protectors on it to keep un-welcomed people out.

Josh, there are a few telephone poles already on the property, and for the trouble of getting them up there it would just probably be easier to use trees, appreciate the thought though.

Darrin Darrin
Jul '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.