HHS boys varsity basketball 3/4

Congratulations to the boys varsity basketball team this evening in their win over Newark Arts. Good luck on Friday when you play the third game of the state playoffs. Come out and support the Tigers against Newark Central on Friday. Should they win the game they will be in the final game for a state title. Go Tigers!

Magpie Magpie
Mar '15

Hackettstown HS vs. Newark Arts - NJSIAA North 2, Group 2 Boys Basketball Tournament game - article & photos:

http://highschoolsports.lehighvalleylive.com/news/article/-4262204789713122692/hackettstown-boys-basketball-team-flies-past-newark-arts-to-advance-to-north-2-group-2-semifinals/#incart_river

Go Tigers!!

Nick Scalera Photo Nick Scalera Photo
Mar '15

If they can win their first sectional title in over 20 years (I think it's about 45 years, but I'd have to research that) .... THAT'S A BIG STORY.

I've been in this area since 1988 and I don't remember a Tigers sectional title in boys basketball (other sports, yes, but not boys hoops) ... maybe someone who has been around here a longer time remembers one. The last one I've heard anyone mention is 1971.

GO TIGERS

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '15

Must be those amazing Cheerleaders and Dance squads :)

Newark Central is a good team, but by the sounds of things the Tigers are on a great path!

Go Tigers!

trekster3- trekster3-
Mar '15

One of those girls out there had ballet training ... she's really someone to watch!

At this point of the season The Tigers will have to adjust to a faster pace of play, because that's what they'll be facing. They'll need someone to come off the bench and give them quality minutes defensively.

The Hickory Huskers did it ... play that Hoosiers music.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '15

City schools are tough,they play street ball,fast and hard ! They need to work the shot,and play the clock on offense,press full court on defense. Thats tough with a light bench!

They are all 6-3 and can shoot. Two of them can also handle and shoot. Newark Central better not take them lightly

Tiger toss Tiger toss
Mar '15

Just a reminder to come out this evening and support the team!

Magpie Magpie
Mar '15

Unfortunately Hackettstown lost to a rough and tough Newark Central team 69-48.
Joe Ivin led the Tigers with 14 pts and James Britt had 13 in the first half, tough ending but a great season for all, Hackettstown finished with a 20-10 overall record

big sports fan big sports fan
Mar '15

I think that the HHS plays good bu they don't use the bench at all
And that's a shame , they have some kids on the bench who could
Help but they don't use them.

Tiger fan
Mar '15

I've watched a majority of the games, even the away ones. I can tell you that they have used the bench, some nights the whole bench. I can remember one game were the bench was subbed in and they had about 12 points scored upon them in less than a minute it seemed. One night a young player had the ball stolen from him not once, but twice in a row. Other nights the bench did well. With the seniors graduating I look forward to those coming up in the ranks next season. These boys have had the chance to play in the H/W/S tournament all the way to the final game and the chance to play in the state playoff this season, which should be a help in experience for next year.

It was great to see a packed house this evening to support the team.

Thanks to the team for a great run.

Magpie Magpie
Mar '15

great season boys both on and off the court, these boys do a lot of community work as well, Coach M has them involved. Fun team to watch and glad they accomplished as much as they did. Playing in the Holiday Tournament in FL; at the NBA arena in PA, 2 seed in states and 1 seed for Hunt & Warren in the HWS tournament. I am sure it was very exciting for them- great memories.

tigerfan tigerfan
Mar '15

Congrats to HHS Boys Basketball.(boys)
20 win season
Conference Champs
Finals HWS Tourney(1st time for any group 2 school)
Group 2 sectional semis (1st time in 50 years)
3rd place Fla Holiday Tourney
6 conference all stars
1st team. Logan Allen, Jeremy Dell Valle
2nd team. Andrew Begley, James Britt, Jo Ivan
H. Mention. Ian Hall

Tiger Hoops Tiger Hoops
Mar '15

Actually the bit about it being the first time into the state sectional semi's in 50 years is not correct.....they made it that far in either the 1998-1999 season or the 1999-2000 season I forget which it was, but it was definitely one of those. Maybe you meant first time in 15 years?!?!....Brandon Zaleski (sp??) led the Tigers that year, best male basketball player hands down for Hackettstown as those who remember him will attest since I've been watching them beginning in the late 80's. They were actually only one basket away from advancing even farther that year....heartbreaking loss. The late Scott Tomlinson coached them then. Good year for the tigers this year, it was enjoyable though and they had some talented outside shooters.

Born To Run
Apr '15

Michael McDonaugh is an absolute fool and needs to resign as head coach. He has no idea how to coach and is an embarrassment to Hackettstown sports.

Andre Francis Andre Francis
Apr '15

The guys at the barber shop were saying the same thing in Hoosiers.

Brandon Zaleski is probably the best Tiger player I've seen since the late 90s, this year's team could have used his rebounding and defense. He was one of the best free throw shooters I've seen at the high school level, and he went to the stripe often, with power moves to the basket.

Mike Palko (Class of 72) got an astounding 1,000 career rebounds and played on the only Rutgers team that ever went to the NCAA D-1 Final Four (the Scarlet Knights were East Regional champs with a 32-0 record). I was fortunate enough to be a media member at that Final Four (won by Indiana, still the last undefeated champion) ... it was at the Philadelphia Spectrum.

Let us not forget Mike Palko.

I worked for a South Jersey paper and I remember asking, after looking over the roster, where's Hackettstown?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

Three of the five players on the All-Warren first team are from Hackettstown.

Congratulations to Logan Allen, Jeremy DelValle, and Joe Ivin.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.