Panther Valley Roads

Cars are stuck on the hill near the tennis courts.

Has anyone else noticed the difference in snow removal this year?

WaitingforSpring WaitingforSpring
Mar '15

no - I thought the snow removal has been good --- I came in a bit ago - we went slowly on the hills but did ok ---

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '15

I think they have been doing a great job in the Valley, haven't noticed any difference.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Mar '15

The cars are not stuck now, and the plows are out.

Darleen Darleen
Mar '15

Thanks for the update.

WaitingforSpring WaitingforSpring
Mar '15

I slid and then was hit about 1.5 hours ago. Nobody's fault and nobody hurt, most important, but I think the snow removal has been slow. They seem to wait until people are stuck or a few inches have accumulated. I have learned to lower my expectations in PV. Gated communities are a ruse and not my style. But financially it does work for now.

Glad you're okay ESS and hopefully there's not too much damage.

Thanks. No damage, thankfully or injuries, most important. Just miffed at PV

Ess - have you let management know your concerns? If not - it would be helpful if you do ---glad you are ok

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '15

I will let them know tomorrow but have little faith in change. It's all about the bottom line vs. safety. The plow company is probably told to start at a certain time. The association is more concerned over whether your new windows meet their color requirement. LoL

Ess - there is a tendency to talk about problems here - but not take the issue to someone who could make a change---generally plowing companies are told to wait till 2 inches on the ground - but our main road with the hills needs quicker attention...

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '15

We need to either ....stay off the roads....or... if on the roads.... please go SLOW....on hills...drive in a Lower Gear...you will have much better traction...try it ....it works...Please Be Safe !!

EdwardPatrick EdwardPatrick
Mar '15

I believe it's based on snow amounts. I actually saw someone get out of a Panther valley truck. Get out measuring tape and measure the snow on the sidewalk and leave. About an hour later the plows came thru. Stupid. If it's unsafe, they should be plowing.

NoUseForAname NoUseForAname
Mar '15

roads were very bad around 4-4:30 today. this wasn't limited to panther valley. plows didn't get out quick enough. rte 80, 46 through budd lake and netcong all very bad.

brown bear
Mar '15

until we heat all the roads everywhere - there are going to be many times that roads are slippery - hey - this is New Jersey - the great northeast - this is life in the winter-
the key is to be careful and stay in if you can---if I were willing to give up my 45-51 mpg prius, I'd get an SUV - but I'm not - so.............fortunately retired I can stay home most of the time when it's hazardous out -
I can't imagine any way that any place could clear snow the minute it falls and continue to do so until it stops - nice but impossible

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '15

The other key is traction control. Most modern cars have it except for the cheapest models. Additionally, if you have rear wheel drive without snow tires and traction control forget it, you are going to get stuck...

I drove rear wheel drive Lincoln Town Cars with traction control for over ten years, and found that if I was driving in snow, turning the traction control OFF would help me power up an incline. With the traction control on, the instant one rear wheel starts to slip, the power to both drive wheels is cut off resulting in no forward movement. With it off, the wheel opposite the one slipping continues to receive power and keeps turning, so as long as that wheel can move you forward you'll likely move the slipping wheel along to a place where it too will regain traction. Of course, you can't race along like an idiot either.

As far as the issue of plowing the roads, has anyone else noticed that there appears to be a shortage of salt again? I'm in Mansfield, and all they are spreading here is sand; we haven't seen salt in the salt shed for over a week. If you plow without having anything to spread on the surface while it's still snowing, you're likely to create an icy condition; at least having just an inch of snow sometimes provides better traction than replacing that snow with ice.

Of course, in a perfect world everyone would know how to drive in the snow...not race around at 50 mph in your pickup truck tailgating whoever is in front of you or putz along at ten miles an hour on route 57 like the clown a whole long line of us were caught behind yesterday afternoon.

JerryG JerryG
Mar '15

In my opinion, PV has been doing a very good job this year. In fact, almost too good, because I regularly see them scraping up less than an inch of snow (which really just destroys roads and creates pothotes at that point).

Of course, living in north east you will have times when they can't plow everything right away but that should not be a surprise. Any FWD or AWD car with decent tires should handle 1-2 inches of snow even up a hill.

"I drove rear wheel drive Lincoln Town Cars with traction control for over ten years, and found that if I was driving in snow, turning the traction control OFF would help me power up an incline. "

Traction control and ABS generally suck for any *known* poor conditions. They are good for unexpected changes in traction as you're driving along, but if there is snow, ice, gravel, mud (etc.) that you are aware of, you'll generally do better without the "assistance", assuming you aren't a complete idiot driver.

In a lot of situations, traction control will kill your engine power so that you can't start moving (that's fun when you're half way across a lane pulling out of a parking lot), and ABS will modulate the brakes so that you can't stop moving.

I parked on some snow/ice yesterday to go fishing, and with traction control turned on the truck was useless to get out of the spot, even in 4WD (although it certainly made a lot of noise as the system tried to brake certain wheels, etc.). I would still be there if I couldn't turn it off (and lock the rear differential).

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Mar '15

I long for the pre-ABS days when I could pump my brakes and retain good control of my car, instead of pushing on the pedal and hoping to stop in time.

JerryG JerryG
Mar '15

Deep snow yes, otherwise traction control works although the quality of the implementation varies by make and model...

I live on cedar waxwing, and the first plow came through at 7.30Pm. second time I noticed late plowing. The guys do a great job just short staffed I bet. The real concern for me is the damage bald eagle has suffered b/c of the cold.

msportbiker msportbiker
Mar '15

The only time I've ever had a problem moving in snow of any depth was with the traction control on. I've never lost traction, started slipping, or gotten stuck in snow with the traction control turned off.

JerryG JerryG
Mar '15

Of more concern to me is the condition of Bald Eagle Road. It's seems to be badly heaved up plus at the pot holes, especially between the gate and Cardinal. It's going to need some work come Springtime. This is my first winter in a townhouse, prior to that I lived in a single family home in PV. I've been pleased with the snow clearing of front walks and driveways!

Jersey Girl Jersey Girl
Mar '15

I am totally sure they will repair the paving............They really can't do it now beyond patching and those never last. Re clearing snow - we all want to be first............want our street, our walk, our driveway first. Obviously that's impossible. Having lived in 2 other complexes, I am extremely impressed with what they are able to do in such a huge place.
I am quick to call or email when something needs to be done or redone - but that 's a rare occurance.

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '15

Re: Panther Valley Roads

Update on cedar waxwing: as of 10pm, tues Mar 3, not one plow truck or salter. If they cant get the job done, they should be refunding part of the fees. They should also send out messages warning of their ineptitude.

msportbiker msportbiker
Mar '15

Did you call the office? There must be an emergency number. If not call the guardhouse.
There's not much we can do to help.

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.