Where to get wigs?

I have a rather strange request. I am in need of a wig for someone who is losing their hair (duh) due to liver disease. She won't be starting the proper medication until May because paper work takes forever and she is on the very bottom of the transplant list. She has very little money since she is too ill to work and I myself can't even afford to buy her one, as much as I would like too. She doesn't even leave the house because of her hair and it's just all around making her feel bad. If anyone could either donate a decent wig or turn me to the right direction to get one, I would appreciate it. It would help you self esteem greatly and get her out of the house and feeling better about herself.

Smack Smack
Feb '15

Here are some suggestions from a similiar thread a while back. Her insurance may cover the expense of the wig.

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/594894

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Feb '15

Merle Norman in Panther Valley Mall is where my MIL got hers

skippy skippy
Mar '15

Got mine there in january. The lady there is great. If shes looking for a good wig and not expensive try QVC. I went on there and they had wigs for under 80 bucks i got one as a backup n it is great!!!!!

Lvmom3 Lvmom3
Mar '15

Smack - first there must be some support and services available to her - possibly through the doc/hospital - Second - if nothing else works - get a cost estimate and start a small crowd funding site - I know I'd contribute.............

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '15

I second Merle Norman.

auntiel auntiel
Mar '15

I ordered a "just in case" wig while going through cancer treatments through Paula Wigs- www.PaulaYoung.com...and it was very nice and very inexpensive. This company not only sells synthetic hair wigs but also human hair wigs.

joyful joyful
Mar '15

Wife goes to Broomes on Speedwell Avenue in Morristown.
Really nice, and they have everything there that wife ever needed. Clip in falls and complete wigs. Not expensive either.

http://www.broomesbeautycharm.com/

Embryodad Embryodad
Mar '15

Folks - define "not expensive" - the poster spoke of a woman basically without any spare change - who has been unable to work - and who has a long road before, hopefully, treatment and recovery...........

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '15

The Paula Young catalogues have wig prices starting, I believe at $25...and they send special sales throughout the year of prices even less than that on discontinued wig styles, ...I really was amazed at how nice and, I feel, inexpensive for the quality they are....

joyful joyful
Mar '15

Paula Young wigs are great. There are many styles, colors and different sizes. In my new catalog the prices have gone up. $40.00 is the cheapest. You will find deals on line. Going to a shop will be much more expensive.

I thought Brooms closed down in August.....if they are still there, they are great of course.....however, I thought he retired....

I did a little looking on line to go below "Not Expensive" .... "Less Costly"...."Cheap"...
whatever suits one's thoughts of the above.....

..........."FREE"........ below! ....

ACS ( Definition ) is "American Cancer Society"..... in this instance!

If you are interested in obtaining a free wig, contact ACS at 1-877-227-1596 for details. You may need to contact your local chapter directly to find out exactly what is available in your community.

Embryodad Embryodad
Mar '15

Thanks guys! I'm looking for a real hair work and I see that they cost a bit more than fake. I'll look around at the above suggestions and see what they have. She currently lives in New Mexico and is pretty ill so it's hard for her to get out. I was going to find her a long haired wig and pay for her to go to the salon to get it cut how she wants it. She will be without a lot of her hair for a long time (a year or so) which is why I would like to find a high quality natural hair wig. I wasn't aware that insurance covers some of the costs of wigs. I'm also wondering if they even would since it's not chemotherapy hair loss, just a liver that doesn't want to work! Thank you all for your suggestions and tips.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.