When you are absolutely sure that what you know is "right"....

This applies to all of us, whether our religion be Catholicism, Statism, or Sciencism:

http://www.space.com/28681-theory-no-big-bang.html

The only certain thing in the world is that knowledge *will* change the things we are certain about, so the next time we get to arguing a point and feel the need to name-call the other guy about being so wrong or stupid or idiotic or some other nonsensical thing, remember that it is impossible to be 100% *certain*.

But we'll still try, I know... ;-)

justintime justintime
Feb '15

Makes sense to me, JIT.

This theory may be right or wrong, but, for example, people have been eating margarine for years because saturated fat and dietary cholesterol were so bad. Coconut oil was actually considered to be one of the worst fats.

Oh, 30 or so years later they find out they weren't quite right.

Always be suspicious when someone says "everyone knows" or "studies have shown."

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Feb '15

One of my "heroes" of thought is John Stuart Mill. He holds to the idea (in his essay "On Liberty") that all ideas should be held up for discussion and that to hold up any idea as either completely right or completely wrong is a disservice to free society.

http://www.sparknotes.com/philosophy/onliberty/section3.rhtml

This is a fairly decent outline of his essay, though to understand it better, you really have to read it, though I warn you, it is not a "fluff" read by any means. I read it in High School and have a copy of his writings, but even after many reads over the years, it's not something most can speed read - LOL.

Of course it's written by someone who was learning Ancient Greek at age 3 - check the biography section of this entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stuart_Mill

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '15

Science, unlike most religions, will modify itself when a better theory comes. Einstein's General Relativity did not explain the very small (Quantum mechanics) or very large (Multiverse). To be fair, theories on the very large are magical as when things get very small. For example Quarks can exist at more than one location at the same time. We may harness this power to compute at extremely fast speeds one day; and we may destroy other infinitely small worlds in the process...

"When you are absolutely sure that what you know is "right"...has to do with one's convictions, personal beliefs and their life experiences. No matter how you look at it..emotions and personal experience (which is knowledge) sometimes outweighs logical scientific theories. It's only human nature. Most people are preconditioned to certain beliefs...some may consider that as being narrow minded but I think it's a matter of personal choice and what you feel in your gut. Whether it's logical or not.

Justintime, I know you base things on logic and not from an emotional standpoint, but unfortunately the majority of people make decisions (most likely subconsciously) through emotions.

positive positive
Feb '15

There should be a real-life Hackettstown Salon: a gathering of the intellectuals who have posted above, for the singular purpose of discussing interesting ideas and theories of today. Salons used to be a thing (notably in Paris)... they need to be revived.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '15

+1,0000 @ Positive!

joyful joyful
Feb '15

Positive, this is survival behavior like it or not. We are all evolved from "ancestors" that had a brutally difficult life; where survival comes first...

Yes positive, I agree. For whatever reason, this scene always stands out in my mind:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jT6h2CUWLzQ

Justintime Justintime
Feb '15

Thanks for the links Phil D. They are now in the queue...

Justintime Justintime
Feb '15

Re: When you are absolutely sure that what you know is

+!,000 ijay You all have seen me write before that "Life is survival". My guide is the good book and it's promise.

Old Gent Old Gent
Feb '15

To me, while you can apply all the math, science, facts and stats to come up with your "right" conclusion, in the end, all decisions are made based on the gut. Every one.

Why is that? Because only God knows everything, we don't, never will.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Feb '15

I remember a quote from the main character in a TV show I watched. Another character asked him if he was certain about something. He replied "Under the certainty of heaven, nothing is certain, but this as near as a man may aim". We can only be as certain as possible about something based on what we know at the time.

JBJSKJ JBJSKJ
Feb '15

In the moment, I would rather be intuitive than right.

Over time, I would rather be right.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Feb '15

The only time I know I am right is when I know you are wrong But Right or wrong there is always maybe its like is you glass 1/2 full or half empty the only for sure answer is its a glass all so we have the well walked trail and the one less traveled for me it is the less traveled path life is not a set thing it changes with each breath
be well be fare and love each other blessed be to all

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Feb '15

Very true MrG and Caged.

positive positive
Feb '15

The only thing I know is "Death & Taxes"! LOL

Christine Christine
Feb '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.