Cost to tape/spackle and finish drywall

Cost to tape/spackle and finish drywall

We just hung 2 walls with drywall and would like a professional finish for taping and sanding, etc. The 2 walls are each about 7x12 ft. Prob half of the walls are covered with floor to ceiling windows and a door, so actual space is prob 7x12

We just got an estimate for $475 to do the job. This seems pretty high considering the actual drywall area.

Any comments are appreciated!

Photo attached

thanks!
Bill

Bill S Bill S
Feb '15

That is a fair price for that size job.

I agree with Greg. It sounds fair.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '15

Same here

dadof2
Feb '15

You have to think of what's involved. Someone has to go buy materials, load them into his truck, drive to your house, and unload them, all before getting to work. He's going to have to cover everything, so he doesn't make a mess. And he has to put on multiple coats (typically the taping plus another two coats). That entails either coming back a coupe of times, or using quick-dry spackle and sitting around for an hour between coats. And he needs to sand everything. And he has to clean everything up when finished. And if the drywall job wasn't done well, that requires even more work.

It's a pretty fair price, all things considered.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Feb '15

Don't hire yet. I've got a buddy who's a retired carpenter and could use a little work. He does good work and I'm sure he'll give you a better price. I'll talk to him today and I'll make sure to have him contact you through H.Life.

nufsaid
Feb '15

Jersey wolf

Since when does a client have to pay for a contractor to load his truck and drive to your house?

reynolds
Feb '15

Overhead is always included in prices. It can't be any other way, unless you don't want to be in business...

justintime justintime
Feb '15

For what it's worth....just keep in mind "things that are different , are not the same".

The retired carpenter will not likely have insurance coverage ...which is something to bear in mind if a ladder is involved with windows nearby .

Steven Steven
Feb '15

reynolds, the client ultimately has to pay for everything. If a carpenter needs to buy a new saw blade after every ten jobs, then when he calculates the price to do a job, he needs to also figure in 1/10th the cost of a new saw blade. Every aspect of the job and overhead has to be considered, or ultimately, the carpenter is not going to make enough money, and he'll be out of business. It can sometimes make his price seem excessive--like he is personally taking home hundreds of dollars per hour--but that is the oft-unseen nature of running a small business or working for yourself.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Feb '15

Look at the services section of the classifieds. They always have handyman services and carpenters looking for new customers.

Linda Linda
Feb '15

Thanks for all the input. We've hired the original contractor. Updates to follow.

nufsaid...appreciate the recommendation, but we've decided on someone else

Bill S Bill S
Feb '15

I have to say, can you do it yourself?? You can do a little at a time. I taught my self how to tape and spackle - it doesn't take a rocket scientist. I've been pretty good at it. Here is a video - http://homerenovations.about.com/video/How-to-Mud-and-Tape.htm - you may have to copy and paste it, but after you do one room, you get pretty good at it. If you buy one roll of tape, get the already prepared spackle, get a spreader (metal), and a sanding block (fine sandpaper) - Do a little at a time. Good luck!!! (PS - then you don't have to worry about insurance, overhead, etc.)

TerryLynn TerryLynn
Feb '15

Walls are easier, and less messy, than ceilings...

Pay the money this is a real skill job, not an learn as you go deal, trust me its hard enough to find a pro thats any good

eapos eapos
Feb '15

Hi,
Would anyone be able to recommend a cost effective good sparkler in the area?

Thank you

crichval crichval
Jul '16

Crichval - Frank Scarano 9082468062

animal lover animal lover
Jul '16

Yes I can. Please PM for his contact info. As an aside he has 40 plus years experience. He is excellent, and very fair. Local as well.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.