Timber Harvesting Company Recommendations

Has anyone had standing timber harvested on their land, and if you've had a positive experience with a company, could you recommend them to me?

Negative experiences or companies to avoid - you can also PM me! Would be nicer to let me know privately.

Looking to have oak, maple, ash and birch removed as part of our forestry management plan -- a shelterwood regime overseen by a professional forester (not clearcutting).

Thanks in advance.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '15

I used Valleau Forestry to harvest Black Walnut from my property. They are out of Layton Nj. Great experience with them. Troy Valleau is the owner and he can be reached at 862-268-1581.

M & K M & K
Feb '15

The best thing you can do, IMO, is to work with a really good forester and have your forester find the logger and stay involved in the process. A lot of landowners get taken advantage of by unscrupulous loggers.

gadfly gadfly
Feb '15

Try Tims Timber 908-850-1437.

Thank you for these recommendations. I am in talks with and receiving bids from these two companies, plus two more.

@gadfly - we have a professional forester.

M&K - and anyone else who has had this done: did you let the loggers take their fee as a percentage of the total price paid by the mill? It seems like it would be advantageous for us to pay a set fee for the work, as opposed to paying them by percentage, as most of what is being harvested is high quality Red Oak.

Thanks again for opinions and advice - I know this is kind of an arcane topic and most people have not gone through this process, so advice from anyone who has is very appreciated.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '15

I guess you would say they took a fee. We use to go down south for the winter. While I was gone they came in and harvested walnut. When we returned a couple if months later we got paid. I don't remember all the specifics with it.

M & K M & K
Feb '15

Re: Timber Harvesting Company Recommendations

Just want to update this thread. I ended up going with Patrick Steffener of North Jersey ArborCare. He took the initiative and reached out to me when he saw the topic. He is AWESOME! Very, very happy with his work, and really great guy. I so wish I could post a vid of him taking down a 100-foot red oak with surgical precision. Right through all the surrounding trees without damaging a single one. (And he's done this like 50 times so far!) Kind of amazing to watch. Highly recommend.

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.