Cafe - would work on Main St.?

Does anyone think that a cafe with great coffee, wood fired artisan breads, individual woodfired pizzas, panini, gelato and multiple soup offerings would be welcome to the Main Street of Hackettstown?

chef
Feb '15

I certainly do!

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Feb '15

You had me at wood artisan breads!

Bessie Bessie
Feb '15

I would be a frequent customer ... I Love the idea.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Feb '15

Do not over price the goods ,and do not get a place with high rent.

rapmuzik rapmuzik
Feb '15

Love the idea!!

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Feb '15

Sounds great...consider a few salads, gluten free offering and vegan type dishes, and it would be perfect!

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Feb '15

Home made type soups got me with a great dipping bread and some cheeses and different coffees yum

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Feb '15

Sounds good, but try not to do too many things. It's better to do a couple things really well than 10 things average.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '15

I think it's a great idea and would certainly be welcome --- just resign yourself to the fact that there will always be people on this forum complaining that your prices are too high, your portions are too small, and your staff is rude.

In spite of that, I wish you much success.

And Calico is right, do a small menu, do it well, and don't try to be all things for all people.

JerryG JerryG
Feb '15

I started a thread like this last year. I still think it would be a good idea.

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/512391

fujixt1 fujixt1
Feb '15

I'm sold :) Good luck in your endeavor!

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Feb '15

I don't think the pizza fits the style of such a place, but the artisan breads with various dips and spreads would be wonderful. I think in addition to coffee you should also have matcha. I have been drinking it for years after having it in Japan, and it is suddenly becoming the rage and taking off in NYC.

hapiest girl
Feb '15

YES - Come in and talk to us some time :) - We're here to Help!

Wendy @ Hkt BID Wendy @ Hkt BID
Feb '15

I would love to see this. I think a business like this would thrive given the potential college market and the lack of something like this on Main St.

taxedtodeath taxedtodeath
Feb '15

i think it's a great idea and would certainly be welcome --- just resign yourself to the fact that there will always be people on this forum complaining Okay I'll start first thing don't quit your day job because after a month or so as the novelty wears off your customer base will be a few college students which will disappear come summer long with your soup sales who would want to eat hot soup on a 90° day a couple vegetarians and some gluten free moms and some want to be hipster's and as for artisan breads it's nice but it would be like your customer base once the novelty wears off so would your sales it's not the kind of thing people around here would buy every day or even weekly for that matter maybe once in a while people would buy one. Open up a make your own food business what mean by that is open up a place where you sell hamburgers made fresh a good foot long hot dog good sausage all on buns alone with taco shells and tortilla wraps and have some steam tables and cold tables packed full with everything you could possibly put on those items from pickles to coleslaw chili cheese tomatoes lettuce sautéed peppers sautéed onions raw onions just to name a few and let the people build their own you have to think of where you are warren County is rural meat and potatoes people cater to them and you'll have business cater to college students and hipsters and you won't

oldred
Feb '15

Yes, please!

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Feb '15

Why stop at bread... how about some artisan cheeses and salumi as well?

ianimal ianimal
Feb '15

Love the idea! Also agree with Calico696 to carry at first a few select/unique items on the menu that you just know will sell and don't overdue for a while until you get the feel of things. Wishing you the best!

joyful joyful
Feb '15

That sounds like a horrible idea.

brown bear
Feb '15

Artisan breads and vegan meals would be a good start. I'd come, I'm getting smart about what I eat in my old age.

After you're off to a successful start, you can start adding on to the menu as long as you can hire more staff.

There will always be negative people on social media, no matter what you do.

A coach I interviewed once said, "I tell my players not to listen to negative fans. They probably have a woman who dominates them at home."

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

Get me some gf options and I'll be a fan for life. Also, there is nothing like good, fresh coffee done right. Green beans is good for what it's worth, but we need real coffee!

njdevs2
Feb '15

Also, put clip-coupons into the Warren Reporter --- that'll get people in your doors.

Give people a chance to win some kind of prize, that gets people excited, too.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

You gave me my laugh of the day, oldred!

hapiest girl
Feb '15

YES.

mohepinoke mohepinoke
Feb '15

Last summer I shopped at farmer's markets in different towns. Mt Olive definitely had huge selection of artisan breads and cheese, people were buying them for a week. Not sure about the one in Hackettstown - but you can search the forum. There is a new bakery opened on Main a couple of months ago, creperie is coming soon to Main. There are Starbucks in area (even drive-thru one). Take a stroll around the area, there are many eateries in the area - and see what is offered, what is setting (cafe, restaurant, store, etc) and who is eating/ordering, what, how many are repeating customers and how often they come. At the end - it's not about "the opening", it's about staying in business, in profitable business.

IMHO - Add Tea & WiFi and the seats will be full.

Best of luck!

H-town Jul H-town Jul
Feb '15

Location, location, location. If there is no place to park, think twice. But I love the idea. Maybe include fondue on the menu? Oh and one more thing....hopefully it won't be of the Spanish persuasion!

America America
Feb '15

I agree....location is key. Parking is a huge consideration, especially in the winter. If there isn't a parking lot nearby, then you have lost my business..though I do like your concept.

wonderful wonderful
Feb '15

I can't believe we don't have a coffee shop/cafe already. I've never been to a college town that doesn't have one.

Wi Fi would be a must

darwin darwin
Feb '15

a coffee shop with some nice baked goods would be nice. crumb cake, etc. closest good bakery other than shoprite is muheisens in washington. i wonder if the idea sounds too much like panera? they do seem to always be busy.

Poppy Girl
Feb '15

Sounds good! How about cheese fondue? The artisan cheese and meat sounds good too.

HT456 HT456
Feb '15

I love the idea and agree strongly about the parking. Small plates, flatbreads are very much on trend. Love the thought of artisanal breads, coffee house, etc. If you add artisan cheeses and charcuterie, keep your hours open late enough for ppl to bring in a bottle of wine!!

Foodie Foodie
Feb '15

Maybe include Croissants, Chocolate Truffles, and Crepe's? One more tid bit....hopefully it won't be of the French persuasion :>)

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Feb '15

I am curious how everyone thinks parking is the key! MOST of the 4 Municipal Parking lots are partially used all day. Why does everyone have to park within 10 ft. of a store but will go to a mall and park blocks away? Its a misconception people. THERE IS NOT A PARKING PROBLEM in Hackettstown.

*Stella G's parking lot is full most Saturdays and Sundays, I walk across the street and park behind Pandan Room.

* When going to Harpers and there is no street parking I walk 4 stores away and park in the small lot on Plane St.

*When there is no parking near Fruit Mex Store I walk across the street behind Dominos to park.

*When there is no street parking in front o of Hackettstown Pet (which is rare) I go behind the store and go in back way.

* When there is no parking at Jacks Scissor Wiz I Park in Stella G's and roll my wheelchair husband up a half a block (which is no where near the distance in Rockaway Mall.)

AND don't tell me no one knows where the lots are! there are plenty of signs and large ones too!

OK out of Rant!

I say go for it but my concern is how much money you have. It is very costly to open anything that concerns food. You are dealing with laws that are strict with the Board of health, (State, County and Town) With cooking on premises be prepared for a reno of about $200,000. I LOVE THE IDEA!

Christine Christine
Feb '15

I am in complete agreement with Christine. I shop or stop on Main St almost every day and I never have a problem with parking. Lot's of food competition in and around Main St. Do your research, write a good solid business plan, plan on living on your savings for several years as you will probably not turn a profit for quite a while. Have a good fresh product, reasonable prices and a comfortable welcoming atmosphere.

Firefly Firefly
Feb '15

I too agree with Christine. People have no qualms parking somewhere in Chester and walking up and down all the streets. Yet for some people if you can't park right in front of the Hackettstown business you are patronizing, it's a big problem.
Pretty strange.

hapiest girl
Feb '15

Because Chester has that "destination" town feel. Like Lambertville, New Hope, even Clinton. If you build the environment for a strolling feel then you get the people. Hackettstown is not there yet, not sure what it needs.

Just look at the Chester Website, pretty nice and updated:

http://www.chesterborough.org

Be sure you look the shopping video -- says it all.

Hackettstown has Centenary which is a big plus but Hackettstown fails in the follow through. The BID is just not needed and what it does should be absorbed by the local government which just does not do much...

Can you open something like this?

http://www.nomadpizzaco.com

Parking, did somebody say Parking? Fact is Christine, if many people have a problem with anything, let's say parking. Then parking is a problem even if the people are deluded. And pointing out their delusion won't make them park there. To your points:

*Stella G's parking lot is full most Saturdays and Sundays, I walk across the street and park behind Pandan Room.
MG can no park easily his truck in Stella G lot, it's a nightmare not worthy of attempt.

* When going to Harpers and there is no street parking I walk 4 stores away and park in the small lot on Plane St.
MG says this is the best lot in town, open accessible and easy to see where to go from your spot. I do go to Harpers a lot because of the lot.

*When there is no parking near Fruit Mex Store I walk across the street behind Dominos to park. *When there is no street parking in front o of Hackettstown Pet (which is rare) I go behind the store and go in back way. * When there is no parking at Jacks Scissor Wiz I Park in Stella G's and roll my wheelchair husband up a half a block (which is no where near the distance in Rockaway Mall.)

MG says these lots and the one behind Pandan are not as cramped as Stella G's but more cramped and less accessible than any mall lot. I mean creep down the entrance by HTP off M&M(r)'s Chocolate Aveneue then jog a bit to the right, then jog to the left and if you don't find a spot in those two or three clusterfreak of parking rows, you're out on the other side of town. And then discovering the alleys behind Jacks, or the back door to the Pet Shop, the back door to Jacks, or the creepy dark mugging alley next to HTP all with the beautiful 1930's NY back-of-the-tentement atmospheric landscapes is a quest I have been continuing for over twenty 20 years. Matter of fact, now I fing out at least one more store has a back door....... Do any others have back doors (or are they too afraid of the parking lots.......)

AND don't tell me no one knows where the lots are! there are plenty of signs and large ones too!
MG says, so yeah, I know where the lots are, but I do not know all the secret passageways, the back doors and other tricks that I say, no ---- the signage stinks for that. Plus, many of these lots should be reconfigured and made more spacious and conducive for parking for me to shop there. Make them equal to or better yet, better than my mall experience. Give me a bright yellow brick road to show me the way to spend my money. Pure distance is only one metric; I need to be seduced by easy access, a huge comfort parking zone, and really simple, bright, fast pathways to where those store owners want me to go and where I want to be.

Now my rant is over, carry on.

Feb '15

I agree with you iJay about the college! The problem with that is many long time residents opposed anything that will bring more college students to town. I have no idea why. BUT CC most students all leave by Friday and come back by Monday. They go home to work, play or visit friends. We have to find reasons for them to stay.

I don't however agree with your statement comparing Chester. I looked into Chester to move my business and 90% of the merchants claimed they were just getting by. Many of their businesses have changed hands, closed and/or moved their businesses in the last 5 years. Their demographics are much more different then ours. If you think they can make it here try to convince them to move here and open up.

I have said this in the past and will say it over and over again "DON'T BE PART OF THE PROBLEM BE PART OF THE SOLUTION!" Ask Darwin, he has become a huge asset to the BID board.

Christine Christine
Feb '15

I agree that many/most Chester businesses are struggling, but they do draw many outsiders in the warmer months especially. They hold events that bring outsiders in to spend money -- this is what Hackettstown needs. Centenary give the town clout, without it would it be much better than Oxford...

iJay HBID holds many events and have had success with many of them. My only complaint with the events (and I am on the committee) is many MERCHANTS do not participate or even open for the day. We can't help those that do not want to help themselves. There are many ways they can participate and help themselves. Yet ALOT do not even answer the BID phone calls.

Christine Christine
Feb '15

1) Make Hackettstown a desirable strolling town.
2) Make Hackettstown a desirable strolling town.
3) Make Hackettstown a desirable strolling town.

(of course not today...)

Don't answer BID calls, hmmmm? Maybe the services they offer are not good?

I love the idea. Make it a cafe and make it cozy with free You want the type of place where people want to stay and hang, relax, socialize or read a book. Atmosphere is key. The longer people hang out the more money they spend, at least I do. Forget pizza, too many pizza places in town and it doesn't go with the cafe scene. Artisan breads and gourmet sandwiches are a good idea with yummy baked goods. A few people mentionned fondu and I think that would be quite unique. I personally would have an area with couches, comfy chairs and a fireplace. Make the place cozy with dim lighting and create a serene atmosphere, dark wood usually accomplishes this effect.

Good luck. It sounds great.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Feb '15

It would be amazing if a place like Anthony & sons on Route 10 would open up in this area. Great food, pizza, bread & a super Italian bakery/deli. They do a lot of business up this way & it would be a great take out place for the new Micro Brewery.
Maybe our lovely BID lady can work on that!

GMmom GMmom
Feb '15

I just want a place that's open till ten and has coffee and couches.

fuji
Feb '15

This is a good unique place:

http://rojosroastery.com

Something like this in Hackettstown?

If you are a rider, the Lambertville, NJ location is a good place to stop (clean bathroom too)...

I would love a place like this. Some suggestions below:

-Parking:
Yes there are municipal lots on htown but I'd rather park somewhere that doesn't look like I might come back to my car on blocks. So I'd prefer safe parking, preferably where I can keep an eye on the car.

-wifi is a must
-good coffee at Starbucks or lower prices would work for a lot of people (and attract LV crowd too)
-no coupons or giveaways, coupon clippers are probably not going to be your core market.
-comfortable chairs, some tables.
-no tvs

These, of course, are just my opinions so I am sure some will disagree, but this is the kind of place I would want to spend some $ in.

JamesSkop JamesSkop
Feb '15

Ok Chef so now lots of people have posted their ideas/suggestions, do you have any feedback??

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Feb '15

Heh heh, another dissatisfied parker not lovin the tentament parking horizon.

To me, it's not a matter of money, it's a matter of style. Open em up a bit, make the slots spacious, the aisles easy, some painted walkways with store directions, clean up the building backs a bit, and voilla ----- suburban blight becomes business beckoning beauty. Cut costs by getting college / high school participation in the planning, design, and production.

Make all the lots as or more pleasant than the one by Harper's.

I still like the concept of yellow brick roads showing me the way to spend my money. Just embed the store names on the road and I will follow them gladly.

Feb '15

"Yes there are municipal lots on htown but I'd rather park somewhere that doesn't look like I might come back to my car on blocks. So I'd prefer safe parking, preferably where I can keep an eye on the car. "

On blocks? LMAO, talk about paranoid. I wonder what the car theft rate is in Warren County? Fairly low I would imagine. You wouldn't last 10 seconds east of here.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '15

Calico, I was commenting on the appearance of the municipal lots rather than on the actual likelihood of car theft (hence the "look like"). Also, if you compare the rate of car break-ins in htown vs chester for example, I think you will agree with me that htown take the cake there. As an aside, I moved to htown area recently from Morristown so I think I'd be just fine" East of here".

Mister Google, I completely agree with your suggestions, lots just need a bit of TLC but I'm assuming that is something the town would have to look at, rather than the individual businesses.

JamesSkop JamesSkop
Feb '15

I think there is 1 store on Main St that would work for a Cafe. The store on the corner of Liberty and Main St where the dog groomer was. The owner has done a great job cleaning that store up. Great windows to allow natural light in. right in front of a cross walk, Parking lot right around the corner behind Dominos as well as street parking in front and on Liberty. Looks spacious inside, not sure it there would be enough room for a full kitchen but has enough spacing for counter and lounge area. Close enough that Centenary students can walk. I don’t really see any other store fronts on Main St that would be good for a coffee shop/café, but I may be forgetting about one

darwin darwin
Feb '15

It's a shame Mama Vapes took over the old thrift store. They're really not doing much with that huge space. No idea why they wouldn't have taken a smaller space elsewhere on Main Street. That would have been a nice place for a cafe.

fuji
Feb '15

Yes, I think the town does it but everyone should be involved at some level. Get the best results when everyone pitches in. For schools, it might make a nice project; certainly the before and after pictures would make the grade.

Feb '15

Morristown is yuppie heaven, I think Calico meant a bit more east..

kepa
Feb '15

I'll believe it when I see it.

LeRoy Grimace LeRoy Grimace
Feb '15

Exactly kepa. Like Essex or Hudson Counties. :-)

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '15

The majority of car break ins that were in our area have been in neighborhoods. I would guess teenagers for the most part. As far as actual car thefts. I have not heard of any locally or within town.

Speaking of lots. What is the deal with the lot behind Dominoes? It is all taped off and limited parking back there.

youngnfresh youngnfresh
Feb '15

Since you asked Jersey Girl,

I appreciate all the feedback, relevant and irrelevant. It sounds like the overwhelming majority would find the value in a comfortable, affordable, cafe type establishment in Hackettstown. While I don't have details to provide at the moment, the biggest obstacle is the right location. I have been in Hackettstown my entire life, with a few years away here and there, so I know the demographic. I also know that if you create a product that is superior to the competition, or completely unique, and don't overcharge, while providing a human element (not zombie like service) you will be fine. There are several establishments in Hackettstown that have survived the Great Recession, kudos to them! I will be on the lookout for the right place, any help this forum can give will be appreciated...even you OLDRED (though I will not be creating a feeding trough with a hot dog and fixings bar, sorry)......I am not looking to get rich, just create a town meeting place that I can provide creative, seasonal and local foods for the community to enjoy and hopefully have some fun along the way!

chef
Feb '15

Chef ~ would love to see something like you describe come to town. Wishing you lots of luck with it!!

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Feb '15

I would love to see a good coffee shop combined with a good used book store - a place with artisan breads soup n good coffee sounds fantastic - maybe some nights with jazz music etc - sort of like u see in New England - I think it would do very well and what town needs. A place to go and enjoy at night or during the day other then a bar.

Reanie525i Reanie525i
Feb '15

Good luck, Chef. It sure seems like the town is experiencing a bit of a resurgence. We have some good restaurants and the brewery is on the way. A nice café would sure make it more attractive to stroll around town.

ScreamingButterfly ScreamingButterfly
Feb '15

Can you say BANKRUPTCY!
Have you seen main street lately? Nothing makes it! Small specialty shops are a thing of the past. You'll get a few people the first month and thats it. I bet the dozen or so people who posted its a great idea won't even patronize you. Lots of luck!

madhouse madhouse
Feb '15

Stella's seems to do well, and I love them!!! I don't see why a cafe couldn't do well. I would def go!

NoUseForAname NoUseForAname
Mar '15

I can't think of any small business that's opened in the last year and also closed, besides the Indian place.

fuji
Mar '15

Great idea!! Parking is always a concern on Main Street. Menu should be different. Artisan food is always great, flat breads, salads, specialty salads,good selection of coffee and teas(chai). Maybe even a few specialty juice mixes. Start out with a small menu of stuff that you can do add ons to, like adding meat to a salad or avacodo to a sandwich. Keep inventory down until you find out what people are going for. Have great specials everyday and get the feel of the customers you're drawing. And be resonible. Don't look to get rich off selling sandwiches. Be consistent with the quality of your food because people notice. Word of mouth is the key to success in the restaurant industry. Make it a warm atmosphere that makes people want to come and hang out with a friend and have conversation. And also set standards for your staff. You can't do it alone so be sure that you have a good team behind you.

Tracey Tracey
Mar '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.