Snow 1/24/15

What's the skinny on Saturday's storm? All NOAA is saying right now is 50% chance of snow.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

From what i see it's a dusting to 2 inches. As you head south and east amounts increase a bit.

Models look quite active the next 2+ weeks.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Jan '15

Thanks Bryan, you're the best!

I can't seem to break away from this place GC haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Jan '15

I know it's still early, but what is the expected time frame for Saturday? Of course my mom and I have theater tickets on Broadway for the afternoon.

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
Jan '15

Haha, the Godfather of weather. Bryan will always give us a forecast we can't refuse :-)
Thank you, Godfather.

Consigliere
Jan '15

Yes, I'm wondering about timing as well. I have a birthday party in Bethlehem at 3:00.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

Hahaha, Bryan!! Glad I came on to check...just in case :-).
Please keep the updates coming. I'm torn about this one. I'd love a blizzard but maybe on Friday or Sunday instead. Saturday is just too busy.

ilovethisthread! ilovethisthread!
Jan '15

Thanks Bryan! Calico, I am trying to narrow down the time too. My sister is graduating from college and I need to be in Northampton, PA by 10am.

weebiekins weebiekins
Jan '15

NOAA is saying 60% chance of snow before 1 pm. and rain/snow after that. 2-4 inches predicted at this time.

Also seeing snow in forecast for Monday. Will start a thread for that storm too.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

Thanks Calico. Looks like I'll be heading to PA much earlier than anticipated lol

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Jan '15

A Saturday event... although minor at 1 to 2" of white and ice / rain mix, is a perfect event to hold off or slow down on the road / street treatment; so as to extend the time swath into a late evening...and into a Sunday Morning Cluster.
Gonna need that Overtime Pay $$$ To pay for last years Christmas gifts, or to fill the cup in the cupboard for the up-coming Vacation Plans.

"Happy Motoring"

Embryodad Embryodad
Jan '15

"Put a Tiger in your Tank"

ianimal ianimal
Jan '15

NOAA briefing package -

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/phi/briefing/packages/current_briefing.pdf

Re: Snow 1/24/15

So, WTF?!?! We get the NOAA briefing package calling for 3"-6", yet the NOAA snow map still shows "no snowfall expected within the next 36 hours" ?!?! LOL

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jan '15

JR - That's why you give up on NOAA and wait for Bryan. ;-)

JR....they have a new Winter Weather page....they no longer update the old one.

http://www.weather.gov/phi/winter

Bemused Bemused
Jan '15

JR - that link is old. I told them it was confusing and to take it down but obviously i have no pull :)

http://www.weather.gov/phi/winter

I was driving all day yesterday and home today. Haven't tracked too closely. My Brett Favre gunslinger attempt at a forecast would be for a good thump of snow roughly 12 am to 12pm. With 3-6" ending as a mix/freezing drizzle. I feel like there is a small chance a few local spots could get a bit more than 6 so just something to keep in the back of your mind.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Jan '15

Thanks Bryan, you're the best!

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

Hooray Bryan!!!! We need you!

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Jan '15

The ride home from work tomorrow morning (7AM) from Essex County looks to be real interesting. Grrr...

Be careful Vic! It will probably be a mess at that hour.

The party I was supposed to go to tomorrow afternoon in Bethlehem has been rescheduled for Sunday afternoon due to the weather.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

We have a party to go to at noon Sunday out of town too, Calico... not good to hear yours has been rescheduled from Sat. to Sunday but good for us as that must mean Sunday the roads will be good enough to travel..

joyful joyful
Jan '15

Thanks for the new link!

Jan '15

Thank you Bryan!

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Jan '15

Just in case anyone is looking for someone to shovel snow tomorrow, don't forget to check HL Classifieds. I see someone posted an add for reasonable shoveling.

Bessie Bessie
Jan '15

Ladies and Gentlemen, snow has entered the building. I repeat, snow is in the building. ;-)

Snow kidding.

I was the first flake ... (-;

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '15

The snow didn't reach Hopatcong until about Midnight, but the first inch was down within 1/2 hour - by 4AM we had about 8" down and it's still coming fast. Where did that 3-6" go that they said "might" be possible if it came inland?

I remember Channel 2 News saying they weren't concerned at all about today's storm, but were looking at a possible larger event on Monday. I guess Lonnie Quinn doesn't "always get it right", so maybe we shouldn't "listen to Lonnie" as their commercial says;-)

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '15

Looking out in the dark, easily 6"+ in Mansfield. Dang. Need the exercise anyway :(

WAHOOOO got way more then expected!!!!!!!! Absolutly lovin it!!!!!

Darrin Darrin
Jan '15

Road conditions?

I have a uhaul rented for today. Haha.

fujixt1 fujixt1
Jan '15

At least 6" here in Oxford and still coming down. So much for 3-6. Anybody know how much longer it's going to snow?

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

Severe weather alert for Warren county, received around 3:30, a.m., said 6 to 8 inches
ending around 11:00 a.m. I guess time will tell though. No car or salt truck/ snow plow activity on my street since I have been awake for the past 30 minutes...

Jan '15

6 inches in Broadway. Roads have been plowed to blacktop. Its the end of the driveway that's not passable yet:(

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '15

Our lane has not been plowed yet ...just one big WinterWonderland in front of my home this morning. That is OK..we are retired...have plenty of bread and milk...fire is going...so just going to "hunker down" and enjoy the day...

joyful joyful
Jan '15

Weather Underground shows Hackettstown with 7.1".

...Warren County... Allamuchy 7.5 650 am 1/24 trained spotter Hackettstown 7.1 700 am 1/24 trained spotter Blairstown 6.0 600 am 1/24 trained spotter

Mr. Resident Mr. Resident
Jan '15

My street is now plowed and blacktop is showing.
A few cars are out and a about, but not mine!
It doesn't appear to be doing much of anything at the moment.
Snow total so far is about 7 inches.

Jan '15

Rt 57 looks fine in PM (Mansfield) Cars are out. Just be careful.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jan '15

Looks like it's over, I see nixle changed from ending at 1pm to ending at 11am...

And I just now got a new nixle saying it's been extended to again end at 1pm! And it's a Winter Storm WARNING"!

WTF?!?! lol Radar is clear, looks over to me....

Jan '15

Re: Snow 1/24/15

It's BEEEutiful in Allamuchy

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '15

Phil - Here is Lonnie's forecast from last night -

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/video/11065555-overnight-weather-123-cold-cloudy/

Please show me where "they weren't concerned at all about today's storm, but were looking at a possible larger event on Monday."

7.25" and driveway is done. The snow that was powdery earlier is starting to feel a bit heavier, so get going with the shovels and small snow throwers!

So my husband calls me from sunny California where the weather forecaster said that our area in NJ received no snow! I quickly let him know that we received about 8" of snow and that I had already plowed the whole driveway as well as shoveled it. And now I see it is snowing again. Good thing I LOVE SNOW!!!

While the bulk of the storm is over NOAA is forecasting an additional band of snow to come through in parts of NJ, NY and CT. Possible additional snow accumulation could be from a dusting to 3 inches.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Hackettstown&state=NJ&site=PHI&textField1=40.8538&textField2=-74.8254&e=0#.VMPGdkfF8ud

Follow nycmetroweather forums there you will get the best forecast,and by the way could be a big storm Mon-Tues !!!!still alittle east but trending more west for us.The models are coming together folks. NY could get alot.

BLD

Perhaps you're one of Lonnie's "Weather Watchers"? Yes, he was more correct the closer we got to the event, like at 11 PM when snow was already starting in some areas, but look at what he said at 11 PM the night before, which is exactly what I stated:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/video/11061692-overnight-weather-122-mostly-clear-cold/

I admit that it's a weather prognostication is a hard thing to do, but to just say he "always gets it right" is just wrong. A good ad blurb perhaps. I saw last night's 6PM forecast, which you can find also, which still had us at smaller totals. Don't get me wrong, I like channel 2 and their news team, including Lonnie. Kristine's a real pistol at times too, like when she recently made a comment about "Deflategate" would mean only a $25,000 fine for the team, when a player having an End Zone celebration would be fined $250,000. Excellent comment!

It seemed as though my nixle updates were just as good as Lonnie was, if not better.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.