Removing Catalytic Converter

What is the penalty for removing a catalytic converter from a vehicle in the state of New Jersey? Are there any Federal laws and/or penalties?

Pooder Pooder
Dec '14

At the very least you won't pass inspection next time.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '14

No matter how much you might save on gas if you remove it (not sure what other changes might be necessary since your car is set up to use it) but the penalty is much more than you could save. Check the guidelines:

According to Title II of the EPA Clean Air Act (Enacted Jan 1 1988) there are multiple regulations concerning the use or misuse of aftermarket catalytic converters, or the removal and/or modification of a stock catalytic converter. According to various parts of Section 203, all aftermarket catalytic converters must be EPA certified, and your car must have a gas conversion device of some manner. If not, both you and the installer are punishable of a Federal Offense by Section 205 (a). The operator's fine can be no more than $2,500 and the installation agency no more than $25,000.

MK - Could you please tell me your source of your information you wrote in the second paragraph. Is there a source that I can use as a reference? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pooder Pooder
Dec '14

Try this, it's not just the law, it's a statement of policy directly from the EPA on what punishments to seek:

http://www2.epa.gov/sites/production/files/documents/vehicleengine-penalty-policy_0.pdf

Have a nice look at around page 6 where it goes over the maximum amounts, and how the policy is to always seek the maximum and go from there. The maximums raised after the initial Act are now $3,750 for the driver being found with it, and $37,500 for the mechanic that did it.

I can't imagine showing up with that for inspection. Not passing would be the least of the worries. The station would have to impound it for the feds as evidence, and you'd be doing some explaining of who your mechanic is.

I have a co-worker who's catalytic converter was stolen from parked car and she had no choice but to cheaply fix the car to be drivable to work. It was stolen 2 months after her car passed inspection so she is OK for next 9 months and is hopefully will have money for a better car.

Should be good for 21 months Lena, inspection is every two years now.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Dec '14

If she is not keeping the car for more than three years a really good mechanic can find a used catalytic converter from a used parts supplier and replace hers. It would be half the price of new and should last until the next inspection or until she sells the car. You could also find one and have a good shop with a welder put it in.

Her car runs good enough without a catalytic converter. It's old car and there is no point to invest $800 just to have a catalytic converter - even old catalytic converter from junk yard is not cheap. Plus if it would be freely available from junk yards people wouldn't be stealing it from old cars parked on a street. I am sure she is not keeping a car longer than her inspection expires.

I myself had issues with catalytic converter on one of my cars. Once it was replaced under manufacturer's warranty, second time it cost me a fortune. I didn't replace it third time - I got rid of this car.

Junk yards will not sell used catalytic converters in my experience, It is cheaper to buy a aftermarket cat and weld it in.

Darrin Darrin
Dec '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.