Whole Corn

Anyone know if Walmart or Target carries 50lb bags of whole corn. There was no one at the auction on Stiger Street this Tuesday because of the weather. I assume Tickners is too overpriced.

hapiest girl
Dec '14

ts does

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/producers-pridereg%3B-whole-corn-50-lb

skippy skippy
Dec '14

Thanks skippy ---- trying to avoid driving that far if someplace in Hackettstown has it.

hapiest girl
Dec '14

Walmart does carry it. I know you don't want to go far but their is a farm in Washington that had it for $6.00/50lb bag.

Baci's mom Baci's mom
Dec '14

Baci's Mom- Which farm in Washington? I need to stock up for my deer friends

Nosila Nosila
Dec '14

Baiting deer happiest? ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '14

Au contraire, Calico.
Trying to open a can of worms?
I'm keeping the deer safe on my property away from the trophy hunters.

hapiest girl
Dec '14

Nope, just curious why you wanted the corn is all. Most hunters I know just want meat, not a trophy. Carry on.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '14

Penwell Mills Feed in Port Murray

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Dec '14

Calico -
Carry on?
From what, your ridiculous comment?
(baiting deer..?)

It's obvious you were being snide.
If you really wanted to know why I want the corn why didn't you ask.
You're a classic instigator.

hapiest girl
Dec '14

Watters farm in Mansfield is at the auction every tuesday and I know he was there because I bought from him. He drives the big box truck and parks on the backside of the soil conservation building every week. I think $7 a bag. Unless you own a large parcel of land you will not be able to keep deer on your property and then with the breeding season just finishing up they are still moving around alot. You also need thick cover to hold deer for any amount of time and of course a good water source that will not freeze up.

fishmaker1 fishmaker1
Dec '14

I thought that maybe she was fattening a hog for slaughter with all that corn. The only two things corn is good for is fattening livestock and bourbon mash. All other uses are blasphemy.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Dec '14

Thanks fishmaker .... I did not know about him.
I usually buy from a truck that parks right along the curb and he was not there Tuesday. I'll look for Watters next week.

hapiest girl
Dec '14

iPhone - so why didn't you think I wanted it for bourbon mash?

hapiest girl
Dec '14

Because that would mean that I married the wrong woman... and I refuse to even entertain the thought (-;

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Dec '14

iPhone-
Nice try but you are so transparent.
Drop the prejudice.

hapiest girl
Dec '14

why would you feed deer when they are very overpopulated? Thinning the herd will reduce disease, competition, and overbrowsing. Good for us and deer.

kepa
Dec '14

FYI...As of Friday 12-12, Tickner's, whole corn $7.99, cracked corn $9.00, 50lb bags

"why would you feed deer when they are very overpopulated? Thinning the herd will reduce disease, competition, and overbrowsing. Good for us and deer." - kepa

She thinks she's saving them from the hunters. It's actually more humane for them to get shot by a hunter and die instantly than to starve to death or suffer from disease due to overpopulation.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '14

"She thinks she's saving them from the hunters."

Except, after the public hunting period is over, all the deer that were "saved" are subject to culling by state hired contractors until the numbers are lowered to the desired level.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/cbdmp.htm

"In an effort to limit deer populations in those areas of New Jersey where sport hunting is not considered a viable management tool, the Division has permitted alternative methods of controlling deer populations under the Community-Based Deer Management Permit (CBDMP) program. The program was created in 1995 to allow alternative methods of deer population control.

Alternative control methods include techniques other than traditional hunting, employed to reduce a deer population. These may include, but need not be limited to, controlled hunting, shooting by an authorized agent, capture and euthanization, capture and removal, and fertility control."

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '14

I was feeding the deer one year Apples that were beond the number I could use up and I put them out in a clearing in the woods that I could see from my house they danced and pranced and ran a round in a ring and they then ate the fruit it was amazing to see

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Dec '14

That's like my property, Caged Animal! I put out corn, different kinds of bird seed, peanuts and cubed peanut butter 'sandwiches', leftover fruit scraps.......
Birds of every kind, deer, squirrels, racoons, rabbits, chipmunks, they all feast in happiness here.

hapiest girl
Dec '14

Lyme's disease, ehrlichiosis, and Chronic Wasting Disease are super cute? I thought it was illegal to feed wildlife in NJ for that reason, I could be wrong.

kepa
Dec '14

It might also attract rats...and ticks from the deer...

justsayin justsayin
Dec '14

According to the NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife, "the feeding of deer is undesirable."

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/deerfeed.htm

Six main reasons are listed:

1. Feeding increases reproductive potential.
2. Deer lose their fear of humans.
3. Deer feeders are bad neighbors.
4. Feeding can change behavioral patterns.
5. Feeding may cause deer to cross roadways they normally would not, increasing the potential for deer-vehicle collisions.
6. Feeding can sicken and kill deer.

Read the full article for a complete explanation of the Division's position on feeding wild deer.

JerryG JerryG
Dec '14

But it makes her "feel" better, so all the logic in the world won't matter, JerryG.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '14

" I put out corn, different kinds of bird seed, peanuts and cubed peanut butter 'sandwiches', leftover fruit scraps.......
Birds of every kind, deer, squirrels, racoons, rabbits, chipmunks, they all feast in happiness here."

sounds like this house

Nosila Nosila
Dec '14

I was told by the director of my wildlife rescue that we should not put food out --- for a whole long list of reasons - many of which are above. I do admit to feeding the birds - and the squirrelly thieves

5catmom 5catmom
Dec '14

Mark. Mc, I guess you're not a hunter, huh? The hunting season doesn't end until February and there are no "state-hired contractors" working on reducing the deer population in the hackettstown area.

Gadfly Gadfly
Dec '14

Nosila,
Yes, it's so nice looking out the window and watching them. It's really special when different animals are all there at once. How beautiful is it to see a small rabbit eating next to a deer. Do you make peanut butter sandwiches too? I also make butter sandwiches sometimes!
Peace to you.

hapiest girl
Dec '14

I don't hunt, but have no problem with those that do.

Just posting info that if the hunts don't harvest enough animals, the state will come in to do it, so while any one specific deer might be "saved", just as many overall will be killed each year no matter how much corn is in someone's back yard.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '14

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just informative. The Community Based Deer Management Program activities are initiated and executed by a local government (town or county), sometimes with private partners. Typically, the state just reviews and permits the activity. These projects are very rare. For years, there was a lot of controversy over Princeton hiring sharp-shooters from a firm called White Buffalo. I'm also aware of one capture/relocation project, but it was ridiculously expensive, and is impossible now due to concerns about spreading disease.

Gadfly Gadfly
Dec '14

Relocating deer is just about the dumbest thing to do... that's like moving rats to different parts of the sewer system.

I didn't dig too deep into the stats. I know some counties do the culling but there are probably enough hunters (and unlimited doe days) to keep the numbers where the state wants them.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '14

I know they did it in the Great Swamp off 287 the Watchung Reservation and the South Mountain Reservation where hunters are not allowed.

Old Gent Old Gent
Dec '14

A lot of counties have programs on their parklands, but it's really just hunting according to normal hunting season rules, with permission restricted to certain participants. Yeah moving deer is crazy. In that case they went to upstate NY, where they were actually wanted.

Gadfly Gadfly
Dec '14

OG, The Great Swamp NWR and South Mtn hunts are just licensed hunters during the normal hunting season. It looks like the Watchung Reservation is held in March, after the normal season closes. I'd be really interested in finding out how they justified that.

Gadfly Gadfly
Dec '14

The land could not suport the Deer population in Watchung. They were killing all the native plants and the trees were not surviving through replacing themselves. In building route 78 they had to build bridges across it for the deer to cross for the animal lovers. If you go that way there are bridges covered with trees and growth. No Deer have ever been seen crossing them. South Mountain had pros come from Turtle Back Zoo to Millburn because it was to small an area for free lance hunters with houses so close.

Old Gent Old Gent
Dec '14

I think you misunderstood OG. I'm not questioning the rationale for the Watchung hunt, I'm questioning the rationale for having the hunt in March, outside of deer season.

Gadfly Gadfly
Dec '14

Ironic that hapiest is wishing peace to Nosila. I guess she doesn't know that Nosila is, or at least was when she was younger, a hunter.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '14

1+ for Calico being a classic instigator ALL THE TIME!

meandyoux2 meandyoux2
Dec '14

Re: Whole Corn

Santa's reindeers heard we stocked up on corn today......

Baci's mom Baci's mom
Dec '14

Beautiful picture, Baci.
If I were more computer savvy I would post pictures of all the animals on my property.

hapiest girl
Dec '14

Yes, I got my hunting license when I was 11 years old. Haven't been deer hunting in at least 10 years

I'm still an animal lover and you can be both. Most people don't understand that but you can be.

Nosila Nosila
Dec '14

I have rifle. modern inline muzzleloader and bow certs and pay for NJ hunting licenses when I live 500 miles away to support the wildife

http://www.fws.gov/hunting/whatdo.html

http://www.rmef.org/Conservation/HuntingIsConservation/25ReasonsWhyHuntingIsConservation.aspx

skippy skippy
Dec '14

To Gadfly.
Scroll down to page 6 in this paper for the Union County deer hunt information.

http://www.goleader.com/15jan01/15jan01.pdf

Old Gent Old Gent
Jan '15

I just read this - and hope whoever is feeding deer reconsiders next year: http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Newsroom/2015/deer-deaths-032315.html

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.