WRNJ: Erroneous Temperature Readings

Earlier tonight WRNJ was reporting an air temperature of 31F. While I was driving around Hackettstown my car thermometer was reading 35 to 36 degrees.

I even checked the Hackettstown NJWxNet station and it was reporting 35 degrees.

All roads were just wet with a cold rain falling. There was no ice accumulation on the roads or trees/colder surfaces. I suspect the WRNJ thermometer is broken.

Anybody else notice this?

KMC77
Dec '14

Yes....only I noticed it earlier in the week, I forget which day. WRNJ reported 29 degrees while my car was displaying 36 degrees. I was driving on Rt. 46 from Great Meadows, headed into Hackettstown.

wonderful wonderful
Dec '14

Yesterday morning, WNTI said it was supposed to rain all day, but it didn't start until late afternoon.

On Monday, my computer said 0% chance of precipitation, but it was raining pretty hard all day.

Maybe we should be honest and change the name of this website to HackettstownWhine.com.

LeRoy Grimace LeRoy Grimace
Dec '14

When Dave Kelber used to have on-air conversations about the weather outlook on RNJ every morning with Frank Lombardo, he used to say (for instance) well, it's 35 here, what is it where you are... Frank would reply oh, it's a balmy 38 over here ...

stuff like that...

and their studios were only about a mile apart.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '14

Weatherunderground (wunderground.com). Get temp readings from weatherstations wherever you are. You'll soon discover who runs a good station and how often it updates. Stale readings are just as bad as false readings. Mine updates every 2.5 seconds (KNJWASHI3).

Bruin Bruin
Dec '14

Does ANYBODY run a good station anymore?

Wherever you go, it's on the cheap.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '14

I'm a NOAA guy but while on the topic of Weatherundergound. If anyone is interested in a free 1 year paid membership to Weatherunderground see below:

http://www.wunderground.com/members/signup.asp

Use code: QWV35 in the gift code box at signup

Oh my....tough crowd. Let;s not forget that the car readings can also be false...thermometers/computers/ not perfect, either. It can be 45 in the field by the station, and 5 degrees cooler at Target. It's cold, wear a jacket, put an umbrella in the car and be prepared. Sstop looking at the temp on your dashboard/mirror and look at the road.

BTW, I love Morning Mike....!!! Thanks for making my morning rides to PA a little easier.

acl76 acl76
Dec '14

Yes...Operation Snowflake is not available on mobile devices...They were suprised at the station when I called ...surely behind the times unfortunately...maybe the new year will be better with modern tech updates.

crazy jane
Dec '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.