Juanito's Mexican Restaurant in Washington

I am not sure why Russo's in Washington went out of business but the Mexican restaurant, Juanito's, that replaced it is terrific! I encourage everyone to give it a try. Great food and great service. Beautiful painting inside, too!

Wowza! Really? I had no idea Russo's even closed. I haven't eaten there in a few years. When did they open? I assume this new place is a BYOB? What's the menu like?

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '14

Is it related to the Juanito's in Red Bank? That one has fabulous reviews

5catmom 5catmom
Dec '14

5cat - I saw the reviews for Red Bank as well when I tried to Google this. We love Mexican food. As of now, we usually drive down to High Bridge to go to Casa Maya. It would be nice to have a great place closer.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '14

Does anybody has the menu? Sre they on facebook? I cant wait tp go to try their food. Love Mexican food!!!!

Bella76 Bella76
Dec '14

No FB page or website that I can find.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '14

Love Mexican food- where in Washington is it?

hktownie hktownie
Dec '14

If coming from H'town, make a left onto Broad St. (where Sal's Pizza is) and it's a few doors down on the right.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '14

Wow didn't realize Russo's was gone either. Never got the chance to frequent the place. Not sure if that is good or bad?

For Mexican we too make the trek down Rt 31 to Casa Maya. Looking forward to trying Juanito's in the near future. Ohh and Red Bank!! So many great eateries down there on the Navesink River of Monmouth County. My old stomping grounds!

They were set and ready to open very quickly.
It took like a week from "Comming Soon" to be open.

I believe I met the owners when I was in Sal's one day. If those were the owners they are very nice.

I have to try it.

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Dec '14

Facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Juanitos-Mexican-restaurant/767427276658945

Got take out from there last night...not overly impressed but not bad by any means. Hope they do well, tough area for Mexican food. These people in Washington wouldn't know good food if it was force fed to them.

The pictures of the place look great. I wish I could see the menu better. Will probably try it this weekend.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '14

It does look great inside! I'm looking forward to trying it and in the meantime reading the reviews here.

Aquarius Aquarius
Dec '14

Agreed and will also wait patiently for the reviews of the reviewers!! ;-)

Re: Juanito's Mexican Restaurant in Washington

Russo had a heart attack and his doctor advised him to get out of business to relieve some stress. He is however, now working as a chef at a restaurant in Panther Valley. I'm not sure which one because the woman who told me this yesterday knows nothing about PV. But she knows Russo, so it might be the country club itself, Mattars or that pub. I told her to ask Russo next time she sees him.

As for Juanito's, we just ate there for lunch. It's not bad but we think it's overpriced for the portion size and quality, My chimichanga was tasty enough but tiny, beans and rice a bit tasteless. At 7 bucks totally worth it but at 9, questionable and that's the lunch special price. The salsa served with the chips is delicious though. Our very favorite Mexican restaurant is Casa Toro way out in Coopersburg PA, everything is amazingly fresh and fairly innovative. Casa Maya is also very good of course. Juanito's does not hold a candle to either of those. It's worth a try but go for lunch when the prices are a bit less crazy because the quality isn't quite there.

Frisky1 Frisky1
Dec '14

Prices look higher and lower than Casa Maya and probably not as varied a menu; but looks great and I'm in !!!!!!! The dining room looks really nice.

Thanks for the post.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Dec '14

Is it better than that place in Netcong?

We tried this place last night and enjoyed it. I had the flautas and hubby had the combo dinner of one beef taco, one chicken burrito and one chicken enchillada. The place is cute and clean and was absolutely packed. There were people waiting when we left. Our server was good. The homemade salsa and chips were great as was the guacamole. All the food we had was good, but Casa Maya and Don Jose are just a little better IMO. However, this place is much closer for us, so we definitely will be back. Total with tax and tip was $36. It's BYOB.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '14

Thanks for the review, Calico. We want to try it.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Dec '14

Thanks Calico; actually what I was hoping to hear. Sounds pretty darned rootin tootin good because sometimes I just hate pulling out of the Casa Maya darking lot and taking the Rt31 trip home after tortilla bingeing.

Dec '14

Thank you all for your comments. I'm glad to hear all of this. We are working hard everyday to make things better

Juanitos Juanitos
Dec '14

I had the shrimp faitas and I enjoyed them. Wish they had a few more shrimps in them. The salsa was good. The rice was alittle bland. Could use some spices or maybe some red and yellow peppers. Thank you so much for reading our comments.We want you to be around for a long time.

mansfield mama mansfield mama
Dec '14

I went...I got mixed feelings.
I was looking forward to good chicken tacos.
They were OK , nothing that will get me excited to call from home and pick them up. It is shredded chicken, but it is dry. There is no stew sauce, that goes with it.I mean the juice from the pot where it was cooked.
The rice was good, and I normally don't eat the rice in many places.
The Chips and Salsa were OK, I thought the flavor was a little strange. I eat them becasue I was really hungry.
The refried beans were good. The cheese on top seemed more like mozarella cheese instead of queso fresco, but I liked them.

They were also very fast. I liked the place, it is a nice little place.

NOW.....Here is the problem....
I got home (I'm about 5 mins away) And my stomach was upset...
I didn't workout, and went to bed. An hour later I woke up shivering, I thought I was getting a fever, but wasn't hot.
And BOOM.. threw up the chicken tacos! yeap... everything came out

It will take me sometime before I go there to try the fajitas

Dec '14

Oh no! Sorry you got sick BEG. That totally sucks.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '14

You really need to let this restaurant know what happened.
I hope you are on the mend!

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Dec '14

I know.
i got much better after I threw up last night.
I even came to work.... stomach is still recovering...

Dec '14

I ate there Sunday night with 4 other people. I had the Steak Fajitas and they were excellent. Everyone else enjoyed their meal as well. I will definitely be back soon.

BEG --- Yup, sounds like you got it although might have been something you picked up as you put your taco fingees in your mouth ---- ya never know where exactly to place the blame. But it does not sound like a bug.

Personally if I were the owners, I would be scrubbing the processes for everything you ate from salsa n chips right through the taco. And if they are using food bleaches, start with those elements. IF, and it's a BIG if, it's Jaunito's, I put my guess on bad lettuce somewhere in the mix ----- on a tool/utensil or the lettuce itself or how they store stuff. If it's the chicken or salsa ----- that just shouldn't happen.

Again a big if as to the restaurant as the culprit, but kiss of death if recurring.

Personally after one experience elsewhere I can never eat caramelized spinach ever again...........

Jan '15

I know, I just stated the facts.
I'm Ok as of today.
I never had a fever.
Just vomit and stomach issues for 2 days.
My brain and stomach tells me it was something from there, but I have three kids so it can also be something I already had and exploded, bad timing.

The last time I had food poisoning was maybe 8 years ago, and it was a salmon. I ended going to the hospital for an IV on the 6th day....

Jan '15

Ate there last night. Was amazing. The salsa is perfect and the chimichanga was out of this world. Amazing service! Did not get sick and neither did anyone in my party.

I would stop blaming the restaurant when you truly have no idea where your sickness came from. It's bad form and not fair to the restaurant.

Wiz: I agree, have said so, and I think that's what BEG said too.

Jan '15

I never blamed the restaurant.
I just stated the facts as they happened.

Jan '15

Coincidence? You are excused, heck more than one ancient religion was created this way...

Ate there last weekend.

The food was very well prepared, well seasoned and quite tasty. We tried the sampler appetizer along with the nachos and salsa so that we could get try a little bit of several things. Speaking of the salsa, it was excellent!!

For dinner, I went with combo plate #2 if memory serves me right. Portions on everything were generous. Flavors and textures were what you would hope for.

We normally make the drive out to Sol Catina in Branchburg, but Juanito's food has them beat hands down as Sol has always been a bit, well..bland.

I like having a new option close to home. We will probably still go to Sol on occasion, if only because of the margaritas and atmosphere..

Ate here again last night. Delicious! I had the chicken quesadilla and my husband had the chicken burritos. We were stuffed and had to doggie bag our leftovers.

PS - There's was a coupon for Juanito's in this week's money mailer.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '15

I'm very excited to try it. I love love Mexican food !

positive positive
Jan '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.