I hate rigatoni.

I don't know why.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Nov '14

Spaghetti...Al dente

I also am not a big fan of rigitoni

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Nov '14

Any shaped pasta is good to me. I'm most likely to order penne or angel hair when dining out though.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '14

Carbs are you enemy.

I do like pasta though.

i think I'll make pasta tonight for dinner.

ihatecarbs
Nov '14

I can't imagine applying the phrase "less so" to pasta. ;-)

I'll eat any of them. I'm hesitant to order gnocchi at a restaurant because I think too many places don't cook them well. (but it's not that I don't like them) Otherwise to me it's just a matter of which kinds go with what sauce. I'll take rotelle, ziti, or rigatoni with a good Marinara or Bolognese. Give me fettucini, spaghettini, or linguini with a good Alfredo or Carbonara. For me I want shapes with the tomato or pink sauces but long flat with cheese bases. To my mind most shapes are the same and most flats are the same.

Call me crazy but I don't like pasta.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Nov '14

I like penne. Goes with most anything. Best pasta I ever had, and I can't remember the name, was an irregular free-formed variety that looked like spaetzle. I had it in Monterosso, Italy with pesto sauce. Absolutely amazing.

Not a huge fan of Angel Hair. Not enough surface area to hold the flavor of the sauce.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Nov '14

Mostaccioli is my favorite Macaroni's ...

They are like a Ziti, but no ridge lines. Great with a seafood sauce.

The macaroni that is hard to find are the Zita. They are the Mother of Cut Zita which are called Ziti!..... Very sloppy to eat, and they make such gurgling sounds as one tries to suck them up.

Perciatelli is the other noisy macaroni which are like long straws. Fun To Eat!!

As kids growing up....they were one type of macaroni that Mom would not allow at the table. ( Of coarse we would make noises for spite; only to flinch from moms hand as she swung at us )

AND... I do not like spaghetti cut. If it is not whole, I will not eat it!

Growing up, it was "Spaghetti Every Day, Just Made a Different Way!"

Embryodad Embryodad
Nov '14

I like those wagon wheels. Haven't had them in a long time since I lost the recipe for the sauce, which was not tomato based, and had a peanut flavor.

Bruin Bruin
Nov '14

The wagon wheels are cool. I had some tuna/pasta salad at a party recently that was made with wagon wheels. I usually use elbows when I make that, but I thought the wagon wheels were a neat change.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '14

i been goin' nuts for Cavatappi since i found out what it was . . . . .

makes a great hobo stew, which is one of my new favorite dinners,

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Nov '14

Yum... my MIL brought over homemade cavatelli (real cavatelli made with ricotta cheese in the dough) and broccoli for dinner tonight. Nice and garlicky with just the right amount of red pepper. A-plus... much better than I've ever gotten at a restaurant. I usually don't even order it anymore, because I'm usually disappointed. After this, I'll probably never order it out again, lol.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Nov '14

I love the pasta/noodles they serve at Japanese Hibachi restaurants - could eat them all day every day.

Italian - Angel Hair.

Before I had to cut out the gluten, my fave was always rigatoni aka "sewer pipes", I really can't see how some of the rest of you don't like it, but hey, that meant more for me ;-)

I consider it the meat of the pasta family, since a good "al dente" rigatoni gives you a long-lasting chewy taste, with plenty of room for a good meat sauce.

Growing up I loved elbow mac as Mac & Cheese, of course and there was medium to small sized shells with cottage cheese. Yeah, I know, it's perhaps sacrilegious to prefer cottage cheese over ricotta, but the only Italian in me seems to be from a branch of the family from the 1600's or so.

Wagon wheels are definitely cool too, as are rotini and of course the traditional full-sized spaghetti - don't really like mine shortened as much either, but as opposed to Embryodad, if someone already cooked shortened stuff, I'll still eat it.

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '14

A little messy, tends to splatter gravy/sauce but old fashioned long fusilli. Can't find it at Weiss anymore.

Denis Denis
Nov '14

It really depends on the sauce, Phil. Rigatoni needs a big, hearty Bolognese with lots of meat. A plain marinara or garlic and oil wouldn't do it justice.

IMO, elbows are strictly for mac and cheese (but penne works great, too) and small shells are for tuna casserole. Wagon wheels (rotelle) are a toughie; I haven't really found a great pairing with it, except for ground beef and cheese sauce (sort of a homemade Hamburger Helper).

ianimal ianimal
Nov '14

Phil D., I love macaroni and cottage cheese. My mom always made that for me and my dad. Still does. Works best with elbows, but I like it with wide egg noodles too.

I can't say there's a pasta shape I don't like. I love pasta, all shapes and sizes. I mostly eat whole wheat now, and it's nice that there is so much variety and so many brands. Whole Foods makes a large shell that I like. I also love a fresh pappardelle,

Tracy Tracy
Nov '14

Yes - the PA Dutch Egg Noodles w/butter.

That's all you need!

I don't think I've ever really put that much thought into pasta :) I always pick Angel Hair over the regular spaghetti and have no problem with the shortened version. I seem to always choose elbows for mac/cheese or pasta salads, unless it's some Italian type of salad. I would then choose Penne or Rotini.

It's funny because I don't think I would ever pick wagon wheels for anything other than a kid type meal. Not sure why really. It just seems like they were meant for the younger crowd lol!

Sometimes if I feel like getting crazy I will pick the box that has assorted shapes ha!ha! There's really no good use for this type, but it sure is fun...

Yes - the PA Dutch Wide Egg Noodles w/butter and cottage Cheese!!
I lived on that as a kid!!

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Nov '14

Wagon wheel shape is good for making snowflake ornaments:)

Blackcat Blackcat
Nov '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.