Empire Health Foods

November 20th marks the Grand Opening of Empire Health Foods, located at 180 Mountain Avenue, Hackettstown. Owner Mike Fiume, a Warren County resident, purchased the health food store in September and has been working diligently to make it the "go to" place for the tri-county area ‘s residents.

The store stocks vitamins and supplements, pro-biotics, vegan, gluten-free and non gmo foods, as well as ready to eat vegan sandwiches and sides. There are personal care products, essential oils, candles, gifts and so much more.

Everything in the store will be 20% off on the Grand Opening Day, November 20th. Other specials will carry into the weekend. Complimentary refreshments will be provided and there will be samples and free drawings.

Empire Health Foods has a synergystic relationship with Fitness Empire in Blairstown and Empire Health Food products will soon be available for purchase at the Fitness Empire location, 143 route 94, Blairstown.

Mike brings his business experience as well as his excellent customer service skills to Empire Health Foods. His goal and the goals of his friendly and knowledgeable staff are to help you get to where you want to be.
Empire Health Foods is located next to Fulton Bank of New Jersey and it is now open 7 days a week. Seniors receive a discount every day.

For more information, call the store at 908 979 0888.

180 Mountain Ave.
Hackettstown, NJ 07840
Phone: (908) 979-0888

Wendy @ Hkt BID Wendy @ Hkt BID
Nov '14

Looking forward to Empire's grand opening.

puden15 puden15
Nov '14

does this mean ed's health foods is not longer at this address/phone number?

terry v terry v
Nov '14

Yes. Ed's was purchased and the new business is named Empire Health Foods.

Best of luck to the new owner!
:-)

I hope there is a good selection and good pricing of the vegan sandwiches.
They are a BIG seller at the Sussex County Food co-op in Newton. They are really good!
I always notice alot of guys who work in construction or other manual labor coming in for them at lunch time --- guess they hit the spot!
I assume Empire Health Food will be getting them from the Suneen Company?

hapiest girl
Nov '14

I was in the store about a week ago. I vowed to never to go back to the old store but I needed some supplements which were out of stock in other places... so I gave it one more try (not knowing that it was under new ownership). I was very impressed. There is all new inventory and product. No expired merchandise. The place looks great. Everything is clean and bright. It looks like the new owner has put in a lot of time and money to upgrade the entire store, as well as, service. They will special order products and keep you updated on availability. He is really trying to make the new store a great place to shop and provide quality products. I have to say that I really was happy with everything and will be going back.

billr billr
Nov '14

Sounds like the new store has improved the People, Process and Product. Looking forward to checking it out and trying the sandwiches again.

Scottkl Scottkl
Nov '14

Hi Happiest Girl!

This is Mike (the new owner). I do currently carry Suneen foods and will continue to do so. Right now we are trying to figure out how much of and which specific items of theirs we should carry on a regular basis. Suneen has a pretty big menu so PLEASE let us know what you like and also what you may not like as much. We are trying a little bit of everything right now so like I said customer feedback is really helpful!

Right now we're offering their sandwiches/wraps, salads, knishes, hummus dip, tofu, burritos/enchiladas, and pasta salads, but as I said they do offer a lot of other stuff as well so we're gonna try the entire menu and see what's popular and what isn't and pretty much go from there.

Thanks for your comment and I hope we see you during the grand opening this week!

Mike Fiume Mike Fiume
Nov '14

All of eds inventory on the shelve were expired. Went there twice and will never go back

Health man
Nov '14

can't wait to shop at yor new and improved store. I heard alll good things! good luck!

Spring
Nov '14

Hi Mike,

It sounds like you have pretty much everything Suneen offers!
I did not know Ed's closed and that you opened your business in September --- or I would have come in sooner.

What are your business hours?

Looking forward to your grand opening on Thursday.

hapiest girl
Nov '14

Bump to find out the hours!

Challah Challah
Nov '14

Hi Happiest girl and Challah --

We're open -

Monday: 9:30 - 6:00
Tuesday: 9:30 - 6:00
Wednesday: 9:30 - 6:00
Thursday: 9:30 - 7:00
Friday: 9:30 - 6:00
Saturday: 10:00 - 5:00
Sunday: 9:00 - 2:00

Hope to see you soon!

Mike Fiume Mike Fiume
Nov '14

Stopped by today.....I love the store.....brought the vegan chicken sandwich and it was amazing...brought a few dairy free products....and I thought the prices were actually pretty good......will be heading back tomorrow...

dismom dismom
Nov '14

I was in there today and the place looks amazing. I found the prices to be comparable to other health food stores I've shopped. The selection was great and they were stocking the shelves as I shopped. The service was very good; not too pushy, but definitely helpful. I will be going back. They have a big sale going on tomorrow, so give them a chance. I think this place is going to do very well.

Sue G Sue G
Nov '14

Looking forward to going tomorrow. Hope he has the falafil wraps from sunneen ---
while Zatun in Hastings rules for their falafil, it is nice to have the option of a packaged falafil wrap with the cup of tahini included in the package --- great to keep in the refrigerator for an easy lunch or to take to work.

hapiest girl
Nov '14

dismom--
I love the vegan chicken sandwich too -- and the "tuna" also.
It's actually pretty easy to make from dry TVP.

hapiest girl
Nov '14

i just got to say that I am really loving this new store... its so clean.... nothing expired and the people who work there are very helpful

dismom dismom
Jan '15

dismom -

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad that we could help! Hope that we see you soon.

Thanks again,

Mike

Mike Fiume Mike Fiume
Feb '15

Do you carry bulk dried non-sulfite fruits/nuts?

Grace Y
Feb '15

Grace -- not sure if Empire does, but you can get that at Sussex County Food Co-op in Newton. The fruit comes to the store in bulk, and they bag, weigh & price various sized bags. Same with the nuts --- although they also have some nuts that are self-serve that you can bag yourself as well.
The store is fantastic.
http://www.sussexcountyfoods.org
You can click on "product information" to see the list of what they carry.

hapiest girl
Feb '15

went back in to see if prices had gotten better but they did not...GNC is actually cheaper.

thebclam thebclam
Feb '15

I agree with dismom. The store is a pleasure to shop in and the fact that it is local and I don't have to travel is a plus for me. They are very responsive to customer input and seem to be bringing in new products all the time.

Sue G Sue G
Feb '15

Stopped in there yesterday and the new owner (I assume) seemed to be very nice. The store layout didn't seem to change all that much and I was able to find what I needed rather quickly, which was a plus.

I went at 10:00 this am and it was not open. The sign said open 10-5. I waited a while and still nothing. It was disappointing.

Sport
Feb '15

I visited Empire Health Foods a few weeks ago looking for a few supplements & left the store w/ many more things than I went in for. The new shop is clean , has an amazing selection & the owner was personable and extremely helpful! Best of luck to this new business. I will def be visiting again shortly :)

Kristen Kristen
Feb '15

Just got back from empire and everything is 20% off today.....

dismom dismom
Feb '15

I was in there the other day and bought a box of their new ravioli in the freezer case. They have different types of vegetable and gluten free too. I made the spinach and gouda last night and it was really good. Looks like they are trying new things and the place continues to look really good.

Sue G Sue G
Feb '15

Stopped in today for the first time in a year. The last time I was there Ed was the owner (in fact it was called Ed's Health Foods) and the place was a mess. It was dirty, Lots of items were out of stock and what was there was expired (or someone actually covered the dates). The changes from a year ago are remarkable. There is a new owner, the shelves are full and the store is clean. I know that I might save a few cents at some of the large mass merchandisers but they don't have the selection and you won't get the TLC you get at Empire. I love having a local store with knowledgeable people and as long as they keep their eye on the ball I'll be a regular customer from now on.

Kim G. Kim G.
Mar '15

I love Empire Health Foods as well. What an improvement over Ed's! The owner is so nice and helpful. It's a pleasure shopping there.

Aquarius Aquarius
Mar '15

Its crazy expensive you can find better deals elsewhere and the owner seemed to have no knowledge of his products.

thebclam thebclam
Mar '15

love empire... i stop by once a week.... and today is the 3rd thursday of the month so everything is 20% OFF.......

dismom dismom
Mar '15

and bclam just curious what you are finding crazy expensive???? I order from alot of places amazon, walmart, health shoppe, vita coast etc, also get food delivered from door to door organics and the prices at empire is pretty comparable if not less expensive.... just today i picked up my dairy free cheese on sale for 3.29 a package I have not seen it that low ANYWHERE... and the vegan sandwiches are amazing and i am not vegan or vegetarian....

dismom dismom
Mar '15

bclam, I found the owner to be very knowledgeable and quite helpful in special ordering a product for me. GNC and a health food store are not the same and can't be compared. Empire is great and it's a big improvement over the old place. The prices are fair, it's local and on sale days, you can get some really great deals.

Sue G Sue G
Mar '15

Yes, I disagree that the owner is not knowledgeable. I've found him to be very helpful and knowledgeable. I'll pay a little extra over GNC - not that the stock is even comparable.

Aquarius Aquarius
Mar '15

I've been there a couple times as well & I think the owner is super knowledgeable. THEBCLAM must work for GNC.

Buffy Buffy
Mar '15

thebclam - Do you sell similar products at your gym?

my gym? you must have me confused. The Nutrition Store in Sparta has way better prices and can order you anything you want...no I do not work for gnc or the vitamin shop. Natures Harvest in Blairstown has way better prices and products to. I am a certified nutritionist and was completely turned off by the owner of empires lack of knowledge.

thebclam thebclam
Mar '15

and dismom its obvious you are just advertising for them. Relative? Friend?

thebclam thebclam
Mar '15

I agree with bclam about the prices, but then again all of these health food stores are expensive. Anyway as far as knowledge of products when I visited the store I agreed on some of the owners opinions and some I did not (its obvious hes still learning). His prices and quantity on health food items were ok. They definitely had next to nothing as far as sports supplements and the few they did have were very overpriced.

momtime momtime
Mar '15

Bclam.... nope....don't know them before I shopped at the store.....just tickled pink to have a great health food store in town.....I never accused u of anything....just asked u a simple question ....what u found expensive???......if u search my name on here I have been posting on this site A LONG Time..... u on the other hand seem to only post on this thread.....

dismom dismom
Mar '15

dismom, you make me want to go there and see what they have..thanks for the info. Good to know about the 3rd Thursday of the month.

Bessie Bessie
Mar '15

Does anyone know if they have a good selection of gluten free foods?

Bettieboop29 Bettieboop29
Mar '16

Just a theory but perhaps give them a call and ask! LOL

(908) 979-0888

Stopped by Empire Health Foods this afternoon and purchased a few items. The owner was very helpful and extremely knowledgeable. I highly recommend this store!

Liberty_mom Liberty_mom
May '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.