Bear brawl in Rockaway

I can't post link. Calico, help me out. This video is so funny and amazing. Youtube has it, as well as nj.com

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Oct '14

I will help
http://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2014/10/watch_epic_bear_fight_captured_on_nj_street.html#incart_river

Old Gent Old Gent
Oct '14

Thanks Old Gent. Great video, right?

Oct '14

That is indeed a great video. I'm glad the videographer was stupid enough to get that close without a zooms lens equipped camera. Gotta love idiots and their iphones, lol.; My enjoyment of the video would have been enhanced had the bears taken a break from each other and focused on him instead! But the damn news channels always cut out the good stuff later on.

Also, I'm glad there wasn't a 'narrative' by the videographer, as you frequently hear when people post animal vids to youtube. Just the sounds of bears the way it should be.

Bruin Bruin
Oct '14

I like the pictures below the video too with the Mama & cubs playing on a backyard slide in Roxbury. No going outside to watch that or Moms would get P.O.d!

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '14

This is why there needs to be a bear hunt. Bears brawling in the middle of the day in Rockaway.... What if kids were outside...

Metsman Metsman
Oct '14

Not a very educated comment, Metsman.

What about the videographer? Did the bears have any interest in him?
As reported by Kelcey Burguess, the principal Wildlife Biologist for NJ Division of Fish & Wildlife, "the fight is nothing to be concerned about, even for residents on that street."

hapiest girl
Oct '14

When it comes to Black Bear, be sure to follow the guidelines published by the NJ DEP Division of Fish & Wildlife.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/bear_recipeguide.pdf

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

"What about the videographer? Did the bears have any interest in him?"

If you pay attention to the video, it was taken from inside a car. I worked for a security company that once supplied a cam for a bear den that was under a trailer while the bear was hibernating. After it woke up, the high frequency sound from the video crystal in it, or the smell from the humans that had touched the camera apparently annoyed or angered it and with one swipe it utterly destroyed it.

Sure it was nothing to be concerned about, since their focus was on each other in a fight over territory or a female, BUT had anyone actually been physically near enough to them or happened upon them fighting and startled them, there is no predicting exactly what behavior response the bears would have. Residents would be safe as long as they were inside and/or sheltered.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '14

That's why you should look around before stepping out the door. Lol, I do. But can definitely understand what you're saying Metsman. Could be dangerous.

Oct '14

All of that over a pic-a-nic basket?

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Oct '14

No Reggie, Not over a Picknick basket. It's over a girly. Boys and men do that all the time some times fatally.

Old Gent Old Gent
Oct '14

Hope she-bear is HOT! These 2 guys are too cute, fighting over a lady. Wonder which one she picked. I also wonder why the guy recording it stopped. Hmm.....

Oct '14

Re: Bear brawl in Rockaway

"I also wonder why the guy recording it stopped. "

They recovered this as the last picture on his camera...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '14

This video has been aired on Good Day NY FOX 5 and on Inside Edition.

Oct '14

I hear they are going to be offered spots on Dancing With the Stars next season, too....

ianimal ianimal
Oct '14

Just a note to dog owners:

if you "let your dogs out" at night, PLEASE- check the area for bears. If the dog goes after a black bear, and the bear decides he doesn't like that much, you will have a DEAD DOG.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Oct '14

Absolutely, JR, great advice. Coyotes are prevalent as well.

Our alpha male Shepherd decided to take a ride on a bear's back once. Nothing makes him angrier. He gave chase, grabbed the bear by the neck and "rode" it for a bit before letting go. Don't think *that* bear has been back. We were very lucky. One swipe and it would have been over for Marcus. And btw this was in broad daylight, not even night time, and DH was 10 feet away.

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '14

Lol Mark and ianimal.

Oct '14

I can't help but think 'dickhead' when I see somebody type DH.

Bruin Bruin
Oct '14

Haha Bruin ;) I'm thinking there may be quite a few wives that prefer that as well lol!

In my case, it definitely means "Dear Husband."

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.