Community trunk or treat question?

I saw this on trinity churches Facebook page

First Annual Community Trunk or Treat!
Thursday, October 30, 6-8pm
Trinity Church, Willow Grove & Hatchery Hill Elementary Schools, Hackettstown High School, and Centenary College are partnering to provide a safe, fun Halloween Family Fun Night!
Come in costume (kids and adults). Kids can trick or treat from trunk to trunk. Plus there will be GAMES * FREE PIZZA DINNER * DJ * PARADE * FACE PAINTING * PRIZES!!
All are welcome! Invite someone and come along!

Does anyone know which events are located at which sites?

Njchia Njchia
Oct '14

It says it is at the Trinity Church Parking lot and they are asking for a $5.00 donation. That is on the Church web page for all who need info.

Ah so the whole event is at trinity? Ok. I thought it was spread out throughout the schools and trinity. Ok, makes sense now!

Njchia Njchia
Oct '14

In church last Sunday, they communicated that they need more folks to volunteer to attend and be the trunkers---meaning decorate your car-trunk, bring candy so the kids can trick or treat.

mom of one mom of one
Oct '14

People will come in swarms looking for freebies.

neighborhood watcher
Oct '14

looking for Freebies? it's Halloween. that is what the entire holiday is about, getting free candy.

darwin darwin
Oct '14

This is actually a pretty neat idea. My wife's school does this for the lower grades every year. The cars are around the outer edge of the parking lot. Each car is decorated and gives out prizes or candies. Usually the people handing out the "freebies" (what a downer the watcher is) also dress for the occasion. The Church is hoping that "swarms" come to the event. (Again watcher do you get swarms at your house? Oh wait, maybe you charge for trick or treat LOL) They would love to spread the good word about what a great place it is to bring a family. Besides, you can't fault the attempt to make a safe trick or treat experience for the young ones.

Next we will see infants with pumpkin buckets.

neighborhood watcher
Oct '14

In a trunk. Lol

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Oct '14

Has it really come down to trick-or-treating at cars in a parking lot for safety? Is it really that dangerous out there. This just seems absurd to me.

Remember the way it used to be?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jacqueline-wilson/halloween-for-kids-in-the-70s-vs-halloween-today_b_5932076.html

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

Thank you Calico! Wanted to say it, but seems I get more backlash then you. Lol. But now I will speak out. I took my kids house to house every year and never, ever, ever had any problems with poisoned candy, rotten candy, creepy people, etc... Doesnt mean it CANT happen. Parents have to be alert. Dont take the fun away from the kids. Let them be kids. They grow up too fast.

If this is your thing, enjoy and have a Happy Halloween.

Oct '14

@ Calico that article was dead on!!

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Oct '14

it's not just about safety you dopes

it's about the church community getting together and seeing each others family
It's about the little ones that might be too small to walk up and down streets being able to join in the Halloween fun.

no one is going to the trunk or treat because they are worried about their safety, they are going to be a part of the communtiy and get together with friends, community members. the fact that it's a nice safe environment for the kids is an added bonus, but it's not the main reason for the event.

darwin darwin
Oct '14

A guy named Darwin involved in a church community? It's a Halloween miracle (-;

ianimal ianimal
Oct '14

That article is a wild exaggeration, but yes times have changed. I think most people who trunk or treat also go door to door. It's just for fun, and a way to use that #@$%^ing expensive costume again (which this working mother had to purchase, because I don't have time to make one, let alone be sure it's organic). $22 bucks for a toddler costume, ugh! But... hearing my 2 year old exclaim "ARRRGGGH, I A PIRATE!" is luckily worth it. :)

Sandy Sandy
Oct '14

Lol my wife isn't a Darwin. She'll be taking our boys. But I do think it's a nice event and not one that people need to be shaking their heads at or making stupid comments implying we are coddling our kids by having a fun safe event for them

Darwin Darwin
Oct '14

Again with the dopes. You have some serious issues at times darwin. I'm a dope and/or stupid because I don't agree? Or does the word dope mean something else to you? Did you read MK's post a couple above mine mentioning safety? I've heard about these events outside church functions as well. And they are touted as being a safe alternative to traditional trick-or-treating.

I apologize for the fact that I will never agree with the needless sheltering of our youth, but I just won't. We are raising a nation of wusses.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

Considering it's the night before Halloween, I didn't really expect it to be a replacement for Halloween, we're planning on going in addition to trick or treating on the actual night. Just like the Halloween party we went to last night and the event at centenary over the weekend.

Njchia Njchia
Oct '14

Calico, I LOVED the article and thought is was pretty darn close to reality :)

Maybe it is another way to have fun, enjoy the holiday, get more use out of a costume, visit friends, and whatever the other reasons were.....but it's also another way for our youth to get even LESS exercise while loading up on MORE junk food lol! now instead of walking the neighborhood they only have to do a loop around a parking lot.

Correct it's not meant to replace traditional trick or treat just a fun addition to it. How anyone could see anything negative in a local community group putting together an event like this is beyond me.

And yes calico I guess I have some issues. I have issues with someone who could mock a fun community event like this. I have issues with someone without kids of their own using the term "we" when describing raising kids. I Highly doubt any of the parents that are bringing their kids to this safe, fun event are not taking them trick or treating the following night. Like Sandy said its a chance for their kids to get dress up another time. We should be encouraging more fun safe ( I know what a wussy word) community events like this not mocking them.

Darwin Darwin
Oct '14

Darwin - Again you misunderstand. I have no problem with the event so long as it is not a replacement for traditional trick-or-treat. I might be misinformed as to the true nature of this particular event, but I have seen it done as a replacement.

When using the term "we" I refer to my tax dollars that are used to pay the educators that educate everyone's children. Educators that coddle them in fear of backlash from overbearing parents and political correctness.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

And once again, Calico turns something positive into a negative !!

Mariann Mariann
Oct '14

Well, welcome to reality Mariann. People choose to see what they want to see. What I see is the demise of all that is wholesome. Everything that was once fun for kids has been trounced by fear and political correctness. Keep looking through your rose colored glasses and I won't. Society is a mess whether people admit it or not.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

+10000 all the way Calico!. Applauds, applauds!! I may sometimes get on you about comenting about "kid" things, but you are spot on here. ;)

Oct '14

Don't forget there is another fun, safe ( there's that wussy word again) event in downtown on Halloween at the Gazebo. Man what a horrible town we live in where community and business groups are coming together to host family friendly events.

http://www.nj.com/warrenreporter/index.ssf/2014/10/halloween_downtown_event_plann.html#incart_river

darwin darwin
Oct '14

Keep twisting what I say darwin to suit your agenda.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

I'm not twisting anything and trust me i have no agenda. You're the one on the soap box stating: "Everything that was once fun for kids has been trounced by fear and political correctness."

All because a community group thought it would be nice to organize a fun, safe (wussy word) event for families.

And i look like my wife will being stuck working late so i'll be taking my boys here tonight.

darwin darwin
Oct '14

Get home before 8pm Darwin.

Oct '14

:) that's tomorrow night

But tonight event ends at 8pm as well. I won't keep my boys there until the end, it's a school night after all :)

darwin darwin
Oct '14

Lol....good dad!

Oct '14

I guess you didn't read the two or three times I used the term "replacement".

I hope you and your kids enjoy the event tonight.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

This event was WONDERFUL! It was especially nice to see all the high schoolers in costume, that had decorated their cars to hand out candy. It was only a glimpse into their lives, but such great role models for my middle schooler who was with me! Awesome to see teenagers, who often get such a bad reputation, with these awesomely decorated cars, thought out costumes, patiently passing out candy to the little kids. It was well organized, and my kids had a blast.

Njchia Njchia
Oct '14

I passed by and it was crowded..glad everyone had a good time and the high schoolers represented the good we have in town. So much negativity these days Njchia, thanks for the positive review of the evening.

Bessie Bessie
Oct '14

There is also a trunk or treat at Gethsemane church on 5th and Baldwin Street in Hackettstown.

wally85 wally85
Oct '14

what a nice event and a great turn out. My boys said all their classmates were talking about it at school which made them even more excited to go. Thanks to Reverend Don,
Trinity, the elementary schools, Centenary and all the volunteers for putting it together. I think it was a bigger turnout then they even expected.

My boys loved seeing all their friends and 1 got really excited when he saw his teacher was there. This is something we will look forward to each year going forward. Great job everyone.

darwin darwin
Oct '14

My son had an awesome time, what a great event for families! I hope they make it an annual thing. We'll be trick or treating tonight too, but this was really fun.

Sandy Sandy
Oct '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.