Keeping a grass green with dogs?

I am super dog lover, I have four dogs. Is there anything to put on the grass so that it stay semi green even if the dogs poop. I walk them regularly but obviously they still go and it is just too much work to look and pick up daily. Any ideas? Also any thoughts on stopping a dog from digging holes in the lawn and eating the mulch?

Thanks
Tony

T-o-N-y
Oct '14

Nothing will keep the grass green if they pee on it. Otherwise in general green comes from the iron content in fertilizers. If you keep it healthy, it will always be green.

I'm not a dog owner, but when it comes to digging holes I would think you need a behaviorist for that.

Milorganite should help, it has iron in it, and a lower nitrogen concentration so it should help and it doesn't burn. 36 lb bag covers 2500 sq ft. It's organic, it's from processed sewage waste, but a totally safe option. Better than ironite which as trace amounts of arsenic. Also, water your lawn.

My dog was digging holes for awhile, I just kept on him when he was outside. If he started to dig I scolded him and told him to stop, he eventually did. Eating mulch, same thing. There's nothing you can put on your lawn that I'm aware of that actively deters this behavior.

Penningslandscaping Penningslandscaping
Oct '14

Thank you both for this! Much appreciated!

T-o-N-y
Oct '14

Re: Keeping a grass green with dogs?

We give our dog a natural supplement called Grass Saver. It works great for us.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

Calico, that's awesome! It works? Does it have any side effects?

Penningslandscaping Penningslandscaping
Oct '14

Totally works. No side effects that I'm aware of. Daisy has been taking it for 7 years with no issues. It's all natural. The only warning I've ever seen was to be sure that you were giving the correct dosage according to their weight. In other words, don't give a toy poodle the same amount you would give a pit bull. The dosing info is listed right on the label, so not sure how anyone could screw it up. We just put the tablets in with her dinner along with her joint supplements for her arthritis.

My husband orders it from Amazon. He say he gets the best deal there.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

I had used the above supplements for a while - did not work for me and was a bit pricey - of course, it's possible that I was not giving the right amount or was otherwise not administering it correctly - but still had brown spots.. I was a bit uncomfortable about using something that changed the chemical makeup of the urine, but did look it up and found only one report of a vet saying that it was not good for the dog - increased the likelihood of "crystals" in the urine - however, this was not a study, just what "someone said" and there are no other reports of danger - all others say that it is safe - we have, instead, been able to train our pup to have a designated area - took a while!

pmnsk pmnsk
Oct '14

Thank you all for this!

T-o-N-y
Oct '14

You could try keeping the dogs in the house so they don't have the chance to dig holes or eat mulch.

eperot eperot
Oct '14

They are not out much (mainly the weekends), I try to walk them regularly, but they like being outside. They are very smart, so for example if I'm outside they are on their best behavior, if I am not that is when they abuse the "freedom".

T-o-N-y
Oct '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.