Garage door Help

A friend of mine who lives in Panther Valley, is having trouble closing their garage door. Any suggestions?

Bessie Bessie
Oct '14

Make sure there is nothing in front of the sensors at the bottom of the door. Make sure the sensors are properly aligned. Lastly, you should be able to manually shut it by pulling the lever and letting it slide down.

mohepinoke mohepinoke
Oct '14

Push harder maybe?

sack
Oct '14

Does it start to close, but then reopen? Flashes after trying to close? Or just a humming sound and nothing happens?

If it starts then it's not the sensor but the track is probably out of alignment. Usually time for a professional unless you can easily see a loose bolt or something.

The flashing is means it's the sensor. Follow mohepinoke's suggestions.

If it's humming then the motor burned out and you'll need a replacement.

just paid to have mine fixed - now I know I could have done it myself -
look at the sensors - if the light - (one of mine is green, one amber) is flashing rather than steady - either something is in the way or they are out of alignment - all the repair guy did was move them a drop until the light became steady again-
Yes it did start moving - then it would go back up and stop - and variations of that theme - Only the override button would cause it to close all the way --
save some bucks and check the sensors. (yes I'm in PV)

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

Well her dad came and was able to push it by the bar along the top. Both sensors are green. When her father pushed the button, it would start to go down but then it would stop and not go anymore. It's an old unit but she's hoping it can be fixed and not replaced. Any suggestions on someone to take a look at it or is lowes your best bet

Bessie Bessie
Oct '14

Make sure the sensors are pointing straight not towards the ceiling.

This happens to ours every once in a while....spray WD-40 on the tracks and also hold the button down until it goes all the way down.

Ours is old too- one of those projects that we have been putting off forever

Nosila Nosila
Oct '14

had mine fixed by the company that installed the doors for PV - precision garage door or something like that- I had the springs replaced because one was stretched out - motor was fine --- if she needs replacement I'd call around - are we sure the sensors stayed solid green or did one flicker?

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '14

If the door is now disconnected from the motor and it still won't move in either direction, the motor burned out. Usually if it was just misaligned then it would have backed up all the way to where it started and you could just try again. Only solution for the motor is a whole new unit. Go out to any store and buy one, but be careful it's compatible with the chain or other type of track you've already got.

If it by chance does reverse itself, and not just no longer working at all, then yes some WD40 is a first step. Then is checking all of the tracks to make sure there is nothing loose. Also adjusting the tension in the springs. That can be tricky and you may want to call a professional if it doesn't just clear up right away. A lot of people here have recommended Carl from Close Brothers in Ledgewood 973 927-4141.

I would recommend " Always On Time" Garage Door Repair. Nice gentleman and not expensive.
908-213-9474

sweet-pea sweet-pea
Oct '14

@ Nosila & GC, WD-40 would be my first choice, but was told by a garage door repair guy to never use that product as it attracts and keeps dirt in the tracks. I was told to use graphite to lubricate the tracks.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '14

Pay attention to the flashing light. They will flash with codes telling you what the problem is: obstruction, too much resistance, sensors misaligned, etc. Look up the make and model of the unit online for the codes. Might be something you can fix easily.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '14

A quick bump as I had a spring fail and needed somebody to come in quickly to get it fixed.

I used 'Always on Time' due to the recommendation above, and was very happy with their service. They were able to come the next morning, fix the door, and adjust my other door to get it back on track.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Jul '15

I used "Always in Time" today! They were fantastic!!! Highly recommend. They did the same job on our door spring that Precision did about 4 years ago-except AOT charged us about $150 less!!!

"@ Nosila & GC, WD-40 would be my first choice, but was told by a garage door repair guy to never use that product as it attracts and keeps dirt in the tracks. I was told to use graphite to lubricate the tracks."

Correct. Any oily lubricant will attract dirt and wear out the rollers or track. This goes for sliding patio doors too. There is a specific can labeled garage door lubricant at Home Depot - found it right next to the WD 40.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '16

Close bros.

Talleyho
Jul '16

four stars for "Always on Time Doors".....will never use anyone else ever again!!
the BEST................................wow!
thank you Greg!!!

Found this thread yesterday, made an appointment on line with "Always on Time Doors", my garage door is now fixed! LOVE these guys & highly recommend them! Whenever I need info I come to HL first and have always been satisfied.

I recommend always on time doors as well.

maker maker
Apr '17

I have a good handy man that lives in Hackettstown - let me know if you want his number :-) jessyswismer@gmail.com

Always on time works for me. Nice folks.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Apr '17

Hi! Looking for someone to fix our garage door too. Is Always on Time still the best company to use compare to Precision door? Ours is also old and ours is more will not open all the way time to time but seems to be happening more often now. We do know we need to fix the pulley and cable. We trid doing it ourselves twice but its hard and the cable can get tricky so we figure its time to call someone to do it. Please let us know who do you prefer since the post here are couple months ago but I assume still valid. Just want to make sure.

Thank you!

momOf2 momOf2
Dec '17

Always on time doors are great! They installed 2 new doors for me. Excellent work.

Always on time doors - excellent!

Love To Sing Love To Sing
Dec '17

Thank you! I will call them up.

momOf2 momOf2
Dec '17

Bumping this thread up.

Thanks to all the former posters, I called Always On Time who repaired my two garage doors last week. The work was done perfectly, quickly, and the cost was more than reasonable. This is one of the most professional companies I have had the pleasure of working with in our area.

If you need new doors or any door repairs, don't look any further than Always On Time.

Always on time doors 908 213 9474 did a great job today for a door repair Highly recommended by us for the price and excellent service.

Lilindependace Lilindependace
Jan '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.