Craft Beer

Kraft Bier place to be opening in Kneckel ford bldg?

ignatz ignatz
Sep '14

Did somebody say beer? What do you mean by place? Store? Restaurant? Do tell.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

They brew beer, you go in sit down and drink it while watching sporting events on multiple TV sets.

ignatz ignatz
Sep '14

I'm in!!!!!

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

There are going to be two brew pubs on Main Street?

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Sep '14

Breweries, they cant be brewpubs due to NJ liquor laws, 1 at the old bank which has already begun construction and then one at the old ford building

Winecountry Winecountry
Sep '14

does that mean free samplings?

Bring it!!!!!

Steve-0 Steve-0
Sep '14

Breweries that are allowed to sell retail for on premises consumption though, right? The only thing lacking from a brew pub will be the food?

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Sep '14

Yea basically, they can sell their beer by the pint, or growler. Samples are all based on the brewery, for example carton brewing charges $5 for 5 - 3oz samples. But since they don't have the class 33 license(Bar) they cant sell food and other people beer, spirits, and wine

Winecountry Winecountry
Sep '14

Wait. There's something called a "growler?!" Really? I can go in and say, "gimme a growler, please!" ?? I need to do this. I don't know exactly what I'll be ordering, but I definitely want to say that.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '14

A growler is basically a sealed container usually 32 or 64 oz that places fill with beer or wine for you to take out of the premisises to consume at a byob restaurant at home or wherever you choose

Winecountry Winecountry
Sep '14

Re: Craft Beer

Rebecka - This is a growler.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

Sounds like another coming soon rumor can"t be two breweries on the same two block stretch of Main Street

eapos eapos
Sep '14

I hope Kraft "beer" turns out to be a whole lot more appetizing than Kraft "cheese", lol.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '14

"Sounds like another coming soon rumor can"t be two breweries on the same two block stretch of Main Street"

why can't there be 2 breweries? The best part of this is the size. The owner is buyer wants to use the entire building.

With all the great restaurants we have on Main street and now 2 breweries coming in this is going to make Hackettstown a very appealing place to come to.

darwin darwin
Sep '14

and yes ianimal it would be nice if someone could correct the spelling on the thread to "craft" :)

darwin darwin
Sep '14

Given ignatz's initial post, perhaps the German spelling "Kraft Bier" is correct? Could that be the name of die Brauerei or is it just his wife's heritage seeping through?

ianimal ianimal
Sep '14

The original post was Kraft Bier a moderator changed the Bier to beer now the Kraft has been changed. And since you need to have the correct spelling, darwin should be spelled correctly also,. So could the moderators please change it to Darwin. :)

ignatz ignatz
Sep '14

ianimal -- I thought of Kraft Cheese too ............... and then I thought of Welsh Rarebit ............and it made my heart happy!

happiest girl
Sep '14

Until there is more info just sounds like BS to me, maybe a Hooters too!

eapos eapos
Sep '14

eapos - This has been under wraps for quite some time. I don't know how many of the hurdles have been crossed yet, but this is no Olive Garden.

Maybe Hackettstown should have a new name . Beerville, Beer Town,, Hopstown and Brewersville are some of my suggestions.

jerseycash5
Sep '14

GC Under wraps for some time? Perhaps a secret brewery so no one steals the location? Give me a break. Liable to have someone try to open a Ford dealership in the building?

eapos eapos
Sep '14

Imagine if Htown became known for its craft breweries and great selection of varied ethnic restaurants! How wonderful would that be?

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '14

I think that would be great, a theme like that could really be a niche to get people to this town. And close places for good beer for us locals is a bonus.

It definitely would be wonderful!

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

I wouldn't say it's been under wraps for a long time. Just that it's still in the early stages so nothing official yet. I don't know where they are in the process of securing the site but it's great that another business is looking to invest in hackettstown. And one that has the ability to be here for a long time and not another pop up store

And yes it would be great for us to be known for our unique restaurants and micro brews. Makes this a very trending town to visit

Darwin Darwin
Sep '14

Darwin : )

ignatz ignatz
Sep '14

I heard about this brewery shortly after starting the process to open mine in the old bank. Unfortunately, I don't know a whole lot more than you all do. I've heard a few rumors, but that's about it.

I can clear up the licensing questions, though. Our breweries would fall under NJ statute 33:1-10, Class A license. Specifically "Limited brewery license." There are categories from 50,000 barrels/year up to 300,000 barrels per year. A barrel is 31 gallons, and abbreviated "bbl". As I'm planning to brew fewer than 1,000 bbl/year, I fall in the lowest category.

The license allows me to sell my beer directly to retail establishments (bars, liquor stores), and to offer my beer at retail for consumption on- or off-premises in conjunction with a tour of the brewery. Up to 15.5 gallons per person.

From what I've been told, the other brewery would fall into the same category.

If I wanted to sell food (i.e. be a brewpub), I would need a 33:1-12 Class C "Plenary retail consumption license", in addition to a 33:1-10 Class A "Restricted brewery license", which is different from a "Limited brewery license" in that it will only be issued in conjunction with a "Plenary retail consumption license".

Unlike most other states, there is no "Brewpub" license in NJ.

The retail consumption license is the same full liquor license that bars are required to have. This means you can't just apply for one, you have to buy an existing license--there are only so many allowed per town and I understand they've all been issued. I've seen them priced anywhere from $50k to $1m, if you can find one for sale in your area.

Any questions? :)

Joe Fisher Joe Fisher
Sep '14

Well, I was always curious about NJ's alcohol control laws as they applied to microbreweries...though not quite curious enough to research them. So thanks, Joe!

Congratulations and best of luck with Man Skirt, and thanks also for your commitment to an honest pint!

After watching some of your YouTube videos (including the very instructive one on homemade fresh mozzarella), I've come to the conclusion that you qualify as a Renaissance Man.

Not too many of them around nowadays....

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Sep '14

So we are going to have 2 breweries in town? Nice.

sack
Sep '14

Thanks jj! I do like to learn and try everything I can. Just be happy I didn't make a video about my attempts to learn the bagpipes...

Joe Fisher Joe Fisher
Sep '14

I do have a question for Mr. Fisher. Will you be allowed to fill growlers from other brew pubs? I have a couple of really interesting growlers from lake Placid that have self sealing lids (like the Grolsch bottles) that are impressive to bring to picnics. I tried to get Long Valley to fill them and they only allow their own growlers.

Hard to describe but if you google "growler ithaca" and look at the images its on the first row, with a metal handle and self sealing top.

Even if I had to buy new ones with your logo, just so I have something impressive to bring gatherings, this style would be kinda cool.

Agust Agust
Sep '14

You know Agust, that's a really good question. I know in other states there are actual laws about filling growlers from other breweries--something about truth in labeling--but I don't know about NJ.

I'll ask the ABC right now and let y'all know when I hear back.

Joe Fisher Joe Fisher
Sep '14

Cricket Hill fills other's growlers

NJ breweries allow other peoples growlers, but it is up to the breweriea themaelves to determine wether they want to or not
http://www.beerstainedletter.com/index.php/news/item/52-n-j-brewers-get-growler-guidance

Winecountry Winecountry
Sep '14

Thanks Winecountry. I was unable to post a picture from work but here is the type of growler I was inquiring about.

Joe, really looking forward to your opening as I lve a couple blocks away and am a fan of craft beers.

Agust Agust
Sep '14

Agust - That's a cool growler. I've only seen ones that have a twist off top.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

that's a really pretty bottle, i want one

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Sep '14

According to the email I just received from the NJ ABC:

I can fill another brewery's growler, but "if you do, you need to affix a label or something over the other brewers logo. If not you are in violation."

This is one kind of growler I've been toying with. It's a double-wall, vacuum insulated, stainless steel vessel that will keep your beer cold for hours. Plus since it's not glass, you can take it to the beach, sporting events, etc.

The only problem is price. I'd have to sell it for around $55.

Joe Fisher Joe Fisher
Sep '14

You should definitely offer other, more economical options as well, but I would buy one of those.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '14

I just bought one of these ss growlers, though it's not insulated, 64oz. Goingt to try it the next time I brew a batch. Yes, it wasn't cheap, $29. Figured I would try it first before the insulated one, which is $45-49. Is this similar to the one you got Joe?:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005G5YRYY/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3H9V1EMGQSHX7

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Sep '14

Similar, but the ones I got are from Drink Tanks. I should have included the link in the first place:

http://www.drinktanks.com/

They're designed specifically for beer from the ground up. You can even get a neat dispenser cap so your beer is never exposed to oxygen.

I have one, but all I managed to do with it was paint myself and the walls with beer. Besides, I don't know about you guys, but a half gallon of beer doesn't last me long enough to stale.

Joe Fisher Joe Fisher
Sep '14

Nice. I'm guessing you would get them for considerably less than $69. They would be great for tailgating.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Sep '14

My buddy got in on that when it was just a kickstarter concept last year...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/584321487/the-perfect-beer-drinking-vessel-and-private-keg

ianimal ianimal
Sep '14

Mine also came from the Kickstarter! I got two of them, plus four of these nifty silicone pint glasses.

Joe Fisher Joe Fisher
Sep '14

I could polish off a half gallon of beer in less than an hour for sure. No worries about staleness for me.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

I know Joe from NJHOPZ Homebrew club and have had his beers. He makes great beers and Man Skirt will will make a superb addition to the Hackettstown area.

I look forward to your grand opening, best of luck Joe!

Scott Scott
Sep '14

Hey Scott, I recognize that smiling face! Can't wait to see you in the brewery.

Joe Fisher Joe Fisher
Oct '14

Any idea of when you'll be opening?

Scott Scott
Oct '14

Scott - Here is the Man Skirt thread. It could use a bump up? :-)

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/605655

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.