Landlord Reviews

Are there any websites where you can write/see reviews on local landlords?

Tenant Tenant
Sep '14

I doubt that could be done legally (without crossing one's rights) - As most landlords are private citizens (not public servants, governmental ones), I think any site writing any negative comments about a landlord, would result the same as such a list of "local tenants" a landlord should avoid to prospect to rent.

Although I agree asking for a referral or maybe a neighbor's or former's tenant's advice is common {just as a landlord asks for References upon request, and etc.}; But would anyone want your "rating" on a list for an employer or landlord to choose from?

If I'm wrong, I'd just love to read all about who's been nice or naughty in this neighborhood!!! {~ I'll have Santa email it to me, tonight.} I've have a lot of work cut-out for myself to do, this year...starting with my kids....then other's kids?!? - Just Kiddin'

I don't think this is about who is "naughty or nice".

If it's a review of the business relationship (renter/landlord) how is that any different than reviewing a hotel/restaurant/etc. and mentioning the manager's performance?

If you're relying on hiding behind "review bans" to protect your business you're probably doing something wrong.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Sep '14

Mark Mc - The same goes for businesses constantly posting spurious reviews of their competitors. (and then complaining they can't "defend" themselves)

Protection from "fake" reviews with one thing...

Protection from "bad" reviews is another...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Sep '14

You can do it on apartments.com. I get all the Mansfield Village posts. Some are good and some are bad.

Just take them with a grain of salt. Most of the bad ones are just angry people and the place is not all that bad.

Trip advisor does it for hotels and motels. A motel I have spent a lot of time at at the NJ Shore has received a few bad reviews. They were mostly wrong. What I am saying is be careful of reviews. Try to make your own decision.

Singlemaleinnj Singlemaleinnj
Sep '14

apartment.com does it for garden apartments. I have never seen them for private duplexes or homes.

Christine Christine
Sep '14

I happen to have a great Manager but you need to look at how the owners take care of there property. It tells a lot. My garden apt was built in 1960 but they keep updating them. A company rep comes once a week to check things out. They do little things like Planting flowers in all seasons. Windows have been replaced with double pain windows
Things like that. The only bill I have is an electric bill, and they don't advertise.

Old Gent Old Gent
Sep '14

If a tenant pays the rent, doesn't give you a check that won't clear, pays all their utilities, takes care of the property like it was their own, this certainly will NOT made any landlord angry. the landlord will treasure t his tenant.

on the other hand, there are tenants that don't give a hoot, give you late checks, or give you a rent check that bounce just to "pay the rent", doesn't mow the lawn much, doesn't rake until the next spring in May and thus kills your grass, breaks things by neglect, this kind of tenant makes a landlord want to wish they didn't allow them in!! IT'S A TWO-WAY STREET!

If you're a landlord you have to be smart, and check their credit score and report, their length of work history and if they got fired to see if they have a good work ethic and can hold a job and AFFORD to pay you the rent, and do a thorough check on them before you offer them a 12-month Lease. It's usually the tenant's pushing the envelope to see how much they can get away with, in most cases, that make the Tenant a worthless selection. Usually it's a "bad tenant" for this reason, and not the other way around, unless you have a Slum Lord as your Landlord.

HLife Browser HLife Browser
Sep '14

As a property manager for over 22 years I can tell you, without a doubt, that any negative landlord review (unless the landlord is a true slumlord) would be just a disgruntled tenant.

If a tenant pays their rent on time, keeps the property/apartment clean and damage free, does not have massive, loud parties and follows what they signed in their lease; they will never have a "landlord problem."

Landlords (and I have worked for over 75 different landlords and property owners) will treat an tenant very well and they will have a great landlord/tenant relationship if they follow the rules and pay the rent.

The only exception to this are (as I said) slumlords (and there are less of them than you think because most people want to keep their properties in good shape), or bad supers who work for apartment complexes.

Heidi Heidi
Sep '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.