Anyone else have awful, miserable neighbors?

I live in PV, for several years now actually. My one neighbor seems to have nothing better to do than call animal control on other peoples dogs when they bark (although she leaves hers on the back porch screaming and yelping late hours of the night), she leaves notes everywhere if she doesn't like something, etc. She will never just come talk to our faces. She apparently lost her job a few years ago and took in some older man... Twenty years or more older... He pays her mortgage, car payments, plus he gives her a free handicapped parking sticker! Its obnoxious and even the animal control officers confirm she has always been a miserable person. She spreads rumors about everyone. Am I and my neighbors the only ones who are stuck in this awkward living situation? Please let me know if there's anyone else with Satan living next door and how you handle it!

Brady84 Brady84
Aug '14

my mom! theres open parking spots without numbers where my mom lives and these people who live by her will call the association if shes parked there for more than a day... shes 60 years old give her a break and they could use the exercise! and that's just on one side ..the guy who lives on the other side is another story! I will never live in a townhouse/condo or development!

sunny sunny
Aug '14

wondering how you know so much of her business - and at the same time glad my PV neighbors are all really nice people............
there are rules about leaving dogs out unattended - so you too have grounds for a complaint

5catmom 5catmom
Aug '14

I live in PV also & I personally don't have any issues with my neighbors BUT I do see what what some of my other neighbors deal with. I actually think I know who the original post is about. What I've found is best is just MYOB. Fly under the radar. Be polite when you see your neighbors but then go inside. Don't let anyone see your business all it will do is fuel their gossiping. Be the bigger person.

buffy buffy
Aug '14

My neighbor does.

DiaHillRes2 DiaHillRes2
Aug '14

This is why I choose to live on a large lot with few neighbors. Fortunately, the ones I do have are so nice. Now to your problem, my suggestion is for you to annoy them to the point that they move.

sack
Aug '14

I've lived in 3 communities - two townhomes - one condo - and I've always had neighbors who were considerate, helpful, and in most cases - fun-- but having been on boards in two of the communities, I did hear some ---well unpleasant - stories and complaints

5catmom 5catmom
Aug '14

At my last house in Somerset, the neighbors behind me did nothing but scream at each other all day and all hours. Came to the point where I couldn't enjoy my patio and didn't want to open any windows. Very thankful that I have great neighbors now.

Don't know what having an older man in the house who takes care of her has anything to do with making her a bad neighbor (other than to spread rumors and conjecture yourself, Brady) but the rest sounds pretty bad.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Aug '14

Re: Anyone else have awful, miserable neighbors?

I can't complain... but I'm in the rare position of getting to choose my neighbors... and they are great.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '14

I am lucky I have pretty great neighbors, some times some get a bit loud when they have a party but it's not often, and I am sure we are loud at times too. I have heard that neighbors on the otherside of my neighbors have called the cops for this issue or that. That's just not who we are though. If we have an issue we talk to our neighbors and work it out. I always consider us lucky when I read some of the horror stories on the forum :) I'm sorry you aren't so lucky :(

Sunshine Sunshine
Aug '14

I live in PV and have had multiple properties. When we were in the condo, the issue was that some people there act like it's a house with a yard. We had couples with kids who left their toys out all over the place, played all over the lawn, piled outdoor furniture on their patios, etc. They also let their dogs walk freely and didn't clean up after them. This is all behavior for people who want to own their own yard. The people were all very nice but just don't get it. When you sign up to live in a condo area, there are rules. Our neighbors here in our townhouse building are all very nice. So far, they keep their properties very neatly decorated and are pretty good about cleaning up after their dogs. We are blessed with decent and respectful neighbors, but that is not always what you get. It pays to bring things up to the property association when it's important, but you really have to chose your battles.

BrandyB BrandyB
Aug '14

.....I think the perfect neighbors are those who live in the grave yard.
I have college kids living across the street and they can be annoying on Saturday nights (and the occasional Thursday ) and the neighbors to the right are old and I enjoy them. They have been in that house way longer than the 27 I've been living in mine. And then there is Mrs Byrd who likes to sunbathe in a bikini, she must be in her 80s by now as she was old when I was a kid!! I'm glad I don't have to deal with crappy neighbors.

Smack Smack
Aug '14

I'll bet she looks better than some of the winners I see at the beach in bikini's. Ive seen woman that are built like sumo wrestlers in them. Whats up with that. They should be fined by beach patrol

jerseycash5
Aug '14

7 acres-no neighbors!

JustSaying2 JustSaying2
Aug '14

Had a guy when I lived at the village green scream, break glass, listen to vulgar disgusting things loud, vibrate my apartment, would slam things against the wall in the middle of the night that would make things fall off my shelves

Safe to say I moved out after just a year of living there. And he was my downstairs neighbor.

And I enjoy loud music and the like, but geez.

Also had a neighbor over there that, for a week straight, took two parking spaces up on purpose even though he knew there were no parking spaces in our lot by the end of the night. So one day my girlfriend left a nice poster on his car, leaving him a "kind" message.

He didn't do it since that day.

Now that I live in Towpath, my neighbors have only been respectful and courteous.

Abonnet Abonnet
Aug '14

i'm lucky, i got great neighbors, and aways have, but i tend to be a friendly out going kind of guy who has always made friends easily, brought people together,

maybe, sometimes, we make or shape our own luck in these situations?

there are some real a-holes out there in the world though, so mabye i've just been lucky not to live next door to one of them. not sure about that one.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Aug '14

Justsaying2-7 acres, PERFECT!

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Aug '14

I think you're on to something about shaping your own luck in these situations, BrotherDog.

Aquarius Aquarius
Aug '14

Yes! We refer to out neighbors as the Beverly Hillbillies! And we are right in town..They have 3 dogs, chickens, and now a pig! They literally drink beer and smoke all day, blast 80's music constantly, and usually have a visit by the police about once a month! Now they have a "tenant" living in their cellar, he's a beauty too. We tried getting along, but it's not worth it...Also, they are LOUD and burn "crap wood" bonfires...What a pleasant smell!

deviljet
Aug '14

Re: Anyone else have awful, miserable neighbors?

I thought everything was supposed to be positive and happy on this forum. Between this and the Annoying Phrases post, my Spidey Sense is tingling.

LeRoy Grimace LeRoy Grimace
Aug '14

If you're a person who tends to have horrible neighbors, you should ask yourself whether it's actually you that's the horrible neighbor.

Gadfly Gadfly
Aug '14

I do agree about being the bigger person. I meant that, its a shame if all her bad luck and circumstances influenced any of this at all. All my other neighbors in the building(s) and us get along perfectly. We knock on the others door if something is changing, if we may be loud, and they do the same for us. I cannot even count how many people have had their cars towed because of her. What I especially don't get, we work all day, come home, make dinner, go to bed, repeat. Out at 7am back by 6-7pm. I was brought up to respect my elders, REGARDLESS of how petty they may be, unpleasant, you get the picture. So we don't say anything, especially BC we feel as if she wants confrontation. I feel bad in a way. But again, I meant with her circumstances that I wonder if she has been unfortunate (not financially) with her situations. The neighbors on the other side of her tell us, and the others, what rumors she screams on her back porch and say we can file a slander suit. But I've always been a firm believer in that it takes a million times more energy to be so negative.

I definitely used to feel BAD for her, because her partner is pleasant (he can't walk or hear much), but I think understandably I've lost compassion. I don't get rules applying to everyone but her, either.

I'm using this forum more, you guys are great!

Brady84 Brady84
Aug '14

I have a neighbor in lower Diamond Hill who get's his jollies off by lighting M-80's or something equivalent, big boom stuff. He did it the other night around 9:30 and every window in the house shook, scared my cat half to death not to mention myself. I called the cops on him once but I guess he didn't get the message. The dude is not a kid either, in his mid 40's at least,

My neighbors are ok for the most part. There have been one or two things that I have spoken to one of my neighbors about and they were apologetic, but also didn't change their ways. At that point I just decided to live with the circumstances rather than have tension between us. It could be worse.

I guess it's possible that you could bring this on yourself as some have stated, but why would you? I think most people consider their home a place that they can relax and be peaceful in therefore why would you encourage friction with the neighbors? Of course I'm talking about "Normal" people here lol!

I would say if they are doing things that clearly are not allowed in PV then file a complaint. As far as the other stuff (personal) I would just ignore it. Some people look for trouble when they have nothing better to do with their time, I guess.

Whenever I think my neighbors aren't perfect, I remember I'm not either. Life's too short and I wouldn't trade any of them.

I purposely move out of "town" in Bergen County 10 years ago to get away from neighbors. Not that they were bad people...I just didn't want to be trapped by houses separated only by narrow driveways in every direction I looked for the rest of my life. Now I have acres of corn field across the road and woods on the other three sides. Silence....so nice. I don't miss neighbors at all.

jaemae jaemae
Sep '14

Ugh my back neighbors don't care about their dogs barking at 5:00am. Some people don't like getting up that early, just cause they have to go to work that early, doesn't mean everyone does. So dam annoying every morning. Ready to report to dog catcher soon. Don't know how they would take it if I went to talk to them first. Dam dogs bark for 2 hrs straight. Do they not hear their own dogs, just inconsiderate to me.

idlechatter idlechatter
Sep '14

My neighbors every now and then like to burn garbage -nothing like the smell of burning plastic...

htownnewbie htownnewbie
Sep '14

Third World country htownnewbie? From this thread I should be grateful for where I live now -- good neighbors all around.

I'm going to miss my neighbors when we move in very soon!! Hopefully I have just as awesome neighbors in the new house.

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Sep '14

Now, This is a bad Neighbor

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/phillipsburg/index.ssf/2014/09/pohatcong_township_woman_twice.html#incart_river

Old Gent Old Gent
Sep '14

Lol, after reading that, we shouldn't complain about anything OUR neighbors do. Too funny!

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Sep '14

Since we're airing it out.....to the person in Diamond Hill who practices his/her golf swing and shoots balls into my and my neighbors yard, please stop. They are coming close to the house and will likely break a window soon. We have been picking golf balls out of our yard for years! Get one of those green screen things or something!!!!!

Diamond Hill Blues Diamond Hill Blues
Sep '14

Probably White Trash too Old Gent...

We've renamed her "the wicked witch of the Crest"! Hahahah

Brady84 Brady84
Apr '16

I live in a townhouse. Been here almost 17 years. Love it and hate it all at the same time. Most of my neighbors are awesome. I have 2 I can DEFINITELY do without, but I have always been taught to look at the whole picture and decide if it's worth the aggravation. One really is tolerable, the other...well...if i dont have anything nice to say, i won't... Lol! . Nothing is a perfect situation, you need to take the good with the bad. Remember, you only live once....don't waste unnecessary time and energy on people and situations that are beyond your control.

Just Saying.... Just Saying....
Apr '16

Just Saying...

Just allow the drug rehab to be built on the hill next to Panther Valley. Talk about bad neighbors...

DannyC DannyC
Apr '16

DannyC....
Well, that's one way of looking at things...lol

Just Saying.... Just Saying....
Apr '16

I have awful neighbors.My one neighbor has a junkyard/gravel pit on his property.Then I have other neighbors that leave their dog out at 5:30 am.I don't know whether they are just ignorant or inconsiderate.

boomer boomer
Apr '16

Bad neighbors must be awful

Hank Arthur
Apr '16

I've lived in my house for 6 years and we only talk/know 3 families in my development. It's a very very small neighborhood with maybe 20 houses. Even though I don't speak to anyone and not because I don't like them just would rather be a hermit...if any 1 of them needed anything at all i would be there for them.

I'm confused. You can't count how many people have had their cars towed because of her? Why would legally parked cars be towed?

I love my neighbors.It is so much fun to watch them pick up their garbage every other day after the bear destroys it.Instead of putting in the garage they leave it outside and sometimes they pick up the same junk 2 or 3 times,I just love free entertainment.

Cb175 Cb175
Apr '16

We live in PV and have wonderful neighbors. There are 5 of us on our street, everyone is friendly and willing to help anyone who made need something.
Most of us like to garden and share tips and ideas.

Susan Susan
Apr '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.