Oxford has no government

The last one left....The Mayor...resigned yesterday. What happens now?

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/express-times/index.ssf/2014/08/oxford_township_without_a_gove.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Oxford Watcher Oxford Watcher
Aug '14

The Soviets take over and it becomes Oxfordgrad...

But in all seriousness... I guess the town would need to have a meeting and choose a trusted senior to be mayor. Somebody there should call the state gov't immediately, because this is a big problem.

Not that I know anything about government, I'm just guessing,

LngVly22 LngVly22
Aug '14

Correct, there is nobody left. Jade White resigned yesterday. Keith Gibbons resigned last month. Jim Williams, who was appointed last year to replace Ort, should have had to run in the November election to retain his seat. He did not, so he was there in error.

To say the Town is a mess is an understatement. I'm really not sure what the proper procedure is at this point. I guess someone would need to be appointed, but appointed by whom? I will call the Governor's office this morning and see what is supposed to be done.

Hey Vic, how about you and I take over? ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

I second the motion! :)

Denise Denise
Aug '14

KKK comes back...

Ijay-Thought they never left.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Aug '14

bothered - Just curious, do you have any evidence that the KKK is currently active in Oxford? In all the time that I've lived here, I have never seen any evidence of it.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

" In all the time that I've lived here, I have never seen any evidence of it."

Because You don't see evidence of it does not mean it does not exist

ignatz ignatz
Aug '14

No I havent seen anything, but have heard Calico, but like ignatz said.........

Aug '14

Just stop by the Barber Shop...and you Kan see, Kan hear, Kan smell!

Batty1 Batty1
Aug '14

The town clerk should be running the town untill this situation is fixed?

Onlooker
Aug '14

ignatz - I understand that, which is why I asked the question of bothered.

Town Clerk? That's a frightening thought.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

Now wait one second, Oxford has a barber?

roywhite roywhite
Aug '14

It might run better with Secretary's running the place. They answers the phones and KNOW everything thats going on. Or maybe it's time to merge and save money

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

Answer the phones? LOL Not in Oxford. Half the time there is nobody even in the township hall. Good luck getting a phone call back when you leave a message.

Awhile back I had a question for the tax collector. I left three messages over the course of 4 weeks. Still no reply. My husband had to go down there and track her down in person to get the answer.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

Why did they all quit?

Unfortunately the 3 that got things done got fed up and all resigned. Leaving the others who milk the taxpayers to continue being lazy.

Batty1 Batty1
Aug '14

maja - The long story is in the article that the OP added above. The short story is, Gibbons resigned under harassment complaints, Williams' seat actually wasn't valid anymore as of January 1st and White resigned in a "I can't take it anymore" fashion.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

Ok, I found out that Governor's office has to appoint committee members since there is nobody left on the township committee to do so. I hope there isn't any kind of serious township emergency before that can get done. Until then, Oxford is a rudderless ship. Sigh.....

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

I bet your taxes are still due!

Time to clean out them guns, load'em up, hunker down, and wait for the federales to come clean up this mess.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '14

I think I just saw a convoy looking like Humvees going up Rt31

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

emaxx - Good thing my husband cleaned up a bunch the other day. Plus it's been easier lately to get ammo then it had been, so we're all set.

LOL Old Gent.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

I say, Calico for Mayor.

Aug '14

Re: Oxford has no government

Obama is sending in the Navy to protect the lake.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '14

Looks like the guy from Shipping Wars that past away earlier this year.

Aug '14

Lets see how things work out and then maybe the rest of us could get rid of our mayors and committees. We have too many layers of government now.

DiaHillRes2 DiaHillRes2
Aug '14

You know what Christie going to say. MERGE !!!!

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

I second the Motion Calico for Mayor and call for order and a vote I say Yea for Calico

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Aug '14

Too bad. It didn't seem like they were screwing anything up, which is quite the compliment when it comes to politics. I thought there may have been a juicy story that only the locals knew about.

"Because You don't see evidence of it does not mean it does not exist"

"ignatz - I understand that, which is why I asked the question of bothered".

Because you do not see evidence of God it does not mean He does not exist.

ignatz ignatz
Aug '14

Because you do not see evidence of three-headed mole people living in your toilet and enjoying karaoke on Saturday nights, it does not mean that they don't exist.

(See how pointless that argument is?)

ianimal ianimal
Aug '14

Calico696 wrote:
"Hey Vic, how about you and I take over? ;-)"

LOL! Nice to meet you and your husband Sunday at Oxford Community Day. Yeah it's quite the pickle our town is currently in. Could it actually get worse? Perhaps. Anyone know when the police contract is up with Washington Twp? Well.... that is another concern for another thread but imagine a town with no elected officials and suddenly no police support.

Exactly, But you would have to live in a pig sty to not know what was going on in your toilet.

ignatz ignatz
Aug '14

ignatz - Not a good question to ask an Atheist. :-)

I was just wondering if anyone had ever seen anyone walking around in a KKK outfit, or heard a conversation regarding the meetings of such a group. Like I stated earlier, I never have.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

I've never seen a toilet in a pig sty. But I guess just because I've never seen evidence of a toilet in a pig sty, that doesn't mean they don't exist either.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '14

Vic - It was nice meeting you and your daughter as well. Hope to see you around town, now that I know who you are.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

Here is an article I found from 2009...

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/index.ssf?/base/news-1/1231045563236450.xml&coll=3

I'm not saying that they still exist in Oxford, but according to the article they were around at one point in time.

positive positive
Aug '14

Yes, positive it's true they were active there at one time. My father-in-law grew up in Oxford and has told me stories from many years ago. I'm just saying I don't ever see or hear of any evidence these days.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

Re: Oxford has no government

Yup their hiding...lol

I know, I never saw anything going on either and I've passed through Oxford and frequented the Busy Bee many times. I think it's just a reputation that the town can't seem to shake off.

RU that picture is from the 80's.

positive positive
Aug '14

They may not be as visible now as they were 20+ years ago, but pretty sure they all didn't leave town at the same time.

Aug '14

That picture is from the Earth Day, 1990. They were featured in an article in the Express Times because they organized a cleanup along Route 31, in full regalia. I think the headline was something like "Just Doing Their Part."

Aquarius Aquarius
Aug '14

The late '80s were an angry time and probably the most recent peak of overt racism. I remember the Klan (probably the same guys in that photo for all I know) coming to Phillipsburg High School and distributing literature.

It was also the era of neo-Nazi skinheads... they were at every hardcore punk and metal show from Airport Music Hall to City Gardens. Plus who can forget their appearances on Geraldo and Morton Downey, Jrs. television shows?

ianimal ianimal
Aug '14

Calico,

I've seen them "march/protest" on Wall St twice over the last 20+ years.
Last time was over 10 years ago. It was only a couple of them, maybe 1/2 dozen
and they're only there for a maybe 10-15 minutes.

MikeL MikeL
Aug '14

That's a good point about that timeframe, ianimal. My college roommate became a skinhead during that time (1987-ish). She started off "punk" and before the year was out had traded her Mohawk for a shaved head. Her boyfriend would scrawl white supremacist graffiti in the stairwells of the dorm. Very angry stuff.

Aquarius Aquarius
Aug '14

Thanks Mike. I've been here a little over 7 years and haven't seen or heard anything. Maybe those final 1/2 dozen or so have moved on or passed on since.

I agree with positive, that it's something that this town just can't shake off. Which is definitely not a good thing.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

" Maybe those final 1/2 dozen or so have moved on or passed on since. "

Or, maybe they're sitting next to you at the fire house. You never know...

ianimal ianimal
Aug '14

A government without government? That sounds ideal...

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Aug '14

Yeah, Calico, that "Welcome to Oxford" picture is really unfortunate, and it just keeps the legend alive.

Anecdotally, I am told that the Klan used to canvass for members along Routes 46 and 31 some weekends, and that it has been at least a good 15 years since they have done that. Which jives with what MikeL said.

Aquarius Aquarius
Aug '14

Could be ianimal. But I sure hope not.

Back to the original topic. It's a shame that this happened with the committee, this group actually got some good things done over the last few years. Hopefully they will be replaced with others who are as enthusiastic.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

Or maybe they post on HL?

justintime justintime
Aug '14

Heard David Duke actually lived in Oxford.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Aug '14

"I've never seen a toilet in a pig sty. But I guess just because I've never seen evidence of a toilet in a pig sty, that doesn't mean they don't exist either."

Your starting to catch on.

ignatz ignatz
Aug '14

What are you going to say next? That there is no Santa? :)

Calico, According to a friend of mine that lived there approx. 15 yrs. ago The KKK was still active. We had went out for a few drinks one night and I was asking him about it. To prove it was true he took me for a ride to show me where they would meet in the woods. I have no clue where it was exactly, but off in the distance there was a cross burning in the woods that we could see. He said it was them having a meeting. I have no idea if it really was or not.

I don't believe the KKK is still an active effective organization in Oxford.
If they still exist they probably hide their hate in private meetings.
I'm sure it's nothing to worry about..

A few events every so often isn't anything to get excited about.

MikeL MikeL
Aug '14

Maybe someone can convince Willie Dee to come from Houston...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zS_0ZrHuY4

Featuring the Geto Boys? Shouldn't it be Ghetto.

Aug '14

Nope... Bushwick Bill was definitely a Geto Boy.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '14

? Ok ?

Aug '14

Hello all. Thank you for the support you've shown me and the township of Oxford on this forum. There were a series of unfortunate items that led me to the decision I needed to make for me and my family. I remain optimistic for Oxford's future and hope to remain involved in some capacity. I am also hopeful the powers that be who install candidates, pick those with an eye to the future and keep the focus of *all* Oxford residents at the forefront of their decision making.

Respectfully,
Former "MayorOxford"

MayorOxford MayorOxford
Aug '14

Article on the progress for a new committee.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/express-times/index.ssf/2014/09/oxford_township_ballot_set_for.html#incart_river

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

Oxford now has a temporary government.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/express-times/index.ssf/2014/09/gov_chris_christie_appoints_th.html#incart_river

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

Thank You for the updates. I'm not familiar with William Ryan or Bill Bray. I know Marc Pasquini (The former Mayor's neighbor!! lol) volunteers much of his time to the youth of the town as a soccer coach (Even though his own children are grown) and saw him volunteering all day during the community day activities. Looking forward to finding out more about the other candidates between now and election day!

Can't thank all three of them enough for at least stepping up!!

Oxford Watcher Oxford Watcher
Sep '14

i vote calico for mayor

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Sep '14

Bill Bray is a joke. Trust me. I'm ok with the others. They have to have an actual election in November though. This is only temporary.

Thanks BD.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

Pasquini is a GOOD guy and a great appointment to the town leadership. Would definitely get my vote had I lived in Oxford.

I still scratch my head and am totally perplexed at how the former administration in the town totally imploded so quickly. It has to be one of the biggest collapses in local government in recent memory.

timmyy timmyy
Sep '14

I just saw this on Facebook. It's to be held downstairs in the municipal building where the police dept. used to be.

Come meet the candidates for Oxford Township Committee. Republicans Pasquini, Ryan & Nyland will be available on Tuesday October 14 at 7pm & Democrat Christa Akers will be available on Tuesday October 21 at 7pm.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

i agree that pasquini is a good guy, oxford will be well represented by him.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Oct '14

Only one contested seat in the Oxford Committee election.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/express-times/index.ssf/2014/10/oxford_township_committee_race.html#incart_river

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

No surprises here. Good news for you folks in Oxford. You have an elected municipal government again!!! LOL

Congrats and best of luck to Pasquini and Team the next three years.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/express-times/index.ssf/2014/11/oxford_township_committee_elec.html#incart_river

Timmyyy
Nov '14

Let's hope they can get some things done.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '14

pasquini is a really good man, oxford will be well represented by him;

calico, please do stay involved, go to some council meetings periodically, keep testing their temperatures, let them know they are being watched, keep putting your toe in the water

it's a good thing

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Nov '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.