How do I change/pull out fuse in sub panel?

I want to replace a pull out fuse in my barn sub panel because it's blown.

Do I turn main off (i'm assuming:-)

Do I need a special tool?

Thank you!

Summer Summer
Aug '14

Define blown, define fuse.....

Old style, the plug type blow and you can unscrew and screw a new one in. Make sure you get the same rating (15W, 30W, etc.) Also, unplug everything that the fuse runs. You can turn off the main, but you will need a light then. If you unplug EVERYTHNG the fuse runs, you should be safe. But EVERYTHING. And turn out any lights on the circuit.

Pole breakers have an on/off switch that when tripped, you just toggle from off to on. If off, should be some red showing at base of switch, but sometimes subtle.

In both cases, when you put new fuse in and it blows right away, something else is wrong. Start by unplugging things. Usually the culprit device will show itself. Otherwise, u got wiring or outlet/switch problems.

If you need to replace pole breaker, based on your question, get an electrician.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Aug '14

Re: How do I change/pull out fuse in sub panel?

OK..so the wiring was done 10 years ago. There are 2 fuses on the panel and an on/off lever on the right side of the box.

So,....I turn the box off, then the main in the house too?? The lighting is good in there without the power so I think I should be OK...the fuses look like they pop in and out..similar to a battery and are cooper with a white band around the middle. I attached a pic..you can see the right fuse.

I don't know what a pole breaker is? lol

Summer Summer
Aug '14

1. Pick up the phone book.
2. Look up electrician
3. Call electrician.
4. Enjoy a beer.

atthedrivein atthedrivein
Aug '14

Please, be careful! That box is not protected as is most residential electrical panels. The disconnect lever only disconnects the power at the BOTTOM terminals, which only turns off electricity to your devices. The top terminals of that fuse box are still LIVE! You need to disconnect the power from where it originates, not at that box.

Even though the process of replacing the fuses is straight forward, you really should get some help. Touching any one of the top terminals to ground (preferably not through you!), in addition to being dangerous, will just blow the breakers up the line.

Besides, fuses like that don't blow for no reason. You've likely got a problem in a device or an overloaded circuit (too many devices on the circuit).

And if you do find someone to help you, you must replace those fuses with the same style (not necessarily the same brand, but the same type). Using the wrong style could make things worse.

justintime justintime
Aug '14

If you have to ask about this, don't do it. Call an electrician.

MrCharlie2
Aug '14

Pull the disconnect handle down. That disconnects the load ( Table saw, air compressor for instance) Then you can pull out the fuse (s)

Home depot sells what they call a fuse puller. It is either plastic or a phenolic material.
It's the safe way...it prevents you sticking fingers inside and struggling, and it saves you from cutting your fingers or clipping flesh off your knuckles.

A good makeshift puller, is take a 12 inch piece of old leather belt, and slide it behind and around the fuse center. Hold the belt ends, and pull.
You can wear rubber gloves to be sure.

The fuses look in size to be a 250 Volt 30 Amps or less.
You would need a puller to fit that size which is 5/8 inch diameter.

Just be careful !

Embryodad Embryodad
Aug '14

I would suggest calling an electrician too, but not just to swap the fuses. I'm really surprised something like that could have been put in only 10 years ago. Have it replaced with a real panel with breakers so you don't have to go through that again. And there isn't such a risk.

I'm sure it won't cost much to call an electrician. Your choice, a few bucks or possibly your life. Easy decision if you ask me.

Townie70 Townie70
Aug '14

leather conducts electricity, so if the tops are still live, then please don't use that method.

get the fuse puller, the plastic one,

better yet, get some qualified help for this job, like a family member who knows more.

your pic looks like very close quarters for a newbie to try unaided and alone.

please be careful,

you must respect the potential for disaster in a seemingly simple job like this,

respect the power of electricity, proceed with all due caution.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Aug '14

Hire some one who can do it please

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Aug '14

Thank you for all the advice!

Yes it was only put it 10 years ago after educating myself I believe the panel is not a newer style.

I will call an electrician. Not the one who put it in either!

Glad I didn't try it...electric scares me!

Summer Summer
Aug '14

I use Wires on the advice of HL. And good idea given the size of those fuses. And if both blew, it might be a symptom of something else like someone above mentioned.

Might want to look into getting an updated box; with breakers instead of fuses if you can. Breakers trip instead of blow and you can reset as easy as turning on a light switch. At least ask for a quote before they come so you can think about it.

I take it you have other boxes with breakers in them and that these fuses are for something big n special like dryer, water pump, etc.

Box is $50-$100 and breakers should be under $20 per plus install. Of course costs could vary since I don't know the exact spec's you need. But if you plan on staying there 5 - 10 years, might be better to upgrade now and enjoy it.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Aug '14

If your calling an electrician anyway, have that panel changed out to something with modern breakers.

sack
Aug '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.