Petition on Change.Org about Hackettstown

So, I was scrolling through Change.org today and I came across this:
https://www.change.org/petitions/new-jersey-transit-the-nj-transit-trains-should-run-out-to-hackettstown-on-weekends#share\
It's a petition asking New Jersey Transit to run trains on weekends out of our station. I don't take the train, but I signed it anyways because I want to help our neighbors (not to toot my own horn XD).
Oh yeah and if you were wondering, I didn't make the petition.

Lngvly22 Lngvly22
Aug '14

I'm surprised to learn that they aren't doing that.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '14

Great idea, I will sign now

BrandyB BrandyB
Aug '14

Seems like a good idea, but hope they don't start running it at 5am like during the week. Every once in a while I like to sleep in on the weekend, and some of the train operators are quite overzealous and completely unnecessary with the train horn at those early hours.

Darrin Darrin
Aug '14

WOW.....I have written so many letters about this! I am signing it right now. Going into the city would be so much better if they came here and had more runs during the week.

Darrin unfortunately you live very close to the crossroad for the train. They have to blow the whistle. As a child we lived on Liberty St and the sign for the whistle was right behind our house. The thing blew all hours of the night for freights back then. You eventually get use to it. now we deal with the 5am train during the week sitting at idle. PIA but now we are use to it.

Christine Christine
Aug '14

I live close, and others live closer.

Obviously they have to blow the horn, and we too have gotten used to it, as it is part of living in hackettstown that you must accept when deciding to live here, but there comes a point where you cross the line of necessary to unnecessary. Laying on it for 10 seconds at 5 am is unnecessary

Must be a particular operator cause it doesn't happen all the time. A close train to the city on weekends would be a great option

Darrin Darrin
Aug '14

I like the idea, I just don't know if it will be cost effective adn if people would use it. Maybe they should run a demo for a few months.

I used this train to go to work for several months, I can't imagine that many people consistenly using it on weekends, specially the winter months.
NJ Transit is designed more for commuters to ensure cash flow.

For my family on weekends it is not cost effective, it is cheaper and faster to drive to Newport and get on the Path.

now if they had a non-stop train into PennSt, I'll be all for it, but that's not happening.

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Aug '14

BrowneyesGuy has a strong point, the amount of users necessary to support the cost effectiveness to run on the weekend is probably not there. I would think that NJ transit has thought this through themselves.

Darrin Darrin
Aug '14

It’s a 2hr+ train ride into the city. I get using it for rush hour commuting , but on weekends you're better off driving all the way in to NYC or at least some place closer and then taking the train. There's not enough demand to justify a weekend train out of H'town

darwin darwin
Aug '14

Just signed. They need 100 signatures and have 48 at the moment. Come on everyone and sign!! Taking the train is so much better than driving and parking in NYC.

happiest girl
Aug '14

it's not just about going to the city. There's morristown, dover, chatham, and a ton of intermediate stops that make a weekend train worth NJtransit's effort.

Some of yall gotta think out side the box.

soccermom79 soccermom79
Aug '14

Fifteen ----- yes only 15 more signatures needed.

happiest girl
Aug '14

Soccermom79- I agree. Montclair is a very pretty town and I've heard it's easier to take the train in than to drive. With the exception of the supermarket or library or kid's football game, it's better to take the train.

Wish there weren't as many shady characters that got on in Dover though. XD

Lngvly22 Lngvly22
Aug '14

How often would you guys signing this petition use the train on the weekend? every single weekend? like it is used for commuting during the week? or would the train be used a weekend here and there?

To me it sounds like the petition is being signed more for a convenience then a cost effective necessity. Yes it seems like a good idea, would I use it, maybe once, twice tops a year. Doesn't seem cost effective for NJ transit.

Darrin Darrin
Aug '14

Hackettstown station isn't cost effective for NJ transit

Brad2
Aug '14

It now has 112 signatures.. only 87 left!

LngVly22 LngVly22
Aug '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.