Gas Cards being charged Credit Card Price

If you use your Gas Card (BP, Shell) when you fill up around here you are being charged an extra 10 cents per gallon. I thought you would be charged the same as paying cash. I was unaware until I checked my receipt this morning as I usually don't check the price per gallon just the bottom line. I will be going back to paying cash as a $1.50-2.00 per fill up adds up.

kb2755 kb2755
Aug '14

I believe it is the same with the Exxon station in Washington. Yes. I will now go elsewhere and pay cash. Their loss.

mansfield mama mansfield mama
Aug '14

kb,

I use a Shell corporate fleet charge card (NOT a credit card since the total balance must be paid every month) and am supposed to be charged the cash price. Obviously you're talking about the Shell on Rt 57. I've spoken to him about it several times, to no avail. Next step is to complain to Shell corporate.

The Shell on Rt 46 near the ITC charges the correct price, as does the one on 517 near Panther Valley. I don't use the Shell in the middle of town so can't speak to their business practices.

JerryG JerryG
Aug '14

I noticed this with my Shell master card a few years ago. I canceled that card when I discovered what they were doing.

sack
Aug '14

Most stations have their cash vs credit prices listed. Buyer beware if you do not look at them before you purchase.

btownguy btownguy
Aug '14

BP does not charge more for using their BP card. And I get back rebate checks for using it.

happiest girl
Aug '14

Hess charges the same price for cash or credit. I also go to Sunoco on 31 in Washington. If you use debit card and punch in your pin, you get charged for cash.

hopeful hopeful
Aug '14

Citgo charges same price too

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Aug '14

quickchek is the same price cash/credit

5catmom 5catmom
Aug '14

The Shell fleet card I use is a CHARGE card, not a credit card, and MUST be paid off in full each month. In return, the dealers' pumps are supposed to be programmed to automatically charge the cash price when inserted.

Go to Shell, use a CREDIT card, and you get charged the credit price, but like any credit card, you need not pay off the full amount, just the minimum payment.

Like I said earlier, all the Shell dealers around here play by the rules, except the one on 57 next to the Dairy Queen.

JerryG JerryG
Aug '14

I stopped going to the one on mountain ave because I told him ten dollars of regular. He filled it with premium. I said I am not paying for his mistake. He gave in and I left. Tried to rip me off.

Singlemaleinnj Singlemaleinnj
Aug '14

hopeful - the old Sunoco on 31 is now a Mobil.

Valero charges the cash price when you use their card.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

As far as Shell, it depends.

The one on RT 57 (Mansfield/Hackettstown) charges me cash price when paying with Citi Shell MasterCard, the Shell on RT 46 by Sams Club does the same.

I belive the one in Panther Valley and the one in town dont.

Since I moved I have been using Quick Check, but a couple of weeks ago used Shell on 57.

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Aug '14

BrownEyesGuy, really??

Because every time I go to the Rt57 shell with my Shell Fleet card I get charged the credit price. I've spoken to him about it, and he tells me he's doing nothing wrong.

And I have a stack of receipts to prove it.

JerryG JerryG
Aug '14

Jerry,
I don't have a Shell Fleet card, I have a Citiback Shell Mastercard, at least as of 2 weeks ago I got the cash price.

Just before the pumps starts the price automatically changes, usually $0.10 less than credit.

Just before they started with the two prices I had a Shell Saver card (not a credit card), and I closed it because the card will give me $0.02 per gallon back BUT they would charge me the Credit price.

Aug '14

I haven't gone to that shell in town for YEARS since they charged me more when I paid for my card, this was before they even posed that credit was more.

I've been told if you tell them you are using a DEBIT CARD (i.e. your bank card) you should be paying the cash price but even though I have said its a cash card, I get charred credit prices.... when I drove to NM this summer I would use my bank card and was charged cash prices.... so I think these guys re being sneaky jerks.

Smack Smack
Aug '14

I always assumed a charge card was the same as a credit card.

Smack Smack
Aug '14

In the case of Shell, the Fleet Card is a charge card - the entire balance must be paid monthly and you CANNOT carry over a balance to the next month. For that, you are supposed to be charged the cash price.

JerryG JerryG
Aug '14

So I had the Citiback Shell Mastercard as well. Now canceled, but I was paying the credit card price at several different Shell stations.

Debit card at a gas station??? Still amazes me that people use debit cards to buy things. Guess it takes a loosing money that the bank wont return in order for people to change their spending habits... Is a PIN required to use debit at a gas station?

sack
Aug '14

Yes a pin is required so yes you would have to get out of your car to use it.
And lol ,really it amazes you? And the bank doesn't return money that you haven't spent? Is that why when someone stole my boyfriends card information and charged stuff to it, he got all that money back?? I thought they didn't do that!!!??

Smack Smack
Aug '14

... "Still amazes me that people use debit cards to buy things"

Yup, same amazed when I see people on the Cash toll line instead of E-Z pass one....in that some people don't know (except for those who can't get a card) how to use credit cards just for its "rewards" [which means charge anything for its Cash, Cashback, or CashCredit towards other purchases, and simply pay it back (in full) when the bill comes - No interest is charged - just cash back to you (in currency or in cash credit].

Just FYI, it took some steps to get it, but I've been getting 5% credit (off my next gas bill) at any gas brand with this card: https://www.penfed.org/visasignaturepoints/?WT.ac=1555

However, I too took a number of trips/charges before figuring/being wise the stations different/higher prices when using charge vs. cash.
So, I second using Hess or QuikCheck stations (but not saying some Exxon stations charge the same credit/cash and any other stations do the same - it's just something to be aware of...unfortunately, every time)

Other "cash-credit" maxing cards I have is AMEX's Blue Cash Preferred 6% off Groceries (Shop-rite, etc.) purchases....[the math pays its $75 annual fee back, but there is a 3% version with no annual fee]
https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/blue-cash-preferred?nc=yes&linknav=us-ccsg-cardshop-cm-viewallcards-learnmore

But {now that I'm at it-LOL-many apologies for the blab} one of my other favorites is [with a Fidelity account...even if you ever just want to buy 1 fidelity mutual fund] they have a true CASH card that pays you 2% cash back off any "all other purchases"
https://www.fidelity.com/cash-management/american-express-cards

The banks (its savings accounts) just don't return more we can get from credit card companies...?!?...figure that out...?!? - Good luck

Pls Note: when applying for these cards, make sure you are applying for the correct card, (always read its terms), since the credit card issuer may have a number of similar versions (especially ones between its Visa & Amex) with a slightly different "reward", annual fee, & etc.

You definitely do not need a pin to use debit card at the gas station. I use mine all the time. Had an issue once in 20+ years.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Aug '14

**LOCAL CREDIT CARD/DEBIT CARD FRAUD**
from Roxbury PD

For the past several days numerous people have come in to report fraudulent use of their debit and credit cards. An investigation revealed several of the cards were used at the Ledgewood Farm, located at 1113 Route 46 in Ledgewood and the Wharton Farm Market located at 350 North Main Street, Wharton. Federal authorities believe over a 100 customers may have been effected.

There are a variety of methods used to steal credit-card and debit-card numbers. In this case, it is probable that malicious software, or malware, made its way into Ledgewood Farm and Wharton Farm Market software.

The affected data included customer names, credit- and debit-card numbers, expiration dates and three-digit security codes embedded in the magnetic stripe.

Owners and employees of both establishments have been completely cooperative with the investigation and would like to reassure its customers that it has taken steps to prevent further breaches and has worked to resolve the incident.

You should remain vigilant for incidents of fraud and identity theft by regularly reviewing your account statements. If you your credit/debit card has been compromised AND your bank requires a police report please feel free to stop by the police station to meet with an officer.

Aug '14

Pay Cash! and stop worrying about your dam rewards points!

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Aug '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.