Facebook "Likes" for Local Businesses

Just wondering if anyone besides me is having a really hard time getting any attention to the Facebook site for their local business? I made a Facebook page for the Mallard House in Panther Valley like over a year ago and we only have 45 "likes". :/

Anyone else in the same boat? I thought maybe we could do each other a favor and "like" one another's business pages because popularity helps you come up in the search faster. Here's mine: https://www.facebook.com/TheMallardHouse

If anyone else want's to post theirs, I would be more than happy to like yours in return.

Finally, anyone do the paid Facebook advertising and see a definite increase in business/traffic because of it?

sandy sandy
Aug '14

Done! Good luck sandy.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

Just a suggestion - you're likely turning "off" a whole lot of potential customers by only having a Facebook page. I don't use Facebook, and I don't visit any business sites that only have a Facebook presence.

Having that in addition to a dedicated site is fine, but you need something like MallardHousePV.com (Mallard House is already taken) to get my attention.

They should serve different purposes. The .com is a "facts/business" site, and FaceBook is the "social" site.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Aug '14

Thanks! :)

sandy sandy
Aug '14

If you are going to do Facebook advertising make sure it has very narrow targeting. I've tried a whole slew of things and if I go past about +10 miles, I start getting random likes from NYC that would have no interest in my service.

You've also created no content. Social media is not a mega-phone, it's about listening. Check out the Ryland Inn page, they are reposting weddings, getting people to talk about it.

Also watch this (warning language, but has so much amazing information):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcqCAqZtedI

christography christography
Aug '14

I've heard there are firms who hire people in places like Bangladesh to work for really minimal wages by U.S. standards ...

on "click farms" ... just clicking away "likes" ...

it has come to that.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '14

Andy:

That's why I say stay away from overlapping NYC with the advertising, even though it makes no sense for them to click farm the FB ads.

Also check out the Olde Mill Inn, they do a good job getting people excited.

It requires work, if you aren't putting time into it, no one is going to like it.

christography christography
Aug '14

I would agree you need your own web site, then do some locally targeted advertising with Google adwords. A business Facebook page should just be an add on. You can have reciprocal links on both sites. I would have more information for the main site, with some pricing, and the various services you offer. I would also encourage any happy customers to post positive feedback. Also I wouldn't pay anyone an exorbitant fee to design a web site, they are easy enough to do on your own. If you use a provider like GoDaddy they have all kinds of easy to use templates. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, get a college kid to do it for you.

Denis Denis
Aug '14

DONE!! here's mine https://www.facebook.com/carolsceramics?ref=bookmarks :) By the way you have a very nice page!

Sandy, you need to more advertising in general. We live in PV and have been in the area for years and had no idea that the mallard house existed. That area is associated with Colonial Manor and it was assumed that anything previously there was gone

Good luck to you

Brandyb Brandyb
Aug '14

You need to do some community things....like Hacketsttown community day or the Street Fair in Sept.

You need to have people tag your page in pictures when they have events there.

Also, your facebook needs more work- Taking a quick look not sure what it really offers.

Maybe allow a friend to use the space for free for an event or two with exchange of them tagging the venue in pictures. However, make sure it's local people.

Write to Warren Reporter and advertise.....See how much it costs to send a post card to everyone in the area.

I can tell you that I have planned several business meetings in the area and I have never heard of this place.

Nosila Nosila
Aug '14

There still is a place and purpose for advertising in the mainstream media.

It's hard to 'stand out' without it.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '14

My Mom lives in Colonial Manor and I had no idea Mallard house was still privately owned. I thought it was part of that.

FB is great for business. BUT I also had a website. The FB got more hits and questions then my website. Mostly because I was active in changing sales, merchandise etc. Join other forums and always include your FB and/or website. That helps to bring you up on top in Google. It did for me anyway. HL is a great one to be active on as it pops up first. Good Luck. I liked your page and agree with Nosila it needs some work. Your wedding pics need updated and the rooms you show need to be done like it is a wedding. The place does look beautiful.

Christine Christine
Aug '14

"Liked" yours as well cc!

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

Sandy I agree with Christine and Nosila..more wedding pictures would be nice and maybe more pics of the food, dancing and other festivities that you would see at weddings.Try to show how much fun people are having.

Of course take advantage of the free advertisting out there, FB, which you are already doing, HL and craigslist. The Treasure Hunt offers advertising for a minimal fee and a website on google might be the best avenue (probably pricey though). Valpak coupons may be another option, friends of mine do quite well with that, but I do not know the cost. How about handing out a bunch of your business cards to local businesses?

Another consideration might be to have an ad on those paper place mats that you see in most diners. I know when I'm bored and waiting for my food I read all of the ads. Lol! I'm not an entrepreneur..but if I was, I would take advantage of all the free advertising and also invest in paid advertising as well, just to get my name out there. I wouldn't just rely on one source of advertising..I'd use many sources.

Good luck sandy. :)

positive positive
Aug '14

I thought it was a part of Colonial Manor too.

MikeL MikeL
Aug '14

When I look for a local Hackettstown business, I look for an actual website. I don't even go to their facebook due to most places not using theirs.

AnthonyB AnthonyB
Aug '14

Sandy, FB is constantly changing its reach algorithms that's why doesn't matter how much you try to post on your page, it won't reach as much targeted population UNLESS you pay FB for promoting your page. But with even that way, the reach just to get "like" BUT not from locally even though you designate the radius of reach.

I would agree with all the previous posts, having FB page should not be the only way to get your business notice in the area. Having a true website could be a start. Good luck!

Kelly N Kelly N
Aug '14

Thank you very much Calico!! I really appreciate :)

CC, just "liked" you back!

As for everyone else, yes, Colonial Manor owns the old Inn, and it's them who rents out the Mallard house. I work for them part time. They basically just rent it out because it's there, so there's really no budget for advertising.

I try to do what I can, but since I have a full time job, another part time job, sell scentsy and have a toddler, I don't have the time to devote to it that I'd like.

A real website is a goal of ours, but unfortunately something decent costs about $4,000. And since they rent the room out for only $100 an hour, it would take 40 hours of events just to recoup it. I have been thinking about doing one of those pre-made Wix deals, but we'll see.

They are satisfied with the occasional event, but I would like to make it into more personally, because it's a really nice room, especially since they repainted everything in May. They hesitate to advertise it a lot, since it's not available Friday nights or Saturdays, so they just don't think they will get a ton of business no matter what they do.

We did have a big wedding there on the Sunday of Memorial Day, and it was filmed by Say Yes to the Dress! :)

Sandy Sandy
Aug '14

You can get a godaddy.com account with website builder for under $100. Use it for mine and it's very easy to set up and use.

ladeevee ladeevee
Aug '14

6 days ago I wrote to Mallard House and have not had a response. Timely responses are part of customer service.

Firefly Firefly
Aug '14

Filmed by "Say Yes To The Dress" and you can't get FB likes. Something is not right here. FB is only one small part of the social media you should be doing. A website does not need to cost 4K. I know of a great local guy that can put one together for you via Word Press for a couple hundred dollars. Please contact me thru my email here if you are interested in more info.

Firefly Firefly
Aug '14

We are a local dumpster company and would love to get some facebook likes! We are located right in Flanders and are hoping to become more popular in the surrounding area.

We've "liked" other local businesses and hope they do the same for us!

https://www.facebook.com/EnvironmentalTransportGroupInc

I live at Panther Valley and also was unaware of The Mallard House. Maybe an article can be put in our newsletter called The Panther. I just liked you on Facebook.

Darleen Darleen
Sep '14

CC, I would start to advertise locally for Sunday events. Many people are looking for holiday party/end of the year events at a venue that holds more than 50 people. Not too many nice places like that in HTown. A plus is to be able to provide food

We searched a while ago for a venue to host a sports banquet and we ended up having to hire a caterer to come to a hall.

Hack in town Hack in town
Sep '14

Check out local networking groups through meetup.com

Darleen Darleen
Sep '14

I would put some signage out on Rt 57 with some info - With all of the traffic that passes by, it may help!
Also, is there a reason it is not available on Fridays or Saturdays (just curious)

av111ks av111ks
Sep '14

I believe the owners are Seventh Day Adventists and sundown Friday to sundown Saturday is their Sabbath.

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Sep '14

"Also, is there a reason it is not available on Fridays or Saturdays (just curious)"

Maybe they're trying to kick start a new trend for Tuesday mid-morning brunch party extravaganzas... make your reservations now!

Seriously, though... for a catering type of business, being closed on Friday and Saturday sounds like just about the worst thing you could do. I understand that there may be religious reasons for owners to not be present on certain days, but does that preclude them from hiring managers to run it for them on those days?

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Sep '14

Firefly, our episode didn't air yet, it will be on the new season.

Unfortunately, I didn't get your email?? Did you send it through the facebook site? I just checked, I haven't had a message since May... send me a PM through here, or call the # on the FB site, I would be more than happy to answer any question you may have.

Lady Jayne, correct. That is the reason, and as it's not their primary business (They only have it because it came with the Inn), it's non-negotiable. Their religious convictions are very important to them and I admire that, they are good people. They keep the price low to make up for the inconvenience.

Sandy Sandy
Sep '14

We are also a local service in Hackettstown. Think it great to support each other. Hit like for all that are here. Hoping you will do the same www.facebook.com/AttentiveTouch. Wishing all great success!

Dawn B Dawn B
Sep '14

I think it should be a requirement that in order to "like" a business, you should have actually USED that business. Crazy, right?

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Sep '14

@christography .Thanks for the youtube clip. found it to be very informative and entertaining. Think I have just become a follower of GV.

Dawn B Dawn B
Sep '14

Do people bring in their own caterers? And alcohol? May be interested in a Sunday.

Yes, you can bring in your own caterer, or I can assist you in setting one up. You are also free to bring alcohol. If you're interested in booking, please PM me, I would be happy to set up a tour.

Sandy Sandy
Sep '14

Firefly, I pm'ed you but never heard back or received your first email you said you sent. Maybe an issue with the email carrier?

Sandy Sandy
Sep '14

Mark, I see what you're saying. But most of the time when you like a business, it is just so it shows up on your facebook news feed. When a restaurant is newly opened, I will like it so I can see their progress, see specials, etc.

I have a measly 100 or so likes on my little photography page. Meanwhile, a friend's son has 2,800 likes for the page he created about Ginger, his Goldendoodle. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong!

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '14

Rebecka - Compete with a Goldendoodle?? That's "Don't" #2!!! There's only one thing worse in the world.

Rebecka, post your face book link! I will gladly like your page and invite my friends to as well. I have many animal loving friends!! I would love to see pictures you post on my news feed!

Sandy,

Just Liked your page!!!!

This is the link to my page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Daily-Money-Manager-Services-LLC/293084354872?ref=hl

Good luck!!!!

Joe C. Joe C.
Sep '14

Liked you back Joe! :)

Sandy Sandy
Sep '14

I liked the pages listed above, here is my page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-G-Gs-Big-Closet/399383250159387

Just for you to know I used the page promotion in facebook to get more likes, it brings some, but much further from Hackettstown than I expected.

Liked you back! :) Yes, I use the paid advertising for my other business, and we get "likes" all the time, but pretty far flung. Not really what I am looking for here, I prefer local people know about it.

Sandy Sandy
Sep '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.