Golden Skillet - closed?

Word had it it's gone for good. So sad. Was the best fried chicken around.

Charlotte
Aug '14

Sign in front says that "all equipment for sale" when I went by Sunday afternoon. Hasn't been open this past week or two.

ss2cats ss2cats
Aug '14

I agree with you, Charlotte - best chicken around. Also the fish sandwich was the best. (Actually Wendy's fish sandwich is, but they are only sold seasonally). I also vote for their root beer float.

Well that stinks. My days of eating there ended when the owner came out screaming one day when I went fishing and parked one spot to far to the left. Then in another incident screamed when I was sitting on "his" bench as I put on my waiters. Unreal.

sack
Aug '14

oh I thought he was only on vacation, there was a sign in the drive thru window that said closed for vacation. So sad.

hktownie hktownie
Aug '14

Oh that really stinks.. I would make the trip from Belvidere a couple times a month to get their chicken.. Gonna be missed for sure!!!!

Shady Shady
Aug '14

Whether they're closed or not, I wish the family the best. Good people always helping out.

The owner/operator did seem to be a bit wacky...lol

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Aug '14

Good riddance.

Philliesman Philliesman
Aug '14

Well you can still go to Puerto Rico for golden skillet.

Booster90 Booster90
Aug '14

Keep the place going! Somebody buy up the place and keep it going.

If your up for a road trip here's their other location. http://goldenskilletofvirginia.com/

sack
Aug '14

Sorry to see this iconic restaurant close. ;-(

Chickadee Chickadee
Aug '14

Such sad news! Although it was never quite as good as when the Budd family owned it, it still was really good and waaaay better than KFC! Will miss it!

HHS fan HHS fan
Aug '14

I know exactly what you're talking about sack I used to stop by their twice a month to pick up dinner for the whole family.

Stopped in one day and there were three teenage boys sitting on a benche with their fishing pole's as I was getting out of my truck the owner came out telling the boys if they were not going to buy anything to leave. I got back in my truck and never stopped again the kids were not taking anyone's spot not bothering anyone there were only two cars there

oldred
Aug '14

Closed because the guy who owns the trailer park/golden skillet building didn't want to renew the lease. They may be moving to another location though. Fingers crossed.

Kdawg
Aug '14

They may be moving to another location though. Fingers crossed.
Kdawg

But why would he/they being selling their equipment? Unless he/they plan on getting updated equipment.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Aug '14

So sad I loved their chicken! He was a little quirky but that's what made the place interesting! And you could do some garage sale shopping while waiting for your chicken! Best of luck to them!

Wow I wish them well they were all ways nice to me it will be missed best chicken and frys

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Aug '14

The rumor mill.... sheesh

Owner of GS, not owner of trailer park,
has been struggling for years due to fast food ally, i think he deserves to be a bit cranky, really nice guy if you actually start up a convo.
went bankrupt and cant do anything about it, corp america killed another small town treasure and i think every ones rude comments are unjust.
thats all.

How about a Stewarts drive through, that would be great,then put a Drive -in , where they left that Mall, that never was complete!

Wow- Hackettstown trading post, White Castle, now this? I really, really hope that no other places are closing, and I also really hope that Golden Skillet will be moving to another location, maybe even on Mountain avenue. Always wanted to go, never did, and now I fear I may never eat there. Best luck for the owner and the employees.

LngVly22 LngVly22
Aug '14

The unfinished mall is already becoming 50+ housing called "Lions Gate".

GC- That's great. Not over 50 myself, but I'm very glad that that old concrete slab will become something that is (hopefully) pretty and visually appealing.

With the possible location of the Golden Skillet, perhaps the old Rite-Aid? I believe that has sat empty for many years and it's a giant eyesore-but the land and store are salvageable as we found out when "Spirit" opened there last Halloween. Just an idea.

LngVly22 LngVly22
Aug '14

Way better then KFC. Sorry to see it go.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Aug '14

"Always wanted to go, never did"
I'm guilty of this too, but our lack of patronage encourages these downtown establishments to close!

kepa
Aug '14

I use to go frequently during my teenage years. I remember one time I picked up a bunch of chicken and one person wanted mustard for their chicken. We asked him if we could have mustard and his response was "Ewwwww" in a snotty kind of way. I didn't want to gross him out anymore by asking for things he didn't like on his chicken so it was my last time there. I won't miss it when I stop back in H'Town.

M & K M & K
Aug '14

M & K

Thanks - you just made me hungry for a chicken breast with Swiss and mustard from Davy Dogs in Mt. Arlington! Oh so tasty!

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '14

Loved the chicken, so that was the only reason I went there. The owner was nasty and sarcastic not only to employees, but customers too. I was one of them. I gave him a coupon once and he went crazy. He started screaming at me telling me it was a fake coupon. I asked him where I would have gotten it. He said I printed it on my computer. Like I have nothing better to do with my time than designing a coupon with his logo on it for a dollar off my order. That day I told him to keep his chicken and walked out. But his chicken was so good, I did go back again. I will miss his chicken, but I do think part of the reason he couldn't make it was his treatment of his customers.

Tanya Tanya
Aug '14

Best chicken in town?!! Only chicken in town. Please tell me if theres another place to get some cause I really enjoyed thier chicken, even if the place was a dumpy time capsel with a wackie owner.
Anybody think the prices where a bit high for fast food?

Roywhite Roywhite
Aug '14

I like the golden skillet guy. He would see me going through drive through and that, I wore a tie. so after that he would always have a bunch of his older ties there with him. and he would ask if I like any and give me a cpl ties each time I went through. I always thought that nice of him and neat in a sense.

I never ate there but I wonder if the Golden Skillet chicken held a candle to Cactus Jack's from a hundred years back!? I was little then but there was NOTHING like their fried chicken...
The owner went on to work for/own (I'm not sure which) a limo service and has since passed away :(

LittleWing LittleWing
Aug '14

Roywhite-KFC. Nasty though.

Aug '14

Cactus Jacks was our favorite "fast food" ever. Best burgers, hot dogs and chicken. Nice friendly place to eat. Sure do miss it. The chains of today can't compare.

just wondering just wondering
Aug '14

I am surprised that no one mentioned how dirty the place was. It is one of my pet peeves. Greasy dust was everywhere. The floor was always dirty. The previous owners kept it spotless and we were there frequently. I hate to see them close as so many people liked them. I hate to see empty places.

Christine Christine
Aug '14

The owner of GS always donated the left over fried chicken to the Lord's Food Pantry, I thank him for that! Sad to see the Golden Skillet gone :-(

Property up for lease:

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/bfs/4627477813.html

I am surprised to see so many positive comments about the place. I moved here in 2011 and we tried it 3 different times. Since they are no longer in business, I don't feel bad sharing my opinion...their burgers were clearly just frozen patties purchased elsewhere as were the fries (not something you expect from a "ma and pop" shop). The ribs were meatless and stringy and the chicken didn't do anything for me. After the third try we decided it was not just a bad night for food - their food was gross.
I never had an issue with the owner but evidently from posts here, he was not the most hospitable dude. Not a good way to attract and retain a customer base.
And yes, the inside (and out) was not clean. It was old, beat up, and run down...all things I can over look if the food is delicious...
Not sad or surprised to see this place go. I just hope something new will fill the empty space soon.

Natalie Natalie
Aug '14

Owner was always nice to me and gave freely to the school charities when I canvassed. I like quirky though. Chicken was great, cooked when you ordered, but I never tried anything else.

Did not go as much since KFC offered "grilled" version. I know it's wrong, I know mine's better, and GS's was even better, but I like that stuff and it's not expensive when on sale and oh so ez. It's probably not even grilled but "spiced...."

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Aug '14

Christine-always did the drive-thru. Lol

Aug '14

what a bummer.really liked the chicken

papoose17
Aug '14

Shrimp and fries were great!

Aug '14

I could never look dirty! EVER!

Christine Christine
Aug '14

Just drove past. Anybody want to check again? It looks open to me! There's a jeep in the parking lot and I can't see any closed signs.
"Reporting" from the Texaco across the street-never Hackettstown Life and drive XD.

Lngvly22 Lngvly22
Aug '14

It must be opened for the exterminators to come in so the new renters can get a health certificate!

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Aug '14

The best fried chicken in jersey!!!!Please don't go.......kick out kfc it sucks....

regular diner
Aug '14

I meant to post this earlier but I forgot. When I passed by this morning, their sign was a "goodbye" message so I would assume they are closing.

MO H'town MO H'town
Aug '14

There is no TEXACO across the street (lol)

Brad2
Aug '14

Brad2,
There was a Texaco, not all that long ago either. If you look closely when pulling off 57 onto mountain ave, you can see where it used to say TEXACO on the black gas station shelter over what is now a used car lot. I pulled in there to type in what I wrote last night.

LngVly22 LngVly22
Aug '14

i know..but all the TEXACO gas stations in the area switched to Shell quite awhile ago

Brad2
Aug '14

Brad2,
Take a look next time you turn from 57 left onto mountain avenue. You'll see a clear TEXACO outline. Of course, some of us still remember when it was a texaco. I do.

Lngvly22 Lngvly22
Aug '14

I was hoping this was a rumor....but I guess it's true.

The sign says "To our regulars, We will miss you, You were like family " !!

Mariann Mariann
Aug '14

LV22 - I believe that Texico has been gone for 20+ years!!!!! lol

I will miss it. Loved the chicken and the staff. I watched one of the owners grow up. Best wishes to the both of them.

Snowflake Snowflake
Aug '14

A friend of mine is considering buying the property. It will be turned into a grooming salon and boarding/daycare for dogs.

Citizen Citizen
Aug '14

How long until somebody recommends a Wegman's or Trader Joe's? XD.
I hope it's something I can use. I'd like if there was something cool there. Even tough I'd be glad if @Citizen's friend opened a dog salon, my dog already has a salon. Maybe something to do with modern stuff? Like a GPS store. I'd love a GPS for my car.

Lngvly22 Lngvly22
Aug '14

LNGVLY22, you can get GPS at Radio Shack. There are 2 grooming places within a mile of the old Golden Skillet. One is in Riverside Plaza the other is in Hastings.

What do you think about a specialty sporting goods store? LAX equipment, Hockey gear, higher end baseball gloves and the stuff you can't find at Sports Authority and Dick's?

Big Blue
Aug '14

Big Blue- Thanks! I'll need to stop by Radio Shack.

I think a sporting store would be awesome, but I'd prefer if it WAS like Sports Authority or Dick's. I don't want to drive to ledgewood to get my kids their cleats every year. Perhaps a fast food restaraunt (chain) that we don't have. Long John Silver's perhaps?

LngVly22 LngVly22
Aug '14

Long John Silver's sells "food"?
How about a Chipotle or Qdoba!

Natalie Natalie
Aug '14

Like we need another grooming salon for dogs in town lol. I'm sorry but it's true

townie14 townie14
Aug '14

Natalie- Since Taco Bell is opening, I don't think they'll open ANOTHER Mexican place. And quite frankly, Chipotle and Qdoba are not coming to a town like Hackettstown. They like malls and urban areas.

LngVly22 LngVly22
Aug '14

before another CVS or dog grooming place, we need a Hooters.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Aug '14

Agree with Townie14...this town has enough groomers!

buffy buffy
Aug '14

Did some one say Hooters yes we need a hooters mmmmm just look at those hot wings ;-) and the uniforms are hackettsown colors

Aug '14

LngVly22,
Taco Bell is not Mexican, it is dog food.
Also, I don't think what exists around town seems to dictate what will move in...
I have seen Chipotles and Qdobas outside of malls and also in non "urban" areas...one would do well in this area.

Natalie Natalie
Aug '14

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2014/08/01/red_lobster_olive_garden_the_decline_of_casual_dining_is_the_decline_of.html

Those new-fangled restaurants are killing off casual dining, like Applebee's and Red Lobster. I would NEVER eat at Chipotle, and probably not even Qdoba. I'd rather eat Taco Bell and take Pepto-Bismol. Taco Bell isn't killing any other businesses off.

LngVly22 LngVly22
Aug '14

Huh??? Sorry, I disagree with you and that blogger - build up a nice little town square and people will come...Chipotle uses local and organic ingredients when possible...so they are actually helping other small business.

Natalie Natalie
Aug '14

I do agree that a town with a great dining district is a great thing to behold. I just love Alexandria VA because of this and beyond some gift shops and old buildings, there's not much else there.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Aug '14

Am i the only one that thinks that lot is the worst lot for a business to be in?

darwin darwin
Aug '14

No, the one where Boston Market was is much worse, IMO.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '14

You boys are both right - the lots are in terrible locations.

Natalie Natalie
Aug '14

LngVly22, just out of curiosity - why would you never eat at Chipotle? I've only eaten there once, but I thought it was pretty good.

this is ashame, another "mom and pop" gone. Jim and Penny were always polite and sociable. Jim always had a joke and I saw their son grow up right before my eyes. We always got our food to go and were never disappointed. They will be missed!

Well at least the Boston Market turned into a medical office, i can't see anything going in this lot and being successful. Hard to get in and out of, it floods, and it's seems to be IN a trailer park. Who would want to open shop there?

Dog grooming and boarding?? OMG i can just imagine the residents of the trailers loving that idea.

just knock the building down and leave it empty.

darwin darwin
Aug '14

I dont think Taco Bell is going in a bad spot. You got the hotel right there and all the traffic from the 4 strip malls right there. Shoprite area, Kohls/Walmart area, Piggys area and Riverside Gym area. Thats a lot of traffic. Oh and Weis/Home Depot area.

Aug '14

Best business opportunities near a trailer park in a flood plain?

That's just begging me to write a Letterman-style Top-10 list... but I can feel the all-too familiar backlash from the more uptight members of the HL Forum, where nothing ever fails to offend somebody, so I'll forego putting them in print and just chuckle quietly to myself here at my desk (-;

ianimal ianimal
Aug '14

Good move Ianimal

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

Saw sign on Golden Skillet yesterday that said "coming soon, bagels and deli"
Like we need another one.

Mar '15

Officially, it will be Budd Lake Bagels II. Saw it in their ad in the local paper. I'm so sad that we've lived down the street from there all this time and could have walked for Sunday bagels, and now we're moving. But we'all be about equidistant to each.

bothered, one GOOD bagel place in town would be nice.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '15

I haven't had any sandwiches from Piggy's but I do like their bagels. Crusty without being overly chewy.

I'd welcome another bagel and deli spot. IMO, you can never have too many choices. Who's to say this new one won't be better than all of the others in the area?

With that all said, man, I really wish we could get a quality fried chicken place in town. I like Popeye's (as far as chains go) but the best that I've had is a place named Chicken Supreme in Paterson.

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '15

Yeah, I just don't like the bagels at Piggy's or Hot Bagels. I'm a bit of a bagel snob. My favorites are Budd Lake, Muheisen's and Chester, locally. Mt. Olive bagels are okay too.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '15

Piggy's has the best breakfast sandwiches I've had in the area. Hot Bagels is pretty good, and I know there's a spot on main st I haven't tried yet.

Doesn't beat central deli in Florida NY (next to Warwick), when I lived up there I used to go there like three times a week. $3.50 for a bacon egg and cheese with hashbrowns on it and a small coffee. You can't beat that.

PenningsLandscaping PenningsLandscaping
Mar '15

All I want to know is...what will become of the big sign? If the American Pickers came by, I can just imagine Mike Wolf..."there are me and Frankie driving through New Jersey and BAMM! Giant sign shaped like a frying pan! It was large and in charge....I had to have it."

eperot eperot
Mar '15

When it comes to a breakfast sandwich, The Grove is the best of them all. Piggy's bagels are too hard, both Hot Bagels and Harpers have better. Hot Bagels unfortunately seem to be hit and miss sometimes. They are often good, but they need to work on consistency.

C&L I think is the other Main St place mentioned, and it's good too. I like their hot sandwiches at lunch best.

Underrated no nonsense breakfast spot - Leo's.

As long as a new place is really good, it will do well. But there's so much competition there's little room for error.

Are they keeping the drive up window

Mar '15

Bagel place with a drive thru for the win! It's so hard running quick errands like that with a squirmy toddler.

I can't comment on any of the breakfast sandwiches as I'm strictly a bagel girl.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '15

A drive up window for bagels is fantastic. But can you imagine the line of cars on a weekend morning??

Tanya Tanya
Mar '15

You're right Tanya. Unlike some, I've only used drive thru anythings since I've had a toddler. Even when she was in the infant seat, I'd carry her inside.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '15

so they took down the classic sign and just threw it in the dumpster? really?

Darrin Darrin
Mar '15

Like the DD on Mt Ave. IMO they built the parking lot too small. The drive-thru gets so backed up sometimes, its out onto Mt Ave. causing a traffic jam. The actual parking area is small and trying to back out is difficult at times. Hope that doesn't happen at the Golden Skillet bagel shop.

Mar '15

The pickers would have paid a small fortune for that sign and they broke it to pieces. Sigh...

Picker
Mar '15

"classic sign"? It was hideous. Glad its gone and something a little better looking going up.

Natalie Natalie
Mar '15

I would have happily hung that sign in my garage.

I can remember driving past that sign as early as I can remember- probably 5 or 6 years old on our way out to Spruce Run to go fishing.

:(

That sign was awesome. I would have easily paid $500 for it. I'm sure someone would pay more.

sack
Mar '15

+100 josh and sack.

Josh, I have a few old signs as well as NASCAR bumpers in my garage too

Darrin Darrin
Mar '15

No offense meant but you realize you only have yourself to blame if you actually wanted the sign.

I'm sure that if someone would have approached them about buying it, they would have been glad to have made some money off the sign to help with all the work they've had to do in there. They probably got tired of people thinking the Golden Skillet was remodeling or just opening under new management and stopping by for chicken. They've been there working on the place for weeks now & I'm surprised that nobody did just stop by to ask about buying the sign.

Phil D. Phil D.
Mar '15

Maybe because nobody knew they were taking the sign down?

Darrin Darrin
Mar '15

Darrin, you thought Budd Lake Bagels II was going to keep a sign that read "Golden Skillet"?

ianimal ianimal
Mar '15

+1 Phil D.

outsider outsider
Mar '15

The place closed months ago, "nobody knew" is an excuse. If you really wanted it you would have approached them and had plenty of time to do it. Phil D is right.

Did i say i wanted the sign?

Darrin Darrin
Mar '15

There's a Golden Skillet just like the Hackettstown one in Petersburg Virginia, same sign too. Only I think that one is still open. Anyone know if there is a connection?

http://goldenskilletofvirginia.com/

hktownie hktownie
Mar '15

Also someone could of claimed the sign. .. just because it was there didn't mean it was going in the trash. .. live and learn

Darrin Darrin
Mar '15

Also why break it up into pieces. .. they could of taken it down and set out next to the dumpster, it was like they didn't want anyone to have it

Darrin Darrin
Mar '15

Wasn't that sign at least 6' tall? I dont think it's realistic to say they should have left something that big on the side hoping someone would come take it.

Darwin Darwin
Mar '15

I am sure someone would of darwin

Darrin Darrin
Mar '15

So when do they open? does anyone know?

instead of another deli a new restaurant would be nice.... we're swamped with deli's. we need more variety.

Old School
Apr '15

The Golden Skillet is a chain. There was one in central/south Jersey as well - I want to say on 206. We used to pass it when we went to the shore when I was a kid. The dearly departed sign was not unique. :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Skillet

Aquarius Aquarius
Apr '15

If it had any value I am sure the guy who owned it for years would have taken it.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Apr '15

The new owners run into unexpected issues with the place after they bought it, so it's taking longer than they expected to get it up and running. I may see one of the family that owns it tomorrow and if so, I'll ask when they expect to open.

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '15

What branch decides what can go where? For instance bud lake bagels right down from hot bagels abroad. Or a cvs right across from skyline pharmacy, or six gas stations in one block, or 3 quick checks within a mile of each other.....I mean the list goes on, but who makes these decisions that these are the right businesses for our town?

Mind you I do realize there may not be much control our town has, generally I don't think we can tell a business no you cannot build there because we already have on can we?

Darrin Darrin
Apr '15

" but who makes these decisions that these are the right businesses for our town?"

You do. No money no stayee.

justintime justintime
Apr '15

I often wonder how they do market studies now. It seem when The fast food companies Mc D and the King challenged each other, the market changed its thinking. Banks never would give business loans with out one. I blows my mind with the number of Pizza joints.around. In my world, my wife never worked full time and we ate at home.Going out was a treat for her and the family. It was simpler days. Amen

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '15

But my question is, is there a way to deny new businesses if the local competition will chase out or ruin existing businesses we have had for years?

Or is it just as simple as, if they want to build, they can build, and the only way is to not shop there?

I just hate seeing our local run businesses ruined be chain stores.

Darrin Darrin
Apr '15

Darrin, are you suggesting that Budd Lake Bagel is a chain because they are opening a second location? I'm guessing business owners do some bit of research before investing, and are not just willy nilly opening new stores for kicks. Perhaps they know their product is better than what exists nearby.

By the way, how do you think Budd Lake Bagel felt when Mt. Olive Bagel opened a stone's throw from their existing store? Obviously it hasn't hurt them.

Just one more comment. It's my opinion that people in this area are loyalists. If they prefer Piggy's or Hot Bagels or Harper's or whoever, that's who they will continue to patronize. Same goes for gas stations, Quick Checks, whatever.

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
Apr '15

It's called "Free Enterprise." Within the limits of Zoning restrictions, anyone can open up a business as long as the use is permitted in that spot.

If the existing businesses are selling inferior products or providing inferior services, and the newcomer can do it cheaper and/or more efficiently, then more power to the newcomer!

If "Mom & Pop's Pharmacy" is selling Advil for $6, and i can get it at a chain store for $4, I'm going to the chain store. That may only be a $2 difference on that item, but multiply that $2 by eight or ten times, and that's real money saved.

Sorry, but I don't have excess money to piss away. I do support local businesses, but not when it means 20-25% extra out of my pocket.

JerryG JerryG
Apr '15

Tracy, I am not suggesting anything, just asking a general question. If anything Hot bagels abroad is more of a chain, but they were and have been here first.

I drive through many other towns and I hardly ever see this much crowding of stores that offer the same services and I was wondering why that is. Do some towns restrict this?

And JerryG, although I unfortunately can agree with your logic, that is what sends our local stores packing. large chain stores will always be able to buy and sell for cheaper, it has to do with the quantity they buy in, in the future, mom and pop shops will never be able to compete. We think main street is empty now......

I just feel like it is not a good sign, if we like to promote local businesses like we say we do, to openly allow competition to build right next door.

Darrin Darrin
Apr '15

Darrin, if you're worried now about empty storefronts, imagine how many more there will be if we follow your line of reasoning, and allow only one pizzeria, one drug store, one nail salon, one hairdresser, one coffee shop, etc etc etc.

And once you have only ONE of anything, there is no incentive to keep your prices down, since you'll be the only pizzeria/drug store/nail salon/hairdresser/coffee shop/whatever in town. Then watch that $6 bottle of Advil climb to $8.

JerryG JerryG
Apr '15

One, two, is not what I am talking about. I am talking about the 6 or 8 gas stations, the seemingly countless pharmacies. 3 quick checks (SAME EXACT stores!!!!!!, minus one gas station) within walking distance of each other................. I only using this instance as a starting point because they were on the same block. I am not saying keep one of everything I am saying why do we have 10 of some things in the same town, and what is to limit that?

Darrin Darrin
Apr '15

Darrin, that is a common practice. It's why Shop-Rite and Weis are across the street from one another. Customers would rather visit one area for all their needs than drive around to different areas. Same applies for pharmacies, gas stations, fast food, etc. I forget the term for it, but it's why you'll see that kind of commercial redundancy all over. At the core of most things in American life, laziness is the driving factor.

fuji
Apr '15

Not to get all techincal, but

There are only:
2 Quick Cheks in Hackettstown
3 Pharmacies in Hackettstown

darwin darwin
Apr '15

If anybody wants the "Stewarts" sign that's still in front of the old Golden Skillet, maybe they should go ask the owners if they'd be willing to sell it to them.

Just saying, since people complained about them throwing away the big Golden Skillet sign. Ask now, or forever hold your peace.

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '15

Only? lol

Darrin Darrin
Apr '15

This market obviously can support those businesses or they wouldn't stay in business. I know all of the Quick Chek stores are always busy. The fact that there are no Wawa's or 7/11's in town is probably why Quick Chek can support three stores. If a Wawa decided to come to town, though, I'm sure that would take a lot of business away from Quick Chek and I could see them closing a store.

If there are "10 of some things in the same town" and they are all able to stay in business, then there must be sufficient market for their products. If not, then some of them will invariably close. That's the beauty of a free-market economy.

With the exception of liquor licenses, which are by state law based upon population, a municipality cannot restrict the number of any type of business from opening as long as it is in a permitted zone for that type of business.

JerryG JerryG
Apr '15

Thank you Jerry, that is the answer I was looking for

Darrin Darrin
Apr '15

Does that somehow not apply to check cashing stores and tattoo parlors? Isn't there some sort of restriction in Hackettstown not to allow another one of those businesses? Or have they somehow been excluded based on zoning?

Aquarius Aquarius
Apr '15

The town can and does pass ordinances to limit the type of businesses allow in town. For example no more cash for gold, check cashing, tattoo parlor, financial advisors are allowed to open in town.

the cash for gold stores can't even more to another building under the same name because the ordinance still considers that a new business.

darwin darwin
Apr '15

here is an old thread about the ordinances the town put thru during the past Mayor

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/15919

darwin darwin
Apr '15

No more financial advisors? Why would a town limit that type of business? It is clean. It does not create parking problems since most of the transactions are by appointment.

hot under the collar
Apr '15

Thanks, darwin. That's what I thought.

Aquarius Aquarius
Apr '15

and how many of those do we have darwin?

Darrin Darrin
Apr '15

not that many. They put a limit on them. The town didn't want too many of those types of businesses in town. If you feel we are getting over run by bagel shops feel free to bring it up at the town council meeting.

Darwin Darwin
Apr '15

Not what I said Darwin

So what is the difference from limiting quick checks, banks, or pharmacies, that isn't the issue with tattoo shops, cash for gold and those type shops? What does our town have against these businesses?

I don't understand how if you would make a move to limit one type shop, you don't make the move to limit so you don't have the same type shops.

How is it right that our town can say no new tattoo shops or cash for gold shops?

Darrin Darrin
Apr '15

The Tattoo shop on Main St is certainly one of our better looking and kept store fronts.

Darrin read the old thread I posted. It explains why the previous mayor, BID director chose those types of stores to limit. They were concerned with the type of customers those stores might bring in. I'm not saying I agree with them I'm just telling you what they decided at that time. If you think other types of business should be limited you can bring that up, if you don't think any type of business should be limited than bring that up as well

Darwin Darwin
Apr '15

And yes the tattoo parlor is probably the nicest store front in town.

Darwin Darwin
Apr '15

Besides they can go to the planning board and get a variance if another shop of said kind wanted to come in. It would have to be approved by them I believe. Also it does not mean they cannot come into town. Its just Main St. They can be off Main anywhere else.

First Place tattoo should be an example for many commercial property owners and businesses. They are one of the nicest.

Christine Christine
Apr '15

It's quite amazing they were able to have this conversation just 7 years ago. For what was said and posted, you would be hung on this forum if that was today........and it ended just ten posts in.....amazing.

I think the difference here is that these businesses were limited because the town was afraid of the type of people they would bring to the area, not because of the amount of them, so this is a complete different topic then having 8 gas stations, or a quick check you could walk to before you even finished the coffee from the quick check you just left.

For a town with so much commercial I am so surprised we pay so much residential taxes

Darrin Darrin
Apr '15

I understand why a lot of people would have wanted the old Golden Skillet sign.

I don't think people will be having the same thoughts about the new sign that went up. It may win the award for ugliest sign in town.

When people come down Schooley's Mtn and enter Hackettstown the first thing they will see is an ugly sign that looks like it was made by a kindergartener.

Doesn't the town zoning officer look at the layout before approving it?

hot under the collar
Apr '15

hot,

I agree 100%, but on the other hand it is welcoming you to Budd Lake!

Haven't seen the new sign, we need someone to post a pic!

Darrin Darrin
Apr '15

You people need to get a life lol. Sign looks great and pretty cool that they used the existing sign structure. Budd Lake Bagel II not to hard to figure out. No way you all or the town should regulate what the name of some ones business is.

Weather Buff
Apr '15

Funny thing is "weather buff" you used a fake name just like they did, now that is funny!

Darrin Darrin
Apr '15

Raymond Eroh Jr. that good for you Darrin.

Weather Buff
Apr '15

I stand by my comments. I think the sign is cool I'll try to post a pic. Just got flagged for trying to post other another name as that is discouraged.

-Raymond Eroh Jr,

Weather Buff
Apr '15

Re: Golden Skillet - closed?

Not a good angle

Booster90 Booster90
Apr '15

I would concentrate on the condition of the trailer park next to it as opposed to the sign. Just sayin'

Apr '15

I don't see any issue with the sign, I too am happy they retained the retro sign stand too. Although the bud lake bagels in hackettstown is a little strange.

Darrin Darrin
Apr '15

What about Boston Market which use to be across the street, Phiillie Pretzel, New York Pizza in Washington, Texas Road House, etc. etc. etc.

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Apr '15

Booster90 Booster90
Apr '15

Re: Golden Skillet - closed?

I should have just pulled in to take the pics

Booster90 Booster90
Apr '15

Or Hackettstown Honda and Hyundai in Washington Morris county.

Darwin Darwin
Apr '15

These businesses apparently need to be reminded what town they are in....lol booster, did they make the welcome backwards on the handle part of the pan?

Darrin Darrin
Apr '15

"Welcome" reads correctly on the other side of the handle.
Unfortunately, those letters on the other side shine through whatever materials they used to show the word reading backwards on the north side of the sign!

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Apr '15

Signs aside, those guys make a really good bagel so I'm excited for the opening.

fuji
Apr '15

They should have spray painted it as a giant bagel!!

kelleo22 kelleo22
Apr '15

Looking at the sign in the photo, it doesn't look like the "Welcome" portion is bleeding through from the other panel; it looks like the northerly panel was printed exactly the same as the southerly panel, which was either a mistake by the sign maker or the building owner when ordering the sign.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '15

Budd lake bagel and deli does not bleed through

rapmuzik rapmuzik
Apr '15

I was secretly hoping it would have turned into a donut place and use the sign as such. Agree that it should have looked like a giant bagel;) I like their bagels too. The only place with a jalapeño one:)

Blackcat Blackcat
Apr '15

Excited to have a good bagel place! Budd lake bagels is very good.

lala1313 lala1313
Apr '15

Congrats to Budd Lake Bagel 2 grand opening Sunday. Our family originally owned and operated the Golden Skillet from 1974-1992 and are thrilled with our new tenant who has done a great remodeling job. For anyone traveling to Sanibel, Florida, we have a new and improved fried chicken restaurant there called "The Pecking Order", check us out on Facebook

Dan Budd Dan Budd
Apr '15

Awesome, Dan Budd. My husband's family is in Cape Coral. I will let them know about your place.

Had a bagel yesterday morning from the new place. Glad to have them in town.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '15

FYI - Their menu is now available on their BID Page -

http://www.hackettstownbid.com/restaurants/budd-lake-hot-bagel-deli-ii

Wendy @ Hkt BID Wendy @ Hkt BID
Apr '15

Delicious! Very thick, chewy and LARGE bagels.
SOOO superior to Hot Bagels Abroad.
This place will definitely give them a run for their money.
Good seating area inside as well, and they have baked sweets too -- had a cake with strawberrys & cream.
The man serving was extremely friendly.

hapiest girl
Apr '15

Another rave for Budd Lake Bagels. I stopped in with my young daughter and she approved highly of the bagels as evidenced in her not sharing with me! The owners were on the premise and very welcoming right down to giving away free slices of what I believe was strawberry short or sheet cake. The place was pristine, even the restroom :-).

We'll be back for sure.

But let's not bash the other bagel places around. They have their perks, too, and it's good to see healthy competition vs. empty store fronts.

Had the super cinnamon bagel with cc today and it was delicious! Bagels are.much bigger then hot bagels.

townie14 townie14
Apr '15

Their french toast bagel may be the best I've ever had. Excited for my cheat day this week so I can see if that remains the same at the new one.

fuji
Apr '15

Whenever they come to drop off bagels on Fridays at my workplace, they've always been very friendly. The folks from the other two places we tried for bagels were fairly friendly as well however our company went back to them because the bagels from the other places just didn't compare, especially that French Toast bagel I recommended way up the thread somewhere. Good to know that other people find it as delicious as I do:-D

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '15

Do they have the driveup open?

Teenie
Apr '15

Just had an everything bagel from there and it is very good!!

Just as a side note (not specific to Budd Lake Bagel)...does ANYONE eat all the cream cheese that bagel shops schmear? It is like a cup of cream cheese. I always order just a little or wipe 3/4 of it off. Just curious if I am the oddball here and if most people enjoy an inch thick schmear of cream cheese...

Natalie Natalie
Apr '15

Is their drive thru open yet ? Can you get a deli sandwich here also?

stressed out stressed out
Apr '15

I always say easy on the cream cheese and I still have to wipe it off!!

Booster90 Booster90
Apr '15

I don't know that I've ever seen it an inch thick (although the Bagelsmith in Washington in the late '80s was probably pretty damn close) and there HAVE been occasions where I scraped some off, but usually, this is how it goes...

I take the bagel (sliced and cheesed, but not cut transversely), tear it in half, hit the globs of cream cheese in the center where the hole used to be with my tongue, then I pull the top half of each half bagel off, leaving the cream cheese on the bottom half... then I smear (or, schmear, if you prefer) the bare half into the cheese half so that approximately half of it winds up on each half. Then I eat it "open-face" style. I suppose that in the end, it winds up with the same cream cheese to bagel ratio, but doesn't seem quite as over the top as eating a "cream cheese sandwich". The cream cheese also doesn't squeeze out of the sides of the bagel that way either.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '15

stressed out --
Don't stress, they DO have sandwiches!!

There are 28 different "Celebrity" sandwiches, 8 wraps, and 5 paninis including 2 that are vegetarian for those interested in that.
There are also 14 deli sandwiches, 8 club sandwiches and 14 hot sandwiches ( also a few vegetarian).
They also have salad platters including Greek.

hapiest girl
Apr '15

Went yesterday afternoon. Ordered a BLT on a sesame bagel for myself, egg/sausage/cheese on a sesame bagel for my son, and a plain bagel with cream cheese for my daughter. DELISH! You know, like that messy kind of delish where you are licking your fingers kind of good? Haven't had that kind of delish anywhere else. I'm hooked!

Just Me
Apr '15

Went today and tried the French toast bagel. It was absolutely amazing but not so amazing for my diet. Owners were very nice. Drive up window is open. Had a little glitch with the register but they fixed it and apologized. No big deal would def go again. Hot Bagels are in trouble.

Teenie
Apr '15

FYI - budd lake bagel is operated by the same people who operate muheisens in washington

mjd31 mjd31
Apr '15

mjd31~good to know. Haven't tried the new place yet but Muheisens has the BEST French toast and super sticky cinnamon bagel.

BACI'S mom BACI'S mom
Apr '15

I don't think it's the same people

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Apr '15

I was under the impression that the Budd Lake Bagel family and Muheisens were the same as well.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '15

They own 5 deli's. Budd Lake 1 and 2. Two in Washington and 1 in Wharton. Yes. It is a family business. The Muheisens. They are very nice. The mans name is Ed and his sister is Lupi (sp.?)

just the facts maam just the facts maam
Apr '15

Stopped in today to get a veggie Panini which was very good. Very nice people working in here. The owner told me he does NOT own Muheisens but they are related. Also the hours are 5-6 and not 4-4.

BACI'S mom BACI'S mom
Apr '15

Went today. Had a very tasty sandwich with French fries. Impressed with menu and service. Think they will do well.

Steve

Apr '15

Went yesterday , ordered a few bagels to go , one being the super cinnamon. Opened bag later on at home to find it was a cinnamon raisin. :(. So disappointed

Missrx Missrx
Apr '15

I had the same thing happen to me missrx, I was disappointed too. But I'll go back for sure!

molly
Apr '15

hi Dan Budd! I was in your class at HHS. I remember you used to write some of the little rhymes on the sign out front of Golden Skillet back in the day.

We'll have to try the new place this weekend. But we do miss the Golden Skillet fried chicken. No other place could match it.

hktownie hktownie
Apr '15

Went there last weekend, very good bagels. My only "complaint" was it was very noisy in there, not the best acoustics. Maybe that was the reason for the mishap Missrx. I found it a little hard to hear in there.

But the food was great will definitely be back.

darwin darwin
Apr '15

I will go back because I'm craving that super cinnamon !!! But it was off peak hours and I was only customer :)

Missrx Missrx
Apr '15

Tried them this past weekend. Damn they were good. After a short pop in the toaster oven, light and crispy on the outside and soft inside. I've found a new bagel store. Sorry Piggy's.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '15

I stopped in at 5:45AM last week and wanted bagels for the family. There were several types already made but not every kind. I was disappointed that there were no everything bagels as they are my and my family's favorite. I asked and the said not yet but while I was waiting more sesame came out and added to a bin with many sesame bagels already in it. I said maybe you should make a few of each kind to start instead of all of one kind. I just got a blank look and a head nod. A breakfast sandwich of eggs, Taylor ham, and cheese on a bagel which they charged almost $6.00 for. A little high but the bagels were good. I just hope they have everything bagels the next time I stop, not enough of a difference to go without my favorites.

MK,

Did you order anything extra on your Taylor Ham, egg, and cheese sandwich? According to the menu the the Hackettstown Bid posted it should be $4.65 plus tax. That is about $5.00, not $6.00. Its still more expensive than Hot Bagels (I paid about $4.50 there after tax).

hot under the collar
Apr '15

Went today to try super cinnamon.. and it does have raisins in it. The only difference I could see from regular cinnamon raisin was it had more cinnamon and a powdered sugar dusting on the top.

hktownie hktownie
May '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.