Wedding attire

Have a August wedding to go to and not sure what to wear. Is black dress pants appropriate?

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jul '14

Sure. I have seen more and more women slacks at weddings over the last few years. Have fun.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '14

Depends on the formality of the event.

also depends on the day and time

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '14

I'm sure a lot of the men will be wearing black dress pants, so why can't a woman? I say go for it! :)

I just got a new catalogue I didn't ask for this week, however, it turns out they have really nice clothing although pricy. I just saw one of their long skirts on sale down from $79.95 to $ 29.95. The lagoon blue( I think that was the color) was beautiful, but they also had the same skirt in black and gray. You might want to go to their on line site and check it out. But I do think black dress pants are appropriate for just about any event with the right top. softsurroundings.com

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Jul '14

Spent the greater part of my life in fashion retail so you just made my day by asking this question, botheredbyuu2...........Black dress pants are appropriate for any dressy or semi -dressy occasion or everyday wear, In fact, the color black (which years ago you never wore at a wedding) is very accepted in formal dress for a wedding or any special event. I would, however, wear a fancier top than you would normally wear to other events with the black slacks and then... invest in some color-coordinating chunky jewelry to pick up the colors in the blouse and slacks...i.e: black and white jewelry with black slacks and white top. You are going to look "smashing!"...My last trip to Kohls ...they had a great selection of costume jewelry and most of it on sale...

joyful joyful
Jul '14

Casual cool.

fitter fitter
Jul '14

My 2 cents: black + pants not good for wedding + August. This is the middle of the summer, and it's a wedding. Why not choose color and a dress?! I agree that we've become an "anything goes" society, but why follow everyone else into the "anything goes" mindset? I tend to follow more traditional rules of fashion, and I personally would never, ever wear black or pants to a wedding. Again, just my 2 cents and disclosure: I grew up in a very conservative, formal setting: as an example, I never saw my grandmothers out without stockings and gloves. Obviously, we don't have to go that far, but I always feel it's nice to make an effort. In the end, it really depends on how you feel about it, your comfort level, and how formal the families are or are not.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '14

Lol Rebecka. I havent worn a dress in years. Look slimer in pants.
Wedding not at a church. I was thinking black pants looked weird, in Aug. Thanks for all the input. Appreciate it.
Thanks Joyful, Im going to Kohls on Monday. :)

Jul '14

bbu - no disrespect but I always thought you were a male - I like you more now :)

Skippy Skippy
Jul '14

I am with you, botheredbyuu2....with the dress thing...I have not worn a dress in years and as far as the black slacks issue....I wear black capris, slacks, palazzo pants and all styles of mostly black or colored slacks for most of the events my hubby and I go to and I believe I am always not only properly dressed for the occasion but am comfortable enough to enjoy myself. You can do a lot with those black pants( I really like the Citiknits material).. with a pretty top and color coordinated jewelry and shoes. One other tip...invest in a small evening bag for the wedding to match your shoe color. Large handbags are not appropriate at a wedding...

joyful joyful
Jul '14

I do believe men where black pants to weddings even in August! Lol

Outsider Outsider
Jul '14

Lol, thanks skippy.
Joyful- we think alike. Lol
Rebecka-blouse is olive green with jewel adornments on top, near neck.

Jul '14

Yes, Outsider...they do...Black and White are now appropriate colors to wear all year.

joyful joyful
Jul '14

Forget what the fashion police have to say. wear the black pants. Black is classic. Dress it up with a fancy shirt and jewelry and a hot pair of shoes. There is no rule when it comes to fashion. Create your own look and be comfortable.

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Jul '14

Exactly what I have been trying to say, Wild Angel....Thanks!

joyful joyful
Jul '14

I remember years ago my Mom told me you can't wear white after labor day and that is what she was told growing up. I asked why. Her answer was "well that's just what they said back then" Puzzled, I said..."well WHY?!" She Said..."Oh I don't know I guess it doesn't really matter" And it doesn't! They now have "winter white" LOL

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Jul '14

My mother always used to use the term "they". I always wondered who "they" were. LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '14

I was at a wedding a few years ago in the summer where the bridal party were in long black gowns. It was very elegant.

happiest girl
Jul '14

It is now proper to wear all colors in clothing year round but it is the material used in the article of clothing that would or not be proper...For example you can wear white all year but in the summer it would most likely be a cotton or polyester material and in winter more a heavier material such as wool or even the slinky citiknit material for dress..same goes for pastels. Times change and so does what is considered proper and not as far fashion etiquette is concerned. Nothing beats a great smile and confidence in a person no matter what they are wearing...

joyful joyful
Jul '14

While I agree with the black pants and wearing white after Labor Day, I still think there should be some limits to wedding attire. I've noticed a lot of women wearing white (or something very light that looks white) at weddings recently, which I've always thought of as a big no-no.

Tracy Tracy
Jul '14

The only men wearing black pants to a wedding are the wedding party and the waiters, lol.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Jul '14

DEFINITELY a NO-NO to wearing white, even off white, to a wedding. I think that it is rude and insulting to the bride.

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Jul '14

I agree with the guests wearing white to a wedding....that is still considered improper to do as it detracts from the Bride..... Light tan or cream color, however is OK. My husband recently wore a cream color sportsjacket with black shirt and slacks and cream color and black striped tie to a summer wedding we recently attended and my outfit was pretty much the same color combination...

joyful joyful
Jul '14

I was going to look for white/off white dress capris. Maybe not now. Lol. I would think a white dress is inappropriate to wear, IF the bride is wearing white. Quite a few dont.

Jul '14

I agree that black dress pants should be fine attire for an August wedding. You may in fact be the most comfortable female in attendance (chub rub: woof) However, you'll want to make sure they're loose and flowing.
What will make the outfit more (or less) appropriate is how you finish the outfit. What type of blouse are you considering? You are going to want something very dressy. Something beaded or with jeweled accents will look more formal (and will help negate the need for jewelry). Or something that is one-shouldered, or a low cut back to it will dress it up and make it look a little more modern.
Basically, you want to look in the mirror and make sure you look like you're NOT headed to the office.

Shoes: Heels would be best, even if it's a kitten heel. Flats with pants tend to look a little too casual. Depending on what you go with for the top, you can opt for something jeweled to dress it up.

Some advise about color: Black and white is a classic combination, always crisp. And if you're balancing the white with the black, no one should say anything about a white top. However, have fun! If you opt for a white top, go with some really fun pops of color for your jewelry and/or shoes! But also look for some other colored blouses: Cobalt blue is huge right now, but emerald green, teal, orchid, or pinks will also help you feel less "boring."
Colors to avoid: All white, as it is rude. Even if the bride is wearing a different color. Red, because it's such an attention-grabbing color. Or if you know what color the bridal party is wearing, avoid that color too.

Lastly, have a great time celebrating!

That was a little more than just "two cents," but I work as a wedding planner and coordinator and see a lot of different great (and not-so-great) fashion choices for these events.

BornNRaised BornNRaised
Jul '14

Good Advice...BornNRaised...I too am a Certified Bridal Consultant through attending classes at Hallmark Training School in Kansas City...Also was in the Fashion industry for most of my life...I am glad you mentioned the color "red" as a No-No as well...That color is great at most events but very distracting at a wedding....

joyful joyful
Jul '14

Thanks BornNRaised and Joyful. I found beige capris and my top is olive green with adornments on front, near neck, so no jewelry.
One less headache. Lol. Now have to find shoes. I tried on the black pants again and just not comfortable. Im NOT a dress-up person, so this is never easy or fun for me.

Jul '14

Just go and have a really fun time, botheredbyuu2....The older I get the more I find each year the trend is to more casual wear than the glitzy, dressy clothing that I so loved. I have a closet full of really dressy formalwear and gowns that are just going to waste as no one wears them anymore except to the opera or a really formal event. Times change and things change so nothing is really set in stone anymore...

joyful joyful
Jul '14

bbu- Glad you went with capris rather than slacks...from what I can remember you have a great set of gams and you should show them off! Lol!

I hope I didn't embarrass you, but I speak the truth. :)

positive positive
Jul '14

Lol, thanks positive. Since I quit smoking 9 years ago, have put on the pounds. Trying hard to get rid of them, but its not easy.

Jul '14

Some of us have "Betty Davis eyes"....but according to positive...it looks like botheredbyuu2 has "Betty Grable legs!"

joyful joyful
Jul '14

bothered - The outfit you picked sounds perfect. Have a great time!

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '14

Thanks Calico!

Joyful-positive is talking about "many moons ago". Lol!
If only we can go back in time. Thanks for all your "professional" advice. Appreciate it. ;)

Jul '14

Lol live this thread! I got married in a black gown last year... So a lot of guests wore white! It's situational haha!

CrazyDogLadyyy CrazyDogLadyyy
Jul '14

^oops! *love this thread

CrazyDogLadyyy CrazyDogLadyyy
Jul '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.