Traffic light at 5 corners

What is the problem with the light on the Mountain Ave side? I come home this way on Monday nights and for the past 2 weeks the light is not changing? I sat there for 20 min tonight ~ so frustrating!!! Typically after Willow Grove St. goes, we would be next. Not happening.

it's not timed correctly - as are most lights here but it is a glaring example

Skippy Skippy
Jul '14

I went through a llittle after 5PM and it worked fine (with the typical backup down the hill).

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jul '14

that traffic light is a real nuisance... I drive around the local roads to avoid it - as, I am sure, many do - just don't really see a solution without major construction...

pmnsk pmnsk
Jul '14

Yeah, when I went through over the weekend it worked fine which made me think it was back to normal. I came through tonight around 6:00 and that side wasn't moving at all.

Probable Cause

**NEW Left Turn Arrow At Rt46 Westbound And Rt182 (Mountain Ave)**

The NJ Department Of Transportation has installed and activated a new left turn arrow at the intersection of Rt46 westbound and Rt182 (Mountain Ave). Motorists traveling west on Rt46 will now have a green left turn arrow if they’re making a left onto Rt182 southbound. There will now be a delayed green for motorists traveling east on Rt46.

NJKID1010 NJKID1010
Jul '14

Let's face it - *all motorists* have a delayed green no matter what direction they're traveling in.

While the cars on Route 46 east are delayed waiting for the left turn signal to Route 182, there should be a left turn lane and arrow for those turning from Rt. 46 east onto Willow Grove. Those waiting to make the left, as oncoming traffic clears, have to actually wait for the light to change and only then they can turn. In the meantime they are blocking the Willow Grove cars from proceeding thru the green light. By the time they can start going, their light turns yellow/red again. What is needed now is a left turn lane and arrow (that will coincide with the left turn arrow from the west onto 182) so those turning ( Rt 46 East to Willow Grove) do not block the Willow Grove cars when there light turns green. Of course, if people were more courteous and stopped to allow a car to turn ( gave people a break) the problem would solve itself.

JBJSKJ JBJSKJ
Jul '14

When the light doesn't change for a long time it is because the first car stopped at the light is back too far for the sensor to see it. This happened to my daughter a couple of months ago and the person behind her got out of there car and told her to move up and it changed. Same thing happens at the bridge construction by Happy Tails.

Jimbob Jimbob
Jul '14

JBJSKJ the problem with your suggestion is it requires widening the road to put in a left turn lane. There is just no room to do that. The only way to fix it is to give every direction their own turn at the light. Let Willow Grove go, then eastbound 46, then westbound 46, then Mountain Ave. Don't let eastbound and westbound 46 go at the same time. Then there would be no need for left turn lights.

darwin darwin
Jul '14

Now people the state has conducted very intence study at big cost to figure out who gets what light and for how long please please under stand the DOT knows bbest 8-)

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Jul '14

If I lived near little st. or on Washington I would be furious - it has become the new mountain ave.

Skippy Skippy
Jul '14

High/Grand this morning around 9:30am. They each had two turns to GO, but main/rt.46 only had one turn. What's up with that?

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Jul '14

I noticed yesterday afternoon on the Warren County First Responder site somebody called that light in for not cycling properly.

They've also set up and activated a left turn signal coming from Willow Grove which I'm afraid may add to the confusion. One morning while I was traveling from Willow Grove to Mountain Ave., a car purposefully moved into the right lane closest to the Hess station. When the light turned green, he started to make a left turn to go onto Mountain Ave., apparently thinking that the left turn arrow on the sign was meant only for those making a left onto Rt 46E and that the right lane (straight and right turn arrow for that lane) apparently meant that Mountain Ave. was straight, when it's actually for Warren Street next to the Sub Shack.

They should have put a modified sign there like they have on Grand Ave. by the Post Office that more accurately shows the "jog" to go straight.

While on Mt. Ave tonight, heading towards the 5 points, the light lasted for around a 15-20 count until I got nearer it, then I noticed that it lasted less than 10 and barely 4 cars made it through

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '14

i said this years ago, and they didn't listen to me . . .. .

if you move the soldier and claim the real estate he is sitting on, it's possible to turn 5 corners into 4 corners.

it can be done,

same thing with grand and high, if that little area where the fence is in front of the h-town mural by the old gulf station is claimed, once again, 5 corners can be engineered into 4 corners.

that also can be done.

this would improve car throughput by an order of magnitude.

why are we not doing this already?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jul '14

I agree BrotherDog, I've had similar thoughts for a while, though a suitable and honorable place would have to be found for the statue.

A large problem with that type of intersection also has to do with the length of the intersection and the fact that sections are uphill. If you've ever tried to make a left from 46E onto Willow Grove, you'll see what I mean. People are still coming through past the stop line in the westbound lane until the light turns red so by the time they've "unblocked" you from making the left turn, the people on Willow Grove already have the green light and you're blocking them, even though you were legally in the intersection far before many of the cars going west have entered the intersection.

If the uphill light turned red earlier (or at least before the eastbound side did) and they had time to clear the intersection, you'd be out of the intersection and not blocking anyone. Once people see blockages like that in front of them, they automatically seem to assume that they have a right to "push" the yellow as far as they can. The cycle there is somewhat self-perpetuating. That would likely work better than just extending the time between when one side of the intersection gets the red and the following section gets their green. Sometimes it's set to be nearly simultaneously, which only leads to accidents as people either "push" the yellow to the point of going through even after it's turned red, of they "jump" the green and start to leave in anticipation of the green light.

I was once on Mountain Ave. with the intent of following through to Willow Grove. The light had been yellow for a bit and I slowed to stop as it turned red. a Jeep behind me actually pulled around me (with the light already having turned red!!!), going into the oncoming lane and blew right through the intersection well after the light had turned red. People going west on 46 were already starting through the intersection! Yes, that was really called for - too bad I didn't get their plate number.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '14

Phil D. Message Phil D.
6 mins ago
a Jeep behind me actually pulled around me (with the light already having turned red!!!), going into the oncoming lane and blew right through the intersection well after the light had turned red.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Good observation PhilD

I was just thinking, a video presentation of events like what the 5 points is like, would be an award winner....
That intersection is a can of worms for sure.... Many a times I had been stuck in the abyss of the intersection due to mistiming of the drivers either lagging, or jumping the light signals. Scary!!!

Embryodad Embryodad
Jul '14

well, Brother, that is a great idea!

pmnsk pmnsk
Jul '14

All I know is a 20 minute errand now takes me 40 mins due to an extra light rotation? Willow Grove, Rt. 46 E and W and Mountain Ave have been backed up since the light has been changed. Try to go around and you hit construction. I used Washington St. and that was backed up. What's going to happen when school starts and more cars have to use Washington St.

Christine Christine
Jul '14

Living on Washington St has become more and more hazardous with all of the additional traffic and horrific drivers.

Sadly it will only get worse - the Town needs to make some hard decisions about some of these roads.

They (the town) can set up a camera system at the problem points, and transmit the pics to a central command point at the Police department.
Then a Traffic control person, could trigger the stop lights from their desk and control the traffic as needed. hahahahahaha

I could see that fiasco...

And Dad laughed when I asked him,"Dad, how come there aren't any real wrist radio's like Dick Tracy Wears?" ..... and he said, No son, that is just something that will never happen!" That's Hollywood Pretend!... "The day that happens, will be the day that we pick money from the trees!"

Little did he know all that is a reality, and Money Does Grow on Trees!!!
$ $ $ $ $ "It's called Marihuana!"...$ $ $ $ $

embryodad embryodad
Jul '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.