Caller ID question

On caller ID, instead of a name, you see a long set of numbers beginning with V.
Does anyone know what that is?

Dont know what it is, but get them all the time. I just dont answer.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jul '14

A particular telemarketing phone software does that. It uses a sequential number to identify each call. Later if they get a complaint about the call, they can identify which of their calling reps it was on what date and the number that was called. It does not identify the caller.

This was under the number of the so called caller. I think they are using that person's number, who probably doesn't even know it. There is someone in town with that number. This is not the first time that they have used 908 area code numbers.

the long V number represents the kind of electronic dialer the telemarketing company uses. Vdial and Megatronand are examples - it tracks each and every call - and keeps a record of it the system to monitor tms. The first 4 numbers are the date 0907 = 9/07, the next few numbers are the unix time where the autodialer is located - the rest are specific to the call

Skippy Skippy
Jul '14

PBM - yes, it is possible to falsify the Caller ID number to make it appear that they're calling from a number not associated with the actual caller, but rather with one that you may be familiar with or that may be local to you. They may be able to spoof that, but also quite likely that it's not as easy to "spoof" the "V' number that appears under the phone number you saw.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '14

they are spoofing ANI yes correct

Skippy Skippy
Jul '14

I got a strange call the other day the caller Id was saying it was me calling my self and it showed my number and it was in fact a company that wanted me to lower my creit card intress

ow conected to the ow conected to the
Jul '14

Oh that's funny ow! I haven't seen that one yet:) I get a few personal calls here and there on the landline, but for the most part the 20 plus calls per day that come through are all telemarketers.

ow conected to the , I got this same call today. I get calls all the time from telemarketers and scammers, but this is the first time it came up as my number calling myself !!

Mariann Mariann
Jul '14

yet again---- donotcall.gov to register your phone numbers and it does help - and I do report the info on the rare occasion that such a call comes through -- also nomorobot works to get rid of those calls --- ugh

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '14

I had registered more than once on the donotcall.gov. Doesn't work for me.

I've been getting calls from a local 908-852 number, the caller ID comes up as Budd Oil Co. It's a telemarketer call NOT about oil. I've called Budd Oil and told them. They are not aware of this and have never had the number that comes up. No one else has contacted them regarding this. I tried calling the number back, but the call won't go through. I've tried questioning the telemarketer, who will hang up on me. It happens regularly. I just don't answer anymore. Has anyone else experienced this?

Tanya Tanya
Jul '14

I just got that call, from myself. WTF! My name and number on my landline. CC company wanting me to lower interest rate. Never seen that before. Very strange.

Sep '14

Not strange, now very common. It reminds people what the truth about caller ID is. What you see on the screen is what ever the other end decides to put there. If the other end is a legit telephone company, you should get a legit number and name. If it's a computerized system at the other end, it will say just what ever it wants.

My husbands cell phone gets at least 12 calls a day trying to lend us money. So finally he said ok. They said they can lend us $1,000 to $5,000. Ok he said he will take $5,000. The callers are all indian accent can hardly understand them. They want our bank account so they can deposit the money. Of course my husband said no. They called again and this time he told them listen I cannot pay you back I am on disability. They said that's ok! LOL! He said listen this is obviously a scam call me again and I will call the police. they hung up and never called again. AMAZING!

Christine Christine
Sep '14

Been trying to get rid of the robo calls and telemarketers for years. I tried being nice, I tried not answering, I tried, their suggestion, to opt out of future calls...nothing works. I talked to one person, and asked kindly to please take my name off of the calling list (which legitimate companies are obliged to do). She barked at me and said, "We are going to call you until the day you die!" I was speechless. I called every gov't agency locally, state, and federal, and the bottom line is that you can't do a damn thing about it. A call back # is not available, and most likely call origination is out of country which makes it impossible to trace and prosecute. So I tried to keep tract of repeat numbers. That was a waste of time because certain scammers/telemarketers change their number for every call they make. Now every call goes through my answering machine. They won't leave a message. I still hear the phone ringing, but at least I don't get abused. So frustrating!

USAfirst USAfirst
Sep '14

GC-it may be very common now, but its the first time I got it and I find it very strange.

Sep '14

Lately I get some caller ID from myself and some just say "Neighbor" It's getting ridiculous.

Tweety Tweety
Sep '14

this really works: http://www.nomorobo.com/ and all others should be reported

5catmom 5catmom
Sep '14

Doesn't support Comcast Xfinity. Tried it and that's what it said after putting in my info.

Sep '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.