Schooley's Mountain Road construction starting 7/21/14

I know many of us go up and over Schooley's Mountain Road on a daily basis. The signs have been up for about 1-2 weeks. I found this on Washington Township's website (not sure how to get the link to work, so just cut and pasted the text - sorry if it looks funny):

On or about July 21, 2014 road construction will begin on Schooleys Mountain Road. The construction is scheduled to start at 7:00 AM and end at 4:00 PM Monday through Friday. The work zone will be from East Mill Road to the Springtown Road intersections. During the hours of construction Schooleys Mountain Road will be reduced to one lane of travel of alternating traffic. At the conclusion of the workday the roadway will be re-opened to both lanes of travel. The project will consist of milling and resurfacing, which is scheduled to last three weeks. Motorists should plan an alternate route and expect a large amount of congestion in these areas. The project is being completed by Tilcon New York, Inc 625 Mt. Hope RoadWharton, NJ07885, under the direction of Morris County Department of Planning & Public Works Division of Engineering & Transportations.

MO Htown MO Htown
Jul '14

Oh NO ... MILLING????

IMO ....That operation is a health hazard !!
All that grinding and scoring with that big wheel, and dust flying all over.
Keep the windows closed and use the A/C people in the area.

All the brake dust and Asbestos that is entrapped in the old black top on the road, gets flying and air born.!!. ..... And I'll be willing to Bet...The workers and various people involved with the milling, will not even be wearing masks to filter out that poisonous dust.

Then we all wonder, WHY do we get cancer and mesothelioma. ? ?
That milling operation is a can of worms waiting to be opened!

I'll guarantee the EPA or OSHA won't even have an inspector on site!

embryodad embryodad
Jul '14

detour was up late this afternoon - couldn't go all the way from Long Valley to Htown without spending time on Rock Road

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '14

I think this afternoons detour was due to the car versus pole accident earlier today somewhere between Pleasant Grove and Springtown.

Grascal
Jul '14

That detour was because of a accident on Schooleys mtn rd.

springlover springlover
Jul '14

7:00 am is prime commuter time - I'm surprised they are beginning so early.

Ah yes, Tilcon. Perhaps since it's a much smaller job than the HUGE mess they made of the Route 206 project, maybe they will actually finish it sometime within the time they're supposed to and somewhat near budget. The Rt. 206 project is far overtime and overbudget, but of course there's still a bottleneck where the road goes from 2 lanes each way down to one just after the Waterloo Road intersection, then opens back up to two at the Lackawanna intersection. Of course part of that bottleneck has to be laid at the feet of the designers and Byram Town Council, I'm sure.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '14

About time! That area near James Trail is a mess.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jul '14

I drove through around 7:30am. They must really be getting started today. There were 2 cop cars and a bunch of work vehicles in that old restaurant diagonal from the police station. Good luck with everyone's commutes!

MO H'town MO H'town
Jul '14

They are repairing the catch basins before they start ripping up the road

springlover springlover
Jul '14

Yes, no problems yesterday. The main repairs hadnt started yet.

Jul '14

Any updates on road closures? This morning. Thanks for info.

A good day
Jul '14

It is bad this morning. Yesterday it only added about an extra 4-5 minutes. Today, in 10+ minutes so far we haven't even made it from Camp Washington to the first "S" curve.

MO H'town MO H'town
Jul '14

Huh. I made it over and to Bedminster today no problems, just a little backup. They were working near the Lutheran Church at the bottom of the hill and a lane wasn't even closed.

Aquarius Aquarius
Jul '14

Phil D... any issues with the Route 206 design should be laid at the feet of NJDOT. Their road, their design. Byram Town Council is lucky if DOT let them see a copy of the plans ahead of time, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Jul '14

Not exactly Ian,

the old town council did everything they could to try to block the road project over quite a few years. Some members were trying to get the plans modified because they'd tried to have that section designated as a "town center", with a boulevard style center (tree plantings in a median) and one lane in each direction. They also wanted to have carriage rides to Waterloo Village from there as well.

The Council spent so much time fighting this that I'm sure they really ticked off some folks at the DOT, so yes, it goes to NJDOT in the long run. If the council hadn't been so pig-headed in first fighting the expansion (obviously they never had to deal with the severe backups and thought it would all "go away" or that by fighting the expansion, the traffic would take care of itself or somehow go away on its own), then try to block it with "wetlands excuses" and "Town Center" BS, the project could have been started years ago, just as it had been planned to.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '14

How's the traffic been not during rush hours? I'm planning to hit the LV Green Market today, but worry about the traffic.

btownguy btownguy
Jul '14

Up-date on the project. I found this on Long Valley Patch. Again, I couldn't get the to"hyperlink" (sorry, not a techy-type person) so this is the text cut and pasted from the article by Jason Koestenblatt titled "Schooley’s Mountain Road to Shut Completely for Paving Project".

A schedule change to arrange for better blacktop will have residents seeing red at the end of the month.

Washington Township Police announced Friday that Tilcon, the company milling and paving Schooley’s Mountain Road from its southern end up to the intersection with Springtown Road, will need the roadway shut completely from Wednesday, July 30 through Friday, Aug. 1 and again from Monday, Aug. 4 through Wednesday, Aug. 6.

The first three-day closure will be to mill the road and the second closure will be to pave and lay down new asphalt, Lt. Doug Compton said. Depending on the work area, traffic will either be detoured off Schooley’s Mountain Road onto Camp Washington Road or Fairview Avenue.

Officers will be stationed at each detour intersection to assist with traffic, Compton said.

Work will take place between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. during those days.

Morris County, which owns the roadway and puts paving projects in place, has said the other side of the mountain will be milled and paved later in the summer.

MO Htown MO Htown
Jul '14

Ah yes, the other side of the mountain, the side which I need to go up or down to avoid the wrangle with traffic to get to my job on Newburgh, since the bridge is out of service. So at what point exactly will that milling and paving stop? Before or after the Newburgh entrance, I wonder. I guess the good thing is that if milling/paving stops above Newburgh, I won't have to worry about all that cross traffic getting to and from work, but then there will be people that will be going up Schooley's Mt. Road expecting to get through that will be turning around there when they find out that it IS truly closed.

Wonderful, just wonderful. I like progress, especially when it means roads that are smoother and safer to travel, but to have so many projects in the works in all directions on my route(s) to and from work is just incredibly annoying and difficult!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '14

Road was closed yesterday and horrible detour all the way to Naughright Rd.

Anyone know if the road is still closed today?

mom of one mom of one
Aug '14

Road is open today. The only thing is that there may be some delays for line painting.

awesome! thank you Suz!

mom of one mom of one
Aug '14

Saw Zellars Rd was getting ready to be paved last week. Does anyone know if its done? Have to head that way.

Aug '14

Zellers has been chipped sealed, no asphalt. It's open but still dusty and stones kickup in places.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Aug '14

Anyone know how the traffic is coming down off the mountain into hackettstown?

Did I see a sign stating the stretch in front of Hastings will be redone early Sept?

Grascal
Aug '14

Yea from Newburg down to mtn ave

townie14 townie14
Aug '14

Hahahahaha

" WashingtonTwp Schooley's Mtn Rd between county line & Newburgh Rd may be limited to one-lane @ times 8/19 & 8/20 for drainage work http://t.co/DLY7KyI22T ".

So nice of them to post this around 6pm the night before the fact! If you check out the Nixle alert on it, you find that Schooley's Mt. Rd. will be closed for milling and paving starting Aug. 27th when the Rt. 46 bridge replacement is to be "finished":

http://local.nixle.com/alert/5252378/

WTMFH - ROTFLOL - NOT! Please excuse my "French", but it's been a very annoying summer with the many detours.

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '14

Why why why is this being done NOW, while the bridge on Newburgh is closed??? All the cars who are forced to go down Schooley's to get around the bridge replacement will now be forced to try to navigate yet another construction project. Doesn't anyone at the county or state DOT level have any brains????????

JerryG JerryG
Aug '14

Went Zellars yesterday. Still loose gravel from Pleasant Grove to Middle Valley. Strange there are NO signs about when it will be done.

Aug '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.