2014-15 Local Corn

Donaldson said they plan to start selling their corn July 10.

Thanks!

Nice! Are they the ones with the pickup truck on 517?

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '14

A lot of corn fields I drive by in the morning, the corn isn't more than knee-high. Of course, that's probably feed corn and not sweet corn.

ianimal ianimal
Jul '14

Most of the corn you see in fields is feed corn, ian.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '14

The trucks on 517 are Kucharski. They had the most incredible corn ever last year. But usually that's right after the very first round harvested.

Kucharski's is the best IMO. They have a truck on 31 in Hampton as well as the one on 517.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '14

Thanks. I love their corn. It's the best around, IMO. I go out of my way to get it.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '14

Just saw on Facebook that tranquility farms has jersey corn.

Cherie Cherie
Jul '14

Wait, Donaldson's isn't selling until July 10? Then whose corn were they selling a few weeks ago? It wasn't that good (granted it was early) but still, they had corn.

btownguy btownguy
Jul '14

Probably farms in South Jersey? Their crops usually come in first, IIRC.

ianimal ianimal
Jul '14

Sometimes you can tell by the kernels.

Corn meant to ship and have long shelf life often have kernels that are very tightly packed so they don't "break down" as fast giving the longer shelf life but not as sugary. In the winter, check out the 4-pack blister pack that SR sells and you can see how tight the kernels are.

The better corn is not tightly packed and have a much shorter shelf life and are much sweeter. Eat em quick or the sugar converts to starch on the cob.

South Jersey corn is probably the later but Carolina and south often use the more shippable types.

From Jung seeds: "Sweet CornNormal Sugar or SU varieties are essentially old-fashioned corn varieties that have limited shelf life. You have to pick them and eat them right away or their sugar will be converted to starch. (Note that freezing stops the conversion process, so freezing right after picking will prevent sugar loss). They offer traditional corn flavor, but the old saying about having the water boiling before you pick the corn is quite apt when growing SU sweet corn. View our selection of Normal Sweet Corn Seeds.

Sugary Enhanced or SE and SE+ hybrids have a gene that slows down the conversion of sugar to starch. SE+ is a touch sweeter and more tender than a straight SE corn. SE varieties are reliably sweet and the kernels stay very tender until quite mature. They have a 'cornier' flavor than SH2 types and the kernels tend to be more tender and creamy than SH2 types. View our selection of Sugary Sweet Corn Seeds.

Supersweet or SH2 corn is bred to have the longest shelf life possible. They have a 'shrunken' gene that enhances sweetness and produces kernels that are crisp and juicy. Holding qualities are excellent, up to 10 days longer than normal hybrids. View our selection of Supersweet Sweet Corn Seeds.

Synergistic hybrids are a combination of approximately 25% Supersweet and 75% Sugary Enhanced, so you get the benefit of long shelf life plus the flavor and tenderness of Sugary Enhanced. View our selection of Synergistic Hybrid Sweet Corn Seeds. "

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Jul '14

btownguy - Corn sold a month ago was from Florida. They always get that so they have something to sell early. This past week and up to the 10th it may well be from south Jersey as that's started to come in recently.

I asked them this question on Friday night. The Florida corn is what they are selling right now. Their South Jersey corn will not be available until around July 10th. They start their South Jersey corn earlier because of weather is warmer down there. I did not buy the Florida corn as it usually is not the best. Their greenhouse Jersey Tomatoes are good. As is their strawberries this year.

Christine Christine
Jul '14

Donaldson's has pick your own raspberries now. Strawberries can be picked through the weekend.

On Friday, July 4th the Farm Market will be closing at 4:00pm.

Regular Picking Hours: Monday - Saturday 8:00am-6:00P.M./Sunday 8:00am -5:00pm

Containers and flats available for purchase or you can bring your own.

I only buy real yellow corn. Dose anyone know where to get it around here? I get it once or twice early in shoprite. I asked and they said only the first from Florida is Yellow because no one from around here grows it. That white stuff dont even taste like corn.

Old Gent Old Gent
Jul '14

?? old gent ---- the local corn is fabulous -----yellow will be available as well as bi-color - which is my favorite ----it's just not time yet ---the stuff now available was not just picked - and had to be shipped ---corn is at its best the day it's picked ---and that's what we get here mid summer on

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '14

Kucharsky's began selling corn last weekend, usual 517 location. Just picked up 15 for $7, completely tender bi color fresh as it comes. Not the really sweet kind, but great tasting. Would be great for those folks that don't want the pure white.

Old Gent, I thought I was all alone not liking the white corn at all. I like the yellow best and then the bi color. Just bought some bi color on Water Street today. It was very good. There's a little pull off near where the Kash Farm stand used to be. The farm stand is still there but hasn't been open in years.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Aug '14

Thursday I picked up 7 bi-color ears for $3.50 at Kucharsky's on Rte 517. This will be my go-to-place from now on. Previously I bought from Donaldson's and then Best's but the price is right and it tastes fresh! The others are good, too. I think it's wonderful that we have so much fresh produce to choose from.

Chickadee Chickadee
Aug '14

Where on 517? I am in Washington Warren.County I see Callico said Hampton. Where?

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

Old Gent - On 517 it's a u shaped driveway near the Courter law office on the other side of the street. There are always huge "Sweet Corn" signs up.

Greenway has the best sweet corn!!! tomatoes, cukes, and just picked veggies!

flowerpwr flowerpwr
Aug '14

Re: 2014-15 Local Corn

There is a vegetable stand on Cat Swamp road selling corn also.

Hugh
Aug '14

Old Gent, if you are in Washington, try Wolfs farm on 57. Their corn is excellent.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '14

Every time I pass Wolfs the big sign says Sweet Corn. I am looking for Yellow corn.

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

Some yellow corn is "sweet corn". The Kucharsky's current corn is bi color and probably less sweet than some yellow corn. Definitely not like white at all.

GC, I map quested Kucharskys. Believe it or not, I have been out here for over 10 years and never had any reason to be out that way on 517 .

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

I just got 6 ears for $1.99 and it was a mixture of bi color and white corn. The Bi color was more flavorful than the white. This was at the Shop Rite in Washington.

mansfield mama mansfield mama
Aug '14

Wolf's sells Donaldson's corn. And "sweet corn" just means the kind of corn you eat off the cob. Could be yellow, white or bi-color. Actually makes very little difference.

Aquarius Aquarius
Aug '14

Very interesting Aquarius. I never heard that before..

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

think Donaldson's tastier and sweeter than that off the 517 truck

5catmom 5catmom
Aug '14

Had some from Rt 517 truck this weekend.

Some ears had insect damage. Wish I could select my own as you do not know what you are getting until you are home.

Has anyone ever returned insect damaged corn?

citizen
Aug '14

Citizen

Try the stand at the entrance to Kucharsky's Farm on Water St in Independence. It's self serve so you can take your time and pick the best ones!

Also, the vegetable stand that Hugh mention above on Catswamp Road is called Martin Farm:

Martin Farm

45 Cat Swamp Road, Independence
Directions: Route 517 to Cat Swamp Road, 1.8 mi. to the big red barn
Email: martinlands@gmail.com
Open: 2nd week in July to end of September, Wednesdays & weekends
Roadside Market: Sweet corn; tomatoes (retail & wholesale); squash; beets; beans; eggplant
Also Available: Corn stalks & hay in the fall

I got 10 ears of yellow corn in my Godlewsky's veggie box last week. Hubby grilled some up and they were so good.

jrsemom jrsemom
Aug '14

Things I learned about corn, thanks to Aquarius

White corn is the more common variety and is, technically, the original as other-colored corn are mutations from the white ‘parent.’
Yellow corn is very similar to white corn. Yellow corn is actually an evolutionary off-shoot of white corn. As corn was further cultivated, research and scientific development produced different varieties from the original species. One of the mutations from the inherent recessive gene of corn is the inclusion of carotenoids within the corn’s composition. These carotenoids include beta-carotene. Because of this, yellow corn can be considered as having more nutritional value than the white corn counterparts. According to experts, some varieties of yellow corn have more lutein and have Vitamin A, which white corn does not. Yellow corn is also not particularly liked in certain areas of the world, such as parts of Latin America and the continent of Africa.

Read more: Difference Between White and Yellow Corn | Difference Between | White vs Yellow Corn http://www.differencebetween.net/object/comparisons-of-food-items/difference-between-white-and-yellow-corn.

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

I get it off the truck too...I would go to Donaldsons for a lot more stuff but every time i go the prices knock me out and i leave empty handed.

jaemae jaemae
Aug '14

If you want to pick your own ears off the truck, you can do that too. I think they figure most people like that they will pack it up for you as a courtesy. That and they hope fo get an odd dollar or two tip on account of bagging for you. But they also understand completely if you want to do it yourself.

I don't know that I've had one that's had so much insect damage because it's so fresh. But if I did, I can't imagine them not gladly swapping an ear or two when they're selling a truck load at a time.

Finally made the trip up 517 today and had corn from Kucharsky's tonight for dinner. Just as good if not better than last year.

joyful joyful
Aug '14

Kucharsky's corn is maybe a step above cow corn. Yuk!

Try the corn from ort farms down schooleys mountain, better than Donaldson :)

htownmamaj htownmamaj
Aug '14

Old Gent - If you didn't get any of the original round of Kucharsky's, sorry it's all gone. It's now the white, really tender kind, which is even better than the first round. However it's not what you're looking for.

I got corn a week ago from the truck on rt 517 - white corn, very good.

The corn was priced .60 per ear, 7 for $3.50 - I got 8 ears, and the kid insisted on charging me $4.80 - 8 ears at 60 cents each.

I told him it should be $4.10 - 7 for 3.50 plus one at .60 and he insisted it wasn't priced that way since I was buying 8.

It was only 70 cents...but come on, really???????

JerryG JerryG
Aug '14

I never had time to get up that way. GC. My brother was in the hospital and I was down his house for a while. There are no farms in Elizabeth,

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

Had the corn from rt 517 the other night - soooooooooooooo good - white corn - the best yet this year!

We had white corn from Donaldson's last week (our first local corn of the season) and it was absolutely delicious. Can't wait to get some more.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '14

How is the corn at Martin Farm on Catswamp Rd?? I passed by early Saturday morning on my way home from work and they were just setting up their stand. They have corn that looks to be just about ready in the fields on either side of Catswamp road. You never really hear about them and always seem to fly under the radar when it comes to locally grown corn for some reason.

Right now Washington ShopRite has Tranquility farms corn. I picked up a few ears this morning.The ears are huge and are selling for 6 for $1.99.

from
Aug '14

Re: 2014-15 Local Corn

Tranquillity Farms corn.I had some with dinner tonight. It is the best corn I have had this year. The best.

from
Aug '14

We had bi-color from Greenway last night. It was okay. Not great.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '14

FYI......Bohacz Farm was out there yesterday evening with a stand set up selling corn in front of their field at the corner of Catswamp Rd and Rt 517 in Allamuchy:

Bohacz Farm
Rt. 517 & Cat Swamp Rd., Allamuchy
Directions: Rt. 80 Exit 19 to Rt. 517 S, or Rt. 46 to Hackettstown, Rt. 517 N past M & M Candy Factory
Open: In Season, 10 AM - Dusk
Roadside Market: White Sweet Corn (Silver Queen), Tomatoes, Squash, Eggplant, Pumpkins
Also Available: Corn Stalks

I thought the corn served up by the Oxford Fire Dept last Sunday during the town's community day was pretty darn good! Unfortunately I forgot to ask where they got it from!!

I got 15 ears from the Kucharski's truck on Rt. 31 in Hampton last week to take to my father down in Ocean County. He called me yesterday to tell me that it was the most unbelievable corn yet! He passed a few out to his neighbors and they agreed.

I haven't had any corn yet this year. I might treat myself this weekend.

Vic - I will find out where the firehouse got the corn.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

calico -
do you know if Kucharski sells corn in Hackettstown?

happiest girl
Aug '14

happiest girl, he sells on 517 just north of M&M's but before Matters.

JD4020 JD4020
Aug '14

happiest - Just outside of Hackettstown, it's the same farm that has the truck on 517 on the Allamuchy/Independence border. I used to live right near there and loved getting corn from their truck. I was so happy, after moving to Oxford, to find out they also had a truck on 31.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

Vic - The corn at the firehouse was from Donaldson's.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

Thanks -- I saw another roadstand just past Kucharski -- Bohacz. Anyone try theirs?
Their sign says pesticide free.

happiest girl
Aug '14

Good to know Calico! Thanks for the followup!

I LOVE bi color corn way more than white, people think I'm nuts. Melicks in Oldwick has great corn (and the best peaches I have ever had) and if you're in the freehold area, Battleview Orchard's corn is really good. When it's just picked, you don't even have to cook it.

Smack Smack
Aug '14

FYI. Today, July 29, 2015, is the first day Sweet Corn from Kucharski Farm is for sale on Route 517 just North of M&M's.

Chickadee mobile Chickadee mobile
Jul '15

I've had wonderful bi-color from Donaldsons and had spectacular bi-color from Tranquility Farm today..........................mmmmmmmmmm

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '15

Did anyone notice if Bohacz on 517 is open yet?

hapiest girl
Jul '15

I haven't seen any corn for sale along 517 yet-

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '15

I'm amazed at all the raves about the corn from that truck on 517. I used to live about a half mile from it and thought it was cow corn not fit for human consumption. Always loved Donaldson's though. To each his own.

i noticed the sign is up

Bought some corn from Weis the other day which was from Tranquility - bi-color, crunchy and the best corn I have had in a long time.

Mrs. Resident Mrs. Resident
Jul '15

Bought wonderful corn from Best's. (tomatoes are great as well)

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Jul '15

My Best's corn was very good, a bit immature as in small kernels but I am pretty immature too so it all works. Peaches were a tad that way too, a tad to the tart side, so leaving them sit a bit. Small but really tasty.

Best tomato's are fantastic. What I can never figure is how they get them all year even after the season. Somehow the Best's have figured out where to buy really good tomatoes in the fall and winter. They are my blT source during the cold months.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jul '15

The corn truck was on 517 yesterday when we passed around 6-6:30.

Blackcat Blackcat
Jul '15

RAS - I've bought from Kucharski's more than once in the season over a few years. They have different crops and not all of them are as good. The very first corn they had last year was good, but the second round was the one that was fantastic. The third crop was mediocre.

I've heard excellent things about Best's this year from more than one person. Donaldson's last year I didn't think was nearly as good as the year before. In any case I always buy just a couple of ears to start and then get a bunch based on which is this year's winner.

GC, sometimes it's the same corn but goes from immature to perfect to mature. All the same but the first two periods are the best.

Jul '15

Sometimes for sure. But it's easy to tell it's not the same corn if you go from bi-color to white to yellow. ;-)

Nice, been waiting for the truck on 517. Melick's is very good too.

RAS, did you think it was cow corn because you tasted it?

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '15

Cornist :>)

I wonder how many of us are cornists preferring one cornicity over another?

I love all types of corn almost equally; the yellow slightly less. However my butter must be of a pure breed. Don't even try to slip me that canola for my corn :>)

Jul '15

I am like SD. The only two things I use real butter on is Corn and Mashed potatoes.

Old Gent Old Gent
Jul '15

hapiest girl,

I haven't seen Bohacz farm on the corner of Catswamp Rd and 517 out there selling yet. However Martin farm (@ Red Barn) further down Catswamp Rd on the Independence side was out there early this morning with their stand open when I drove by around 7:45AM. Not exactly sure what they had available though.

Vic -
Thanks! Do you know if Martin Farm is also pesticide free like Bohacz?

hapiest girl
Aug '15

Ha Meister that was funny!

GC, thanks for the detailed explanation - and I'm glad you took the time because maybe I will try some of that corn again. The last time I had corn from that truck had to be years ago so perhaps I will give it a try again. It is certainly a more convenient location for me than Donaldson's as I live only up the road less than a mile.

RAS - You're welcome. I'm a big corn buyer and I've learned through experience that there is a lot of variation not just one farm to the next, but even within farms. Right now that Kucharski's is bi-color corn. It's really very tender, more so than other years. But I also think it's not their best corn. When the bi-color sells out and they start having the all white corn with small kernels, that's usually the best of the best. At the moment Tranquility has all white corn with very large kernels. It's also tender but I think it's got a bit better taste at the moment. I have some from Best's but won't be eating that for another day or two.

Tranquility farms sweet corn is to die for!
You don't need to put anything on it. My kids eat it rare and love it

happymom
Aug '15

Tried Tranquility Farms white corn last weekend and Donaldson's thisss weekend. Tranquility the easy winner. Quite disappointed with Donaldson's, maybe a bit early but not that sweet as usual.

kb2755 kb2755
Aug '15

Do you have to go to Tranquility Farm to get the corn --- or do they have a road-stand somewhere?

hapiest girl
Aug '15

Hapiest girl,

Sorry I'm not sure if Martin farm is pesticide free. However, I do drive past that area frequently for the last six years and have never seen them spraying anything. If that helps any? :-)

As far as Tranquility farms I could be wrong but I think you have to visit their farm to get the corn. No roadside locations as far as I know.

I always wondered about the corn grown in the area of the Pequest Fish Hatchery. There is no visible farm in that area. Does anyone know who grows it and is it used for human consumption or for livestock feed? It's grown in vast areas along Pequest Rd near the Warren Haven nursing home as well as across from the Hatchery exit onto Rt46.

I thought tranquility was after the Rt80 hill on 517 on the right. Had theirs, was excellent.

Aug '15

The Tranquility farm stand is located at the farm, just before you get to Pub 517. They have some rocking hot peppers at the moment too.

The last few times we had corn we got them from Tranquility. The first time was from Weis. They had a sign on their corn that said it was from Tranquility. It was excellent. This past weekend we went to Tranquility and bought some. Again, it was very good. We tried cooking the corn in the pressure cooker. Everyone loved it. Took 8 minutes.

Mr. Resident Mr. Resident
Aug '15

We had Donaldson's white corn tonight and it was good. I found one ear better than another though. Haven't tried much local corn this year yet. Want to try Tranquility based on reading the praise here.

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
Aug '15

Stopped for the corn being sold on Rt 517 from a truck while returning to Hackettstown from Rt 80.

It was "terrible" Starchy, tough, and had to cut half the end off as it was bad corn. I will Never Never stop there again.

Donaldson's corn is the best. Wished I taken the time to go to that side of town.

Bernie Bernie
Aug '15

Our corn ratings to date are.
1-Rt.517 truck
2-Tranquility Farms
3-Shop-Rite
4-Donaldson
We find it better to shuck our corn at the location thus eliminating bad ears of corn.

The Man The Man
Aug '15

just had my first corn of the year - from rt 517....A+

JRN - Has Kucharski's switched to the white corn yet, or is it still bi-color??

Had Best's bi-color Sunday night, very good.

kb2755 kb2755
Aug '15

GC,

Early this past Monday morning 7:30AM I saw Kucharski's harvesting from their same back fields (behind the houses on Water St). Based on that it's still probably the bi-color. Just guessing though.

I see across Water St Kash's Farm growing corn. Do they sell anything to the public? I have never seen a roadside stand of their's selling anything.

it was white corn - i had three ears - OMG!!

Vic - I think Kash's only sells to businesses and restaurants. I know they used to supply Friendly's with their fresh produce (they still may).

Htown Resident Htown Resident
Aug '15

jrn - Thanks. That's what I've been waiting to hear.

White corn from Kucharski's umbrella on Water Street on Sunday. Got it at the end of the day, it was very good but Kucharski could use a bigger sun shade. Or get it early.

Aug '15

Just got my Kucharski's on 517. All white - this is what I've been waiting for!!!

I saw Bohacz Farm had their stand set up yesterday at the corner of 517 and Catswamp Rd selling corn.

I feel like we haven't gotten any knock your socks off good corn yet this season. We had some decent white corn from Kucharski's last week, but it was after what I heard was a really good crop before that. The week before we got very mediocre bi-color from Donaldson's, and better bi-color from Weis.

What have people enjoyed this week?

Tracy Tracy
Aug '15

Thanks, Vic.
I'm heading there today!

hapiest girl
Aug '15

Delicious bi from Best's. Also, great tasting heirloom tomatoes.

justwondering justwondering
Aug '15

Lentini's on Route 94 and Tranquility are the best around!!!

partyplanning partyplanning
Aug '15

The Kucharski corn from the 517 truck has been delicious this year! And the girls and fellow he has working the stand, especially the red head with freckles are so pleasant and friendly.They all seem to be having fun and enjoying themselves. I'll be stopping by again Monday for some more corn and smiles.

Corn lover for l8fe Corn lover for l8fe
Aug '15

I've had great corn from the truck, Donaldsons and Tranquility farm....we are so damn lucky

5catmom 5catmom
Aug '15

I had really good corn from Best's once, the other 2 times, not so much. I finally got some from Donaldson's the other night and it was delicious. 5catmom, you are correct, we are so lucky. My sister lives in Hoboken and went to a farmers market by her a few weeks ago and they were selling fresh corn for $1.65 an ear. Now I really do appreciate what we have here. By the way, Best's Heirloom tomatoes are amazing and very reasonably priced. I love that you can pick an assortment of cherry type tomatoes by the pound. The yellow ones with the red stripes on them are very good. Hoping I can still get them tomorrow. Also, I've bought "seconds" on the heirlooms at Best and they were just as delicious as the full price ones. Finally, Best's peaches are fantastic, will be very sorry to see that season end. On the bright side, apple season is coming.

Bessie Bessie
Aug '15

I've had corn from the farm stand on 57, next to Licon. Give that a try. $6.00 a dozen. just put the money in the box. They use the honor system. They have other great produce too. :)

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Aug '15

Bohacz has pesticide-free corn.
That is a plus for me!!
Bi-color --- the ears and kernels are larger than other farms -- ---- but still tasty and sweet.
They have no irrigation system and rely on nature's rain only --- so truly a natural ear of corn.

hapiest girl
Aug '15

We had Best's last night. Hardly anything left when I picked it up and could tell the ears were on the scrawny side. They were. Long and skinny and the worst tasting corn we've had all season.

Does anyone know if Godlewsky's has a farm stand for their corn?

Tracy Tracy
Aug '15

Tracy - No, they sell through their CSA program or at either the Blairstown or St Mary's farmers markets.

wonderful corn still on the cart on 517 - I looked at Best's corn and left it there.........

5catmom 5catmom
Aug '15

I should have done the same, 5catmom.

Thanks, GC.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '15

We got the best corn so far this summer at Vienna Hill Farm (top of the hill on 46), both yellow and bi-color.

Ydnew Ydnew
Aug '15

Best corn around by far is kucharski! I've worked for this man for 3 years and have had other corn. Nothing compares to his corn! This week's corn especially is the bomb!

lamb5
Sep '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.