Mail

I've only been getting mail only once or twice a week lately. I haven't even been getting the supermarket flyers. Am I the only one?

JB0103 JB0103
May '14

Call your post office. They should know about it.

copygirl copygirl
May '14

You can head over to the Post Office and grab the flyers from the barrel in the lobby if you are looking for them.

Firefly Firefly
May '14

I get mail everyday, however some of it is my next door neighbors or the house with the same number as mine on a different street.
..."Neither snow nor rain"....nope, sometimes not then either

graignettles graignettles
May '14

Usually once or twice a week we get none.

Sport
May '14

Occasionally I'll get a neighbor's mail and will take it over to their house. Other times I'll get mail from another street but with the correct house number on it, so I leave those ones in the box with the flag up and write "delivered to wrong address" on it. Once however, I got mail from 6 different addresses, from both my own street and a few others. In that case I took it right down to the post office and spoke with the postmaster, who gave me their card and said that they'd make sure the driver went back over the street to check all the boxes for miss-deliveries. She also said to give her a call should it happen again.

Sometimes you just have to go to see the postmaster, especially if you're getting wrong deliveries and/or no deliveries. It looks as though the post office is lobbying Congress again to let them drop Saturday deliveries :-( While they admittedly are one of the biggest bargains around, it seems as though email has supplanted letter writing these days. Stationary stores have noticed an uptick in sales of their "fancy" writing papers, so formal writing seems to be increasing perhaps. The post office still can't make a profit and the postal union is so strong and entrenched that your postperson can do just about anything but outright steal your mail and torch it before they can be fired.

Don't get me wrong with that last statement however. Just as in the case of the police depts. U.S. wide. There are many devoted and hard working, trustworthy employees, however there are the few that range from not giving a poop about doing their job right to some being downright incompetent or are completely arrogant.

Phil D. Phil D.
May '14

I receive the wrong mail so often I filled out the online complaint form, for a couple weeks all our mail was accompanied with form letter acknowledging the mail was doubled checked by the postmaster (or whoever is in charge of the local office), the very day the extra checking ended we received wrong mail again.
I don't mind the problem all that much I just check the mail before I walk away from the box and leave wrong mail in it, I worry about my mail that does not come to me, you'd think they would realize how often they make the mistake and remedy it. I'm sure they work hard but the work is not hard to do.

roywhite roywhite
May '14

We're in Port Murray, and even though we have our own post office our mailed is sorted and delivered from the Hackettstown post office.

We have three mailboxes for three apartments, and whoever gets to their box first after a delivery frequently has to resort the mail into the proper boxes since it is intermingled. We receive mail and packages for other addresses on our street, as well as addresses on other streets (not even with the same house number). We've been told our packages were delivered when they haven't been, and based on our experiences with receiving other people's mail we suspect they've been mis-delivered to the wrong address.

We don't always receive supermarket circulars; not that we need them, but that should be a regular weekly item if the post office is doing it's job. Yesterday none of the three boxes ever received any mail. I suspect we just got skipped.

It seems the problem is with the substitute carriers; when our regular carrier is working everything seems to be okay.

We're told by the Port Murray post office that we must complain at Hackettstown and the PMPO won't even take a complaint.

JerryG JerryG
Jun '14

Im in PMurray too and forever getting the wrong mail. Im nice enough to put it in the correct mailbox, but I know when others get the wrong mail, they throw it out. So wrong.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jun '14

Postmen must sign an oath not to jeopardize the mail or leave it unattended in order to get a job as mail carrier. They can be prosecuted if they so much as dump a third class flier somewhere instead of delivering. So I don't think they can torch the mail :-)

And, their union really doesn't do much for them, they are under pressure to deliver more mail in less time with fewer carriers. Cutting heads, forcing retirements, the same pressure everywhere.

With that said though, Hackettstown has been bad for the past year or so, mis-delivered mail, no mail. And, not as important, but some of the carriers aren't in uniform, and look really sloppy. Its sad.

hktownie hktownie
Jun '14

Jerry G - Port Murray is a "sub" office from Hackettstown. So if you have a complain the Post Master in Hackettstown. They will help you. Either use a different sub for the route or retrain them.

Just Asking Just Asking
Jun '14

Agreed, hktownie. I'm in Diamond Hill, and our mail service has been unreliable (to put it nicely) for the last 2-3 years. Mail (packages) delivered late, packages marked "delivered" but actually NOT (because the postman didn't want to get out of his truck that day), yesterday our ENTIRE ROAD's mail was off by 1 house. (9 got 11's mail, 11 got 13's mail, etc.... the WHOLE ROAD.)

I have also had bad performance from NJ USPS- packages that are 2-Day Priority taking FIVE days to reach me... not because it was a weekend, because they package got to NJ in 1 day, then was driven all over the state by the inept postal service before finally being delivered, 3 days late. And yes- I can use the description "inept" because this has happened THREE TIMES IN THE PAST YEAR.

We had our local mailman delivering mail on SUNDAYS because he apparently couldn't get it done on saturdays? (this happened several times).... when I called the Hackettstown PO, they told me "no. you must be incorrect. no mail is delivered on sundays." In effect, calling me a liar.

IDK what in the hell is going on with the USPS, but their performance, at least here, has been terrible. Are all the good people with work ethics retiring, and the "entitlement/lazy generation" taking over or something? It's like the whole USPS in NJ has been on drugs the last couple of years. There's something rotten going on, they're falling apart at the seams.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jun '14

We're having the same exact issues here JeffersonRepub. Really really annoying when we've been counting on something to get delivered on a certain day.

Jane doe Jane doe
Jun '14

"2-day Priority" = "it'll get there when it gets there"

Jun '14

Never, ever pay for "overnight" or "next day" delivery. BIGGEST waste of money. Rip off scam by the PO.

Jun '14

Earlier this week I got someone else's Priority shipment of medications - took it across the street and put it in the right mailbox - that could have been a matter of life or death, quite literally. Now today, tracking shows an Express International package was delivered to me 2 hours ago - no sign of it, and tracking says signature waived? Planning on complaining , again, but how many complaints does it take for someone to lose their job? By the sounds of it everyone in the area has problems and I assume at least some are complaining. For me, this is hundreds of dollars invested in the package that is MIA.

scribbler scribbler
Jun '14

UPS is just as bad as the postal service.

Jun '14

JeffersonRepub - I also had mail delivered on Sunday twice this year!! I thought I screwed up what day it was, lol.

Sunshine Sunshine
Jun '14

Sunday deliveries are likely (or at least possibly) Amazon Prime shipments...

ianimal ianimal
Jun '14

I've had Sunday deliveries by the USPS of Amazon Prime packages.

Postal Service does have one carrier work on Sunday to deliver parcels only. Shouldn't be getting first class mail on Sunday's though. I know someone who's a mail carrier, but east of here, not in Hackettstown.

hktownie hktownie
Jun '14

You are all MISTAKEN. The PO told me "NO MAIL DELIVERIES ON SUNDAYS."

(this was before they made the official announcement about the Amazon Prime packages)

lol

Jun '14

I live in Diamond Hill as well. A few weeks ago (on a Sunday) I was on my deck and saw the mail truck stop in front of my neighbors house, sat there for a minute, then drove in front of my house and placed a package in my mail box. I went down to see what it was, sure enough it was an amazon package for my neighbors. I assume it was to big to fit in their mailbox and he didn't want to bring it to the front door so it was placed in mine instead.

My mail was regular mail the first time and regular mail plus a package from an ebay seller the second time, not amazon deliveries. We don't even have an amazon prime account. Both times we had gotten no mail on Saturday, and then they showed up on Sunday.

Sunshine Sunshine
Jun '14

Our mail delivery has been all screwed up ever since the older gentleman who delivered for all 4 years ive lived here (Greenview Gardens) left about 2 months ago. Now i get a girl not in uniform, and once in a while a guy not in uniform, and the screwups have been out of control. And the actual mail i have recieved for me has been few & far between leading me to believe it was put in someone elses mailbox. :( getting really frustrated...... Glad im not the only one..

Casey Casey
Jun '14

Don't even get me started with the USPS right now. The mail at my office is horrible when our normal mailman isn't working. Yesterday our mail was delivered to work after 5:30, when I called around 3:30 wondering where he was and could I go meet him somewhere because we close at 4 - the nastiest woman answered the phone who could give me absolutely no information. YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE NASTY, just say I'm sorry I really don't know what is going on, but DO NOT BE RUDE!

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jun '14

So, I have a package that was shipped to me 2-Day Priority... it's supposed to arrive today. I can already tell by the tracking (it was at Teterboro airport at 5:30AM today), that the chances of it actually getting delivered today is slim. tracking STILL shows delivery for today tho LOL

...it's signature required, which means the carrier will have to get out of his truck
...it's rainy today

...which means, even IF the package gets to Hackettstown PO this morning, my carrier will probably put off delivery. And won't deliver saturday either- our carrier apparently thinks packages shouldn't be delivered on saturdays, because he NEVER delivers them... even when they did get to the Hackettstown PO the DAY BEFORE; if it's saturday, it sits until monday.

It's just a matter of time before the PO goes out of business, with performance like this becoming the norm. They already can barely stay out of the red...

Jun '14

To follow up on my package - it mysteriously arrived with the regular mail about 3.30pm. I'm thinking the carrier knew that his records had to show it delivered by midday because it was express so he said it was delivered but actually sat on it until the regular mail delivery later. If I was out all day I would have been none the wiser.

scribbler scribbler
Jun '14

If people are getting regular mail delivered on Sunday when they've received nothing on Saturday, does that mean the carrier is taking undelivered mail home with him on Saturday? How could they be able to get into a closed post office on Sunday to get mail?

Unless of course, despite the Postmaster saying it's not possible, the PO is fully aware of what's going on.

JerryG JerryG
Jun '14

IDK "how" the sunday mail delivery thing is happening, I just know that it IS. I've experienced it personally. I've also seen the mail truck driving around my neighborhood on a sunday, making deliveries.

And it's been reported in this thread that not all those deliveries were for "Amazon Prime".

Jun '14

"It's just a matter of time before the PO goes out of business, with performance like this becoming the norm. They already can barely stay out of the red..."

It may be becoming the norm in 07840, but I have no complaints about the mail delivery at my place. 08865 runs a pretty tight ship.

ianimal ianimal
Jun '14

Wow, you live in Pburg, but know everything about Long Valley area. Lol thats too funny. (Sorry off topic).

Jun '14

" 08865 runs a pretty tight ship."

Yeah, it's called the Titanic.

Dear USPS, please focus on improving service for the delivery of letters and junk mail and leave the delivery of packages to FedEx and UPS.

Dear FedEx and UPS, any chance you could expand delivery to include US standard mail?

UPS always delivers packages to the wrong houses.

Jun '14

BBU - Not "always". I have usually gotten my packages delivered to the right address. I say usually because they did do a terrible job this past Christmas as many packages were either lost or late. But other than that they have been spot on.

My husband is a UPS package driver in the area and his biggest challenge is that house numbers aren't visible or don't exist period. It's not just out here either, he had the same problem when he worked out of Parsippany.

smilingbecs smilingbecs
Jun '14

Glad it's not just us. I've called the Postmaster before and he's nasty, condescending and chortled in my ear telling me my address doesn't exist.

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Jun '14

My number is clearly visible. They just dont care. BLD-we only really order at the holidays and every package was delivered to the wrong house.

Jun '14

Waiting 10 days on a check from CT. constantly get other peoples mail, have had to engage the postal inspection service on missing packages marked delivered - the mail here is atrocious

skippy skippy
Jun '14

Re: UPS Our house number is clearly visible on the front of the house. We are #209; at Christmastime we were getting packages for #213, and our packages were being delivered to #205. One evening I was waiting for a package, saw the UPS truck drive right by and stop at the next house. Sure enough, he was about to drop off our package next door until I called to him.

JerryG JerryG
Jun '14

No, I don't live in Phillipsburg, but I do reside in 08865 (which includes Alpha, Lopatcong and Pohatcong in addition to Pburg). I also lived in Hackettstown for the better part of a decade. Not sure what either one has to do with knowing the actual legal geographic limits of Long Valley... someone in Denmark with half a brain could look it up.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Jun '14

As an American who was born here but who's parents came from Denmark in 1947, I'm not sure that comment is very needed, imal. Most Danes have considerably more than 1/2 a brain. We may be very few in number but the brains work quite well.

Dansker Dansker
Jun '14

Iphone-you must crack yourself up.

Jun '14

Lol. I didn't mean to imply that Danes were inherently less intelligent than anyone else. I just wanted to pick a place far away and your wonderful country popped into my head for whatever reason. The person with half a brain could just as easily be in Azerbaijan or Zimbabwe. (No offense to any Azerbaijanis or Zimbabweans who happen to read this) (-;

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Jun '14

Or a Long Valley-ian that doesnt know they really dont live in LV ;)

Jun '14

Wow, I consider myself very lucky indeed. For many years we had a wonderful carrier, Jim Craig. When he retired, it was pretty bad for a while, but has improved greatly. My only complaint now is packages are left on my steps by the driveway, when I have an overhang by the door which would protect them from rain, snow, etc.
Although I was never a carrier, I did work in the post office at the window, and sorted the mail to the carriers and they would sort their route. In the more recent times the mail is sorted off site, so that may be the reason for late deliveries. Of course this doesn't excuse the mis-deliveries. Once in a while, it may happen, but should never continue. If I get a piece of my neighbors mail, I put it back in my box with the flag up, so the carrier knows what happened. I am Hackettstown delivery, but don't live in Hackettstown. We have a rural carrier.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Jun '14

A total of 30 seconds of effort on a phone yields the following:

"Long Valley is a census-designated place and unincorporated community located within Washington Township, in Morris County, New Jersey, United States.[7][8][9] Known as German Valley since its foundation during the colonial era, the community was renamed in response to anti-German sentiment during World War I.[10] As of the 2010 United States Census, the CDP's population was 1,879.[3]"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Valley,_NJ#/search

Consider yourself led to water... whether or not you're thirsty is not really within my control. 1,879 of the Township's 18,500 residents live in Long Valley... which means that 90% of WT's residents do NOT.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Jun '14

I understand what you are saying iphone, but when houses are listed for sale on West Springtown, Mission Rd, and others and they are listed as Long Valley, then it makes you wonder why. And those people consider themselves living in Long Valley.
(Sorry, no more hijacking).

Jun '14

Another day with no mail delivery to any of our three apartments. I was expecting a check in today's mail.

JerryG JerryG
Jun '14

I can only speak for myself, but I find the Hackettstown postmaster rather sassy

justsayin
Jun '14

LOL.... a sassy, chortling postmaster can't be a good thing.

hktownie hktownie
Jun '14

oh, that was funny;I meant sassy in a not so nice way. He isn't very nice to speak with, and I agree that he is quite condescending. I liked the Postmaster Sheldon.

justsayin
Jun '14

ok. While sitting here @ computer coincidentally reading Htown Life, I hear truck come down driveway but didn't see it was a MAIL TRUCK until it left!!! I saw this post & came here--how convenient there was a relevant one.

I also thought I was confused as to day it is--but it is Sunday!! It's 9:49 PM. My daughter retrieved her package & it is an AMAZON PRIME delivery. Soooo, YES, Htown P.O. delivers on Sundays, at least this one, and AMAZON PRIME!!

Thank you MAILPERSON!!

Not4Nuttin' Not4Nuttin'
Jun '14

I sell quite a bit of stuff on ebay, and I almost always use Priority Mail, which has always been, and says right on the label, "Priority Mail 2-Day". Well, It rarely got there in 2 days.

So today, I print a label, and I see they have changed 2 day to 3 day! Priority Mail 3-day. I guess they finally admit they can't make good on their service promises.

I notice the PRICES didn't change. I guess I should be "thankful" the prices didn't INCREASE!

USPS is becoming a joke.

Jun '14

Just went to get my mail and a box and mail were so jammed in we needed to go get a knife and saw the two corners of the box in order to remove it. Then see that the box, amazon prime order, was jammed in on top of regular mail where this mail could have been put on either side of the box. Does it take much thought? How about dropping the box by the garage or hanging it from mailbox. We had such a great mail carrier in the past but unfortunate for me, she retired. I am sure she is thrilled though.

justwondering justwondering
Jun '14

Yet another occasion where the Hackettstown PO has marked that they delivered or attempted delivery of a package where no attempt has been made. I've been home all day and have not received any mail -- so to mark the update as delivery attempted but recipient was not available is pretty annoying.

That post office is the worst.

kb2755 kb2755
Jan '15

UPS consistently leaves package in my mailbox. Isn't this illegal? I thought only USPS was allowed to use the mailboxes.

mohepinoke mohepinoke
Jan '15

USPS leaves packages on the road next to mailbox. Never even tries to bring it to the door. Someone can steal it, but they dont care. I got a 3rd notice saying a letter would be returned to sender. Never got the first 2 notices. They are TERRIBLE! And when you complain it goes in 1 ear and out the other!

Jan '15

Ups uses the post office at times to complete their deliveries. The package was probably left by the post office, not ups.

JBJSKJ JBJSKJ
Jan '15

This happened to me recently. I was home all day in the living room and when I went to get the mail around 2pm there was a notice that they tried to deliver something to me, but "I wasn't there" (even though I was). I couldn't make it to the PO the next day, but the following day same thing, received another notice saying that they tried to deliver something to me and I wasn't there..and once again I was the whole time. Frustrating because I had to go to the PO since they said if I didn't show up they would send the piece of mail back to the original owner. I had to wait 20 mins. in line bc they couldn't find a package for someone and the fact I was home both times and it claims they tried to deliver this piece of mail but no one was available. At least I am not the only one who has experienced this.

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Jan '15

@sunshinenj - that's ridiculous ! I found out by checking on the status - the notes indicated that they left a slip which they didn't ( since that would have actually meant stopping at my house). I get it - the weather was horrible but why lie? Perhaps because it was 2-day shipping they had to reflect that they attempted delivery.

Hackettstown NJ has the worst post office and mail delivery system in the universe!!! I have lived here for 15 years... and I have complained for 15 years! They can not get the mail delivered correctly ever! I always try to use any other service available, other than the U.S. Mail... Sorry Hackettstown PO, But your mail delivery service is the WORST!!!

Sick of it!!! Sick of it!!!
Jan '15

We didn't even GET our mailman today.... red flag still up, outgoing mail still in mailbox....

But I thought....

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

Jan '15

JR...You aren't in Diamond Hill by any chance are you? I did not get mail today either :-/

EG_1982 EG_1982
Jan '15

My sentiments are exactly the same as what Sick Of It!! just stated above. Maybe even with more exclamation points!!!
I have so many stories of issues with Hackettstown PO. Even one from today...
I was expecting a package from Amazon. Tracking told me that it was delivered to my front door yesterday (Sunday). No package anywhere. So I called the PO today. The woman who answered had no idea that they deliver for Amazon on Sundays. She tried to make it seem like I didn't know what I was talking about asking for a package on a Sunday. When I insisted that they do that she got someone else on the phone. The next guy tells me he will investigate the missing box and call me back. Never called. I called 5 hours later and was told he was out and would call me back. Never called.
I got home and the box was at my door....halfway opened.
(btw...with a sticke on the box that said "Sunday Delivery"!!)

I have way worse stories of missing packages by the HPO (one showed up 4 months later completely opened and ruined)...but this was just the most recent one.

fedup fedup
Jan '15

I really thought there was nothing worse than Hackettstown Post office until I moved down SC. Our mail lady is the absolute laziest person ever. If there is package that won't fit in the mailbox she will slam on horn for a few minutes to get us to come out. Well we started to ignore the horns and what did she do? Threw the damn package from the truck leaving in the middle of my road. She never closed the door on the mailbox or put the flag. So when the dog is left open my mail gets soaked.

I had several packages that need to be shipped out, I damn sure didn't attempt to fit them in the mailbox so she would have to get out of her truck.

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Jan '15

There was no mail on Tuesday because of the travel ban, how do u except to get mail when nobody was allowed to be on the road until 7:30 am, anyways mail was not processed at the plants.

tinkodinko tinkodinko
Jan '15

There is a call for the entire government to shut down because nothing would be better than what you have. And then mail doesn't come for one day and the outcry is about the worst service in the Universe?

I'd like to drop off a lot of people in a 3rd world country for a month. You get a whole new outlook on life.

Obviously some of you haven't read the whole thread... the "worst service" complaints are not based on not getting mail during the recent storm.... this is a long-ongoing issue.

Jan '15

I got mail on Tuesday. While this post was about no mail, there are a lot of issues with the HPO. I have experienced the same issues mentioned above along with many others that are too long to go into here. There is no accountability for many of the employees that work there. We are paying for a service and should expect simple things be handled efficiently and professionally. I have no problem with not getting mail due to weather conditions.

kb2755 kb2755
Jan '15

+ 1000 GC

outsider outsider
Jan '15

@tinko: The travel ban was lifted at 7:30 Tuesday morning, and I saw several Post Office trucks out delivering mail, but my carrier never showed up, and the outgoing mail in my box since Monday (with red flag up) was not picked up until today (Wednesday).

Read the entire post -- this is a long time problem with certain of the Hackettstown PO delivery routes in the Mansfield/Port Murray area. Complaints to the Hackettstown Postmaster are never acted upon. Package delivery is not attempted by the carriers, and are returned to the Post Office, with outright lies made up by the carriers to excuse their laziness.

GC, this is not a "one day problem" but has been going on FOR YEARS -- try reading the entire thread before you start criticizing people for complaining about a long-standing problem.

JerryG JerryG
Jan '15

Not getting mail with two inches of fresh snow on the ground was the last straw which made me post GC. What upsets me is the fact that I get my neighbors mail on almost a daily basis. I have also received the "we tried" notice when I was home all day. I know that third world countries do not have this luxury. Thank you for pointing that out. Meanwhile, back to America, Hacettstown NJ in particular, I pay taxes for this service. If it's failing me, I have a means to be upset. Period.

Signed,

Daughter of a former Hackettstown mailman

EG_1982 EG_1982
Jan '15

JerryG - I read the entire thread, and it doesn't change how much is taken for granted or how distorted our view of the world is. There are places in the world where mail comes once a month. Sometimes. If you live in that world, are you grateful it arrives, or angry when it doesn't? If that's what mail is like, what things become more important than mail?

Eg1982 was your father main st mailman? And it's a shame that your father never told you that the post office doesn't get a dime from your taxes, The USPS has not directly received taxpayer-dollars since the early 1980s with the exception of subsidies for costs associated with the disabled and overseas voters

And just everyone information some local banks were closed on Tuesday, And I don't think I saw either ups or fedex vehicles,

@JerryG the travel ban was lifted at 7:30 but do you ever wonder how mail work? Everything was shut down on Monday afternoon till Tuesday morning,

TinkoDinko TinkoDinko
Jan '15

Then I stand corrected. I guess he was too busy walking packages up to doors and getting the address right then filling me in or being on a public form. Weird that you know that too. Are you on my back deck right now too?

EG_1982 EG_1982
Jan '15

Mailmen are like meteorologists....they don't deliver and they still get to keep their jobs. EG...I think your mailman may be on this form ;-) watch what you say if you don't want your fragile box thrown!

And since my tax dollars do no pay for the service, let remind you that the cost of a postage stamp is $.49! Almost a buck for 2 envelopes!! No wonder everyone pays online! Also, since you've mentioned the 80's and tax payer dollars....in 1985, a stamp cost $.22. In 1863 it was $.06...not to big of an increase. Just 10 years later (1995) it was $.32 a stamp. As soon as tax payers stopped funding, the cost of stamps rose quickly. Me paying for stamps thus makes me fund the post office thus gives me my right to be upset.

EG_1982 EG_1982
Jan '15

Another Diamond Hill resident who didn't get mail because of a little snow...pathetic.
GC, what's your point? This thread is about people being torqued up that we didn't get our mail, not a narrative on perspective. We don't live in a "3rd world" (developing) country. We live in America (not rural America either) where we expect the mail to be delivered daily since it has been advertised by our federal government for decades (and we pay for this service).
Let me ask you a question - if your water supply suddenly became non potable, would you complain about it? Or would you just quietly maintain that clean potable water is a luxury and unavailable for so many in other less fortunate countries?
Just wonderin'...

Natalie Natalie
Jan '15

+1000000 Natalie!!!

EG_1982 EG_1982
Jan '15

Hey GC- try not doing your job for a day.... see where it gets you.

Jan '15

I could remember how years ago, staying with Grandma, and watching her sit in her chair by the side window, and so it faced looking up the street where the mail man (Not a Mail Truck;but a real walking MAN with a large leather bag strapped over HIS shoulder. O M G!!!!!....you would think God was coming. Especially if she was expecting a Air Mail letter from her daughter in Oregon.

If that letter Was in that mail Mans hand, she would practically hug him.
If it was nasty out, she would meet him by the front gate so that he didn't have to walk up the steps. Usually, the first area shoveled and cleaned of snow, was the walk or path to the Mail Box.

I could remember when Mom would drag us kids out of bed, and say,"Come On....Hurry Up, it snowed and the mailman will be coming. Get out there and shovel so he doesn't slip and fall on the ice / snow!" ..... OMG , we could never figure out what the heck was such a big deal to get mail.

Mail was considered a Federal Crime if it was destroyed, stolen, or left un-delivered.
As years and years went by, and as we climbed into the "Two Thousands",
it's amazing how people changed;...respect was / is lost, and a vital Job of the only way of communicating cheaply, but at the same time punctually, became a Ho Hum, Who Cares / whatever ../and it is what it is, and all because of a "Government Operated System!" ..... A whirlwind of Nobody Cares anymore, and there is no one to Grab The Bull By The Horns, and reshape a failing system of operations.

Embryodad Embryodad
Jan '15

This post reminded me that apparently I have another thing for which to be thankful.
We have great service in my town and my postman is The Best! Think I'll bake him some cookies today...

I do hope the right people/person sees these posts and does something about it,
Clearly, something needs to be done to remedy the situation.

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Jan '15

Tinko, I saw more than one letter carrier out in their vehicles going mailbox to mailbox as I traveled around the area on Tuesday. Obviously, they were able to get to the Post Office after the travel ban was lifted, sort their routes, and get out and deliver the mail. kb2755 posted above that their mail was delivered on Tuesday -- why some and not all??? This happens to us every time it snows more than an inch.

BTW, I live on Main Street in Port Murray; when I looked out the window at 7am the street was clean down to blacktop and salted. Despite the still-in-effect (for another 30 minutes) travel ban, the road was VERY driveable.

GC, this is NOT a third world country. I pay for a service, the people sending me mail and packages are paying for a service, and the Hackettstown Postmaster seems to think it's a big joke when people complain to him. Nothing has ever been done to correct these problems!!

JerryG JerryG
Jan '15

I keep thinking of the moment in "Miracle on 34th Street" when Fred Gailey argues:

"That letter, your Honor, was delivered by the United States Post Office -- an official agency of the federal government. The Post Office department is one of the largest business concerns in the world. Last year did a gross volume of over one billion dollars and this year... My point is that the Post Office department is a model of efficiency. Furthermore, the laws of this country make it a criminal offense to willfully misdirect mail or intentionally deliver it to the wrong party.
Your Honor, every one of those letters in every one of those mail sacks is addressed to Santa Claus. The Post Office delivered them. Therefore, the Post Office department recognizes Kris Kringle to be the one and only Santa Claus."

How sadly things have changed.

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Jan '15

Natalie - That was *exactly* my point. Living in America we're so "torqued up" about the mail while sitting in a house full of food and running water. We've lost sight of what's important like considering who might not have heat or water after a storm . I want reliable mail delivery too, but it's no life essential.

GC.... while I agree with that point, how many people here have RANTED PROFUSELY about "bad service" the received at a restaurant one night? They act like the government foreclosed on their home! LOL

Here's my deal with the mail.... just do your job, that's all we're asking. When I have a package being delivered, and it's NOT delivered because it won't fit in my mailbox and the carrier is too LAZY to carry it to my door (and to add insult to injury- to leave a "delivery attempted" slip in the mailbox, so I have to go pick it up at the PO), that's simply unacceptable.

It would be like asking for a full tank of gas, and the guy only fills it halfway. Then, when you complain he says "hey- what are you complaining about? Your car has gas in it, and you only paid for half a tank anyway. At least you HAVE gas, you're lucky this isn't a 3rd world country"

Jan '15

I'm just really tired of not getting my mail and getting other peoples mail. I recently got a package that should have been delivered around the corner....a completely different street!!! The address was very clear on the package. I left a note on it and it was gone the next day. Come on people, is it too much to ask that you just do what you are paid to do?? If you don't like your job then quit!

JB0103 JB0103
Jan '15

Bob , How about Art .

rapmuzik rapmuzik
Jan '15

Oh why did Art Sheldon have to retire. We miss you!! Never been the same since. Sorry.

auntiel auntiel
Jan '15

I've always gotten that wrong. Comes from calling him just Mr. Sheldon all these years.

auntiel auntiel
Jan '15

Maybe we could stop the JUNK mail and save a few trees for my kids. I literally get 5-10 lbs of this garbage every week. Also, do all these stores and other closed business`s need to have all there lights on all night. Seems to me that if someone could regulate those two things a little better it might seriously reduce some energy consumption.

samson
Jan '15

anyone who lives in the 07840 area.... the street names are used 2-3 times, ex: Karen lane, Karen street, Karen avenue.(karen is used as an example). My street name is used three times. I have given my phone number and stamps to people who share my address as well as my mail. I know I have given everyone else their mail back, but I am yet to see them return my mail. Just an FYI, if you get the wrong mail, just cross off the address on the front and write " wrong address, please re-mail" and write the correct one(if you know it) on the envelope. Put back to mail... no need to add postage.

terry page terry page
Jan '15

I am often concerned who my mail gets delivered to .....and especially where any "important" mail of mine ends up -- as I get other people's mail delivered to me on a regular basis.
This is inexcusable.
This is incompetence.

hapiest girl
Jan '15

Is it just Diamond Hill or is this happening all over Hackettstown? After reading so many "Diamond residents" who were upset, I thought it may just be the carrier. If this is happening all over Hackettstown, maybe it's the facility?

Happens in Kenwood all the time. Especially since Riverwalk opened on Rte 57. I know all the names of the people on Janes Drive, which is noNot the same as as James Court Unfortunately, none of them seem to send back mail that isn't theirs.

Dansker Dansker
Jan '15

Well it just happened again today. I got a Credit Card Bill that belongs to the person across the street from me. The mailman was still outside, across the street. I yelled out to him waving the letter. When he came back I said "this is not mine" and he said "Is it addressed right?" (what does THAT mean) I said "it has the name and the number of the house across the street."
Happened in Hackettstown.

hapiest girl
Jan '15

These kind of issues use to happen in Valleyview Woods. Lately however we have a female carrier who is very nice and loves dogs! She brought up a package rang the bekk and had me sign for it. Usually they leave a note to pick up at PO. I miss Dennis! He was the best mailman we ever had, Had him home and at my old store. NEVER had a problem~~~

Christine Christine
Jan '15

I frequently get a piece of my next door neighbor's mail mixed in with mine, I'm in Independence. My packages are always left on the porch, no tried to deliver notices in the mailbox.

Lynnada Lynnada
Jan '15

Still happening here in Independence with our mail as well... Now, when I get someone else's mail...I mark on it..."delivered to wrong address"...and drop it back in the downtown mailbox or take it inside.., This way it goes back to the post office and they can see what has happened. We used to take it to the house of the person it was really supposed to be delivered to...but sometimes that was quite a ways away from our street and only we knew we had the wrong mail delivered to us. Hate to get anyone in trouble but it is usually not junk mail that is being delivered to the wrong address.

joyful joyful
Jan '15

If everyone would do as you did, Joyful, maybe the Post Office would start taking things more seriously and could track the " root" of the problem...

Jan '15

We constantly get other peoples mail. I used to write "incorrect address" or if it was correct address but wrong name if write "return to sender, does not live here" & put it back in my box. This lasted the first 4 or five months I lived here. Then the mailman would write "try?" on the mail and refuse to take it back. It's been 2 years with 3 different mail carriers and continues to happen. If it's important (ie:homeowners insurance) I call the company and let them know to call their customer, otherwise I throw it out.... It's ridiculous

NoUseForAname NoUseForAname
Jan '15

all you individuals with this problem, should generate a petition for "consistent services" and present it to the post master ( deliver it via registered letter ) there would be no denying receipt , request a convenient time to "all " meet with postmaster .

Steven Steven
Feb '15

1) Use paperless as much as possible
2) If getting snail mail is critical, get a box at a UPS Store

iJay whay does paperless have to do with the fact that we are getting other people's mail?

NoUseForAname NoUseForAname
Feb '15

A little. The less mail you get, the less chance of intermixing. Won't stop it but should reduce it, and more importantly reduces the inverse from happening -- your mail ending up in other mailboxes...

More snow tomorrow (Monday) so I won't even bother thinking that we'll get ANY mail delivery.

"neither rain nor snow nor heat nor gloom of night..." doesn't apply if you live in Mansfield/Port Murray and get delivery out of the Hackettstown Post Office.

JerryG JerryG
Feb '15

We live on Old Vienna Hills, independence and get Vienna hills mail all the time or
our neighbors, maybe the Post Office should just deliver mail on Saturday, just weekly,
just saying , maybe less screwups

+10000 JerryG

Feb '15

happens frequently here in Hills of Independence too. I've also had packages say they were delivered when I check the tracking number, but then they don't show up for a day or two.

megan megan
Feb '15

My memory may be off on this, but didn't Port Murray have their own Post Office not too long ago...and then It had to close and Hackettstown had to take over Port Murray and Mansfield in addition to the Hackettstown Area?

Feb '15

Well, stopping at my mailbox on the way home from work was another exercise in futility. No mail delivery today in any of the three boxes for our address.

@Spring Fever, Port Murray does still have it's own Post Office, you can drop mail off there, and rent a PO Box there as well, but carrier-delivered mail is sorted at, and comes out of, the Hackettstown Post Office.

And if you're lucky, you can see the mail carrier as she writes out her "Delivery Attempted" pink notices in the parking lot when she stops before she starts out on her route.

JerryG JerryG
Feb '15

Wow!

I thought of you all just now as my mail was just delivered to my door slot, icy shoveled walkways and all. I realize now that I have taken our excellent service for granted since I have read your posts on HL. I hope Hallmark has a special card for mail delivery people.
Mine is getting an "over and above the call of duty" tip For Valentines Day!

Hoping this all works out for you. There really is a better way!

Feb '15

As a rep for a greeting card company, I did see a Christmas card for your mail carrier, but none for Valentine's Day. Time to break out the construction paper, crayons and Elmers :)

Scribbler Scribbler
Feb '15

Will do, Scribbler!

Feb '15

Of course, odds are if you made a card and sent it to our letter carrier, it'd be mis-delivered and show up two days late.

JerryG JerryG
Feb '15

My sister mailed me a envelope last Saturday. Still haven't received it. The postal system is really bad lately. Again, they left a box, tied to my mailbox, which is on the road. I call, complain and it continues to happen. Aggravating!!!

Feb '15

My neighbors mail is put in my mailbox at least twice a week. I am wondering what mail I am missing that isn't getting returned to me.

Same here, Las...We received someone elses mail again today and it looked to be a statement of some kind that might be important. We are waiting for some mail that we get every month and thus far have not received as well. Dropped the other person's mail in the downtown box marked "Delivered to wrong address" so they will know what happened.

joyful joyful
Feb '15

Sounds like we are all in the same boat.....and its sinking, FAST!

Feb '15

what ever happen to sleet,or snow the mail will still be delivered, I live in Hackettstown and it seems if it snows no mail, even if we don't have bad weather only really get mail on Wednesday's all the others days are all junk mail or magazines it's so weird I've been watching it for the past few months Wednesday is when I get my bills, and other important bill, the rest of the week junk, is it the mail man, not sorting it or what ?

Watched my mailperson have trouble with the mailbox door today, couldn't close it as she was driving away, reached out 3 times to close but gave up leaving the mail exposed to the elements. Not a big deal I guess, just a little snow got in by the time I got outside, I had no trouble with the door.
All the mail was mine, so I got that goin' for me ..

Roywhite Roywhite
Mar '15

We live in Kenwood where the houses are close together and most boxes are on the houses. The mail man we have now, drives to each house, gets out of the truck and walks up to each house. Most ridiculous thing I have ever seen!!

Mariann Mariann
Mar '15

Roy, at least your carrier made deliveries. I watched ours drive by on the main road, slow down as she approached our corner (our house is on the main road but the mailboxes are on the side street) and then keep going without even turning.

I wonder how many package deliveries were logged as "delivery attempted, customer not home" today on our route.

JerryG JerryG
Mar '15

Our mail ( Kenwood Area ) today was not delivered. I watched the mailman drive his vehicle to the first 3 homes, and he walked up to each with 4 inches of snow on the sidewalks, and their mail was delivered.

When he drove to my home, he looked at something and opened the door; Looked at the street, and hesitated, then closed the door, and then proceeded to the next home with their delivery, and the remaining few homes past mine.

The thing is.....I had my walkways cleaned, and the apron in the driveway cleared so he could access the walkway and deliver the mail. BUT!!!! Here is the clincher. The street drainage is poor because the street is heaved; and causing puddling at my driveway, so I would guess because of the water ( In The *Street ) he opted to not deliver today! .... I'm sure we will get a double batch of mail tomorrow. We always get tons of mail every day. "Not Today!"

"Gee, I wonder what happened to Wearing Boots??"

Embryodad Embryodad
Mar '15

Dear Hackettstown Post Office,
Thanks so much for saving up all of our mail every week and delivering it only on Fridays.
What very special service.
Rebecka

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '15

We get mail every day, but it's not all ours. I run around at night at least once a week putting the mis-delivered mail in my neighbor's mailboxes. And my neighbors have brought mail to me that was delivered to them. Hopefully all of it, but who knows? Some people might just toss it.

I once got piece of mail for an address 5 block away just because we both had the same first name.

Recently a personal check was mailed to us by a relative but it never arrived. I advised my relative to stop payment but she didn't. Sure enough someone cashed it. She had to close her bank account for safety and her bank is investigating. Other items that she mailed at the same time all arrived safely, so we're pretty sure the issue was with the delivery in Hackettstown.

hktownie hktownie
Jan '17

I got mail addressed to Teaneck! Only the house number matched ours.

Roywhite Roywhite
Jan '17

I had a package marked as delivered when it wasn't, so I went to the PO to try and figure out what happened. Turns out the had it held there because the shipper left off part of my address. I asked them why it was marked as delivered if it wasn't undeliverable ad addressed and I got a blank stare and a 'haveanideh' mumble. Unreal.

I urge you to log a ticket with the postal inspection service - they take this stuff very seriously - I've had success with them investigating package theft

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/contactUs/phoneus.aspx

Going to the post master does nothing

skippy skippy
Jan '17

What Skippy said - I sent something certified that hadn't arrived as expected....after many other tries, I contacted the main usps service and they did follow up several times and kept in contact with me. It seems the envelope sat in the NY post office for days and then in the Chicago po.......as I found through email alerts - once I spoke to a person and asked why it was sitting--within minutes I got an email update that it was on it's way.
I'd take all my legit complaints there.

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '17

Last year I got a postcard for a certified letter marked as "second attempt". Needless to say, I never received the first "attempt". There was a week difference on the dates listed. When I went to the post office I pointed out that I never got the first one....the response"That happens all the time." I just left smh. And they wonder why they are losing money....

laughalittlemore laughalittlemore
Jan '17

A lot of companies use a drop down menu. So... if you live on "Ridgley", for example, in a hurry, they select any "ridge" that comes up. The following all have 07840 zip codes... Ridge road, Ridgley, Ridge street, Ridge lane and Ridge Ave. I live on a street, who's name comes in many forms, from a drop down menu. Kohl's is notorious for screwing up credit card bills. I don't know if their doing this on purpose, hoping people will just pay the late fees. If this happens, and your credit gets affected, you have to fight with them, to remove it from your credit report. They will say "no", at first, as it costs them money. They will say "it's up to you, to fix it", however, if you get a supervisor, then they will do it, at their expense. Don't back down, if they try to make their mistake, your problem.
People I know, who have gotten my mail? I gave them stamps, address and phone number, if they get my mail and I pray they return it. Haven't had much luck, though. God only knows where %25 of my mail ends up. If a piece of mail, shows up, in your mailbox, that's not yours, just cross off address, leaving it legible, write on there "wrong party, please re- mail", put back in mailbox. No extra postage needed.
Thank you, to all the people, who do the right thing and return other peoples mail and packages. What comes around goes around. If the mail is screwy, let's help each other, as much as possible.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Jan '17

A few months ago we had a package scanned as delivered two houses down from ours the day prior. So I contacted my neighbors to see if they had it or possibly sent it back to the PO. They had never received it so the assumption was it had been stolen from their porch. They are super nice and they have security cameras and offered to review them. Meanwhile, we were on the phone with the Postmaster at Hackettstown PO asking A. Why was it scanned at the wrong address and B. Where was it as it was never received by either address. The PM says I have your mailman right here and he says he scanned it at xxx, but he delivered it to your porch. There was no parking for his truck in front of your address so he scanned it down the street (we live in sight distance from the PO) We asked again then where is it? We were told it must've been stolen from our porch because the mailman was standing there and saying it was walked up to our door. PM said again it was delivered and so it was obviously stolen, nothing they could do and goodbye. The package literally showed up on our front step 10 minutes later delivered right in front of me by our trusty mailman! Sooooo.. I guessed he had hunted down the thieves and retrieved our package.

weebiekins weebiekins
Jan '17

Nothing grinds my gears more than the USPS. I live in an apartment where people frequently cycle in and out, I've been here 3 years and the folks before me were kind enough NOT to change their address. I get their mail to this day, cross out the address with a big x and "return to sender" and wouldn't you know it's right back in my mailbox the very next day! This has happened countless times before I finally complained to the Postmaster. They literally don't look at anything it's truly amazing.

I live up the road from my mom, and sometimes I get packages addressed to my maiden name. Our mailman sometimes delivers it to me, sometimes delivers it to her. One day I spoke with him - explained that she is my mom, the other name is my maiden name - but in all cases the address was right. He seemed to understand. The next day he asked if he should deliver her mail to me. UGH.

10yrtownie 10yrtownie
Jan '17

thanks skippy I will try that. You're right, when I tried to reach the postmaster by phone they wouldn't take the call.

hktownie hktownie
Jan '17

Best of luck

skippy skippy
Jan '17

We live in TX, our daughter in Hackettstown NJ, she sends us mail from Hackettstown sometimes we receive but most of the time not. She sends mail from Mt. Olive, we get it. It is the same when we send to Hackettstown she does not get it. If we send to her in-laws in Mt. Olive OK. I complained to the Postal Inspectors in Washington DC they are working on the Hackettstown PO. I suggest people pile up & complain to the Postal Inspector Office and maybe just maybe something can be done to correct the situation there! Hackettstown PO suggestion put a tracking # on greeting cards & general mail!

Arthur McCrea Arthur McCrea
Jan '17

This year I did some online shopping for the Holidays. I had four boxes not delivered but received the "attempted notice". However someone was home each time and the delivery was never attempted so I had to go to the PO to pick up. I spoke to someone at the PO and seemed like she didn't believe that they never attempted the delivery. I'm paying for deliver, why am I picking up at the PO? I will be contacting the retailers and letting them know.
Same thing happened to a neighbor and she called and asked for it to be redelivered and was told they were too busy to "redeliver".

KathyKay KathyKay
Jan '17

Has anyone else had problems with receiving packages from the post office? We had an expensive electronics product coming from Amazon, USPS and Amazon tracking both said it was received at the post office Saturday but we never got it. Now it's apparently "lost".

We've had other issues with our mail, so now we're nervous about it. We moved here in late February and constantly (like, every single day) get multiple pieces of mail for the people that moved out, even though they did set up their move/forward request before they moved out. Sensitive items like financial statements, birthday cards, packages. I cross out the address, write "moved" on it, trudge back out to put it in the box, and they redeliver it to me! We also receive mail for multiple neighbors, which is scary since I assume they are getting ours too.

I've complained on the usps.com site, gone down there and complained, called several times and complained, nothing seems to help. Now I'm concerned that a valuable package was there, as testified by the usps and amazon tracking, and never made it to our house. Maybe I should check on craigslist, ebay, offerup for the product being sold in this area in 'New in box" condition.

Anyone else having problems like that lately? We lived in six different places (five different counties) in NJ and six other states (don't ask, work related) and never experienced anything like this. Post office is usually pretty reliable (but slow). Never had to complain before. Based on this thread, it's a chronic problem.

Welcome to the worst Post Office in the State of New Jersey. I could write a novel with all the issues we've experienced since living here. My only additional comment is, get use to it.

kb2755 kb2755
Jun '17

I used this to follow up on a certified piece of mail I sent and tracked..........It sat in several postal offices for days - When I called the main number and explained the problem the person I spoke to said they would look into it.........Within 5 minutes the package was on it's way.........Probably worth making complaints about the locals - fortunately I don't have a problem in Pv -- anyway try: https://www.usps.com/help/contact-us.htm

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '17

Never had a problem..everything arrived when expected.

Summer fun
Jun '17

Hackettstown is nothing compared to where my office is. The PO is an office park three towns over with two other PO's in between. If you go there, they don't even let you talk to anyone, it's all meant for business deliveries and no stamp sales or drop offs. If you want to drop off you have to go to Dover, wait in line, and then they tell you they can't help you anyway. If you want to complain you can't because they're not the right post office, and the real PO does not accept visitors. If you have to collect an item to sign for it, it's in limbo forever and then goes back to where it came from anyway.

The carriers have dropped mail with checks in it on the front landscaping and even thrown mail in the snow behind the building hoping it would go into the dumpster. Packages supposedly delivered and signed for were never attempted and the supposed signature never produced. It took the supervisors 4 years to figure out one of the carriers just never did the route on Saturdays. Parked the vehicle in a grocery store parking lot and just went AWOL for 4+ hours every Saturday.

We get mail from other offices down stairs, tenants that haven't been in the building for 15 years, and from 5 miles down the road. None of the names on the items are even close to each other, and the carrier when asked absolutely knows they moved.

Hackettstown has issues, everywhere does. But it's not as bad as the worst in the state. If there are problems with forwarding mail, it's not even our PO that handles it. That is a separate function handled at regional centers.

Crappy service because it is a government monopoly?

It's not the government monopoly people tend to think of it. I can ship with a number of carriers. FedEx is far worse locally - had 5 years worth of Rolling Rapids deliveries going to Russling Road. And when called were proud they delivered the packages on time.

No one trick pony here.

We just got the replacement for the item that was shipped into the Hackettstown Post Office and then "disappeared" this week. Thankfully, this time Amazon used FedX not USPS. The item arrived in a big box that said Bose all over it, with pictures, etc. It wasn't in a plain brown box. So it's not hard to imagine what happened. All of the tracking points to on location. If anyone lives near a postal employee and hears exquisite sound coming from their home, or sees a Bose Soundbar on sale on offerup, ebay, craigslist, or other, let me know.

I'm totally fed up with mail delivery. Every time there is a substitute mail carrier, I (and many in my area) either don't get mail, or get other people's mail. Today I got none, but my neighbor got 7 pieces of mine, and she didn't get hers. We don't know whom her mail got delivered to.
I tried to find how to register a complaint NOT with our local post office (that will do no good as we have been calling them all the time to complain and nothing is resolved) but to a higher up office. Can't find on line where to put a complaint. Does anyone know??

happiest girl
Sep '19

If you really want to go up the line...reach out to Gottheimer's office.

Route 46
Sep '19

It seems a bit extreme to bother our congresman about occasional missing mail no?

I recommend signing up for the USPS Informed Delivery service. You will see scanned images of what mail is out for delivery each day. If a particular item is not delivered, then you know there is an issue that day.

If you live in Independence Township, welcome to the club.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
Sep '19

I have have the Informed delivery service.
A card addressed to me was was posted and never came.
I reported it and heard nothing back from them.

Happiest you can contact the USPS Inspector General's Office.

Follow prompts in this link under "I Need to Find"

https://www.uspsoig.gov/uspsoig-contact

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Sep '19

The problem isn't only in Independece, it's in Great Meadows as well. One time the person delivering the mail took what was delivered and left the empty wrapper in my mail box. Serious offence. But when I called the main post office in Hackettstown to report I got no response back. The Post Master General needs to look into this branch.

Flowerlady Flowerlady
Sep '19

Don't deal with the Hackettstown Office. They are rude and never know anything at all.

The Post Master General never looks into this branch. They are protected but why ????

Have complained to him several times about this branch - Hackettstown Post Office.

Bernie Bernie
Sep '19

Flowerlady

Something like that should be reported to both the Local Postmaster's office and let them know that you're also reporting it to the Postal Inspection Service. HOWEVER, you have to have either a locked box that nobody but you or the postperson has access to, OR you had to have seen the postperson put it in your mailbox, then you picked it up from the box directly after delivery where there was no chance that anyone else could have gone through your mail and opened one that looked as though it contained something of importance or value. That is, unless you actually saw them open your mail and do that.

Unless it met those standards, then they would likely say that it would be an unprovable accusation against someone who could be a stellar letter carrier.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '19

Back when I lived in NY, there were chronic mail delivery problems, the local Congressmen...and I think even Schumer got involved. It didn't fix the problems completely, but there was definite improvement.

Route 46
Sep '19

I contacted the Hackettstown post office a few weeks ago about my mail. The problem was occasionally my mail was put in my mailbox located next to my front door, and sometimes it was left on the driveway in front of my garage door (regular mail, not a package). This went off and on for a few weeks, then, on a day I really needed a "hold mail" notice picked up from my mailbox, my mail was dropped off in front of my garage. I immediately called the Hackettstown PO and told them (can't remember who i spoke to) how frustrated I was with my mail delivery, I explained what was going on and that on that day I needed the mail picked up because I was putting it on hold while on vacation. They said they'd contact the mail carrier and have him return to my house and get my mail. The carrier returned, picked up my mail, it was not my regular carrier. All my mail was delivered on my resume day and i haven't had any problems since. Or maybe my regular carrier is back.

htwnnjresident
Sep '19

To htwnnjresident, Mail left in a driveway? Ha Ha, yeah it's a new thing with some magazine delivery, they stopped using USPS, and use a company called Frontdoordirect.

Just
Sep '19

Just - The carrier was leaving regular mail in the driveway some of it was junk mail some of it important mail. No magazine subscriptions. Good to know about frontdoordirect, I was looking at subscribing to a magazine that i want to get in print.

htwnnjresident
Sep '19

Our regular mail carrier is absolutely FANTASTIC!! He's always kind, he know my kids names...if something doesn't fit in the box ALL mail goes on the porch...if it's raining and he sees my car home he'll knock to make sure I know it's there.
When he's off or on vacation we count the days until he's back.

Same with my carrier. If I start to go out the door because I see him coming, he stops at the mailbox and hands the mail to me personally. If there is anything that doesn't fit, it goes on my doorstep with a quick ring of the doorbell in case if I'm home. He's put the doormat over top of things if rain is coming. Same of the two previous carriers too. One of them stopped me and talked to me about a car I had for sale. She was from PA and needed something for her daughter and it turned out she bought it. Before that, my carrier called everyone on the route by their last names and looked out for each and every package. I had him knock on my door once and show me I had forgotten to put a stamp on an envelope. He was jokingly saying "Mr C, you know you need a stamp on that..." ;-)

Nothing but good people ever since I've been in H-town.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.