Can you identify this wild flower?

Can you identify this wild flower?

Does anyone know what this flower is called? It closes up at night and opens in the morning. I tried searching the Internet and had no luck.

Suri
May '14

Almost looks like a wild tulip...?

ms_warren_county ms_warren_county
May '14

Maybe? It kind of looks like the Star of David and has those crazy octopus looking leaves. So bizarre.

Suri
May '14

Check out this FB group. They are always identifying flowers.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Garden-Naturally-Group/245120832263

All you have to do is post your picture and you may get some responses

ladeevee ladeevee
May '14

Is it a Morning Glory?

Is it in a boggy or wet area?

tropicalgardens tropicalgardens
May '14

It is outside my apartment. Not a morning glory because they are more vine like. I will try to post on that Facebook page. Thanks.

Suri
May '14

Neat looking flower.

So I've pulled out all my wildflower books, been online and can't figure out what this plant is...it's making me crazy!! I have 1 more source but can't check it out until tomorrow afternoon. Please post if someone identifies this plant!

kayaking kayaking
May '14

Narcissus Sun Disc,
Thank google images, searched yellow flower eight petals

helpin
May '14

The leaves aren't right though w. the narcissus. The picture has the distinct ripple effect to the leaves, but the narcissus has the traditional straight ones, at least in all the images I am finding of it on google.

ladeevee ladeevee
May '14

Seems to have the leaves of the soap plant, but the flowers aren't right.

Molly
May '14

I see you have three in a row - suggests some kind of bulb/tuber?

pmnsk pmnsk
May '14

Any chance of a picture from the side instead of from above. If it's narcissus (daffodil) then it should have a cup in the middle not just the petals around it, and it should be bent off to the side, not blooming straight up.

It definitely looks like a bulb, and not much else is in bloom at the moment, so doubtful on a wild flower. There are kinds of tulips that have that leaf, but should still have at least a bit of a stem to it. Because it looks like it might hardly have a stem, it might also be a late blooming crocus. It's the right color and size for that, but that should have come and gone by now. Maybe if it's in a area of heavy shadow.

Most tulips and crocus have basal leaves that grow uprit, not laying flat like these. Is it a monocot single vein,or dicot? Hard to tell from the pics. Good mystery!kep

kepa
May '14

I agree, it appears to be a bulb flower, and doubtful that it is wild, especially since it's in a mulched area. The wavy, basal leaves make it look like soap plant, but the flower is wrong. Are the leaves fuzzy or smooth? And how tall? The bud on the right looks like it's on the tiniest of stems. . . I hope someone is able to identify it soon - it's driving me crazy!

colette colette
May '14

I am not a gardener so I have been googling as well. The closest I came to a plant this picture looks like is a form of a crocus and they spread rapidly in poor soil...hairy stems and five fingered leaves...and low to the ground. ( a "mongrel" crocus??} ...

joyful joyful
May '14

Suri, this has ben driving me crazy!! LOL... I think that it is a "dwarf tulip" I found pictures that look very similar on a bulb sales website - scroll down to the "tulipa kolpakowskiana" looks like yours:

http://www.augisbulbs.com/catalog.php?c=65

pmnsk pmnsk
May '14

pmnsk,

You win the prize! That certainly looks like the plant!
I was going to suggest she ask the landlord for the landscapers name and
ask him/her what was planted.

happiest girl
May '14

It's close but I would like to see a side view of this 'mystery' plant to see how big the stem is. Also the stamen looks darker on the mystery plant than the tulip. I didn't get a chance to check out my other source, will do it on Friday.

kayaking kayaking
May '14

That one def looks much more like the original pic. Certainly a lead!

ladeevee ladeevee
May '14

It might also be the "vvedenskyi" species which is described as having leaves pressed to the soil -- there is a separate pic of the leaves.

happiest girl
May '14

Re: Can you identify this wild flower?

Here is a picture of Daffodils. Could this be it?

Suri
May '14

Suri - aren't those jonquils??

5catmom 5catmom
May '14

5catmom - they are double daffodils with different color tufts. I grow all of them on a picture. Jonquils are actually variety of daffodils, with much smaller flowers; they also can be double or regular.

pmnsk: I think your research was much better than mine....It sure looks like a dwarf tulip.

joyful joyful
May '14

Going back to the original description, there's something that pretty well rules out the daffodils & other narcissus - it says it opens and closes during the day. But tulips and crocus both do that.

TULIPA ALTAICA

Suri
May '14

Suri: Isn't that what pmnsk thought it was? i.e: a dwarf tulip?

joyful joyful
May '14

yep - that is

pmnsk pmnsk
May '14

At joyful- yes! I didn't get a chance to read her post. My dad told me the name so I posted it. Turns out, he got the info from here! At least the mystery is solved!

Suri
May '14

Tulip altiaca is said to produce only 3 leaves, I think it is one of the other dwarf sorcies pmnsk noted

kepa
May '14

Buttercup? They grow like weeds.

emily1 emily1
May '14

definitely not buttercup! :)

lovesnow
May '14

So I went to Well Sweep with the picture but they couldn't identify it either, picture just wan't clear enough. They said bring in a leaf, so, Suri, if you could me a leaf, I could go back to Well Sweep. Let me know.

kayaking kayaking
May '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.