Lunar Ecplise/ photo thread

Hello,

So tonight around 3-5am should be a good show.

Anyone know where I can go where there is little light pollution to get the best photo opportunity?

Thank you!

fujixt1
Apr '14

Unfortunately, I think cloud cover is going to be more of an issue. Forecast calling for clouds and showers as the night progresses.

Fields of Dreams in Independence offers fantastic open sky views - no obstructions...however I do not know what level of light polution affects the area...

honey badger honey badger
Apr '14

Its going to rain, so doubt we'll be able to see it.

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

Lame! Haha thanks for the info though.

fujixt1
Apr '14

last night (before midnight) there were only a few clouds, so you could see the moon - no eclipse - too early.
as for the light pollution - most of it come from street lights (highways, malls, towns). Here is more info:
"There are filters specifically designed to help reduce the effects of light pollution for astronomers. These often go by the name of City Light Suppression (CLS) or Anti Light Pollution (ALP) filters. These are narrow band filters that ‘tune out’ the wave lengths of light emitted by low pressure sodium street lights. These can make a significant difference when you are viewing through your telescope."
These filters are usually small in diameter and are fixed after the lens and designed for telescopes. See the picture.

If the weather had stayed the same as at 10 pm, it would have been a perfect night. The sky was clear with just a few clouds to give it some character. The moon was super bright and would have made for a great show.

Unfortunately, at 4am, the sky was dark with a downpour of rain. Too bad. I had my equipment ready to go.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '14

I set my alarm but woke up to rain. Went back to bed disappointed - would have been a spectacular event.

:(

honey badger honey badger
Apr '14

Got up to see it, but way too cloudy. It will come again in 6 months.

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

New Hampshire had the clearest sky ever but a little far

mommajoe mommajoe
Apr '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.