Rental tax for Hackettstown, NJ

What is the % for rental tax in Hackettstown, NJ? I researching fees and taxes associated with registering either an apartment or house in Hackettstown, NJ for rental income.

If advice or resources of where I can go to and find this information? Thank you!

Liz Z Liz Z
Apr '14

12.50 a year or 25.00 biannual.. Call town hall

Sweet Pea Sweet Pea
Apr '14

Are you talking about what you pay on your taxes for the government or the town taxes? There is a fee landlord's pay, like mentioned above. It's very minimal. We live in our rental so it's included as part of our gross income. There's a couple of ways to claim it on your taxes. There is no rental tax for the town, but the property taxes are a definitely high. The town is strict with renting as far as making a one family a legal two family or making an a apartment out of a portion of your home.

Thank you! I'm not sure if we'd look into changing a 1-family legal to two family. More looking at renting out as short term rentals rather than long term.

Liz Z Liz Z
Apr '14

Wondering what experiences people have had with renting their property out. Tenants not paying on time. Not keeping the rental clean and safe. Good idea to rent to others?

botheredbyuu botheredbyuu
May '14

It's a mixed bag. Definitely do your homework by verifying employment and getting references. Had a few folks try to pull one over on us. Really bombed with the first tenants and learned our lesson the hard way. I would even go as far as budgeting for new tenants. I don't think people are always aware of what monthly costs are. If you notice their income is not going to cover the costs of the apartment/house and monthly utilities that's a flag that they can't afford the apartment. Have a friend that you trust meet the tenant(s) with you so you have an someone objective. Sometimes other people pick up on things you may not have noticed. Know tenants rights and legal responsibilities of landlords so you don't run into problems.

Thanks JMC

botheredbyuu botheredbyuu
May '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.