Age of Civil Unrest?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-03-31/martin-armstrong-warns-age-civil-unrest

economist compares current economy to cycles of war in the 1700's - do you think were on the brink?

skippy skippy
Apr '14

Whew. I definitely see some truth in there, and history DOES repeat itself. I guess we'll just have to PREPARE, and wait & see....

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Apr '14

I wouldn't put much stock in this guy's theory. But as to the future, anything is possible, sure.

I think there is a difference between the civil unrest of yore and of now. If you were angry back then, you said something and did something. Now, if you're angry you complain on Facebook, Twitter and Hackettstownlife.

btownguy btownguy
Apr '14

btownguy,

you obviously didn't see yesterday's news from New Mexico....

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/albuquerque-police-face-hundreds-protesters-23122333

Apr '14

From Wiki: "In September 1999, Armstrong faced prosecution by the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission for fraud. During the trial, Armstrong was imprisoned for over seven years for civil contempt of court, one of the longest-running cases of civil contempt in American legal history. In August 2006, Armstrong pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit fraud, and began a five-year sentence"

As The New Yorker said, and I paraphrase: "Apparently none of Armstrong's models predicted the inventor's demise......."

He is a cyclist: a numeric mystic modeler who believes in patterns. I am still reading the googlelian-length article; but bottom line seems maybe yes, but wouldn't bet the farm.

The only thing I know to be true about the economy is that wherever we are in the economic cycle, and whatever our status is; while it may look familiar, we have never been here before. IE --- we may see many similarities, patterns, historical repeats, but it will always be different. For example, in Armstrong's pattern matching with the past; there has never been an internet and I guarantee it will change what happens with civil unrest --- we live in a fishbowl today, we never have before. This might even make it more widespread, might dampen the spread, might provide a "learning" tool that evolves how civil unrest unveils itself, if it does, across the world.

Likewise, in world economics, we in the States are doing some similar things, some different things, creating a current status that looks similar but at the same time is totally different than the past. Can't say whether differences are good or bad, but they are there. Thus, I take cyclists with a grain of salt, especially self-educated ones who have been imprisoned for fraud, and make big money by selling subscriptions to their theories of fear.

Here's the article; http://armstrongeconomics.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/the-new-yorker-article.pdf

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Apr '14

I'm not talking about those that are truly motivated. I'm talking about the unmotivated "I'm moving to Canada if OBcama is elected" personalities. The talk a talk and do no walk. I think there are MANY more of them now than there were in 1776.

btownguy btownguy
Apr '14

Let me know when Thomas Malthus becomes popular again... Malthusian really rolls off the old tongue.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Apr '14

Actually, the civil unrest of the Revolutionary war went on for DECADES before real violence erupted. Just like today- townhall meetings, appeals to the court systems, appeals to local govt officials, lots of "tavern talk" about what could be done BEFORE resorting to violence...

That went on a long time before Lexington and Concord. And even before Lexington and Concord, there was SOME violence.... here and there... most of it property damage.... just not directly against the king's forces, and not with firearms.

Apr '14

I agree with JR, it had been smoldering for some time, much civil unrest, the founding fathers (while many were firebrands) continued to push for reconciliation, and suddenly a random spark of stupidity (Lexington and Concord), not the founding fathers, ignited the conflagration. Basically Massachusetts dragged us all in.

England spent a lot of cash protecting the colonies in the French and Indian War from 1754 to around 1763. Thus the taxes to cover expenses. And Americans, used to living off English military hand-outs, got pissed they were not consulted. Actually it is not all that unfair to ask for financial support, nor was the amount egregious or being used elsewhere, but it was how the King did it that ticked Americans off. The Americans were getting used to governing themselves.

So they used economic sanctions (first volley) to hurt England. Seems fair.

This caused the King to go into back-up mode and send over more soldiers to keep a lid on things. (not the best choice since this is like being occupied by foreigners).

Then the overt act against the King, the tea party but that's still more like vandalism than an act of War (back to you King) (12.73)

He gets pissed and passes the intolerable acts (1774) including the one demanding colonists to house British thugs, I mean soldiers, which is like being forced to share your house with a foreigner. Rather than diffuse, the King chooses punitive measures.

The first Continental Congress (12.74) starts the colonies thinking as one nation (except GA) and resulting in a letter of demands (not separation) being sent to the King. Not exactly stern stuff. He dismisses.

Now the pot is hot, we got foreigners with guns in our streets, in our houses; it sucks. We got a King who does not want to listen to us, does not want to talk, does not want to give us representation at the English governmental table. Americans start preparing, storing arms in places like Lexington and Concord, getting ready, the King sits on his policies, and the Congress disbands.

And here is the match. The King responds with force. Not the Continental Congress, not the founding fathers, but the bonehead King deciding to have a show of force and march on Lexington and Concord to find the arms on 4.18.1775. Paul Revere, the minutemen, and a British loss of men and face as we harassed them all the way home. We won! This is seen as an act of war by both sides, but the American Founding Fathers still sought to repair rather than succeed.

The Continental Congress gets back together in 5.1775 and sends The Olive Branch Petition to the King, not exactly calling for war. I mean it's wimpy. Then the bonehead King does not read it and says they can all hang for defying him pretty much closing the door forcing the war versus the Founding Fathers picking a fight with him.

Oooops. Declaration of Independence on 7.4.76.

Along the way you have many little skirmishes like the Boston Massacre which fan the flames but really don't ignite the fire like these other acts, not "real violence" and more like accidents, property damage, etc.

So, lots of civil unrest; the Founding Fathers trying to find compromise, a stupid King in bully mode thinking my way or the highway, tensions rising, foreign occupation in your own house, and a stupid move for a show of force forcing Americans to defend themselves. If the spark had not been thrown, history would be different. If we had lost at Lexington and Concord, all would have been different. If the Founding Fathers had had their way, we would still be English.

Instead, with civil unrest high, a tiny spark combined with a lucky victory, a King in back-up mode, forced the Founding Fathers to go for broke or be hanged. Up to that time, the Founding Fathers wanted compromise. But at that point, pretty easy choice actually to call for War (since it beats hanging).

Apr '14

The psychologist in me says that resentment and desperation are things that make otherwise good natured people into people who tip over the edge and become violent.

There is nothing more potentially dangerous than someone (or a group who starts listening to a radical leader) who has lost faith in getting somewhere by following the rules, who starts feeling, what's the use in trying to do things the right way?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '14

As I like to say, look at the trends. If the trends are still heading the wrong way, well, what else could be expected?

justintime justintime
Apr '14

http://marketsblog.usatoday.com/2014/04/02/is-a-1987-type-market-crash-37-days-away/

skippy skippy
Apr '14

http://marketsblog.usatoday.com/2014/04/02/will-130-year-old-dow-theory-confirm-bull-trend/

Red Wing
Apr '14

Food prices cause riots & civil unrest - the UN has a calculation if the price of food goes above a certain level on the Food Price Index - people get pissed and take to the streets. Think it is 120 on the FPI.

The Cause Of Riots And The Price of Food

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/425019/the-cause-of-riots-and-the-price-of-food/

Story in today's USA Today about how CEOs keep making more and more money, in the billions of dollars, while Joe Average has to scratch by with less and less ...

interesting reading.

Where is it all heading?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '14

CEOs? At least they EARN their money... the politicians just steal it.

Apr '14

Maybe on planet JR that is true, but not here in the good ole USofA. In both cases there are those who earn and those who should burn.

Apr '14

CEOs would not make all that money without the work of their underlings and people buying their products and "services" (I use the term advisedly) ... the ad geniuses who convince us we need said "services" at outrageous prices.

I don't see this as a "political thing" so I won't be drawn into the usual digressions regarding liberal vs. conservative politics.

I don't see how any politician can change the behaviors of greedy capitalists ... it is up to the spirits of Christmas past, present, and future, to do the work.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '14

Oh, agree there are good and bad of both. My point (poorly made) was at least in the case of a CEO he has a JOB, of a company that earns profit, rather than a politician who dips from the public coffers (and of course the whole lobbyist thing)

Apr '14

Yes, I'm sure many politicians start out with noble motives, but power corrupts.

They start making "deals" and everything goes haywire.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '14

My point is Eisenhower dipped into the public coffers and built our national highway system; he did not become rich over it.

The boys at Enron........

Lately the buzz has been all about the brokerage computers sitting next to the stock exchange taking advantage of milliseconds to make side-orders every time you place a stock. Their computers physically sit next to the exchange computers; so they get a heads-up on your order, can see price changes, and act accordingly. If it was humans, all illegal. If computers, it's f-ing skippy OK. So they do nothing, make millions and line the brokers, exchange and anyone in the payola pipeline's pockets.

New book by Michael Lewis called Flash Boys explains all but bottom line is even after 2008 melt down, they are still making money by doing nothing of value and just gaming the system.

To me, just like many CEO's who have the single innate skill to be top dog in a dog fight. No real talents except being able to claw their way over the other dogs.

Politicians come in all flavors too. Let's face it, it's one place where after you pull the wool (get elected), you really don't even have to turn up for work, for years. But if you really want the big money, you can even lobby against guns while running them on the side :>)

Meanwhile, John Boehner, while I don't often agree with him and less so since being bent over by the TParty but think if left on his own would pass laws in concert with the other side, has never taken an earmark. Never. You may not agree with Biden, or may find him funny (I do); but I think he's a pretty good Joe (pun intended) too.

I was actually hopeful for Cruz too, but that worm turned fast......and ugly.

Have a lot of respect for Jeb Bush too.

Apr '14

"To me, just like many CEO's who have the single innate skill to be top dog in a dog fight. No real talents except being able to claw their way over the other dogs."

And the way they climb that ladder to be top dog is being VERY GOOD AT THEIR JOBs. "No real talents" doesn't apply. As CEO they may not be USING their talents, hands-on, on a daily basis, but they earned that corner office with all the windows, the hard way.

No more Bushes. lol

I still have much hope for Cruz - but we both know we are looking at him from opposite sides of the "glass".

Apr '14

But Bush was CEO, Mom and Dad bought it for him.

He then sold the company just before bankruptcy, bought the Rangers on stolen taxpayer land, and then avoided insider trading through SEC influence capped by, as President, halting the final SEC report on the debacle. See, business people and politicians can work together!

Fact is there are good and bad CEO's and being there does not mean they earned it by being good at their jobs. Many buy it or have it bought, others are just good at winning at office politics, etc. etc. etc.

Whether politics or business, just being there does not mean you did good works or that you work good; one, the other, or neither may be true.

Apr '14

MG,

I'd like to hear more about why you respect Jeb Bush.

Gadfly Gadfly
Apr '14

Whether CEOs were good at their jobs or not, why do they need incomes in the billions?

They're not happy with merely making millions?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '14

When I put all the potential Republican candidates together, Jeb Bush stands out as one who is more centrist than the rest, willing to work across party lines, and notably proven as accepted by a diverse audience. Florida re-elected him, go figure, but that's an accomplishment in diversity acceptance in itself.

While family ties have placed him in business, he actually seems to have worked and taken some interesting jobs. He also is an avid public servant, whether elected or on a volunteer basis. He is not lazy.

Given his family, and his personal beliefs, he will probably do the right thing on immigration, and while a staunch advocate of school choice, he actually supports common core. Apparently he has his own ideas. Amongst Republicans, he is a liberal. Against the Tea Party --- he might just make a stand for what HE believes in, still early, but might be our best hope.

Of course he did go to Vegas, but hey, everyone needs a bisil of Khanuka gelt and, of them all, he is a long-time supporter of Israel, and the family bin Laden, and......

I could say, amongst the potential Republican candidates he is the lesser of evils, I have said he is the one Republican candidate I fear can take what the Democrats are giving away (again), but I think what I really see is a man who makes up his own mind, says what he means, and does what he says.

I think he is more like his father than he is like his brother or mother. Prudent.

Apr '14

Time to flip a coin again.

fitter fitter
Apr '14

What's the "right thing" on immigration?

If common core is so fantastic, why is the previous generation considered to be so great? I mean, if they all received such substandard educations (and assuming we did as well) how did our country get to where it is today? A high number of idiot savants?

Centrist, lesser of two evils, cross party lines, best hope...

C'mon misterg, you can think of a few more cliched adjectives to throw in there!

What does all that really mean anyway? It means status quo. It means the no one will make the tough choices that need to be made. It means the party continues, consequences be damned, right?

justintime justintime
Apr '14

JIT --- quit it.

What's the "right thing" on immigration?
MG -- look it up, he will tell you his stand.

If common core is so fantastic, why is the previous generation considered to be so great? I mean, if they all received such substandard educations (and assuming we did as well) how did our country get to where it is today? A high number of idiot savants?
MG - OK, whatever --- all I said was it's his belief, not necessarily mine. Write to him if you want.

Centrist, lesser of two evils, cross party lines, best hope...
C'mon misterg, you can think of a few more cliched adjectives to throw in there!
MG -- sorry, but that's the consensus of most observers who I guess just are less urbane than you.

What does all that really mean anyway? It means status quo. It means the no one will make the tough choices that need to be made. It means the party continues, consequences be damned, right?
MG -- to me it means an upright guy who might actually create a consensus view, create legislation and programs, and take some positive action for our country.

I just don't know why you are seemingly trying to pick a fight over this. I didn't see anything in my post to illicit such a fiery response. Throttle it down son. Maybe you don't like him, maybe you don't like me, maybe you don't like anyone since they are all "idiot savants," but geez, tone it down a bit please.

Apr '14

Mistergoogle just expressed his view. Remember he will have no say in the matter. That's how we got where we are. By accepting the lesser of two evils we still got evils on both sides.

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '14

No misterg, I won't "quit it". You certainly won't. You continue to present your perspective, and I'll do the same with mine. And BTW, I don't want to pick a fight - you do. I just want to remind you that yours is not the only perspective in town.

All in all, we simply disagree on perspective. I say look deeper, and you continue to copy and paste what you hear on the news. Fine. But don't tell me to quit it because you don't want to delve deeper beyond the direction someone else wants the discussion to go.

For starters, here's some other high priority topics that - in MY OPINION - should trump the "news" of which candidate the RNC wants to peddle (already discussed ad nauseum in the past here):

Debt based economy, how it works, how total debt can never go down no matter how much we argue about it.
Federal Reserve system, how it's changed over the last six year and how much the debt based economy has been taken over by it, and by extension the US government, which basically means "us".
Petrodollar, and the wars that will likely stem from it, how the stakes are so high that any major disruption in petrodollar usage will harm our debt based economy, how lower petrodollar usage will cause inflation that no one is sure the Federal Reserve can mask like they have been by issuing debt.
"Gold is not currency", yet all of our "enemies" (wink wink) are moving in that direction.
The difference between "foundational" issues vs "surface" issues.

And please, only new insults. I don't think I've heard them all yet. ;-)

justintime justintime
Apr '14

I just said I have a lot of respect for Jeb Bush, someone asked why, I responded basically with his record and you are jumping all over me for Jeb Bush's record and continue to tell anyone who has a different view to "look deeper, and you continue to copy and paste what you hear on the news" because your "high priority" topics are more "foundational" yet apparently not newsworthy.

Yes, I said it, I "Have a lot of respect for Jeb Bush" based on his resume and record which I noted above.

Apparently you don't and feel anyone who does is not deep enough. OK. Check. Get it. Thanks. And begging me to insult you seems like picking a fight, maybe it's just me.

Apr '14

Not begging, just anticipating the usual response misterg. You know me, I work the trends. But I'm happy you say that particular trend is changing though, glad to see.

Regarding Jeb Bush, since he has been pushed publicly by the RNC in the news recently, that tells me to add him to the list of "I'm going to maintain the status quo" candidates. Every president for the last half century has been the same-old same-old economically (with the exception of emotional issues, of course).

justintime justintime
Apr '14

I did not say I have changed anything. Just don't feel like bickering with you over Jeb Bush's record.

msitergoogle msitergoogle
Apr '14

Ok, thanks for the clarification that my "trend" comment above was indeed accurate and appropriate. Duly noted for future engagements.

BTW, does "the language of dispassionate objectivity" mean anything to you? Just asking is all.

justintime justintime
Apr '14

JT and MG... so hope that you both can return to your more informative, interesting and thought-provoking discourse... take a deep breath guys, I so enjoy and learn from reading both of your perspectives....

pmnsk pmnsk
Apr '14

The Government knows it's coming, that's why they want to take your guns away and make it impossible to purchase guns and ammo.

Re: Age of Civil Unrest?

nah.... the government doesn't expect anything....

http://blog.heritage.org/2014/02/10/tank-every-corner-police-departments-acquiring-armored-vehicles/

Militarizing the police force is, to the citizenry, like poking an angry dog... it's just going to escalate matters.

Apr '14

no one has any 'need' for an armored vehicle. nobody has ever given one solid reason that makes 'common sense' as to why they would 'need' an armored vehical

if the cops can't do their jobs without armored vehicles, they need to back to cop school

no one really 'needs' a armored vehicle to hand out traffic tickets, do they?

i call for a statewide ban on armored vehicles, it's only 'common sense'

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

We keep supporting all of the big companies by continuing to buy products and unnecessary items all marketed and sold by ceo's that are keeping all of the wealth. I think we have much more power as a people than we give ourselves credit for. If we want the system to change we have to change the way it works and stop taking the easy way out. Stop buying tons of things that we don't need from places that are not redistributing wealth to the community. No one can live on minimum wage so why are we supporting places that don't take care of the people in our community. Start buying food from the source and making food that is not marketed, heavily packaged and overpriced. When the big companies are not making money they will have to change. We have choices everyday about where we spend our money, so be wise and support the mom and pap shops when possible and the local farms. Don't throw things away and start refurbishing things. We became so dependent on new things and constant buying, very different than past generations.

Well said, Jmc.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '14

It's not the age of civil unrest, it's the age of manufactured conflict. Jerry Springer and Judge Judy are the new heroes, do ANYTHING except fail to choose a side. If people actually worked together it would be the positively worst episode of Survivor ever.

"It's Only Entertainment" - Bad Religion

It's only entertainment -
Superficial urgency,
Posterboard mentality,
It's only entertainemnt.

Tightly constrained
the buzz that remains
Is the story of how we run our lives,

Many our the people poor and suffering
From the lack of coverage
From the transmission beam.

And if it ever gets there
you'll be offended too,
'cause you cannot distinguish
chicanery from truth.

I know bad religion but I'm not sure what you mean?

I find it funny that the same people who say guberment is incapable of doing anything right, too stupid to run a business, generally also think that everybody should not only have lots of guns but should carry concealed, thinks:

"no one has any 'need' for an armored vehicle. nobody has ever given one solid reason that makes 'common sense' as to why they would 'need' an armored vehical"

"The Government knows it's coming, that's why they want to take your guns away and make it impossible to purchase guns and ammo."

like the guberment knows all and have a plan when on one side you say no, they don't need extra protection and on the other that you're armed to the teeth and ready to shoot.

Fact is since 911 the guberment has been throwing homeland security dollars around like candy at the Hackettstown memorial parade. The military industrial complex (your favorite arms makers), working in conjunction with the pentagon have been deep discounting armored vehicles. So you have free money and a really good deal on the hard stuff. Combined with the drug war, the boarder war, and the war on terror, and you get armament-getten. Not to mention everyday civilians like on this site promoting and touting ownership of as big a gun as they can get with the sole purpose of ........

Who wouldn't say "You're gonna need a bigger boat?" Maybe they just have the free money you gave them, the MRAP's are still being produced at war time levels, are equipped for duty ready-to-roll and you're giving them deep discounts too boot, and you're actually telling them they better be ready. Remember, these vehicles are really stocked for every type of homeland security issue. Sure, they are Iraq-ready as well, but also ready for many emergencies and can go anywhere in any kind of weather.

Fact is it can be stopped too. At least they did in New Hampshire: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/16/police-tank-purchase-new-hampshire_n_1279983.html

But, as you can look back and see, when Boston happened, the MRAPs rolled in from all directions. And perhaps that was a good thing since they certainly looked like they were needed to protect citizens from citizens. So, I don't have an answer except to say: what did you expect would happen when you not only stockpile weapons but shout out why from the rooftops. De-escalation?

Personally I still have no reason to fear my government.

Apr '14

JMC - Simply put, we're all human beings, we all want the same things. Choosing sides in a non-existent battle just divides people. We need to come together, not continue to tear ourselves apart artificially.

I'm still trying to figure out what "guberment" is. (nice subtle condescension, btw)

Apr '14

guberment by the peeples fer da peeples. You know, us is them, them is us, koo koo cha choo.

Apr '14

Jeez, if you're gonna steal Beatles lyrics, at least get them right.

It's "Goo goo g' joob"

You just sound like you're sneezing.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '14

doesn't know it, that's funny right there,

civil unrest in the last couple of days --

Donetsk (Ukraine) (AFP) - Activists chanting "Russia!" broke through police lines Sunday and stormed several government buildings in eastern Ukrainian regions seeking independence from Kiev following last month's fall of a Kremlin regime.

http://news.yahoo.com/pro-russians-storm-government-building-eastern-ukraine-132011839.html

Angry mob attacks Ebola treatment centre in Guinea

http://news.yahoo.com/angry-mob-attacks-ebola-treatment-centre-guinea-210334084.html;_ylt=AwrBJSAwIT9TPDMAukHQtDMD

At Least 100 Spring Break Revelers Arrested When Riot Erupts During ‘Deltopia’

A popular spring break celebration near the University of California, Santa Barbara campus turned violent Saturday, prompting officers to release tear gas into crowds.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/04/06/at-least-100-spring-break-revelers-arrested-when-riot-erupts-during-deltopia/

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

People worry about spelling? ... on THIS website?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '14

why does anyone 'need' 20 cigarettes in a pack?

no one should have a 'need' for more than 7 cigarettes in pack.

no one has ever given me a good reason for why they 'need' 20 cigarettes in a pack. so i have determined for them that they do not need 20 cigarettes at a time. it's only 'common sense' to restrict them for their own good. it's for the betterment of society

i think we 'need' a new state law that restricts the average citizens to buying packs of cigarettes that only hold 7 cigarettes. why would anyone argue with this 'common sense' regulation?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

"But, as you can look back and see, when Boston happened, the MRAPs rolled in from all directions. And perhaps that was a good thing since they certainly looked like they were needed to protect citizens from citizens."

Protect the citizens from what, exactly? In Boston, martial law was declared - MARTIAL LAW - in addition to all the military vehicles that were called in. All for two suspects who the police knew they had ON THE RUN. Two. Not an army, not a highly advanced enemy, but two individuals.

Some might think to call that a wee bit of overkill, 100% justified using fear and emotion.

justintime justintime
Apr '14

For JIT from The Marx Bro's Horsefeathers (Ruby/Kalmar):

"I don’t know what they have to say
It makes no difference anyway
Whatever it is, I’m against it!
No matter what it is
Or who commenced it
I’m against it!"

I dunno but sure seems like you put a target on my a.....opinions and I wish you would move it elsewhere. Once again, you argue the ridiculous when you comment on my MRAP rap as follows:

"Protect the citizens from what, exactly?
MG -- well, huge downtown bombing, cop killed, kidnapping, guys tossing bombs from stolen cars, gun play, and the unknown which apparently only you were secure in the fact it was just a mere two "individuals" not worthy of an armored vehicle.

"In Boston, martial law was declared - MARTIAL LAW - in addition to all the military vehicles that were called in."
MG -- So if you declare martial law, then you don't need equipment he asked sarcastically? It seems that martial law and equipment would go together. Yes, the MRAPs rolled according to their general disaster plan. But MARTIAL LAW was declared he screams, sorry, not quite. In Boston and the surrounding areas, Martial Law was not declared but instead it was a request to "shelter in place" was made. Not even a state of emergency was given. However, the fact that most people obeyed and stayed off the streets gives you an indication that citizens felt the need to be protected, in this case, from other citizens. So sorry, but no martial law declaration.

"All for two suspects who the police knew they had ON THE RUN. Two. Not an army, not a highly advanced enemy, but two individuals."
MG --- No, sorry, wrong again. The FBI arrested three others so it was not just two and at the point the MRAPs rolled, I don't think anyone really knew how many people might be involved.

"Your proposition may be good
But let’s have one thing understood
Whatever it is, I’m against it!
And even when you’ve changed it
Or condensed it
I’m against it!

I’m opposed to it
On general principles
I’m opposed to it!
(He’s opposed to it)
(In fact, he says he’s opposed to it!)

For months before my son was born
I used to yell from night to morn
“Whatever it is, I’m against it!”
And I’ve kept yelling
Since I first commenced it
“I’m against it!”

So I am sure you are against what I have stated here but no martial law, no confirmed "only two guys," and really you should just find another but to paste your target on. I stand by my opinion, hey it's just an opinion, that "perhaps that was a good thing since they certainly looked like they were needed to protect citizens from citizens."

Feel free to differ but let's not make up the facts.

Apr '14

Cop shot, not killed, sorry --- my bad

Apr '14

Saturday, 20 April 2013 22:20
Boston Bombing Lessons: Martial Law Doesn't Work

Only after the curfew in Watertown, Massachusetts, was lifted and alert resident David Hanberry went outside his home to get a smoke, according to news reports, did the case of the Boston Marathon bombing manhunt for suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev crack open. That was when Hanberry saw blood on the tarp of his dry-docked boat and called the police.

Up until that time, a wide assortment of local, state, and federal officials were engaged in a dragnet that essentially shut down the city of Boston, and included house-to-house searches in the neighborhoods of Watertown, Mass. and New Bedford, Mass., the latter being near where 19-year-old Russian immigrant Dzhokhar Tsarnaev had enrolled in college. Tsarnaev, a Muslim from the Dagestan area of Russia that abuts Chechnya, became a U.S. citizen on September 11 of last year.

In essence, the lessons from the Boston Marathon mean that the following procedures employed in the week-long manhunt proved to be completely ineffective in apprehending Tsarnaev:

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/crime/item/15163-boston-bombing-lessons-martial-law-doesn-t-work

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

pmnsk, I think it's safe to say that mistergoogle's post above isn't just a no, it's a "hell no" to your request. Can I predict the future or what? ;-)

misterg, if you feel like a target then maybe you shouldn't put a bulls eye on every post you make. Your words are your own (at least some of the time) and you and you alone are responsible for them. Continue to use your cowardly "insulting" style of rhetoric and the target will only grow. Surely you are intelligent enough to see that?

So, my retort to your defensive response above is as follows:

During the period of "voluntary" marshal law, what was the militarized police force looking for? What did they *know* at the time they were asking people to *voluntarily* stay off the street and to *voluntarily* let them into their homes (even though there is plenty of video evidence recorded at the time validating the fact that voluntary really didn't mean voluntary - google it if you don't believe me)?

They knew about two individuals. TWO. That's it. I wasn't talking about the followup investigation, I was talking about that moment in time, the moment in time in which the militarized police force knew they were looking for two men. It was clear in my first post, and I think it's pretty clear now. Yet you reply using facts that didn't exist yet just so you can puff your chest out and say "you're wrong", playing some twisted game where winning a point is the only goal. Sorry misterg, but you are nothing more that liar when you play the obfuscation game, blatant to anyone who cares to look, and especially bad because you do it in the most despicable of ways.

It's my opinion that too much force was used based on the information at the time, and that force caused just as much, if not more, *terror* to a larger portion of the population than the bombing itself. It is also my opinion that if police forces keep and maintains militarized equipment it is only natural that they want to find a use for it, even when it isn't needed.

Please notice how I did NOT say, nor ever implied, that a forceful response was not necessary. I specifically said the force used was overkill, and I disagree with how casually you accept men with guns forcing people to stay in their homes. Yet I'm sure you read my words to mean that the streets of Boston should have been a free for all, which of course is nowhere near the truth.

justintime justintime
Apr '14

"included house-to-house searches in the neighborhoods of Watertown, Mass. and New Bedford, Mass."

house to house searches conducted with militarized combatants wearing armor, wielding automatic weapons and using mechanized armor for transport,

overkill ? that word doesn't even come close to describing the police state we find ourselves living in.

but let's continue to reduce the number of rounds in a clip, and ban semi-auto rifles because you have no 'need' of anything greater.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

Snipers? Really? Big brother at it's tyrannical finest.

http://www.infowars.com/federal-snipers-train-guns-on-family-for-filming-cattle/

Apr '14

from the linked article above:

Boston Bombing Lessons: Martial Law Doesn't Work

the lessons from the Boston Marathon mean that the following procedures employed in the week-long manhunt proved to be completely ineffective in apprehending Tsarnaev:

• House-to-house searches in a dragnet-style;

• Use of military-style helicopters across the state;

• Use of tanks and armored vehicles on the streets of Boston, Cambridge, Watertown, and New Bedford;

• Shutting down the city, except for limited coffee shops;

• Stopping all public transportation;

• Banning taxi service across the city of Boston; and

• Abandoning the federal Posse Comitatus law banning the use of soldiers in law enforcement.

Moreover, the use of curfews in a number of towns actually likely delayed apprehension of the suspect, as the curfew essentially took more than a million pairs of eyes off possible getaway scenes.

Veteran police investigators have traditionally rejected the dragnet because they see it as a waste of police resources, but in the post-bombing panic, politicians demanded that police on the beat appear to be doing everything they could to solve the crisis. In this case, that appearance included a curfew that amounted to searching and hassling people who were clearly not in cahoots with the bombing suspects. Police detained and searched anyone on the streets of Boston and Watertown, even searching famous local news reporters multiple times during the course of the manhunt. In some instances, news reporters received death threats from over-zealous police officers.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

I'm more concerned about the "First Amendment Area" that was established.

The sniper response sounds like just another day on the job for law enforcement...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '14

here's part of the story:

A man was arrested on Sunday afternoon in connection with the cattle roundup currently ongoing by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) on nearly 600,000 acres of public land in northeastern Clark County.

Dave Bundy, son of Bunkerville rancher Cliven Bundy, was reportedly arrested by BLM officers while he was standing along the north side of State Route 170 between Bunkerville and Riverside, taking photographs of his family’s cattle that were grazing along the Virgin River down below.

Ryan Bundy insists that his brother’s behavior along the highway on Sunday afternoon was neither a protest nor had it escalated to illegal activity.

“He was doing nothing but standing there and filming the landscape,” Bundy said. “We were on the state highway, not even off of the right-of-way. Even if they want to call [the area that we were filming] federal land; which it’s not; we weren’t even on it. We were on the road.”

Bundy said that several of his family members had gone out in four different vehicles. They were parked along the north side of the road about 200 yards apart, he said. David Bundy had gotten out of his car to film the cattle grazing on the distant landscape below.

Suddenly a large number of BLM vehicles came down and surrounded the area, Ryan Bundy said.

“I counted, they had 11 vehicles all with at least two agents in each one, maybe more,” he said. “They also had four snipers on the hill above us all trained on us. We were doing nothing besides filming the area.”

None of the occupants in the four family vehicles were carrying any fire arms, Bundy said.

Over their vehicle loudspeakers, the BLM officers ordered the family to leave the area, Bundy said.

“They said that we had no first amendment rights except for up by the bridge where they had established an area for that,” Bundy said.

The BLM has established two fenced areas near the City of Mesquite, that they have designated as free speech areas for members of the public to express their opinions.

“He was filming and talking on the phone, I don’t know to whom,” Ryan Bundy said. “It happened pretty fast. They came down on him hard and had a German Shepherd on him. And then they took him.”

Ryan said that his vehicle, which had been stopped several hundred yards behind that of his brother, had by this time approached close to the scene of the arrest.

“I stayed and witnessed the whole thing,” he said. “I told them that I was not going to engage them and that I just wanted to take my brother with me. But they were pushing, pushing, pushing! So I did stay there long enough to witness the whole thing, about 10 feet away from me.”

BLM officials, in response to questions submitted by the Progress on Sunday evening, stated via email that an arrest had been made. But the email gave few details.

“An individual is in custody in order to protect public safety and maintain the peace,” the email states. “The individual has rights and therefore details about the arrest will not be disclosed until and unless charges are filed.”

“We still don’t know what the charges are that they arrested him on,” Ryan Bundy said on Sunday. “They mentioned some code over their loudspeakers. I don’t know what it was, but it was something or other federal code. That is what they arrested him on, was that premise.”

Bundy said that the biggest problem is that the family has nowhere to go to report the incident or to get further information about the status of his brother.

“We don’t have any policing representation,” he said. “Our local police will not respond. The County Sherriff will not respond. NHP will not respond.”

Ryan said that his father, Cliven, had called emergency response in both Mesquite and for Metro.

“They told him to get off the phone or he would be arrested,” Bundy said. “That is the kind of support that we had from any legitimate policing power.”

http://mvprogress.com/2014/04/06/one-of-bundy%E2%80%99s-sons-arrested-in-roundup-incident/

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

that's it-im builder an underground bunker....lol

icicle icicle
Apr '14

Some months back, I was watching a news report about some incident or another given by a police chief who had the usual four stars on his collar just like he was Gen. Patton or MacArthur (watch for this, they all do it now) At any rate he was speaking to the situation and referring to his men as "operators" Now this is telling, operators is the term for military special ops guys who do the things "over there" that keep the bad guys "over there", permanently. Now the police (of all kinds) want to and are doing that here, if people do not see the growing threat to our liberties from the militarization of police, they are either blind, naïve or just plain dumb.

OldSam
Apr '14

" if people do not see the growing threat to our liberties from the militarization of police, they are either blind, naïve or just plain dumb."

Personally,I think the ones who can read that news story and "see nothing wrong with it" are being WILLFULLY blind, WILLFULLY naive.

Or, they actually WANT a police state, thinking it would be "good for them" but "bad for "us" [pro-2A/small government/constitutionalist people]"... thinking, somehow, it will not affect them... that's being WILLFULLY ignorant.

Apr '14

What gives you that idea OldSam?

I don't know about you, but I see one police officer and four soldiers here...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '14

Actually, it would be a good game... hide the logo and see if you could identify police vs. soldier in a lot of the pictures you see online.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '14

Boston was a bit of a wake up call... for those who were eyes wide open.

Apr '14

It's happening.... all hell breaking loose at Bundy Ranch, Nevada....

(at least the BLM agents are dressed like BLM agents instead of US Special Forces)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhJ6H9vlEDA&list=UUYr9ruxjGbBB1MOpuU6tpAQ

Apr '14

ahem....

Apr '14

Wow, what a messed up situation. I truly hope that the situation doesn't turn violent, but I'm not sure what else the rancher expects. You can't flaunt the law for two decades steal $1 million in grazing services on public lands and expect that the law is never going to come down on you.

Gadfly Gadfly
Apr '14

Well, he did technically break the law, BUT- the whole point it, it's a questionable law. Just like the gun owners who are made criminals overnight by "lawmakers" who signed a bill. We are coming to points where the people just aren't going to take it anymore, because they feel the government is crossing over into the territory of tyranny.

I know "tyranny" sounds like a "big word", and alot of people would roll their eyes at it's use, but this is serious. In the coming years, you will only see MORE of these confrontations- sooner or later, something is going to explode (no pun intended).

And I mean- COME ON- a "first amendment area" outside of which the first amendment is "suspended"?!?!?! ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME?!?!?!?! This is (still) AMERICA!

Apr '14

OMG. WHY is this story not being WIDELY covered by mainstream media?!?!?!

Word on the street from sources close to the militia movement is that up to 5,000 armed militia members will be arriving in Bunkerville, Nevada sometime today.

http://joeforamerica.com/2014/04/update-5000-armed-militia-members-will-arriving-bunkerville-nevada-today/#bv4Z60VCYjcHIP7t.99

Apr '14

there are reports that the cattle the government is rounding up are being killed.

is that true?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

so which is it? the feds can't have it both ways, is it the unpaid grazing fees or is it the habitat for the 'endangered' tortoise? if the government is concerned about the habitat then why are they allowing grazing? can't have it both ways.

since when does the sovereign state of Nevada concede authority of their lands to the federal government? where is the Governor of Nevada on this? Why is he hiding behind mealy mouthed fence sitting statements? He should be going to bat for his residents.

the federal government is talking out both sides of their mouths.

this situation has all the makings for another Ruby Ridge / Waco outcome, and that would be really bad.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

For better or worse, first ammendment areas seems to be very common. For example, they have them every year here in NJ for the people protesting the bear hunt.

As far as the video goes, I'm surprised that more of the mob weren't arrested. They were intentionally, physically blocking the federal vehicles to prevent them from executing a court order. That's not an activity that's protected by the first ammendment.

And now pickup trucks full of whacko militia men are headed to defend this criminal? It sounds like they are trying to fulfill Bundy's threat of starting a "range war".

Gadfly Gadfly
Apr '14

"so which is it? the feds can't have it both ways, is it the unpaid grazing fees or is it the habitat for the 'endangered' tortoise? if the government is concerned about the habitat then why are they allowing grazing? can't have it both ways."

You should read more background information. They actually can have it both ways.

Gadfly Gadfly
Apr '14

"For example, they have them every year here in NJ for the people protesting the bear hunt."

Do snipers point their rifles at you if you protest the bear hunt outside of those areas?

Having a designated area for an organized/scheduled protest is different than suspending First Amendment rights outside of that area.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '14

Are there actually credible reports of snipers in this case? Or is it just allegations made by the angry people in that video?

"Having a designated area for an organized/scheduled protest is different than suspending First Amendment rights outside of that area."

Not sure I agree with you here. The point of the first amendment areas is that your protest is limited to that area so that your are not interfering with the activity being protested. In the example I gave, there is a professor who is arrested every year bc he doesn't stay in the protest area at the bear check station at Whittingham WMA.

Gadfly Gadfly
Apr '14

"Are there actually credible reports of snipers in this case? Or is it just allegations made by the angry people in that video?"

According to some people, yes...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '14

The man has not obeyed a law that been in effect since 18th hundreds or paid what's due from what I understand. You don't like it, Change the law.

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '14

"The point of the first amendment areas is that your protest is limited to that area so that your are not interfering with the activity being protested. In the example I gave, there is a professor who is arrested every year bc he doesn't stay in the protest area at the bear check station at Whittingham WMA."

Sounds like he's violating hunter harassment laws (which are fine). Doesn't negate the fact that he's still well within his rights to speak outside of any First Amendment Area.

Pre-existing natural, civil, and Constitutionally protected rights can't be "turned off" at the whim of the government. The results of someone using those rights can have repercussions if they infringe on someone else's rights... of course.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '14

Nope, not hunter harassment. Disorderly persons and obstruction of administration of the law. Don't know exactly how I feel about the first amendment areas, but clearly you can not physically obstruct a government activity, particularly a law enforcement activity and expect to be protected by the first amendment.

Gadfly Gadfly
Apr '14

"The man has not obeyed a law that been in effect since 18th hundreds or paid what's due from what I understand. You don't like it, Change the law."

The way I understand it:

The Bundy family purchased the grazing rights from the federal government in 1887. A grandson repurchased those rights in 1970 something. Then in 1993 I think they said they started being taxed for use of the land. And that's what the family is standing on. (Because they purchased the grazing rights again In the 70s)

They started taxing them because they put a law in effect for some kind of endangered species on that land. Again, the man HAS PAID FOR GRAZING RIGHTS. It's the new "tax" he is protesting, from what I understand. He paid for grazing rights, his cattle are legally allowed to graze there. Then one day, the govt passes a NEW tax on the SAME land because an endangered species lives there. He is essentially made a criminal overnight.

Just like the NY citizens with legally-purchased, legally-owned firearms, who are made criminals overnight because a NEW law was passed (with no grandfathering.)

This is exactly the kind of stuff revolutions are made of. I've been doing alot of studying on the American Revolution lately, and this is event is ONE instance- you will see more, they will become more common. Then someone fires a shot, and all hell breaks loose.

Apr '14

"but clearly you can not physically obstruct a government activity, particularly a law enforcement activity and expect to be protected by the first amendment."

Which is the WHOLE PURPOSE of the 2nd Amendment.

I told you guys this stuff was coming.

Apr '14

JR Then one day, the govt passes a NEW tax on the SAME land because an endangered species lives there. He is essentially made a criminal overnight.

Change the law. You know as well as I do all our rights are slowly being taken away. Lately this kind of action was approved by Justice Sandra Day O'Conner as a parting gift.

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '14

federal agents deployed a dog against a pregnant woman and pushed a cancer survivor to the ground. Federal agents also used a taser against Ammon Bundy, one of Cliven's sons. Snipers and agents equipped with military-style gear are also being used in the effort.

A group of some 20 cowboys also defied the federal blockade to round up cattle, Watson said. Agents backed off, he added, after realizing they were outnumbered.

A so-called "First Amendment" area set up by feds was taken down Thursday. The area has been completely ignored by protesters and was condemned by Nevada Governor Brian Sandoval.

http://www.examiner.com/article/report-feds-assault-protester-at-bundy-ranch-as-first-amendment-area-taken-down

Apr '14

Sounds a little like Waco all over again.

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '14

Well, except for 2 things:

1) military special forces were used at Waco (officially denied, but the evidence is pretty conclusive)

2) there was SUPPOSEDLY "child abuse" going on at Waco. Altho no one has ever explained why the compound had to be assaulted militarily when they could have just arrested Karesh on the street in town many many many times over.... he always went into town for banking, mail, etc. Could have nabbed him quite easily. (Unless they wanted to make an example out of the whole mess... which they certainly did)

Apr '14

"The Bundy family purchased the grazing rights from the federal government in 1887"

this gives them grandfathered rights, they need better legal representation.

the feds are out of control,. and they are talking out both sides of their mouths.
why charge for grazing rights if the goal is to preserve the butte for the desert tortoise?
as usual with mindless, soulless government bureaucrats they don't know how to think clearly, they only know force,

this family has been sighted on by snipers with sniper rifles, been set upon with attack dogs, assault helicopters and thugs in body armor wielding automatic weapons. these are unnamed government agents who have no problem doing this to pregnant woman, children and other innocent bystanders.

what country are we living in again?

the BLM has tased people and set attack dogs on pregnant women and thrown people in jail for standing on the side of the road taking pictures.

what country are we living in?

finally the Governor of Nevada has come to the defense of the Bundy family.

enough already !

there is the potential here for another ruby ridge / Waco. the feds were criminally wrong in both of those tragedies and have never been held to account for it. maybe it's time that was addressed.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

There are currently militias banding together from Florida, New Hampshire, Texas and 3 other states to fly out to Nevada to fight the Feds, if necessary.

emily1 emily1
Apr '14

in 1 video a guy kicked a K9, he's lucky all he got was tased, not even arrested. Could have been charge with assaulting an officer.

darwin darwin
Apr '14

no way a city boy is going to understand this,

uniformed and heavily armed federal agents showed up where American citizens were standing on the side of the road taking pictures and ordered them to move out, the BLM thugs came at them with the trained war dogs on leashes backed up by snipers on the hill who were training high-powered rifles on unarmed innocent men, women and children who were taking pictures from the roadway. BLM uniformed agents wielding automatic weapons, and tasers on unarmed civilians. BLM agents then used the attack dogs to escalate the situation, instill fear and intimidate unarmed men, women and children,

please look and see the whole picture of what is going on

what country are we living in?

militia members from more than a dozen other states are rushing there right now to lend support, the government will need to back off, other wise there will be another ruby ridge tragedy here.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

Wow, this thread is more full of BS than the Mr. Bundy's entire trespassing herd. This people are not innocently standing on the roadside taking photos. They are actively confronting the federal workers and physically interfering with the BLM's legal and court sanctioned activities. They are physically blocking the vehicles. Their own video proves this. They have no right to do so, and should expect no less than arrest and prosecution for doing so. The same as protestors lying down in front of bulldozers or chaining themselves to redwoods. If some of these people are are children, well shame on their parents. If one of them is a pregnant woman, shame on her for violating the law and putting herself in harms way.

And now there are reports of "militia" coming from around the country to fight the government? If this thing turns violent, the blood is on their hands and particularly on Mr. Bundy's, who threatened the BLM with a "range war" at the start of this fiasco.

Mr. Bundy has been flaunting the law for over twenty years. The federal government finally standing up to him is not only right, it's long past due.

Gadfly Gadfly
Apr '14

more info on what is going on with unsworn federal goons acting as law enforcement , possibly illegally-

A Nevada state senator is worried about the possibility of violence as the standoff between rancher Cliven Bundy’s family and heavily armed federal agents continued.

As previously reported by the Washington Free Beacon, an estimated 200 armed officials have surrounded the Bundy ranch, providing security for contractors to remove 908 cows designated by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) as “trespass cattle.”

Nevada state Sen. Peter Goicoechea (R.) expressed concern that the federal government was exacerbating the problem.

“This morning was the first I actually heard that there were military personnel there,” said Goicoechea, who is also a public land rancher. “If, in fact, we actually have military personnel down in that area because that equates to martial law.”

Goicoechea brought up the questionable handling of a previous case by armed BLM officers in the state two months ago.

“We have always challenged that BLM Rangers have no jurisdiction or police powers in the state of Nevada,” Goicoechea said. “They typically are an unsworn officer. And we had the case where a young man was shot a couple months ago at Red Rock by two BLM Rangers.”

The BLM officers shot and killed an unarmed young man in February near the Red Rock National Conservation Area, just outside of Las Vegas.

A graphic video documented the encounter. BLM officers fought with the suspect, ultimately shooting him seven times when he attempted to get into a Nevada Highway Patrol vehicle and remove an AR-15 rifle from a locked compartment, according to the Las Vegas Review Journal.

“He was definitely disoriented, he was unarmed, and they were questioning him, along the state highway,” Goicoechea said. “And if you press for this they’ll tell you it’s still under investigation.”

“They shot him seven times, killed him dead,” he said. “They said, well, they thought he was trying to get—there was a highway patrolman there, and they said it looked like he was trying to get into the highway patrolman vehicle, and we were afraid he’d get the shotgun out of there. So they shot him. They killed him.”

BLM officials arrested Dave Bundy, Cliven’s son, on Sunday, for taking pictures along a blocked of area on state highway 170. Carol Bundy said the officials “bruised him up pretty good,” and held him for 24 hours.

Goicoechea said this is not the first impoundment of cattle in the state, but typically county governments have handled public safety. A former county commissioner, Goicoechea said he never allowed for any roads to be closed.

http://freebeacon.com/issues/standoff-at-nevada-ranch-drags-on/

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

City boy? I can't imagine you are talking to me?

You might want to watch the video the "peaceful protestors" posted again. There were about 8-10 agents in the video and about 30 protestors. The protestors were the aggressors not standing protesting but physically blocking the vehicles. They were getting right in the faces of the BLM agents. A K9 officer was brought over and the guy kicked him twice. Again he was lucky he was not arrested, had he done that to a human officer he would be facing serious jail time

No agent was wielding his assault weapon. The had tasers. They showed pretty good restraint IMO and ended up leaving. It did look like 1 agent shoved someone to the ground in the beginning

Darwin Darwin
Apr '14

K9 officer? Always get a kick out of hearing that lol. Hello, it's a DOG! Wrong to abuse, of course, but still a dog.

Regarding the topic of the thread, there's quite a bit of confrontational action taking place on both sides IMO. I sincerely hope this ends without incident.

justintime justintime
Apr '14

Why can't this rancher continue his way of life? Why are cows and turtles be killed? Why are so many people outraged? If people can stop redwoods from being cut down, why can't people protect a ranchers way of life? I want to learn the truth.
If each side of this issue was clearly explained and put to a vote, I wonder what the outcome of such a poll would be?
Maybe someone could start a new thread, clearly outline each side & we could have a vote.

Happy Guy Happy Guy
Apr '14

Just a dog? Ouch. I think there are members of SEAL team 6, members of bomb squads, police units, rescue workers from ground zero that would feel differently.

Darwin Darwin
Apr '14

this unarmed family has had sniper rifles trained on them, had military trained attack dogs set on them, assault helicopters circling their property, and surrounded by federal government thugs in body armor wielding automatic weapons. these agents are having no problem targeting a pregnant woman, children and other innocent bystanders.

what country are we living in again?

btw, what is the fate of the confiscated cattle that has been rounded up? there are multiple reports that they are being killed.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

you are correct of course, this k9 officer is not just any old dog, it is a military trained attack weapon. used in this case to terrorize and intimidate unarmed men, women and children, seal team 6 would not be so quick to get behind this operation.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

You want to learn the truth? Unfortunately the truth isn't conducive to this story. It's all about the sizzle and not about the steak, to use a beef metaphor.

Gadfly Gadfly
Apr '14

Yes Gadfly, I want to know truth.

Happy Guy Happy Guy
Apr '14

“They’re carrying the same things a soldier would,” he told the Free Beacon. “Automatic weapons, sniper rifles, top communication, top surveillance equipment, lots of vehicles. It’s heavy soldier type equipment.”

Carol Bundy, Cliven’s wife, said hundreds of armed BLM and FBI agents are set up around their property, as helicopters circle the area, and nearby roads remain off limits.

“We’re surrounded,” Carol Bundy said. “We’re estimating that there are over 200 armed BLM, FBI. We’ve got surveillance cameras at our house, they’re probably listening to me talk to you right now.”

http://rt.com/usa/nevada-ranch-armed-feds-520/

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

lol Darwin, I hear you. I think calling a dog an "officer" is a bit more than over the top, but I do get the emotional attachment.

justintime justintime
Apr '14

Former director of BLM was Sen. Harry Reid's adviser, Documents purged from website, Harry Reid's son heavily involved in representing Chinese Solar Farm to be built on grazing land....it's all coming together now

documentation:
http://www.conservativerefocus.com/blog5.php/2014/04/11/bureau-of-land-management-takeover-at-bundy-ranch-tied-to-harry-reid-and-chinese-solar-farm

Apr '14

What do you want to know?

Bundy's family has long grazed cattle on this land. It's owned by the federal government, and managed by the BLM, Bureau of Land Management. He decided that, unlike all of the other law abiding ranchers, he would stop paying the grazing fees he owed to the BLM for use of the public land. As a result, he lost his lease. Five years later, the BLM reduced the number of cattle allowed to be grazed on this land because it was critical habitat for an endangered species. This didn't really impact Bundy as he had already stopped paying for use of the public land anyway and was already grazing illegally.

The BLM has tried to evict Bundy's cattle for more than twenty years now. Bundy claims that he has the right to graze the land because his family has been grazing it since before the creation of the BLM. Several courts have found Bundy's claims to be without merit. The latest ruling sanctioned physical removal of the cattle and barred Bundy from interfering.

Finally, after twenty years of pursuing less direct remedies, the BLM has started physically removing the trespassing herd, since Bundy has refused to do so. Bundy threatened a "range war" and his family and supporters are trying to physically stop the removal by blocking the federal vehicle with their bodies. Bundy's son was tasered and arrested as a result.

Bundy's family and supporters, and the fringe conservative media, are turning this a story of "the big bad government" terrorizing a poor innocent rancher. Stories are being spread of the government tyrants - see brotherdogs post above.

But the cold reality is that the this poor rancher has been gaming the system for decades, flaunting the law, and robbing the US taxpayer of over $1 million in revenue, and is now playing the victim when the law is finally enforced.

And now, partially as a result of the outrageous stories, and partially due to deep seated hatred of the federal government, armed "militia" from around the country are heading to this disputed piece of BLM land for an armed showdown with the federal government.

Gadfly Gadfly
Apr '14

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_dog

Darwin Darwin
Apr '14

Tensions reached a boiling point Wednesday after rangers tased Cliven Bundy's son Ammon Bundy twice, leaving bloody marks on his neck and chest.

Tensions increase as feds seize Nevada rancher's cattle

A sister to Cliven Bundy also told 8 News NOW that a BLM ranger hit her with his car.

Ammon Bundy is telling his supporters that federal rangers won't hesitate to go on the attack, if necessary.

"These are heavily armed individuals with fully automatic weapons," Ammon Bundy said.

For days, the land around the Bundy ranch has seemed somewhat like a police state to people in the community.

"Throwing women to the ground, tasing them, sicking K-9 dogs on them," Ernie Jessop, a protester from Utah, said.

There was one success for these protesters. The BLM took down the controversial First Amendment areas at the urging of Gov. Brian Sandoval.

Sandoval released the following statement Thursday afternoon:

"Earlier this week, I advised the BLM not to limit or hinder the constitutional rights of Nevadans and be mindful of its conduct. The ability to speak out against government actions is one of the freedoms we all cherish as Americans. Today I am asking all individuals who are near the situation to act with restraint. Although tensions remain high, escalation of current events could have negative, long lasting consequences that can be avoided."

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/25219828/more-protesters-arriving-to-support-bundy-in-blm-cattle-dispute

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

Perfectly summed up Gadfly.

But you forgot to refer to the BLM agents as thugs

Darwin Darwin
Apr '14

Nevada State Senator challenges the assumption of authority by BLM Rangers. Says they are 'unsworn' officers who have no jurisdiction or police powers in the state of Nevada. What country are we living in again?

quoted from the article linked above:

Nevada state Sen. Peter Goicoechea (R.) expressed concern that the federal government was exacerbating the problem.

“We have always challenged that BLM Rangers have no jurisdiction or police powers in the state of Nevada,” Goicoechea said. “They typically are an unsworn officer. And we had the case where a young man was shot a couple months ago at Red Rock by two BLM Rangers.”

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

Over 1000 protestors now.... as the story grows.... one of the militias who went say they went to "protect the protestors"....

Let's all pray this doesn't get violent, folks. And that doesn't mean the protestors backing down... it just means that whatever the outcome, it is settled peacefully. Because that means BOTH sides are willing to talk.

Otherwise, civil UNrest... but that's the nature of government.

Apr '14

Thank you gadfly. Why are people supporting Bundy? The people supporting Bundy appear to be extremely emotional and in my opinion brave, it is clearly a dangerous situation.

Happy Guy Happy Guy
Apr '14

"Why are people supporting Bundy?"

Maybe because they feel he has a case against an over-intrusive over-controlling govt, and if some of the stuff I posted is true (in the link above), then it's total corruption- all about the MONEY. Which makes it even more wrong.

Apr '14

Enjoy watching the police state you are rooting for.

Somehow, I think you would feel differently if the police state was doing this at a religious site, or fox news, or a tea party rally..... tsk tsk. Good for goose = good for the gander.

If this police state was doing this at CNN, or at an atheist site, or at a black panther rally, I would be as up-in-arms over it as I am now.

POLICE STATES ARE BAD. PERIOD. Someday some of you are going to wake up, but by then it'll be too late. This event is not JUST about this event. It is a symptom of a growing problem. It's going to happen more often in the future. Govt vs the people. Even when ALOT of the people show up to support the people. This is a symptom. Get used it, and be prepared for the disease that follows.

Apr '14

Happy Guy,

Some may take Bundy's word that he has some right to graze the land, despite the court decisions to the contrary. Some just hate the federal government and want to believe they're in the wrong, regardless of the facts.

Gadfly Gadfly
Apr '14

Sen. Harry Reid Behind BLM Land Grab of Bundy Ranch

The Bureau of Land Management, whose director was Sen. Harry Reid’s (D-Nev.) former senior adviser, has purged documents from its web site stating that the agency wants Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy’s cattle off of the land his family has worked for over 140 years in order to make way for solar panel power stations.

Deleted from BLM.gov but reposted for posterity by the Free Republic, the BLM document entitled “Cattle Trespass Impacts” directly states that Bundy’s cattle “impacts” solar development, more specifically the construction of “utility-scale solar power generation facilities” on “public lands.”

Another BLM report entitled Regional Mitigation Strategy for the Dry Lake Solar Energy Zone (BLM Technical Note 444) reveals that Bundy’s land in question is within the “Dry Lake Solar Energy Zone and surrounding area” which is part of a broad U.S. Department of Energy program for “Solar Energy Development in Six Southwestern States” on land “managed” by BLM.

Back in 2012, the New American reported that Harry Reid’s son, Rory Reid, was the chief representative for a Chinese energy firm planning to build a $5-billion solar plant on public land in Laughlin, Nevada.

And journalist Marcus Stern with Reuters also reported that Sen. Reid was heavily involved in the deal as well.

“[Reid] and his oldest son, Rory, are both involved in an effort by a Chinese energy giant, ENN Energy Group, to build a $5 billion solar farm and panel manufacturing plant in the southern Nevada desert,” he wrote. “Reid has been one of the project’s most prominent advocates, helping recruit the company during a 2011 trip to China and applying his political muscle on behalf of the project in Nevada.”

“His son, a lawyer with a prominent Las Vegas firm that is representing ENN, helped it locate a 9,000-acre (3,600-hectare) desert site that it is buying well below appraised value from Clark County, where Rory Reid formerly chaired the county commission.”

Although these reports are in plain view, the mainstream media has so far ignored this link.

The BLM’s official reason for encircling the Bundy family with sniper teams and helicopters was to protect the endangered desert tortoise, which the agency has previously been killing in mass due to “budget constraints.”

“A tortoise isn’t the reason why BLM is harassing a 67 year-old rancher; they want his land,” journalist Dana Loesch wrote. “The tortoise wasn’t of concern when [U.S. Senator] Harry Reid worked with BLM to literally change the boundaries of the tortoise’s habitat to accommodate the development of his top donor, Harvey Whittemore.”

“Reid is accused of using the new BLM chief as a puppet to control Nevada land (already over 84% of which is owned by the federal government) and pay back special interests,” she added. “BLM has proven that they’ve a situational concern for the desert tortoise as they’ve had no problem waiving their rules concerning wind or solar power development. Clearly these developments have vastly affected a tortoise habitat more than a century-old, quasi-homesteading grazing area.”

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

From the 8 News Now article that Brotherdog posted above...

"A sister to Cliven Bundy also told 8 News NOW that a BLM ranger hit her with his car."

Sounds violent, right? It's interesting b/c this interview is actually captured at the end of the video that JR posted above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhJ6H9vlEDA&list=UUYr9ruxjGbBB1MOpuU6tpAQ

What the women describes is getting in front of a slowly moving vehicle and then getting on the hood rather than letting it pass. She starts to explain how she steps in front of second vehicle before the video cuts out.

This behavior is not protected by the first amendment, and it is not simply peacefully standing on the road taking pictures as the conservative media keeps repeating.

As an aside, the video also captures a man making a call to 911 for medical assistance, not bc she needs help but bc he wants to "document" the incident. He also lies to dispatcher, stating that the injured party is a reporter.

Gadfly Gadfly
Apr '14

The U.S. Senate voted 71-28 on Tuesday to confirm the appointment of Neil Kornze to the post.

"Kornze joined the organization (BLM) in January 2011 as a Senior Advisor to the Director. "

"Before coming to the BLM, Kornze worked as a Senior Policy Advisor to U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada."

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

Thank you Gladfly, I appreciate your information. I hope I learn why these people are putting their lives on the line. Protests can become deadly extremely fast. I wish they could all back off and sort this out in a court of law or mediator. It would be so nice to hear both sides of the story and see a compromise reached. I feel like I'm watching a deadly train wreck in the making.

Happy Guy Happy Guy
Apr '14

Lol how dare the BLM not ask if they lady was a cancer patient as she was in the hood of her car before they removed her.

Darwin Darwin
Apr '14

“A tortoise isn’t the reason why BLM is harassing a 67 year-old rancher; they want his land,” journalist Dana Loesch wrote. “The tortoise wasn’t of concern when [U.S. Senator] Harry Reid worked with BLM to literally change the boundaries of the tortoise’s habitat to accommodate the development of his top donor, Harvey Whittemore.”

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

Darwin, I know what a police dog is and what the current mentality is about their treatment. I do believe I said I thought their special treatment was over the top, and to clarify it's my *opinion* that the view is purely emotional. Logically, treating a dog - or any animal for that matter - like a human being makes no sense whatsoever. Heck, we openly slaughter animals for food without so much as a second thought, like it's perfectly natural to kill and snuff out the life of a fellow living creature, so making the leap to treating dogs like humans is especially perplexing to me. IMO of course.

I agree Gadfly, it looks like some people are intentionally trying to instigate a confrontation. It doesn't matter who's wrong or right at this point. Only bad things can come from that kind of behavior.

justintime justintime
Apr '14

, "it looks like some people

[ON BOTH SIDES]

are intentionally trying to instigate a confrontation. It doesn't matter who's wrong or right at this point. Only bad things can come from that kind of behavior."

fixed it for ya ;)

That's my point: regardless of who's right or wrong (and it appears that there is right and wrong on BOTH sides of this one, (altho you all know how I feel about big, controlling, instrusive govt), sooner or later shots WILL be fired, and if those shots come from the govt first, all hell is going to break loose.

What I object to more than anything is the way the govt is HANDLING this- snipers? Really? "First Amendment areas"? Go eff yourself.

Apr '14

No-fly zone established over Bundy Ranch

http://www.conservativefiringline.com/faa-declares-bundy-ranch-fly-zone/

Report claims cell towers shut down around Bundy Ranch

http://www.examiner.com/article/report-claims-cell-towers-bundy-ranch-area-shut-down

Is there something coming they don't want the American people to see or hear?

Apr '14

Is Harry Reid behind this land grab because he is involved with a Chinese energy deal? His connections with BLM (through a high ranking staff member of his team) got 'tortise sancuary moved to make room for the energy project? That the Bundy's are just collateral damage in another naked grab for power and influence by 'Dirty' Harry?

In 2012, the New American reported that Harry Reid’s son, Rory Reid, was the chief representative for a Chinese energy firm planning to build a $5-billion solar plant on public land in Laughlin, Nevada.

Journalist Marcus Stern with Reuters reported that Sen. Reid was heavily involved in the deal as well.

“[Reid] and his oldest son, Rory, are both involved in an effort by a Chinese energy giant, ENN Energy Group, to build a $5 billion solar farm and panel manufacturing plant in the southern Nevada desert,” he wrote. “Reid has been one of the project’s most prominent advocates, helping recruit the company during a 2011 trip to China and applying his political muscle on behalf of the project in Nevada.”

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

Interesting thing I just heard. Some one just said the government owns 82% of the land in Nevada. It sure is interesting that Senator Harry Reed is from there. The facts that are coming out on both sides is food for thought. I think the main problem is the distrust and break down of the court system where money talk's and we walk The Judicatory makes law instead of judging based on the Constitution. They now suggest how to fix laws to there liking. We sure are Progressing from freedom to being surf's fast.

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '14

Every person on this thread is missing one important fact...

First, my uncle is a cattle rancher in Miller, South Dakota so I understand this issue as my uncle is fighting the same thing only over government owned crops that his steer are not allowed to go near. Although he's not in the spotlight and it hasn't escalated to this point...yet. Why the FEDERAL government is planting "special GMO crops" is a whole other thread...

The problem is NOT that Mr. Bundy does "not want to pay" to have his cattle graze on the public land adjoining his property at all. He has been paying - just not to the FEDERAL government - because according to the Constitution (here we go again with that pesky document), the land use tax should be paid to the STATE.

Mr. Bundy has been paying his fees to Clark County, Nevada in an arrangement pre-dating the BLM. The BLM arrived MUCH later, changed the rules, and came up with some BS about "turtles" without talking to anybody. Then they started driving his cattle off the land (with gunshots) without any warning or discussion. Mr. Bundy refused to pay after the feds suddenly demanded he reduce his heard’s head count and stay off all public land. Also, Mr. Bundy OWNS the "water and forage rights" to this land, which he does pay the Federal gov for (as does my uncle who pays A LOT for those rights). He paid for these rights every year. He built all the fences, established all the water ways, and constructed roads and two bridges - all with his own money and with permit approval from Nevada and BLM. When BLM started to run him off the land and harassing him he stopped paying entirely. I don't blame him.

Also, the WHOLE reason this started had NOTHING to do with turtles (turtles and cows can coexist just fine), it's because they want to put solar panels up on this land (guess all that digging and big machinery and trucks are safer for turtles than grazing cows??).

This is more about the FEDERAL government once again overstepping their Constitutional bounds, abusing their power, taking the rights away from an American Citizen and for what...solar panels that are going to cost the US taxpayer billions of dollars by the time everyone gets their cut?

For those who blame the Bundy's...I'd like to know what YOU would do if the FEDERAL government suddenly assessed a "special tax" on your property (over and above your state property taxes) and then told you you could only use 1/8 of your yard - even though you are paying both state and now federal tax - so they can put a cell tower on the property. Don't be fooled, it can happen to you through imminent domain, because you have no greater right to your back yard than Mr. Bundy has over his grazing fields. None of us really "own" our property if the government wants it. Just think about that for a minute.

emily1 emily1
Apr '14

Emily, Refer to my earlier post. O Conner was the deciding vote on imminent domain
Change the law. You know as well as I do all our rights are slowly being taken away. Lately this kind of action was approved by Justice Sandra Day O'Conner as a parting gift

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '14

*UPDATE: Those who say Bundy is a “deadbeat” are making inaccurate claims. Bundy has in fact paid fees to Clark County, Nevada in an arrangement pre-dating the BLM. The BLM arrived much later, changed the details of the setup without consulting with Bundy — or any other rancher — and then began systematically driving out cattle and ranchers. Bundy refused to pay BLM, especially after they demanded he reduce his heard’s head count down to a level that would not sustain his ranch. Bundy OWNS the water and forage rights to this land. He paid for these rights. He built fences, established water ways, and constructed roads with his own money, with the approval of Nevada and BLM. When BLM started using his fees to run him off the land and harassing him, he ceased paying. So should BLM reimburse him for managing the land and for the confiscation of his water and forage rights?

http://allenwestrepublic.com/2014/04/11/the-real-story-behind-the-bundy-ranch-harassment-with-dana-show-dloesch/#KuXLdhlf4HPx4ZGZ.99

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

Emily,

it looks like you're plagiarizing again. The third paragraph is taken directly from:

http://allenwestrepublic.com/2014/04/11/the-real-story-behind-the-bundy-ranch-harassment-with-dana-show-dloesch/#KuXLdhlf4HPx4ZGZ.99

I didn't bother checking where the rest of your post was "cut and pasted" from.

Moreover, you're just plain wrong. The federal government has owned this land since 1848. Bundy never owned the land so there are absolutely no eminent domaine issues. Bundy has not paid the Feds for his grazing lease and he certainly has not paid them for "forage and water" rights, which is a confused misinterpretation of one of Mr. Bundy's statements.

Gadfly Gadfly
Apr '14

"Bundy has in fact paid fees to Clark County, Nevada in an arrangement pre-dating the BLM"

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

I'd like to know what YOU would do if the FEDERAL government suddenly assessed a "special tax" on your property....because you have no greater right to your back yard than Mr. Bundy has over his grazing fields"

it's not his property, not his grazing fields, he has been using it but he does not own the land. There is a big difference between what he is doing on someone else's land and what you are trying to scare us to think what can happen on our own property where we own the deed to.

darwin darwin
Apr '14

You know nothing about ranching Gadfly. You "own" the right to graze your cattle (or in the example of a corn farm, to plant on that land). You are responsible to maintain the land, repair roads, bridges and tend to trees and waterways. My uncle just last year spent over $62,000 on dredging and re-routing a river on federal land that he uses for his cattle. And now the governemnt (the FEDERAL government NOT the state of South Dakota) is saying he can't use the land starting this season because they are planting (why are THEY - the government - planting anything???) experimental GMO crops and my uncle now has nowhere to graze his cattle after his family has grazed their cattle, maintained the peoperty, spent mega-bucks on repairs and upkeep, paid state and local taxes, grain tax, etc, etc. He's the next one you will se on TV if this thing doesn't get straightened out.

I know you always think you are right and know everything about every issue - but on this one you are just wrong.

My question (not to you...just in general) is why the FEDERAL government would even WANT to do this to ranchers and farmers. If you follow this stuff at all it appears that Washington wants to get rid of all cattle ranches and private farms by deciding they can't use public land or just taxing them out of being able to affors to use the land.

I really want to figure out WHY this is happening so much lately. Most of these ranches and farms have been around for 100's of years and suddenly they are bad and have to pay fees and fines and lose land to turtles, solar panels, GMO crops, wind mills, etc.

You can sit on here and try to "catch" people "plagiarizing," (I guess your the post police, haha!), I have seen you do it to others if they forget to put citations (who cares anyway - I don't), instead of learning something from their post you bash it.

emily1 emily1
Apr '14

"First, my uncle is a cattle rancher in Miller, South Dakota so I understand this issue as my uncle is fighting the same thing only over government owned crops that his steer are not allowed to go near. Although he's not in the spotlight and it hasn't escalated to this point...yet. Why the FEDERAL government is planting "special GMO crops" is a whole other thread..."

He fights the lonely fight because no one in Miller is talking about it. You can search almost any way you want, it must be all censored.

Probably muzzled the liberal biased Miller press.....

http://themillerpress.com/pages/?s=federal&x=0&y=0

Got any source material for the Uncle?

Apr '14

Darwin...you also don't understand grazing rights. I NEVER once said Mr. Bundy owned the federal land - not once. But a rancher "owns" the grazing rights.

You should look up the laws pertaining to ranchers and how their fees, taxes and responsibilities to the land were SUPPOSED to work and have worked for 100's of years.

As an example for you about your own property...here's one: My dad owns a cabin in Montana that was built in the 1700's, it's set way back from the road (over a mile) with no road frontage. The ONLY way to get to the house is to go through a plot of government owned land (not sure if its state or federal). Even though he doesn't OWN the property he has an easment and pays every year to USE that plot. He also put in and maintains the road (by permit), takes care of the property (mows, weeds, plows, prunes trees, etc). If the government decided that all of a sudden dad could not use that land to get to his house because of some turtles or solar panels would that be right?

Why can't Mr. Bundy keep grazing his cattle AND they put solar panels up? Why would my dad have to stop using the road if some turtles were hatching or if the government wanted to put up solar panels - can't they coexist? Seems fishy to me.

emily1 emily1
Apr '14

I really don't understand the people on here that are for the government doing this. These ranchers were supposed to be allowed to use "our" land to graze their cattle. It should be free. All through history it was. My uncle's family didn't pay ANYTHING for many years until around the 1970's - then it just got worse and worse and more expensive and more intrusive - to the point where we are getting our beef from Austrailia and other countries (read the labels when you go to Shoprite). Don't you (Ganfly and Darwin mostly) care about this at all? Don't you see the encroachment on everything that once was?

Don't you think the government should make it easier and cheaper for ranchers, farmers, factory owners instead of treating them like the enemy and taxing, fining and fighting them every step of the way? All our farms are shutting down and being bought by China, our manufacturing got taxed and unionized out to India and China, our ranchers are being taxed and fined to death and losing their land inch-by-inch for GMO crops, windmills, solar panels, etc.

And Gadfly and Darwin want to argue semantics...?

Everyone should be up in arms over this to me.

emily1 emily1
Apr '14

So if emily can't cite some source to prove her "uncle story" she's a liar? Wow.... guilty until proven innocent, I guess.

But then that's apparently what the people voted for in this version of ameriKa.

Apr '14

Semantics? You don't know what you're talking about. We're providing facts, while you're stealing language from poorly written editorials and telling irrelevant stories.

And by the way, the grazing fees that Bundy refuses to pay are insanely cheap. It's $1.35 per month per animal. It's many times more expensive to feed a pet, than raise a cow on federal land. It's also telling that the Nevada Cattleman's Association is not backing Bundy. Why? Probably because they're law abiding and pay their fees.

Gadfly Gadfly
Apr '14

Darwin...you also don't understand grazing rights. I NEVER once said Mr. Bundy owned the federal land - not once. But a rancher "owns" the grazing rights

that is my issue, he does not own the land, yet you go to the extreme in order to rile people up with lines like this :....because you have no greater right to your back yard than Mr. Bundy has over his grazing fields"

That is so not even close to being true. Plesae stick with FACTs and leave emotions out of it. The facts are this man has refused to pay fed fees for 20 yrs.

darwin darwin
Apr '14

"because you have no greater right to your back yard than Mr. Bundy has over his grazing fields"

If the discussion were about eminent domain darwin, and Htown wanted to take your back yard to add to public recreation land for example, would Emily's statement be accurate? I agree that a lot of what's been said is a stretch, but the common theme in both cases is the government stepping in to take something. I personally think eminent domain is much more serious, but I can grasp the parallels.

justintime justintime
Apr '14

"We're providing facts, while you're stealing language from poorly written editorials and telling irrelevant stories."

Hmm, how often have I heard that one before? ;-)

Bottom line is that you accept the authority of the government to do whatever it is they choose. Others don't. The proper way to deal with this is through the court system, but the courts of late seem to be nothing more than a rubber stamp of the governments authority. I can fully understand the frustration, but I don't agree with their methods.

justintime justintime
Apr '14

I agree that Bundy is totally in the wrong, but like all issues, follow the money. Who is the most powerful Man in Nevada that has 80% of there land owned by the Government. Seems its a little bit strange to me that no grand fathering was specifically written in the law for a situation like this with so many long time renters and they only eat the grass.
IMO

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '14

But JIT, in this case the government has not taken anything. Its owned the land since 1848.

Gadfly Gadfly
Apr '14

How would you refer to revoking the grazing rights? Is that not "taking" something away? Certainly Bundy no longer has access to something he had previously.

justintime justintime
Apr '14

Speaking of facts, here's an interesting one. The most recent judgement against Bundy was a summary judgement. This is interesting because it means that the court ruled that even if all of the matters of facts in Bundy's claim were "viewed in the light most favorable" to his his claim, his argument is not valid as a matter of law. In other words his legal argument for "rights" to graze the land are simply not supported by the law.

Gadfly Gadfly
Apr '14

"If the discussion were about eminent domain darwin, and Htown wanted to take your back yard to add to public recreation land for example, would Emily's statement be accurate?"

No because if this was about eminent domain then i would be compensated a fair market value if HTown wanted to take my land for public use. It's my land and they would be required to pay me for it. Big difference then in this case where he does not OWN the land in question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eminent_domain#Bush_executive_order

darwin darwin
Apr '14

JIT, he never had grazing rights. He had (or his family had) a grazing lease, which was cancelled after he refused to pay his rent. If you stopped paying your rent, and after twenty years of nonpayment the landlord finally evicted you, would you say that something was "taken" from you?

Gadfly Gadfly
Apr '14

But the point, I think, was that you don't really "own" your land. You are allowed to keep it based on whatever law happens to be on the books at the time, compensation or not. You are referring to the law as it stands today, just as Bundy is referring to the law as it was years ago. Things changed for him and he doesn't like it. Who's to say that the law won't change again regarding eminent domain?

BTW, I'm playing devil's advocate here. I've already stated above that I think Bundy is going about this the wrong way.

justintime justintime
Apr '14

Gadfly, is the timeline presented in one of the links on this thread? At this point I'm not sure what to believe, except to continue to keep an open mind.

justintime justintime
Apr '14

JIT,

Perhaps this will help.

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/nv/field_offices/las_vegas_field_office/cattle_trespass.Par.0116.File.dat/Dkt%2035%20Order%20Granting%20MSJ%207-9-13.pdf

Gadfly Gadfly
Apr '14

No, I didn't call Emily a liar. I just couldn't find supporting evidence re: her story. But now actually I probably have in that most Nevada cattlemen, pardon the pun, have some beef or another with the BLM.

Guaranteed there is conflict between the BLM, BLM rules and regs, and Nevada cattlemen including Emily's Uncle. Currently, they are debating the sage grouse future and the cattlemen fear Eastern stupidity will overrule Western pragmatism. The Nevada Cattlemen's Association leader lobbies against BLM actions in almost every one of his monthly messages as being against Western and US interests.

Those grievances are real and continue to be debating and decided through government process and legal cases. That is right. Bundy's real grievance at the heart of the matter, is that he is a thief and he got caught.

I would gather Nevada cattlemen, of which Bundy claims he is the last, both revere Bundy in his fight with BLM and hate his thieving ways at the same time. For Bundy is a thief, not a Tortoise killer, who steals from the people and his neighbors as well. While the public money is a drop in our national coffers, the theft from his neighbors cuts a little closer to home. While other Nevada cattlemen, most of whom graze on public lands, pay grazing fees and have to include said fees in the cost of their cattle, Bundy does not. He steals it and has been stealing it since 1993. He does not have to incorporate those grazing costs when he sells his beef giving the thief an unfair advantage over his competition.

He was found guilty --- twice, and now his cattle are being confiscated. He claims he can steal because he does not recognize the Federal Government since Nevada and he were there first. Strange, the Indians made that same claim.... But he has been found guilty, he is a thief, and now his property is being seized for restitution.

The rest is just hoopla and agenda.

Apr '14

JIT - Well that explains a lot. Are you the second person representing the Devil pro bono or did you sell your soul?

Ok Gadfly...I guess you're one of those who actually believe the government. I guess that's why we will never agree on anything. Every single article, judgement, lawsuit, statistic, etc you use to prove your point is FROM THE GOVERNMENT or is on the side of the government. Personally, if I recieved a memo from Obama himself that the sky is blue I would have to look out the window, just to make sure.

I have in the 16 years I have been alive seen my family (and me) pay more taxes, have rights taken away, are in a fight for my guns to be left alone, have witnessed the government encroach on farmers, ranchers (my uncle included - sorry he's not on the national news yet -- but wait, I thought you said that's not the way to go about it? Now you want him to do what Mr. Bundy did??) and businesses.

I guess the fact that we are coming from two different mindsets (you trust the government and probably accept stuff from them and me, not so much - I don't trust them and don't want anything they have to offer, thanks). I cite facts and examples and you post government propoganda and the lawsuit against this guy as your "proof." Sorry, but I don't believe anything in any of it. They have filed bogus suits against many people over the years.

I wish I had some rose colored glasses too - but I see what I see.

emily1 emily1
Apr '14

That was the link to the judgement Gadfly, thanks. What about the case information? Have you come across that at all? I looked for a bit but didn't find anything.

justintime justintime
Apr '14

BLD? Say what? A little more detail please...

justintime justintime
Apr '14

BLM is pulling out.

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/25230368/major-development-in-bunkerville-cattle-battle-between-cliven-bundy-and-blm

Apr '14

Here's the 1998 Judgement with more information. If you search the site for "cliven bundy", you'll find a lot of the documents.

http://www.scribd.com/mobile/doc/217770195

Gadfly Gadfly
Apr '14

Excellent Gadfly, thanks so much. Given the timing I'm surprised that it took the BLM this long to act.

justintime justintime
Apr '14

Just an FYI Gadfly, I can file a lawsuit against you today and say you trespassed on my property, you assaulted me, that you raped me -- doesn't have to be true. I can file and post the complaint online saying, "See Gadfly did this, heres proof." Not proof.

The government has been known to file lawsuits against their enemies with trumped up, even made up charges. Still using the governments own words. If you want the real truth don't listen to the government. That's where (in my opinion) witnesses and some of the people who are privy to this case come in.

emily1 emily1
Apr '14

http://www.infowars.com/breaking-cliven-bundy-to-meet-with-clark-co-sheriff/

On Saturday, Clark County Sheriff Douglas C. Gillespie announced that the Bureau of Land Management would cease their persecution of cattle rancher Cliven Bundy. He also stated that Bundy’s cattle would be allowed to graze on the land.
In an emotional response, Bundy presented the Sheriff with an ultimatum, stating he had one hour to disarm the federal agency, to bring the arms to the protest site to be destroyed, and to remove their barricades.

LVMom
Apr '14

http://abcnews.go.com/US/nevada-cattle-rancher-wins-range-war-federal-government/story?id=23302610

Nevada Cattle Rancher Wins 'Range War' With Feds

LVMom
Apr '14

Good job gadfly. Maybe Mr. Bundy should have hired a lawyer instead of defending himself. His defense strategy was no very good. He's whole agreement was the fed court had no jurisdiction? Funny how that was shot don't numerous times during that case

Darwin Darwin
Apr '14

Yay! And BTW someone said my uncle from Nevada - my uncle is a rancher in South Dakota. He is having issues like this too, only for a different reason. But federal government BS as well. He has NO problems with the state or county and pays.

What they are trying to do to him will make him have to give up his ranch because he will have nowhere to graze his herd. He's been fighting this since last October.

Now that he saw this, maybe he will be then next one on TV with a militia!

emily1 emily1
Apr '14

emily1 - Those were not lawsuits gadfly posted. Those are the Judgements with a summary of the suit, and then the final ruling. In those cases, Bundy lost all of them, going all the way back to 1993.

Darwin - That wasn't the really funny part. Did you read "Bundy’s contentions that the observed cattle bearing his brand may not in fact be his own"? Now that's a funny joke right there.

Those documents are full of little tidbits like he never even paid Clark Co like he claimed. He made the attempt to, but they returned his check. Even then the payment was for only 85 cattle when he had over 350 just in what they impounded. Plus his own law suit filings gave testimony Bundy was taking his cattle to lands other than what he had the grazing rights for. (and that's presuming it was before the time his rights were nullified)

jit - I agree a lot with what you said. There's bad behavior on both sides, but in the end Bundy gets to graze if he pays, and the US should not have some trespasser on their land. Anyone who isn't a lawyer specifically reviewing all the details there's no way to tell who's up or what's down. All blown out of proportion as a simple land matter.

He did not win; he is still a convicted thief; the government just ceased operations for now in light of public safety. Shouldn't shoot each other over cows and tortoises. Too many guns coming in with too many different agendas. My goodness, they even kicked a dog.

I am not sure who this is a victory for.

What should they do when someone refuses to pay for use of public lands especially when that person talks guns and threatens to use them?

I mean what should happen to this guy? Should he just keep using the land for free when everyone else pays for the common good?

Apr '14

Forgetting about Mr. Bundy for a minute...generally speaking, WHY should a farmer or a rancher have to pay the government to let their cattle graze or their corn grow if said farmer or rancher is responsible for all upkeep, water issues, road or bridge building, tree care, etc, etc?

That would be like renting a house and the landlord saying you are responsible for the roof if it needs replacement, the boiler if it blows, the trees if they have to be removed, the driveway replacement if it cracks, the plumbing if it leaks, etc...oh and you have to pay rent too.

Used to be when you "leased" land for grazing or farming you paid a small amount of property tax and managed the land as your pay. Now the government wants these guys to take care of the land, watch for turtles AND pay.

Seems unfair to me - but you call these farmers/ranchers "theives" if they get sick of it and stop paying.

emily1 emily1
Apr '14

is harry reid's solor pwer deal part of the reason the BLM decided now was the time to clear the cattle?

"In December, Clark County commissioners voted unanimously to sell up to 9,000 acres of public land to the subsidiary at pennies on the dollar"

from a 2012 reuters story-

(Reuters) - U.S. Senator Harry Reid recognized nine years ago that connections between his official duties and the lobbying activities of his relatives could lead to ethical questions.

In 2003, the Nevada Democrat publicly banned relatives from lobbying him or his staff after newspaper reports showed that Nevada industries and institutions routinely turned to Reid's sons or son-in-law for representation.

Now, questions surrounding family ties are flaring again in Nevada around the Senate majority leader. He and his oldest son, Rory, are both involved in an effort by a Chinese energy giant, ENN Energy Group, to build a $5 billion solar farm and panel manufacturing plant in the southern Nevada desert.

Reid has been one of the project's most prominent advocates, helping recruit the company during a 2011 trip to China and applying his political muscle on behalf of the project in Nevada. His son, a lawyer with a prominent Las Vegas firm that is representing ENN, helped it locate a 9,000-acre (3,600-hectare) desert site that it is buying well below appraised value from Clark County, where Rory Reid formerly chaired the county commission.

Craig Holman, a lobbyist for the non-partisan advocacy group Public Citizen, said the senator is dealing with "an iffy ethical landscape" because of the family connections and should recuse himself from the project. "Is this just happening because ... it benefits the Reid family, or did Harry Reid actually believe in this?" Holman said.

The senator has supported numerous clean energy projects in Nevada. Rory Reid cites energy as one of his specialty areas at the law firm.

The two Reids deny discussing the ENN project.

"I have never discussed the project with my father or his staff," said Rory Reid. Kristen Orthman, a spokeswoman for the senator, said he had not discussed the project with his son.

The Langfang, China-based ENN Energy Group hopes to build what would be the largest solar energy complex in America. The site chosen with Rory Reid's guidance is in tiny Laughlin, Nevada, a gambling town of 7,300 along the Colorado River, 90 miles south of Las Vegas.

County officials have said that they were so thrilled to recruit a company to the area, with the prospect of thousands of new local jobs, that they were eager to negotiate.

ENN is headed by Chinese energy tycoon Wang Yusuo, who made a fortune estimated by Forbes at $2.2 billion distributing natural gas in China. Wang escorted Reid and a delegation of nine other U.S. senators on a tour of the company's clean energy operations in Langfang, and Reid featured Wang as a speaker at his 4th annual National Clean Energy Summit in Las Vegas last year.

NEVADA'S LARGEST LAW FIRM

To advance the Nevada project, ENN retained the state's largest and most prestigious law firm - Lionel Sawyer & Collins, where Rory Reid works. It is headed by Richard Bryan, a former Nevada attorney general, governor and member of the U.S. Senate.

Rory Reid faced a one-year cooling off period from lobbying the Clark County commission after leaving his post in January 2011, and Bryan took the lead on ENN's negotiations with the county.

Since the one-year ban expired, Rory Reid has been ENN's primary representative before the county, according to Steve Sisolak, the board's vice chairman.

Rory Reid acknowledged representing ENN at both the county and state levels since January. He declined to discuss the project otherwise.

Two months after Harry Reid's China trip, Lionel Sawyer registered ENN Mohave Energy LLC as an American subsidiary of the Chinese company. The firm negotiated with the county to buy the land rather than lease it, as the county's staff had recommended.

.In December, Clark County commissioners voted unanimously to sell up to 9,000 acres of public land to the subsidiary at pennies on the dollar

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/31/us-usa-china-reid-solar-idUSBRE87U06D20120831

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

Just saw one of the Bundy's on the news saying the government needs to get off of his land???

I have been enjoying the view of the fish hatchery in my back yard for well over a decade now, so I think it's time for me to enjoy some easy fishing in my personal fish pond.

Denis Denis
Apr '14

Emily1 - Obviously you have never heard of a triple net lease. Google it.

ok, i had to look it up, from investopedia -

Definition of 'Triple Net Lease'

A lease agreement that designates the lessee (the tenant) as being solely responsible for all of the costs relating to the asset being leased in addition to the rent fee applied under the lease. The structure of this type of lease requires the lessee to pay for net real estate taxes on the leased asset, net building insurance and net common area maintenance. The lessee has to pay the net amount of three types of costs, which how this term got its name.

This type of lease can also be referred to as a "net-net-net lease" or a "hell or high water lease".

Investopedia Says
Investopedia explains 'Triple Net Lease'

For example, if a property owner leases out a building to a business using a triple net lease, the tenant will be responsible for paying the building's property taxes, building insurance and the cost of any maintenance or repairs the building may require during the term of the lease. Because the tenant is covering these costs (which would otherwise be the responsibility of the property owner), the rent charged in the triple net lease is generally lower than the rent charged in a standard lease agreement.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/n/netnetnet.asp

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

Like I said , Brother Dog. Follow the money.

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '14

Fuel for the Bundy crowd:

The following web page was recently removed from the BLS website (the date of the archived page is April 3, 4014):

http://www.blm.gov/nv/st/en/fo/lvfo/blm_programs/more/trespass_cattle/cattle_trespass_impacts.html

It can still be found archived here, just paste the above link into the "I want to search the archive for saved snapshots" search box then click the resulting image:

http://archive.is/

Bundy chatter thinks this link will go dead soon. I don't see why, it's not earth shattering in any way. We'll see.

Basically, it describes several projects that are being impacted by Bundy being on the land - the "ulterior motive" that some have been pushing. One of them is the Dry Lake Solar Energy Zone, which includes the "USFWS Desert Tortoise Recovery Plan" I suspect has been thrown about by Bundy supporters.

A final link merely shows the Gold Butte area as the prime candidate for the planned Dry Lake mitigation.

http://www.ntc.blm.gov/krc/uploads/704/5.0_RegionalMitigationTranscript_DRYLAKE__09-13.pdf

I don't know, but there is at the least some sort of connection. It would be interesting to follow it deeper, but that's too much for me lol.

justintime justintime
Apr '14

That one site show's he is not a very responsible neighbor.
http://archive.is/

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '14

JIT,

I read that page on the BLM site just yesterday. It looks like they took it down along with the page that gave the daily totals on how many beeves were rounded up. Perhaps they took it down when they decided to conclude the eviction.

But what is the issue? Doesn't it make sense that a mitigation project would be done where too many cattle have damaged the habitat? Wouldn't it also make sense to do such a project where there isn't a legitimate grazing lease? Moreover, there are surely other areas where a mitigation project could be done. So, I don't get it....where's the beef?

Gadfly Gadfly
Apr '14

Gadfly, the Gold Butte area is a supposedly very similar habitat to the Dry Lake area. Although I didn't read the exact words, my take is that wildlife would be moved from Dry Lake to Gold Butte because of how severely the Dry Lake landscape would change due to the installation of the solar farm. The "mitigation" is from Dry Lake to Gold Butte. I assume, again, that the cattle may be changing the habitat in Gold Butte, making it less attractive for the mitigation of Dry Lake.

Yes, there were other areas being considered but Gold Butte was at the top of the list. Page 4 in the last link I posted discusses this.

I'm only posting this as a possible basis for Bundy's position, not as any type of justification. I have no idea if any of it is related at all.

justintime justintime
Apr '14

"wildlife would be moved from Dry Lake to Gold Butte because of how severely the Dry Lake landscape would change due to the installation of the solar farm. "

that's the driving force , just follow the money and the influence peddlers, Harry Reid, his son Rory Reid the Chinese billionaire and the solar farm project,

little guys like the Bundy Family just happen to be in the way of these 'progressives', and must be eliminated, they have no rights and no representation.

'lean forward' ? hardly.

follow the money to find out what caused this whole mess

another question: Has the Obama administration declared 'war' on beef just like they declared 'war' on the coal industry? the first lady is all about everyone eating salad and giving up meat correct? (esp public school children) less beef for her means a healthier society so beef now becomes one of the new enemies. If they can get the BLM to issue new 'habitat mitigation' regulations and raise land use fees, they drive up the cost of beef, and they drive out of business small ranchers. higher beef costs, fewer beef producers will cause average middle class Americans to make other choices at the grocery store.

follow the money . . . . . .

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

Actually Bundy's position is that he does not need to pay for grazing rights; he tried to pay the state in 1994 a less-than-fair amount instead of the Fed and they sent the check back: he kept it.

While the turtle may come back into play now, really it's just a regulatory nuisance as is the sage grouse and many other protected species that farmers have to deal with especially to use public land. Public land is multiple use by definition and must be shared at the supposed optimum benefit to the people. Frankly when the laws went in place the tortoise was threatened (and thus the laws), it is now over populated in some areas (thus the euthanasia stories).

So now, due to civilian jack-booted thugs with guns, he saves the $1M in back fees, we lose a million or so in sunk cost failing to confiscate his cows for lack of payment, and, for now, Bundy continues to get a free handout from the government essentially living on the government dole. Ironic for a constituency that abhors taking things from the government. Guess cattlemen welfare cheats are OK if done by the barrel of a gun.

And the lesson learned: if you don't like it and you can get others to agree, just break out the guns to get your way. Wonder who's next to try to get their way due to friends with guns.

So what's it all about? Tortoises -- not really. State's rights --- not really. He who gets there first owns it --- not really. It's about money. The fee charged: $1.35 per month per cow/calf pair. That's best case, $607.50 per month or $7,290 per year for Mr. Bundy, worse case $1,215mth/$14,580yr. (how the government gets to $1M is beyond me since 20 times (for 20 years) the worse case = $300K....)

Using a North Dakota Ranch Guide, cows are worth about $900 per cow and pasture costs about $216 per year ---- per cow/calf pair on the open market. Winter feed would run $504 per year....per cow. Feedlots are cheaper at about $200 per year per cow. So if Bundy does not need winter feed, he's at $16 per year per cow/calf pair for grazing or since that's too much for him, free-grazing.

So a man sitting on roughly $800,000 of cow can't pay bargain rates to graze them on public land.

http://www.farmandranchguide.com/news/livestock/what-s-a-cow-worth-determining-the-value-of-a/article_94e22c5a-4601-11e1-8214-0019bb2963f4.html

Sure it sounds like nothing, but after over 20 years it's between $300,000 (Bundy's number) and $1M (Fed number) that we are really talking about so suddenly state's rights become the mantra of the day.

From the 1998 ruling, the Bundy's paid BLM for grazing from 1954 to 1993 so apparently the state's rights epiphany was a later thought. In 1993, Bundy claimed "vested rights" so he didn't have to pay anymore. That's the initial battle cry which is clearly a "I am not paying you the cash no more" argument. In the summer of 1993, Bundy claimed the federal government had no jurisdiction over public lands which is really just another twist to "I ain't payin no more." And the battle was on. BLM filing trespass notices, Bundy ripping them up and accusing harassment, Bundy sending $2,000 to the County a year and a half later (covers 85 cows for one year, he has 900 today and he was over 18 months in arrears).

In court in 1998 Bundy claimed to be a citizen of Nevada and not the United States but, of course, this is not a valid argument for the court. Bundy then goes to the tortoise saying it will end ranching in Nevada (apparently proven not true over a decade later). The court remind Bundy that grazing, with tortoise, is allowed and that's not what is being decided, and that IF tortoise does restrict grazing, then he is not charged for grazing. Bundy then alleges the BLM does not have authority to make a full force and effect decision, the judge says the law says otherwise.

The judge issues a summary judgment basically concluding that none of Bundy's arguments have legal merit. Not enough merit to go to trial by jury. There is much said about allegations without supporting facts.

So, you be the judge. Are we citizens of our state, the United States or both? If we pay for something for awhile, and use it for even longer for free --- is it ours? If the Fed buys land, does it belong to the State? If you don't like a regulation, should you stop paying for services? Do you see a patriot or a thief?

Apr '14

I think the point we've been drilling down to is that there may be a reason to finally enforce the order - solar power development in the area. IMO the question isn't Bundy's grazing rights - that seems to have long since been established - it's about enforcing a long standing order to allow development in the area.

justintime justintime
Apr '14

I think the Bundy case was not a good issue to be rallied around. It dose show the underlying civil unrest in the country that's not a very hopeful condition.

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '14

JIT --- you got to be kidding me; of all the factoids available, you choose to go with the conspiracy theory? It's a myth busted by BreitBart of all shows. Pretty good article summing up everything from the tortoise to Mr. Bundy's transgressions.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/04/12/The-Saga-of-Bundy-Ranch

I do agree with Old Gent that our civil unrest is not hopeful if a bunch of cows owned by a scofflaw can elicit this response.

Apr '14

just follow the money and the influence peddlers, Harry Reid, his son Rory Reid the Chinese billionaire and the solar farm project,

poor families with few resources and little influence are easy to brush aside, if you look hard enough there are enough laws on the books to bring up anyone of us on some kind of Federal 'beef'.

the power brokers in Nevada know this, Harry Reid using the BLM (by using his son Rory Reed as his proxy) to further his own personal agenda needs to be fully vetted

there seems to be a federal war on ranchers, farmers and other small town folk who cannot defend themselves in court,

we have more government than is good for us.

for the record i do think this Bundy guy is kind of kooky, but last i checked that's not against the law, yet.

also the ruby ridge guy was an odd duck, and the Waco guy was a little bit off the norm, seems like the government is not tolerant of people who are different than 'normal'

and i'll say it again, city boys don't understand these people, and they don't want to. i'm tired of the elitism and intolerance they display on a daily basis.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

What misterg? You don't think that an incentive to finally enforce the order is realistic? I'm not referring to any "conspiracy" theory (here we go again) but rather looking for a reason why it took so gosh darn long to enforce the original order. Perhaps because there was no urgency, something that may be changing due to development going on in the area? What is so conspiratory about that?

Reread what I've written. I think you are confused.

justintime justintime
Apr '14

JIT, i don't believe the federal government was granted injunctive relief with authority to seize the trespassing cattle until a few months ago, no?

Gadfly Gadfly
Apr '14

"I think the Bundy case was not a good issue to be rallied around. It dose show the underlying civil unrest in the country that's not a very hopeful condition."

I think that's a perfect summary- especially the last sentence. A powder keg. Dangerous.

Apr '14

Gadfly, OK. I'm not understanding the point you trying to make.

justintime justintime
Apr '14

You referred to the long delay in enforcing the order. The previous orders found in favor of the federal government and ordered that Bundy remove the herd. However, the federal government was not authorized to physically remove the animals until just recently.

Also, the former director of the Lake Meade National Recreation Area is on record saying that he and others were ordered not to pursue the matter because of the likelihood of a violent confrontation, which of course proved to be justified.

Gadfly Gadfly
Apr '14

Gadfly, right, we agree. Still not sure what the issue is.

Is it because I said the impetus for finally pursuing the order *may* (yes, speculation but based on what Bundy supporters have said) be due to the desire to use the Gold Butte land for another use, the mitigation area for Dry Lake?

justintime justintime
Apr '14

btw misterg, if you think the issue is about cows you're not listening closely enough.

justintime justintime
Apr '14

BLM has stated that the delay was a combination of using the courts and really not wanting to create a dangerous situation by forcibly removing the cows given Mr. Bundy's violent speeches about gun play. As to the current timing, there does not seem to be any linkage to a Reid/energy conspiracy; that's the one the article and I were alluding to. As to other pending developments causing the timing, what does the Fed have to gain there? But sure, perhaps, maybe others have brought pressure as well. Could even be other cattlemen tired of the scofflaw while they follow the law. Why not.

I think I have listened, heard his words and it seems to be about some guy wanting a free ride, i.e. money. Clive's father always paid for grazing. Suddenly, Clive stops paying and blames a litany of things in order of their failure in the courts including: state's rights, his own eminent domain (since he paid for years, that's weak), the non-existence of the United States, the tortoise and open spaces multi-use doctrine, and a number of other things. The one constant in this barrage of babble is he is not paying the normal freight that all the other farmers pay. And when he did try the end run to pay the county (not the state even); he mightily shortchanged them.

At the root of this thing is a guy stealing, plain and simple. Just because he thinks he is justified does not make it anything different than stealing.

As to other folks, I have said many different agendas are on tap causing that migration but Bundy is just the red herring they are hanging their hats on. I can understand non-violent protest. Seen it, felt it, been there. I can never condone protest by gun; we are better citizens than that. Much less growing group of armed civilians each potentially there for a different reason and perhaps some just there for a good (or not so good) time. This was a very dangerous situation.

Apr '14

" I can never condone protest by gun; we are better citizens than that."

Too bad you (apparently) don't feel that way about our govt.

[putting aside this demonstrates the true intent & use of the 2nd Amendment, -without a shot being fired I might add- which I won't argue with you about, we've went 'round and 'round enough on that one]...

In my view, it is always more desirable to have a govt that is afraid of the people rather than a people who are afraid of the govt. That IS the way it was designed.

Apr '14

If it's not about cows, than what?

Gadfly Gadfly
Apr '14

Gadfly, I was commenting on this:

"I do agree with Old Gent that our civil unrest is not hopeful if a bunch of cows owned by a scofflaw can elicit this response."

Regretfully the underlying tension is here today and will be brought to the surface by any number of events. Cows happen to be the focal point today. Tomorrow it will be something else, but it's the sum of the events that have brought us to where we are today that has led to the potential for civil unrest.

justintime justintime
Apr '14

I agree JIT; my point was that if a scofflaw standing on shaky principles can bring out guys with guns itching for a fight for various unrelated agendas, then indeed we are in for some interesting times.

To me this just did not seem like a protest worthy of guns and would like to see nonviolence rule the day. Myself, I protest all forms of violence as a form of expression.

Apr '14

it is hard to get behind this bundy guy, because he says some wacky things, and he represented himself in court and got some poor determinations as a result.

a little bit wacky for sure, but beign wacky or different is not against the law (as of yet).

In Ruby Ridge the guy was also quite unique, a rugged individual who liked to live life off the grid, and the guy in Waco was absolutely flawed as a character.

i can't help but observe that our federal government is not very tolerant of people who are different than what they say is 'normal'

there are horrific endings in these situations, because the government over-reacts

we have too much government, it's not a good thing.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

From what I've been reading the tension is more palpable now than before the government (temporarily) backed down. I fear this is going to get really, really ugly. Senator Reid (one of the top Senators always willing to use force to solve "problems") was pretty blunt about it today.

justintime justintime
Apr '14

Harry Reid is a vile viscous individual who thinks the law doesn't apply to him or his family. To bad Sarah Palin was the person responsible for putting up that waco Sharon Angle to run against him in the Senate race years ago. He was ripe to be replaced otherwise.

kb2755 kb2755
Apr '14

Bundy is a freeloader not a hero. He knew what buttons to push and here comes all the anti-govt people out of the woodwork to blow this out of proportion. This is some rich rancher scamming the people to make more money. I guess I should stop recognizing the federal govt and stop paying taxes. Wow what great idea!

Redwing
Apr '14

It's almost like civil unrest is being sought intentionally, with article like this being becoming more common place:

"Democratic lawmaker: GOP base 'animated by racism'"

http://news.yahoo.com/democratic-lawmaker-gop-animated-racism-154800450--politics.html

Pathetic. Of course there are racists among us, but surely they don't fall under any particular party. There's remnants of racism all around us, but to always turn it into a partisan play is simply disgusting. Any politician who speaks like this should be thrown in jail for distorting the truth by implying that a significant portion of a particular party is racist. The truly sad thing though? People will believe it, without a single shred of fact to support it.

justintime justintime
Apr '14

Divide and Conquer works all the time. Harry Reid has a whole career in Politics. How did he become so wealthy? He lives in a swanky Hotel. The NRA even supported him because he built them a shooting range.

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '14

and Harry Reid has accepted political donations from the Koch Brothers. he won't tell you that as he tries to label them as 'evil'

and yes Harry did threaten the Bundy Family (who are small time ranchers) yesterday,

"This isn't over",

Harry and his proxies will be back for blood next time. they won't walk away again. using his son and one of his long time staff members who is now head of the BLM, Harry will use the BLM to come down hard on the Bundy's.

I hope that this issue bridges into a wider discussion of how the federal government 'owns' almost 90% of Nevada.

How is that ok?

Bundy tried to pay Clark County but they they refused his checks, that puts it on them, that's Clark County's fault

the Governor of Nevada and one of the US Senators from Nevada and the Clark County Sheriff all came down on the side of the Bundy family.

It is time to open up the discussion on this, why is BLM issuing more and more restrictive regulations by bureaucratic fiat and then using militarized forces to enforce these onerous regs?

sending snipers to target men, women and children over a dessert tortoise regulation is overkill, literally, overkill

again, city boys won;t get this, because they don't want to, there is a war against rural America, and it is being waged by an overbearing out of control federal bureaucracy.

we need to reign it in, we have more government than we can afford, and we have more government than is good for us long term.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

why does the US Postal Service need to buy ammunition?

US Postal Service Joins in Federal Ammo Purchases

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/USPS-ammo-purchase-federal/2014/04/14/id/565541#ixzz2yxS11DLt

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

I have said a number of times that it is time for Harry Reid to go. And how he made his money, even if legal, has a number of sketchy points: http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/314025/how-did-harry-reid-get-rich-betsy-woodruff . But that's not why he need to go, he needs to go because he is not effective at speaking for the party or the people any more and therefore not effective at his job.

If you are a racist, which party are you probably going to align with? The Republicans seem to accept racism much more readily than most, it's in their party, on their websites, and they seem to condone much more of it. Sure, there are racists everywhere and I speak in generalities. But if Republicans really want to do something, they need to speak out against it when it occurs in their house, they need to become more inclusive and less exclusive. Racism not only exists in the Republican party, it is openly espoused, and not many speak out when it is: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/04/14/you-re-in-denial-if-you-think-steve-israel-is-wrong-about-gop-racism.html

Meanwhile back in Bundy land, I ask HackettstownLife what should be done given the current Bundy status? I guess BDog wants to give him the land (since I can't ever imagine he would pay for it), but is that the answer?. Given that Bundy won't pay, and that we, the government can't enforce without killing civilians, should we not charge anyone for use of public land? Bear in mind that Bundy has been expanding his herd and expanding the amount of land he steals to graze upon so he is growing, not just gettin along. What should be the fate of Mr. Bundy?

Apr '14

A lot of you people can say what you want about people in the Democratic Party. But you have to admit Republicans are worse. In 26 of the 27 states that Republicans run they are doing everything they can to suppress voter turnout. Voter fraud is virtually nonexistent less than 1000 of 1% yet the Republicans act like it's an epidemic. And passed law after law to stop people from voting that my friend is un-American. For instance in Wisconsin there were 4 cases of voter fraud in the last eight years. A lot of these people wait up to 7 hours just to vote and the Republicans are trying to make it harder. Here's a new one the Republicans are trying in Florida Dade County you know that's the County where there was so much trouble in 2000. it's not enough Republicans cut early voting and cut the number of voting machines where people already wait hours to vote. Now in their wisdom the Republicans will not make any restrooms available to Voters only people with disabilities will be allowed to use restrooms while standing in line to vote how is that for conservative compassion. Republicans have very hard time winning national elections so instead of changing their stance on issues it's just easier to stop and discourage people from voting

oldred
Apr '14

guessed wrong again, i never said that nor do i maintain that,

Bundy has committed to paying Clark County and the State of Nevada, he has stated this over and over again, (including the current news cycle) and Bundy tried to remit payments that were not accepted. Why couldn't clark county turn over the payments Bundy submitted to the feds?

if someone tries to pay for something and it is not accepted that does not make them a 'thief' ; nice try at character assassination, (that's not working either as most of america is behind him) (big government city type liberals are on the wrong side of history again)

and all these racism charges are over the line, has nothing to with the republican party which counts many minorities among it's members, the Republicans are not racists as a group, Republican party had an African American as it's chair just last year. the list of African-americans who are republicans goes on and on, many members of congress, and more.

the editorial in the daily beast has not proven anything in their hit piece and they have a clear liberal agenda to cast all Republicans in a racist light. this is wrong and should be rejected by clear thinking americans, the article equates anonymous comments from news stories threads with the republican party on a national basis? that's a real stretch and it's wrong. I wonder why they didn't compare these comments with threads from their own web site? oh yes, that's right, it would show them up as hypocrites.

and the Democrat Steve Isreal should be asked to prove his accusations. Just who is it he is calling racist? If it's not the whole party, as he said it's not all of them, then who specifically? he should be forced to names names, call him out on this, he is just throwing crap up to see what will stick, (Hint: it's not working)

responsible news people should be calling him to task on this wild statement. He should not get a free pass on it.

i think the democrats are racists because they are aok with over 20% of black youths being unemployed, why are they promoting polices that encourage black youths to remain unemployed? that's racist right there.

"“to a significant extent, the democratic base does have elements that are animated by racism” there, fixed it for ya . . . .

we need to have fully robust discussion on racism in america, but that would include the reverse racism seen in so many news stories, tv programs, music industry etc. and a lot of it coming from democrats like steve isreal.

not sure everyone has the 'stones' for that yet, but i'm ready, anytime

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

Old Red, We in NJ already have a voter registration card. Just put a hollow gram in and bring it to the poling place to be scanned. It could be a different one for each county. Don't put any numbers on it, Just a name. Show a birth certificate like we did for a drivers license or other proof once in a lifetime. If you move, turn the old one in to get a new one. Your wallet is already full of ID's for many things in life. I grant you they are coming up with many crazy ideas.

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '14

"Republicans have very hard time winning national elections so instead of changing their stance on issues it's just easier to stop and discourage people from voting."

The House of Representatives (based on population) is skewed towards the Republican side (233 vs. 199). Statistically speaking, the MORE voters that turn out, the better it is for Republicans.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '14

"The House of Representatives (based on population) is skewed towards the Republican side (233 vs. 199)."

Actually, the total House vote received by the Democratic candidates was 1.4 million higher than the total for Republican candidates, in the last election. Gerrymandering of election districts accounts for a large percentage of the win by Republicans. Gerrymandering is another form of legal corruption of the system that both parties do whenever they can.

Gerrymandering: a PERFECT reason (among many) for civil unrest.

Apr '14

"Any politician who speaks like this should be thrown in jail ....."

If I didn't know the writer better, I would almost think he succumbed to emotion when he wrote this. :-)

BDog:

Bundy is a thief because as found guilty in multiple court cases of failure to pay grazing rights. The fact he underpaid once in twenty years to the county notwithstanding. The county is neither the state nor the fed. Plus to expect the county to cash this underpayment and then send a check to either the State or the Fed is silly.

If you try to pay your Federal taxes to Warren County today I would gather it would not work either and you would have a penalty.

Apr '14

maybe not thrown in jail, but at least censured in the house by the house,

and then thrown out of office next election,

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

BrotherDog The percentage of elected African Americans that have been Democrats: 80 percent. The only elected black Republicans since 1900 have been Oscar De Priest of Illinois, Gary Franks of Connecticut, Tim Scott of South Carolina, J.C. Watts of Oklahoma, and Allen West of Florida and by the way when the black chaired the Republican party thay won big time in federal state and local elections and he was promptly fired. I noticed that no one is disputing the fact that the Republicans are making it harder and harder for people to vote. Honestly how many of you people on this board would wait six. Seven. Eight hours to cast a vote my guess none of you would.

oldred
Apr '14

I wouldn't wait that long to vote either but in many states you can vote for a week before hand. If you had a card as I suggested you would not need as many pole workers.

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '14

"If you are a racist, which party are you probably going to align with? The Republicans seem to accept racism much more readily than most,"

"it's in their party, on their websites, and they seem to condone much more of it"

What website? Who condones it? Assuming you're talking about a current politician, who might that be? Like I said, I know it's out there but I just don't see it as much as you do apparently. This racism bit is just repeating a conglomeration of Democratic sound bites - hey, it's in the news so it must be true! I know you'll find sources, but if racism is as pervasive as you say you should be able to find plenty of instances.

And yes jd2, I do feel. I'm not dead ya know!

justintime justintime
Apr '14

we need a corollary to godwin's law for racism (Leroy, you got a term for it? educate me please)

whenever the racism charge comes out, all other conversations stop dead in their tracks.

and to call things racist when they are not diminishes the meaning of racist when it does exist and needs to be identified as such, this is wrong of course.

the overuse of the charge cheapens it's meaning, becuase there are times when it needs to be used legitimately.

it's wrong to use this baseless charge in almost every political debate, when discussions don't go their way, the Democrats/liberal 'progressives' just throw out the word.

and using it ad nausem lately just proves they have no real response to the legitimate points they are presented with..

i'm calling BS on it right now.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

Typical Mr.G quoting an article on the Daily Beast which makes reference to racist talk on so called conservative websites. Also, just today Bill Clinton and Andrew Young proposed having your social security card with your picture on it to vote. I guess they're trying to suppress voting rights also.

kb2755 kb2755
Apr '14

As of now voting is a state's right to control. They want it to become under federal control. I don't want my SS Number for the world to see.

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '14

I agree Old Gent, just putting out there what they proposed. I think a drivers liscence or state issued ID would be the easier route.

kb2755 kb2755
Apr '14

I think the County Clerks could handle it fine like they do the voting card. You only need it twice a year, unless Christie in control.

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '14

kb2755
I would consider that to be a poll tax so unless the state is going to start giving out free drivers licenses or state IDs why should someone have to pay to vote .

oldred
Apr '14

voter registration cards?

Apr '14

There would be no charge just as there is no charge now to register to vote.,

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '14

I probably misspoke when I said Republican websites, should have stuck to Conservative as in Conservative = Republican, but I didn't. Sorry, the article was clear, I was not. Also, most sanctioned Republican party sites do not allow comments so the hatemongers can't use them. And before you all blow a gasket, I invite you to bring citations for Al Sharpton and others. We can have a racist race.

Actually I never said politician, they are usually too slick for that, but it's the fact that they don't speak out about it when it is used on these conservation website is shameful until you note that many of those sites contain donors to those same silent politicians. And when liberals point it out, we throw the flag for illegal use of the race card, even though the racism is right there, in front of you, in black, white and color too.

If I did start naming names, then I could start with Rick Perry. Didn't he run for President at the top of the party? Now I am not saying he is a sheet-wearing anti-minority player, but he does condone it. He not on frequented the awful named site his father leased, but he brought donors, legislators, etc. by and no one seemed to mind, at least not publically. So maybe not an overt card carrying KKKer but certainly does not speak out and often votes against: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/03/texas-governor-rick-perry_n_992712.html

And here's a sampling of a number of those politicians caught in cyberspace: http://republicanracism.blogspot.com/2012/03/republican-racism-example-32-federal.html as well as internet citations. You'll find the database on the right hand column.

As far as conservative cyberspace conservative/republican racist rhetoric, the Heritage Organization is a leading conservative think tank supporting the Republican platform. Here's a sample of their researchers moral fiber; this guy holds a doctorate: http://republicansareracists.com/

And then there's FOX, which I will say bravely pulled the plug on the entire comment section. http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/39912_Fox_News_Commenters_Respond_to_Whitney_Houstons_Death_With_Deluge_of_Hatred_and_Racism But find where FOX spoke out about the incident versus just pulling the plug and hiding it. Speaking about it might affect ratings.

Again, to be clear I am saying: "If you are a racist, which party are you probably going to align with? The Republicans seem to accept racism much more readily than most, it's in their party, on their websites, and they seem to condone much more of it." That is not saying Republican politicians are mostly racist or even racist; I am just saying that the party seems to accept and condone them versus calling them out and sanctioning them. If they want to become more inclusive, they need to take a stand versus hiding behind the illegal use of race card defense.

And sure, folks can claim the racism card is a Democratic ploy to stop the conversation, but it's like bees in your bonnet; you can say they're not there, but the buzz continues until you do something to make them leave.

Apr '14

"I would consider that to be a poll tax so unless the state is going to start giving out free drivers licenses or state IDs why should someone have to pay to vote ."

You're right... you shouldn't have to pay to exercise your rights...

Now, let's talk about those fees for Firearms ID Cards ($5), Pistol Purchase Permits ($2 each), Criminal Background Checks ($18 each), and fingerprinting ($65), shall we?

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '14

What, are you asking for a FREE handout from the government? Or perhaps that background checks and driver's licenses are not necessary? Perhaps you should pull a Bundy posse protest.

I don't think paying the freight for services rendered is worthy of discussion unless said prices are excessive or said services are unnecessary.

In regards to voting, IMHO, using driver's licenses, state-issued, or whatever the airports use would be sufficient IMHO. I think in the last Presidential election, one of the problems was the timing of the implementation of new Voter Identification Laws where people who did not have the necessary credentials just didn't have a proper interval to get them. However, here's the NYT basically saying while the effect may be anti-democratic party that the effect is "in the noise" and that democrats would be better served by getting out the vote since higher turnouts benefit them. http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/15/measuring-the-effects-of-voter-identification-laws/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Apr '14

I don't hear a buzz misterg, but you apparently do. Should I assume you're racist because you see it everywhere you look, kinda like "it takes one to know one"?

Seriously, I know it happens but to make blanket statements like you have to be conservative to be a racist is absolutely ridiculous and is nothing more that political name calling. Honestly, this is just one more reason why our society is so screwed up - blanket accusations made for political gain. For jd2's sake I'll refrain from letting my emotions show again, but it's really hard when this kind of thing is peddled for political reasons, especially because many people will take it to heart and use it to maintain the "my team vs your team" mentality. How so very sad.

justintime justintime
Apr '14

"I don't think paying the freight for services rendered is worthy of discussion unless said prices are excessive or said services are unnecessary. "

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! They are both excessive (ANY fees to exercise a fundamental right are excessive) AND unnecessary (as we've seen in cases like the Naval Yard and Arapahoe HS shootings, background checks don't stop crime and I challenge you to find any gang member who has bothered to get an FID card).

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '14

BTW, I thought this was a bit ironic:

rac·ism [rey-siz-uhm]
noun
1.a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2.a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3.hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Now let's change a single word:

1.a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human political partys determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own political party is superior and has the right to rule others.
2.a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3.hatred or intolerance of another political party or other partys.

The correlation is pretty amazing, isn't it?

justintime justintime
Apr '14

Harry Reid and his thugs are behind all of this. Here's one of his buddies and why didn't the democrat Congress censure Reid at the time and recommend prosecution?

Frederick Harvey Whittemore[1] (born 17 August 1952) is an American lawyer and businessman in the Reno, Nevada area.[2] As an influential lobbyist[3] for the gambling, alcohol and tobacco industries, and for his own ventures,[4][5] Whittemore was called "one of Nevada's most powerful men."[2] In 2012, Whittemore came under grand jury investigation, initiated by the Federal Election Commission, to determine whether he should be indicted for breaking federal campaign contribution laws. He was charged with four felonies with convictions on three of the counts, and sentenced September 2013 to two years in prison. He was also given a $100,000 fine, along with two years supervision after his incarceration and 100 hours community service.[6][7]

Whittemore was the president of Coyote Springs Investment, LLC, the land-development company behind Coyote Springs, a controversial[8][9] $30 billion planned golf course community of 160,000 homes on 43,000 acres (17,000 ha) in the rural Nevada desert.[10][11] Whittemore's close relationship with Senator Harry Reid came under scrutiny because of perceived legislative and political pressure favors allowing Coyote Springs to overcome regulatory problems.

Beaver Beaver
Apr '14

Since you're discussing civil unrest why hasn't anyone mentioned the dingbat Mayor of Hackettstown who is anti 2nd amendment and for gun confiscation.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140107020031/ http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/members/members.shtml#NJ

Beaver Beaver
Apr '14

I don't hear a buzz misterg, but you apparently do. Should I assume you're racist because you see it everywhere you look, kinda like "it takes one to know one"?
MG --- hmmm, guess that makes you one by the same token (pardon the oblique pun).

Seriously, I know it happens but to make blanket statements like you have to be conservative to be a racist is absolutely ridiculous and is nothing more that political name calling.
MG: I agree. But I think you twisted it exactly backwards to make your point if you are accusing me of that at this time. Speaking of generalizations, what I said was "That is not saying Republican politicians are mostly racist or even racist; I am just saying that the party seems to accept and condone them versus calling them out and sanctioning them." In other words, not that you have to be conservative to be a racist, but that if you are a racist, chances are you are a conservative, chances are you are a Republican. The converse of if you are a Republican, chances are you are racist would not be true. But the real point is the relative acceptance of it with very few, although it does happen, but very few calling it out. This is not a condemnation, but an opportunity for improvement.

Honestly, this is just one more reason why our society is so screwed up - blanket accusations made for political gain.
MG: What political gain? What I said was "If they want to become more inclusive, they need to take a stand versus hiding behind the illegal use of race card defense," a suggestion for improvement of the party versus looking to gain from the current situation. After all, some of my best friends are conservatives :>) The political gain to be gained is to take a stand and rout it out of the conservative talk tracks. The examples shown above just should not stand, should not be accepted.

For jd2's sake I'll refrain from letting my emotions show again, but it's really hard when this kind of thing is peddled for political reasons, especially because many people will take it to heart and use it to maintain the "my team vs your team" mentality. How so very sad.
MG: I agree totally but do not think I am guilty of this at this time.

Hope the clarification helps.

Apr '14

Good point, JIT.

I've been thinking about this also. What Steve Israel was complaining about is probably not exactly "racism", but an intolerance toward certain others, or other groups, that is similar to racism. And so, he is saying that within the leaders of the Republicans, there is sufficient support for the kind of immigration reform already passed by the Senate, but House Republicans are afraid of a backlash from the "intolerance-ism" that is not racism exactly but similar. :-(

I see what S. Israel sees, but I'm NOT going to say it is more prevalent within the Republican core than the Democratic core.

That same theory can be easily applied to the liberals/democrats who crucify anything "tea party", "bush", "gop", Republican", "palin", "fox news", the list goes on & on.

Nothing new here.

The bottom line is, "racism" is still a highly charged word, so people play that card whenever they think it will work to their advantage, whether any actual racism exists or not. The word "intolerance" should be substituted for "racism" from now on, as that's all it is... then intolerance for another race would be equal to the intolerance of another political party, or religion, or age group, or demographic.

Apr '14

"Since you're discussing civil unrest why hasn't anyone mentioned the dingbat Mayor of Hackettstown who is anti 2nd amendment and for gun confiscation."

I have contacted the mayor several times to politely express my thoughts on her association with MAIG. It seems that organization has some interesting members. I have yet to even receive a boilerplate reply of "I appreciate your input, but....".

Zero respect for a politician in a small town that can't even take the 2 minutes to communicate with the local residents when they specifically contact their representatives. If Congressmen and Assemblymen can manage to get back to 100's of thousands, maybe millions, of people... surely a mayor can handle 10,000.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '14

Her term expires this year along w/ Len Kunz & Eric Tynan. It is definitely time for change.

Ignatz Ignatz
Apr '14

just for you jr http://youtu.be/S38VioxnBaI

oldred
Apr '14

FYI Mark:

After just reviewing the first two entries, I would say this list is fraught with errors.

The list: Sheila Dixon – Baltimore, MD
Convicted of perjury
and embezzling funds
meant for charity

The reality: convicted of one misdemeanor felony for $600 misuse of funds.

The list: Eddie Perez – Hartford, CT
Convicted of bribery
and extortion

The reality: conviction overturned, sentence vacated, Judge found guilty of abuse of discretion and Constitutional rights violations.

Unfortunately, the membership list is down so can't tell if they are still even members but if the first two entries on your list were this error prone, can't imagine it gets better.

Apr '14

Oh, just one felony and abuse of Constitutional rights?

Sounds like just the kind of people we want as mayors.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '14

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bundys-son-las-vegas-shooters-210104738.html

So is this what the OP and others had in mind? These are "your" people. Right?

Darwin Darwin
Jun '14

You gotta be a complete whacko to get thrown off the Bundy ranch, I would think. Can't think of too many people who would align themselves with these two... and I don't see any connection to the OP at all.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Jun '14

Remember, that is just what the Bundy's said.

Jun '14

iPhone-imal - I'm really surprised you don't see any connection. The original post is a like to "Zero Hedge", a NMSM site for breeding civil unrest. ("wake up people", "get your guns prepared", "rise up", "no law is a good law", etc.) Bundy was tapping into that by trying to make himself the oppressed by the government du jour. Judging by the size of the crowd that showed up ready to be the new militia, it worked. The couple in Las Vegas was of that mindset - to find the government oppressors and eliminate them. That's their unfortunate interpretation of the messages they're getting from the NMSM.

I don't associate murdering local police officers with "anti-government" activities. The victims were members of the community, not interlopers from the federal government. This was simply the result of two random whackos who happened to meet and fall in love.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Jun '14

nice try at the guilt by association, it's not valid of course because the bundy's threw them out when they figured out how mental the two were. and that must take some doing, cause bundy is on the wacky side for sure.

just can't conflate the two together.

but the left has to denigrate and demonize all of those who with they disagree. it's their MO. they have no tolerance for those who think the government has too much power.
because to them, more government is always good for us. and can do no wrong.

gc, not getting what you mean by NMSM, can you please enlighten me?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '14

BD - Non Main Stream Media aka alternative media.

justintime justintime
Jun '14

You've both misunderstood what I said. I'm not pointing a finger of blame at Bundy. I'm just putting together some dots of those two individuals. Those particular people were very big fans of such sites as the one in the OP. Bundy played up to those type of sites hoping to get people to come out and support him. But that also drew in those wackos. No, don't blame Bundy one bit for telling them to get lost. It's one of the few right things they did. And even if the victims seem random to all of us, they weren't random to those two. From their perspective they were just more agents of the big government conspiracy out to get them.

NMSM - non-main stream media.

just so i am clear: those 2 were wackos, who even though they shared the sames beliefs as the Bundys and others that supportted the Bundys, do not represent ALL of the people the OP and others talked about..... So 2 people that carried out a horrific act do not represent ALL the others that may share the same beliefs.... ok got it

But all Muslims are still terrorists, right?

darwin darwin
Jun '14

No, just the ones who are Muslims.

Jun '14

agreed gc, thanks for the clarification

darwin, really?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '14

you think that's wacko you should see the Republican sh%t going on in Indiana the state now has a law that let's you shoot cops http://youtu.be/bx-nnZhue8M

oldred
Jun '14

oldred,

Rachel Maddow is to journalism what The Onion is to actual news.

Jun '14

Actually on this one I would agree with JR, however, each story must be reviewed on its merit; she bats about 500 above the truth line..

Compared to most Fox "newsies," that's a major league advantage.

Jun '14

JR, does that mean that you can't tell the difference between Rachel Madcow and a real journalist? (-;

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Jun '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.