Racers Edge 2 & Cruise Nights

Racers Edge 2 & Cruise Nights

Other thread getting large. Refer back to it for recent and vintage drag topics and pictures. Since that had a limited audience this thread is for any performance car related topics and items. Cruise cars (both show and go), daily drivers, special interest cars and of course drag cars. Not limited to Island although that is our local track.

I'll start this off with a picture of my brothers 1954 F-100. Updated with a 302 Ford w/auto (I think C-4). Fun truck. Not show but a nice driver.

thehazguy thehazguy
Mar '14

Re: Racers Edge 2 & Cruise Nights

Have to put a drag car on. 1957 Chevy at Septembers Ole Daze Drags, nice car.

thehazguy thehazguy
Mar '14

did any of you guys ever put one of those kit cars on top of a VW or ford pinto chassis?

if yes, how did it turn out?

i love these muscle cars, drag cars and show cars, but have a fondness for the 2 seater drop top cars. (MGB's, Triumphs, spitfires, etc.)

i saw a morgan drop top 2 seater once, it had a small 12 cylinder engine with 6 carbs on it and a wooden frame. didn't believe it till i saw it with my own two eyes.

i had a thing for the pontiacs at one time as well, was sad to see them close down

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Mar '14

BD, never did any of those. Have been thinking of a dune buggy lately since I have a place in the Pine Barrens. Currently have an 80 Pontiac Firebird. The Pontiac guys won't like it since it has a small block Chevy in it. Here's a link of VW kit cars.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vw+kit+car+pictures&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=U8ocU7feBeHz0gH0voDABw&ved=0CCQQsAQ&biw=1047&bih=510

thehazguy thehazguy
Mar '14

Looking forward to sunny warm weather and lots of cool cars at Island Dragway for the many nostalgia events in 2014. Here is a sample of what you will see.

Ed Beers Ed Beers
Mar '14

Of course the JET CARS are scheduled to return to Island in 2014. If you have never experienced them in person you don't know what you are missing. We sure could have used a couple of these to melt away all that snow we got this winter.
This picture taken at Atco in 2010.

Ed Beers Ed Beers
Mar '14

Island celebrates the 50th Anniversary of Don Garlits running 200 MPH on Aug. 1-3. Big Daddy is scheduled to appear. Here is Don Garlits at Island's 50th Anniversary in 2010

Ed Beers Ed Beers
Mar '14

Although jet cars aren't the quickest (compared to Top Fuel) they do put on a heck of a
show.

I usually try to see them at Englishtown... the guy that drives the big rig with three jet engines is just crazy!

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Mar '14

Here is Bob Motz in his jet powered Kenworth. This truck is unbelievable to see in action. Being up close to this monster is actually pretty scary. He melted the signs at Maple Grove and blew my camera bag about 20 feet away.

Ed Beers Ed Beers
Mar '14

Pro Street Vette from the Fossils Car Cruise when they were held at the Jackson Outlets by Great Adventure.

thehazguy thehazguy
Mar '14

Another Pro Street Vette from the same car cruise

thehazguy thehazguy
Mar '14

I'll have to see when Joe's Steak Shop in Philllipsburg starts their Tuesday night "cruise". Probably first part of April. Given the weather we've had so far this year I'd say it might be a little bit later. I'll be able to get down there after Easter.

Here's a cool one I found from Englishtown around 2007, I think. I just wanna know how he opens the door.

Ed Beers Ed Beers
Mar '14

I'm not a bike guy but I thought this shot was cool. This was at the old Vargo strip behind an old barn. Would make a nice calendar picture.

Ed Beers Ed Beers
Mar '14

The first Cruise Night at Joe's is scheduled for Tuesday, May 6th.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Mar '14

From the Street Car Nats at the York Fairgrounds. Many years ago

thehazguy thehazguy
Mar '14

Another one from York

thehazguy thehazguy
Mar '14

Ed, the hell with the door, Does he wear ear plugs while driving!!!!

Darrin Darrin
Mar '14

Hey gang! Got to www.ecdnonline.com and check out my pics from the Rod and Custom show at Oaks a couple weeks back. Lots of cool stuff.

Ed Beers Ed Beers
Apr '14

Going to Island today/tonight for first points race of the year. It will sure feel good to get back after the awful winter we've had this year. Haven't smelled burnt rubber since last August. I'm in withdraw. Will be taking a few pictures.Will post probably on Sunday(13th).Hope to see everybody there.

Ed Beers Ed Beers
Apr '14

Not ready to go yet. Maybe the next points race. I have to work every weekend for 4 weeks starting April 26th so that will curtail things for a month for me. Here's a pic from last years Ole Daze Drags

thehazguy thehazguy
Apr '14

Guys, I stumbled across this page and I have to say thanks for posting all of the pics and stories from Island! I spent many of my younger days with my father when he bracket raced at Island with the Chevelle, front engined, and rear engined dragsters. The whole gang with me and my father with Fosters Nova, Banachs Vega(both of which my father did the chassis and cage work on and both won D1 championships) Hookers Pinto, and Albrechts Camaro, always enjoyed the trip up, as well as the traditional stop at the Sunset Inn on the way home. The owners there dubbed us the Sunset Racers and had hats and t-shirts made for everyone. Believe it or not, I still have the hat which is probably 35 years old. Thinking back now, it seems like every week there was a good memory, and many of the other names mentioned in the posts are familiar. I was also amazed to see a few pictures of our cars, as well as a picture of the still unfinished, frame only trailer that we eventually enclosed ourselves. Keep it up!

Don Eckel 111 Don Eckel 111
May '14

Hey, the hazguy, lookin' smokin' good!

JudeKS JudeKS
May '14

Check this out for some great North east nostalgia decals (and the rest of the country too)
http://www.nostalgicracingdecals.com/

jetmech jetmech
May '14

Thanks for stopping in Don. I was just sitting with Harry Albrecht and George Toth a few weeks ago at Atco and we were talking about the old days at Island. They were talking about the Sunset Inn and Hill's Diner in Washington. That was the first place I ever saw Banach's Vega and probably your dad's Chevelle parked in the STS lot on a Sunday morning back in '78.

Ed Beers Ed Beers
May '14

Ed,
Harry and George are always good for a few laughs, among the others mentioned before. I just saw George again this past weekend while we were running the LODRS race at Maple Grove, and his entertainment didn't disappoint!

Don Eckel 111 Don Eckel 111
May '14

REST IN PEACE Lamont Akins
Passed away during a race this week end a Maryland International Raceway . I did not know him but
I am sure he raced at our local track
Lamont may you soul travel at light speed as you make your next destination blessed be to you and to the ones you leave behind

Caged Animal Caged Animal
May '14

Super Stock qualifying at the Englishtown Summernationals. Larry Jewell's SS/DA Vette local runner from Bangor (I believe)

thehazguy thehazguy
May '14

Last years Super Stock winner at the SummerNats - Lincoln Morehead wheels up in qualifying today

thehazguy thehazguy
May '14

Another Island runner from years ago. Tested recently at Island with his Super Gas Camaro. Used to run a 55 Chevy in Modified Eliminator years ago.

thehazguy thehazguy
May '14

Accidentally posted Dave Rampy instead of Larry Jewell, Here's Larry's Vette

thehazguy thehazguy
May '14

It has been almost a year since anyone has posted on this thread. Time to give it CPR and revive it. Here's a shot from Island's 50th Anniversary of 200 mph by Garlits, taken last August. Carl and Melissa with Big Daddy and Bruce Larson.

Ed Beers Ed Beers
Apr '15

The car that made drag racing history. Swamp Rat VI b. 201.34 mph on Aug. 1, 1964. Photo taken by myself Aug. 3, 2014 at Island. Unfortunately I had to work the Friday and Saturday nights that weekend and missed Big cackling the car on the track.

Ed Beers Ed Beers
Apr '15

Sharp looking competition coupe at the 200 mph 50th Anniversary. Island Aug.2014.

Ed Beers Ed Beers
Apr '15

Hey Ed, welcome back. Book from Don "Big Daddy" Garlits.

thehazguy thehazguy
Apr '15

Book signed by Big Daddy Don Garlits

thehazguy thehazguy
Apr '15

Big Daddy's trailer. Rolling road show

thehazguy thehazguy
Apr '15

This Sunday !! Sunday !! Sunday!!! NETO and MANDRA nostalgia drag racing at Island Dragway starting at noon. I'll be there shooting pictures.My first weekend off for summer months. Plan on doing several drag events and car shows this year.

Ed Beers Ed Beers
Apr '15

Track Rental Day Friday 5-01015 NJ5thGen Club plus other cars. Got to get some good pictures behind the guardrail.

thehazguy thehazguy
May '15

Island had their 55th Anniversary race last Sunday.Check out this rail that was running with MANDRA.. Definitely OLD SCHOOL !

Ed Beers Ed Beers
Aug '15

This van was in the car show area. Looks original. AHRA Bee LIne Dragway safety van.I love when people leave stuff original instead of repainting it.

Ed Beers Ed Beers
Aug '15

I wish I had some extra cash doing nothing out on 519 on the way to P-burg is a old 53 Dodge pick up 5 window for sale 3400dollars and I can see it in my mind with a gasser front end 426 hemi and super charger hooked to a auto trans and narrowed rear with a spool differential zoom zoom

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Aug '15

The "Cookie Monster" Ford of Bruce Thomas from Philly.Sunday Aug.2.

Ed Beers Ed Beers
Aug '15

Won the N-3 bracket (13.00 seconds and up) at the Fall Nostalgic race last weekend at Island Dragway.

thehazguy thehazguy
Oct '15

Another pic

thehazguy thehazguy
Oct '15

Some more

thehazguy thehazguy
Oct '15

Hey folks,check out the main Racers Edge forum. Lots of great 1970s pictures going up on there right now.

Ed Beers Ed Beers
Feb '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.