Snowmobiling

Anyone else have snowmobiles?

Personally I have driven snowmobiles since I was 4, We currently have 6 sleds and a 30 foot enclosed trailer and travel whenever we can to ride.

We mainly go to promised land park in PA, and we spend some time at riding high ranch every couple years. They have lots of trails and cabins, great place.

Looking for more good areas to ride.

Our current sleds:

2002 ZL 800 EFI SS (mine)
2001 Pantera 580 EFI (dads)
1999 ZL 600 EFI (wifey's)
1993 EXT 580 (mine, but my brother rides this one)
1989 Yamaha Bravo (grandpa's)
1976 Motoski 440 (grandpa's but one of my first sleds that i rode)

Darrin Darrin
Dec '13

No where in NJ unless you know some of the farmers. They tend to be ok with it as long as you ask and never ever ride on the land when there is to little snow.

I either travel to NEP Sno trails in Pennsylvania or go up to Vermont. Tired of getting bothered by cops in NJ. I used to stop and get harassed all the time. Now it's 50/50. (aka I don't stick around)

2003 SKS 800 144" track

younggen
Dec '13

We have been going to Old Forge NY and Redfield NY, both great areas. The Redfield area is not as crowded as Old Forge and its considered lower Tug Hill. The riding in Old Forge is great the road crews actually groom the trails all winter and they are some of the best we ride on. We have rented a house up there the last two years for five days and then we take weekend trips it is a bout a four and a half five hour ride but its worth it.

2000 Artic Cat ZR 700

earnhardt earnhardt
Dec '13

We used to go to Woodford, Vt - about 4 1/2 hours away. We rode a lot in the Lake Placid area and NEK of VT. We got tired of the long drives and expense of it all. I do miss it - but I don't miss being cold. I didn't know there was much riding not far away in PA - are they well maintained trails?

4of4
Dec '13

wanna take a fat kid? ill pay for gas lol

skippy skippy
Dec '13

NEP sno trails is northeast of carbondale. It takes me an hour from Belvidere, NJ. I think the trails are ~200 miles. Probably more. Some are trails are old railroads beds. So high speed and some trails are more intricate switchback up hillsides. Something for everyone. Plenty of food and gas stops. They even have an airstrip you can try to top your sled out. At your own risk. Most of the trails are groomed by fullsize units (they just got a 2013 model) some backwood trails are maintained with a groomer towed behind a sled. (not that good in my opinion)

Minimal drunks on the trails and they enforce only people riding that have paid to use the system and anything of the railroad beds is privately owned and at the grace of the landowners.

Anyone want to join up to go this year let me know.

younggen younggen
Dec '13

There are certainly great areas up in NY, Glimmerglass for one. But definitely is a hike of usually 3hrs+. Anywhere between Tupper and Saranac is good but 4hrs+.

In PA Promised Land is close and very popular. All the state lands have areas of one kind or another. For more info:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/recreation/snowmobile/smplacestoride/index.htm

New Jersey, the land where you can't even have fun...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '13

Young gen you have my interest can you tell me more like cost and such?

Darrin Darrin
Dec '13

Darrin,
If you get a trail pass early (time has already expired I think) it's ~$40. In season in $70. Which to me is more than reasonable. Generally a great group of people everytime I go. You always have the one or two bad apples. If I had kids I would only hestitate to bring them because of the long railroad beds. They get boring after awhile and can take some time to cover if your only going to 20mph. If you have kids that are comfortable on sleds I don't think it would be an issue.

Everyone I've encountered uses hand signals to let you know how many are behind them or if they are the last one. I snapped a belt last year and over the 20 minutes for me to put a new one on about ~10 groups asked if I needed help even with my buddy next to me helping. It was on a main trail so the trails are not crowded at all. One group every two minutes or so is nothing. Back trails are even more remote especially when you get to some technical parts.

Scenery is nice. Huge pine forests, a couple bridges over streams, under some windmills on the top of the mountains, and for a couple years even through a cow pasture. You had to open and close the gate and the farmer never once complained about it being open. Generally its people from NJ/PA who appreciate a trail system so close to home at a reasonable price so we all take care of it. People volunteer to fix bridges/trails during the summer.

Food. A number of restaurants to choose from. Most are pubs/dives. Don't expect applebee's or TGIF's. Some people look like they have seen better days but I've never had a problem and I look like I'm straight from behind a desk job. Decent food at most stops. Gas stations along the main routes to fill up and cleanish rest rooms as well. All provide warmth when needed.

Only part that sucks is as with all things in this sport/hobby is snow dependent. They usually get more snow than Jersey and less than NY. So some years like last year I only got in two days of riding. Trails were not groomed because there wasn't enough snow. Everyone was out but if you like the rough technical stuff your all by yourself usually.

http://www.nepsnotrails.com/

younggen younggen
Dec '13

NEP sounds like fun, but a sled is a big investment for such occasional use. My uncle used to have snowmobiles out in Ohio many years ago, but they were stolen and that pretty much ended that hobby.

I think a GPS would be a good investment when you're in a park with 200 miles of trail!

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '13

is the registration fee per snowmobile or For a membership where you can bring any snowmobile as long as the person there is a member?

Darrin Darrin
Dec '13

per sled

younggen younggen
Dec '13

that can get very expensive with 6 sleds. I will look into it for next year though, that sounds like what I am looking for. Do they have any places where you can rent a cabin off the trails so you have a place to leave trailers, and pull sleds up to a place to stay for the night?

With the weather the way it has been going, It's tough to invest on a trail pass and then have a lousy season and only get to ride once, for 300 bucks. Do they sell day passes? Because that would be ideal for me to go up and check out their trail system before buying memberships for every sled.

Definitely hit me up if you want to take a ride out to promised land, or if you are looking for something closer we can go to a farm, or I know a small section of trails by my parents house in succasunna that I have always ridden on.

Mark, my gps is waterproof and has a track back feature on it, and even has a off road mode, I use it with my jeep all the time, cause when I go back in the woods it is real easy to get lost.

Darrin Darrin
Dec '13

Re: Snowmobiling

This is a picture from Old Forge last year. I just saw this morning the Redfield area got 41" of snow yesterday. Problem is the trails don't open till Monday the 16 th .

earnhardt earnhardt
Dec '13

Here is some of our sleds from last year

Darrin Darrin
Dec '13

darrin,
I don't know of any cabins but honestly I haven't looked. An hour ride is nothing to me but realize it could be long for a family.

Parking is at any number of places along the trails. I park at the lower end of the trails and is the main rail bed up through everything. It can be empty or filled with 40+ trucks & trailers. Seen it both ways and never had a problem. Actually saw a truck with 4 wheel get stuck and everyone came over to help push it out.

300 is steep but isn't vermont or old forge more? VAST for one sled is 110 early bird registration. So 440 for your sleds plus travel time. Of course the offset is Vermont will always have more/better snow.

I've never been to promised land so maybe I will try that this year. They are calling for at least 3-4 with the potential for 10 tomorrow!!!!!!! My town isn't going like the sound of the sled on sunday morning.

younggen younggen
Dec '13

Boys the time has come, I will be up bright and early tomorrow, fire them up! !!!!

Darrin Darrin
Dec '13

Went out tonight for about 5 miles in the fields. Had a great time. Then went up to my neighbors two streets away. Cops drove by the house and slowed down when then saw the sled in the driveway. Came home and not 3 minutes after a cop with lights came by driving by my house. I don't think someone in the neighborhood appreciates it. There was a few kids out in side by sides that were acting hooligans.

Let the season begin!!!!

younggen younggen
Dec '13

I have I sled too but keep it in tug hill ny you can ride up I high point nj as long as your sled is registered in nj there's trail maps google it

Tombo Tombo
Dec '13

Oh yeah we got out this morning here is a pic

Darrin Darrin
Dec '13

nice to see a pic of you guys! who was watching the fish! lol

skippy skippy
Dec '13

The cats have the fish under control when we are not home

Darrin Darrin
Dec '13

I think the snow is calling me yet again.....I cannot wait to get out of work!

Darrin Darrin
Jan '14

Old Forge NY... its a long ride from our area but when we get here its amazing! We have 3 generations that come up and ride. The trails are beautiful, well marked, trail maps for those that may want to take long rides, you can also rent snow mobiles from a few places. There is plenty of clean, affordable hotels, with indoor pools-a wonderful restored movie theater..not to mention wonderful Mom & Pop eateries...There is a small ski resort McCally Mt for those that dont want to ride. Its our favorite place in the world!-

Diana G Diana G
Jan '14

Go West for the real deal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEbwsdOoDrM

This is the Snowy Range in Southeastern Wyoming. This is where some of my cousins get loose. The summit is at 12,000 feet and they don't plow the highway above 9,500 feet and there is an extra lane just below to park your vehicles. Extensive snow cover through May or June and some snow above 11,000 year round.

I have been to Yellowstone twice so far for a week each time, both in the park and in the mountains....yeah that is definitely the real deal!! Here is a picture from today

Darrin Darrin
Jan '14

You need more snow LOL!

Yeah no kidding!!! When I was in the mountains of Yellowstone, you were advised not to step off the snomobiles, because the snow you were on was actually 20 feet plus!!!! My grandfather did not thinking and sunk up to his neck

Darrin Darrin
Jan '14

We go up into the White Mountains in NH every year and its always nice riding! They take good care of the trails up there, which a lot of them are roads that arent maintained in the winter and since the mountains are so big the views are fantastic

smashley smashley
Jan '14

I've ridden on groomed trails in Quebec, Old Forge + surrounding area, and Pennsylvania. All of them have advantages and disadvantages. As long as you enjoy it, who cares?

For the all-around package, I have to agree with Diana G who posted earlier. Old Forge has a little of everything and they definitely cater to snowmobilers. If you avoid the weekend, you will even have a better time as there are fewer sleds and they groom as often as they can not to mention reduced hotel rates and better availability.

summerhelp summerhelp
Jan '14

Does old forge make you buy trail passes? I have heard great thing about old forge, minus the cops. They are constantly setting up DWI checkpoints and checking for loud exhausts etc. Sounds like a trip I need to plan

Ridin Hy Ranch is awesome, I have been there twice. They have all inclusive packages which include breakfast lunch and dinner, plus snowmobiles, ski rental and lift, snow tubing, horseback riding, pretty much all activities and food are included in your stay price. The price is real reasonable too. Awesome family get away!!!

http://www.ridinhy.com

Both times I went up we took our own snowmobiles so that we did not need to wait in line for snowmobiles or deal with a guide/new drivers. They let you ride all of their trails if you have your own sleds. If you have a NY pass, you can go off of their trails and onto the NY state trail system.

Darrin Darrin
Jan '14

Just came back from Old Forge last weekend we had 4 sleds and had a blast. They do charge a trail permit to ride on there trails but you could ride and have fun off of there trails on just the NY state trail system in that area. You can get a weekend pass or a season pass. Weekend is 45 I think season is 80. Well worth the money. We stay at the Northwoods just outside of town $100 bucks a night.

Earnhardt Earnhardt
Jan '14

Darrin,

I have been stopped by the cops in NY more outside of the Old Forge trail system then I have while on their system. They have always been professional and have been pretty quick in doing their job. They usually are checking for registration and insurance documents ( I don't bar hop @ night so I have yet to go through a DWI checkpoint). I have seen them run radar on the State system between Inlet and Indian Lake.

There is definitely a movement against loud exhaust systems so if you have one, I would not ride it in NY.

summerhelp summerhelp
Jan '14

I have been bar hopping on lake hopatcong both by boat and by snowmobile.....now that was fun!

My 600 is tweaked, I have a different pipe and can on it, it is not too loud, I have never been stopped for it, but it does rip a little louder.

There is speed limits on the trails and they shoot radar....crap, never seen that before!

Darrin Darrin
Jan '14

Darrin, that does sound like fun! :)

positive positive
Jan '14

Darrin,

I have only seen the speed trap once in the 12 or so years I have been going up there (think is was three years ago...they were sitting on snowmobiles behind some pine trees with one of them standing with a handheld radar gun....the trail was flat and straight where they were....I had been warned that they were there..if not, I am sure I would have been above the posted limit in that stretch). I used to go up on the weekends and that is when I saw most of the Police/Conservation officers. I now avoid the weekends and have not been stopped in a couple of years. I do have all the necessary permits and insurance so I haven't had any issues when I have been stopped.

Sometimes the officers use snowmobiles for their checkpoints and sometimes they have the checkpoints set up at where the trails intersect with roads and have SUV's.

The Old Forge/Town of Webb area has the bar scene but also has some nicer dinning opportunities so you can pretty much find anything you want.

Summerhelp Summerhelp
Jan '14

WE NEED MORE SNOW!

Darrin Darrin
Jan '14

I SMELL SNOW

Darrin Darrin
Jan '14

Taking a trip to Old Forge this weekend. Should be good riding.

Earnhardt Earnhardt
Jan '14

Awesome! Totally jealous! We went up to Stillwater this weekend, my grandfather has a friend who has a 50 acre farm, that was fun.

Darrin Darrin
Jan '14

That's great Stillwater is nice. We like to ride the reservoir.

Earnhardt Earnhardt
Jan '14

you can ride a reservoir in Stillwater?

Darrin Darrin
Jan '14

Yes it a blast we got on by the Stillwater Bar and went across it, took a while its a big body of water. We went to an island on the far side and had lunch at a nice little bar. We were always nervous about riding the reservoir but we talked to a few locals who said they lower it for snowmobile season and as long as you see a bunch of sleds on it your ok. We also rode Big Moose Lake which was really cool they had a guy plow it off with his truck and make a dragstrip out of it.

earnhardt earnhardt
Jan '14

That's good to know, I have ridden lake Hopatcong, and it is fun too, but that is a deep lake. I have had a zrt 800 up to 135 mph on a GPS on the ice, crazy fast! Riding lakes is usually a last resort for me though, it makes me real nervous, I like to stick to land!

Actually two years ago we stuck a ring on our 600, and coasted to the coast of the lake on one cylinder. I had to tow it back all the way across the lake....you want to talk about nerve racking!

Darrin Darrin
Jan '14

Earnhardt and Darrin,

Think you are talking about two different "Stillwaters"......Earnhardt, you are definitely talking about upstate NY. Darrin, I believe, is talking about Stillwater NJ.

I am with you Earnhardt in that crossing the Stillwater reservoir has made me nervous too. I have only gone completely across it a few times. I now jump on and off in different places to limit my time on the reservoir. I also used to ride all of 4th lake in the Inlet area but now just get on @ Clarks and get off by the Woods Inn so that I cut out some of trail 5.

I am going up there in two weeks but I leave on a Sunday and get back here on a Thursday.....less people up there mid-week.

Summerhelp Summerhelp
Jan '14

Yes I think you are correct, we stay at the North Woods Inn so riding 4th lake works out really well when trail 5 gets nasty.

Earnhardt Earnhardt
Jan '14

whoops, yup i thought he meant NJ

Darrin Darrin
Jan '14

21 miles on the sled today around the local farms. Tried to pull a volvo out of a ditch with the sled. Was successful and then the guy promptly stuffed it on the other side of the road. looking forward to the next few storms they are forecasting. Anyone ride around Belvidere?

younggen younggen
Feb '14

Never ridden in belvidere, but is that a invite?? lol

Yeah I am definitely looking forward to this weekend, sure we will be going somewhere. If I am off work tomorrow I will be going out too.

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

I ride the corn fields around Belvidere. I see tracks all over and generally follow them hoping they are the owners or people whom have "permission" to ride them. I haven't had the chance to meet any local farmers out here yet and ask for permission.

I spoke to a kid whom was out on a sled and he said if you know the trails I can run all the way to P-burg through the corn fields. Which would be fun but I need a local to show me the way.

younggen younggen
Feb '14

Youngen, so you are knowingly trespassing? Regardless of whether the other tracks are made by owners or people who rightfully have permission to be there, you don't. Sadly, that is the type of behavior that gives all riders a bad reputation.

music gal music gal
Feb '14

young gen, it seems the locals do not have a problem with you riding the land, but I would try to get permission and more importantly, TRY TO FIND THESE OTHER TRAILS!!!!!!

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

Darrin, I live in the area where young gen is bragging about trespassing and my family has a 65-acre piece of land there. So yes, at least some of "the locals" do a problem with it. I know the majority of farmers in the Belvidere-White-Harmony area and get defensive when people think it is OK to trespass on land that others paid to purchase, pay to maintain and work their A**es off to take care of.

Young gen's first comment was "...No where in NJ unless you know some of the farmers. They tend to be ok with it as long as you ask..." So he/she knows the right to do, but has chosen not to.

We and our circle of friends probably have about 15 snowmobiles. We are Respectful, Ask permission and Do not go on land without it.

music gal music gal
Feb '14

music gal,
It pisses me off when some random person on the internet behind the keyboard assumes the worse and preaches their holy attitude.

I have permission from some owner/operators with tracts of land around here. Unfortunately two or three pieces of property I need to contact the owners to get permission because I cut across them to reach the land I'm allowed to ride. I've crossed their land once, yesterday. While one time does not make it any better, I have made it a priority to go ask if the weather keeps providing good riding.

As far as bad reputation, I've helped one farmer so far and a hunter on another piece of property. The bad reputation was formed by the older generations attitude of mine, mine, mine, stay away and the destruction of community. Should you want to play those games, next time a hay bale falls off one of your trucks while transporting on public roads, hitting and ruining one of my cars; a cow or horse breaks free and eats my bushes/lawn I'll be sure to make the farmer knows he didn't have permission to ruin my car or for his animals to trespass on my lawn. I worked my a** off for my car and my property but didn't think anything of it when either happened. So please get off your high horse, refuse anyone whom asks to use your property.

younggen younggen
Feb '14

"I ride the corn fields around Belvidere. I see tracks all over and generally follow them hoping they are the owners or people whom have "permission" to ride them. I haven't had the chance to meet any local farmers out here yet and ask for permission."

Uhhh, sorry younggen, but you completely changed your story.

Completely agree with music gal on the trespassing issue.

Gadfly Gadfly
Feb '14

Didn't change my story. Let me break it down for you.

"I ride the corn fields around Belvidere. "
- If you have ever been to Belvidere you know it is surrounded by corn fields. And Belvidere being the closest landmark people would know the corn fields go on for miles down 519. Had I said corn fields 3.4 miles southwest from the old hanging square in Belvidere been more to anyone's liking? That by the way is not an accurate location. Or how about Soy fields? Either way it was a generic statement to give a general idea of location and letting people know my general vicinity without specific location.

I see tracks all over and generally follow them hoping they are the owners or people whom have "permission" to ride them.
- Where I have permission to ride is not farmland except for 4 fields which the owner rents to a farmer. Seeing tracks I know weren't created by the owners or others allowed there make me curious and I follow them. Some lead to farm buildings, greenhouses, homes etc.... Gasp.... maybe someone trespassed first. Gasp, maybe this is how I find out whom to ask if I can ride on their property if I ask on their behalf to ride on the same land I am allowed too... Same goes for meeting other riders who have permission and I can find out whom I have to talk to.

I haven't had the chance to meet any local farmers out here yet and ask for permission.
- Up until yesterday I haven't had a need/want to cross the farms near my house to reach where I ride local. The sled is usually kept at the property where I do go. It happened to be loaded in my truck because I had to work on it at my garage and I wasn't taking the truck out in the road conditions so I took the sled. I never argued trespassing, however there has to be a little give and take when their tracks go on to property I know they don't have permission.

I spoke to a kid whom was out on a sled and he said if you know the trails I can run all the way to P-burg through the corn fields. Which would be fun but I need a local to show me the way.
- Hmm never said I did trespass and take this trip. Only would do it if the person/people showing me had permission and knew the route. Getting lost on sled, on property you aren't supposed to be on is asking for trouble.

So I hope this adequately explains my broad statement in which you inferred so much without knowing the situation at hand. It sounds like someone has trespassed on music gal's land and she finally found a target to place blame and anger for whatever may have happened. If you own one of the pieces of property I crossed yesterday my apologies and when I approach you hopefully within the week, please feel free to refuse access it is your property.

Now here is to hoping for more snow.

younggen younggen
Feb '14

You're right Young gen, we have had people trespass on our property. We've had property damaged and items stolen (Trail Cams, tree stands.) Despite this, we still allow responsible, respectful individuals on the land for snowmobiling, 4-wheeling, hunting, bird-watching, photographing.

We don't allow those who display disregard for other people or their property, such as riding around a neighborhood and not caring that "...I don't think someone in the neighborhood appreciates it" or ride early on a Sunday morning and joke "My town isn't going like the sound of the sled on sunday morning." Does that sound like a respectful rider to you?

music gal music gal
Feb '14

I rode two streets over to a friends house when the town didn't plow the roads with 8" plus on it and didn't ride after 9pm so I didn't wake anyone from a slumber. And few had shoveled their sidewalks for my wife and I to walk. And how is someone not liking me snowmobile a sign of a disrespectful rider?

Didn't start the sled that Sunday till around 9:30 because I know people like to sleep in. People still b*tch about it that early in the morning.

So yes actually it does sound like a respectful rider. In town I didn't do more than 10mph, all the lights on my sled work, I signal turn properly, and have the stock exhaust which is well within NJ noise limits. I don't ride through town at night acting like a hooligan like I have seen some of the farmers/greenhouse kids on their side by sides. Any of those kids yours?

It sucks your trail cams were stolen as I know they can be expensive. Couldn't imagine someone taking a tree stand.

younggen younggen
Feb '14

music gal, all arguing aside, your family has 65 acres that you allow people to snowmobile/atv on......where do i sign up???

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

Old forge trail 5

Earnhardt Earnhardt
Feb '14

Jealous!!!!!

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

music gal " Despite this, we still allow responsible, respectful individuals on the land for snowmobiling, 4-wheeling"

Please send me a application!!!!!!

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

The area of the property used by snowmobilers is part of a larger tract of neighboring properties; it's not a "destination" piece - more of a pass through. The best way to apply is to knock on the door and ask :-)

music gal music gal
Feb '14

We are going to high point tomorrow, looking forward to trying a new place that is close

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

At Indian Lake today we were riding the lake and this guy landed right by us.

Earnhardt Earnhardt
Feb '14

Earnhardt - Indian Lake the town or the lake? Our family rented a shall we say "extra rustic" cabin near the southern part of Long Lake that's near the town. That was like 1967 and it did not exactly turn out so well.

"The area of the property used by snowmobilers is part of a larger tract of neighboring properties; it's not a "destination" piece - more of a pass through. The best way to apply is to knock on the door and ask :-)"

nice cop out after saying you allow respectful people to ride your land.

And for everyone's information I took the time the last few days to ask the two landowners if it was acceptable to ride their property. Usual response, it's ok we don't say anything, you get hurt we never had this convo.

Did anyone sign up for NEP SNO trails? They are finally open this weekend!

younggen younggen
Feb '14

We were riding on the lake then came off and went to the SS Durant (Dinner Boat) then we rode threw the town. We were going to go up the Long Lake but decided to head back to Old Forge.

earnhardt earnhardt
Feb '14

We did 50 miles up at stokes/high point state forest, pretty good run for a local place. Had a blast actually.........but all was well until my main bearing failed on my drive shaft 4 miles out, causing the cog wheel assembly to go sideways, lockup the track, and just about destroy all the gears in the drop case........time to start ordering parts! This is gonna get expensive!

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

Here is a picture of the drop case carnage. It doesn't look bad at first glance, but if you look the lower gear is twisted sideways and chewed into the side of the case, ruining the gear

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

And here is the picture of the bearing retainer that is mounted to the other side of the cog wheel assembly. After the bearing blew it lasted metal to metal for 40 miles at speeds of 30-60 mph....pretty impressive! I should of known something bad was happening, I hear a strange noise and then my speedo stopped working. I just figured it broke the main cable again (i just replaced about 50 miles ago) But...I wasn't that lucky....

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

Just realized first photo was upside down but it wont let me re-load

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

Put 18 miles on it yesterday. This powder is awesome for riding. My buddy burned a hole in the PTO piston of his polaris indy triple. Anyone have a spare block lying around?

Darrin, Can you direct me where a trail map for high point is as well as the best place to load/offload?

Thanks

younggen younggen
Feb '14

Here you are buddy, one of the maps is on this site too:
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/stokes.html

Trails that lead to and past the gas line are currently closed, but the trail is still 10 + miles out and back.
here is another site

http://www.nynjtc.org/park/stokes-state-forest

I did about 10 miles yesterday, this snow is something I have not ridden in NJ for a long long time, reminds me of out west!

If you are going to go, I would go to the park office , they have paper maps there for free that will show you how to get to the numerous overlooks.

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

I found a package deal, 2 arctic cats, a 1999 zr600 efi, and a 1998 440 Carb, with a enclosed trailer which is a 1996 triton two place tilt. Both sleds have 3500 miles. They are asking $2700, I think this is a steal and a half! I would probally fix the 440, (the carbs need cleaning, it does not run) and sell it, but the zr is a nice sled.

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

I found a fix to everyone's problems!

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

Darrin,
That has to be one of the worst ideas ever.

just me 3
Feb '14

That yamajunk would just spin and smoke belts and not turn stupid

Tombo Tombo
Feb '14

Lmao!!!! Arctic Cat for life!

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

It won't be long before all arctic cat sleds are using yamaha power.

just me 3
Feb '14

No way. Arctic Cat uses suzuki, can't remember when they stared that.

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

Earth to Darrin......sorry to burst your cat pride but Cat and Yamaha partnered last year and all of the 4 strokes in cats are using Yamaha engines.

And where do you think the chasis for the SR Vipers came from??

just me 2 just me 2
Feb '14

41 miles and water skipped for the first time this weekend. Only 15-20 ft but what a rush.

younggen younggen
Feb '14

just me 2, had no idea....but thats not the worse thing that happened i suppose, all my quads and dirt bikes are Yamahas.

younggen, the only time I water skipped was on a flooded trail, I don't have to balls to do it on a lake.

Also, great news, My sled is back up and running, put it all back together yesterday and put about 5 miles on it!

Darrin Darrin
Feb '14

Any one else looking forward to some fresh snow!!! I will probably be going to the stokes trail system again Saturday, lats see what breaks this time!!

Younggen, did you ever get to go try this trail system?

Darrin Darrin
Mar '14

Darrin,
Never made the trail system. Couple of my buddies came over this weekend and we waterskipped again. Put 43 miles on this weekend. Took some different trails than we usually do. Conditions were rough nothing but ice.

We only sunk one sled. He had a crappy approach angle and literally slid in off the embankment. We had it running last night. 2 hours after pulling it from the water.

If my buddies bail this coming week I'll let you know if your looking for someone to ride with.

younggen younggen
Mar '14

how about this?? http://laughingsquid.com/mtt-136-an-all-weather-all-terrain-electric-tracked-vehicle/

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '14

the machine in the second photo looks so freakin dangerous! Put some picks on it and it would be a face ripper!

I am also guessing that riding "bucket" has no suspension

Only problem is I doubt you can do this with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRPdLFVZdlQ

I actually did somehting very similar to 1:53 when I was out west.

Darrin Darrin
Mar '14

I don't know anything about it but the video makes it look like fun and useful

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '14

5catmom - You're exactly right, that's the difference between something made to be utilitarian and something made to twist your spine in knots. The caterpillar track did things like giving your truck a push, go through stream in the summer, and go in reverse. It's not going to get you doing 143 mph around the race track or do aerial flips.

Biggest problem I see is actually that thing is not for sale - the video was an advert for the inventor trying to get someone to manufacture it. If the one picture didn't have a pair of them side by side I would have said only one had ever been made. It looks like there are just the two prototypes.

45 miles up at high point yesterday. The begging of the trails sucked, very bumpy, but after the first 2 miles they leveled out, and there was not a single soul out there, so I was really able to open it up.

My old 580 wouldn't stop loosing Idler wheels. My dad kept picking them up and we kept taking bolts off the sled to replace the lost bolts, but it kept her going!

93 mph on the gps with my 800, had the 600 up to about 85 on the same trail. I backed off though cause the trees started looking like toothpicks flying at me! And we had people on sleds on both end of the trails so that nobody expectantly came up on us.

Darrin Darrin
Mar '14

Time to fire up the snowmobiles for the first time this winter!!!!!!!!!

Darrin Darrin
Jan '15

Can't wait to take the old john Deere out few a few runs.

jd4020 jd4020
Jan '15

Tore up my dads property lil bit

Darrin Darrin
Jan '15

If it's not cutting into grass with this rain that's not much to worry about. If you're putting up mud that's one thing, otherwise all you've got is occupational hazard that comes with the territory. ;-)

Hopefully the snow to come will be a big storm and I can travel to a few of the places I ride. I think this weekend was just a test run to make sure all the sleds are ready for a long ride!

Darrin Darrin
Jan '15

Can it start after 6pm Monday is all that I ask...

Hi Darrin, quick question for you. In PA at promise land do you need to register the sleds in Pa and do you need a separate trail permit ?

Earnhardt Earnhardt
Jan '15

Nope, unless they changed anything. Every time we went there we always got stopped for registration because NJ is one of the only surrounding states who do not give registration stickers anymore

I will be going to highpoint (i heard the full length is back open as the pipeline is done) or up to a farmers property this next weekend if this goes as planned

Darrin Darrin
Jan '15

How is the Promise Land trail system now? I was up there 7 years ago or so and there was a ton of logging going on so some of the trails were in rough shape. They were actively logging the day we were there so we actually had to maneuver around them (they probably should have closed the trail)

Thanks

summerhelp summerhelp
Jan '15

I will let you k now if we go, we have not been there in about 4 years

Darrin Darrin
Jan '15

Thanks.....It is a pretty area and not too far away.

Summerhelp Summerhelp
Jan '15

Going up to high point with the sleds today, if all goes well pictures will be to follow. Looking forward to some more fresh snow Sunday night into Monday. Looking at the trail maps looks like they opened up a bunch more trails.

Darrin Darrin
Jan '15

we did 40 miles up at high point today, nothing broke, so it was a great day!

Darrin Darrin
Jan '15

Anybody else been out riding? We have been doing 20-50 miles every Saturday, this has been a great winter after all, I hope many more follow this suit and more!

Darrin Darrin
Mar '15

Check out my early birthday present from the best wife ever!!!!!

Arctic cat F10000!!!!!!!!

Cant wait for snow!

Darrin Darrin
Apr '15

Who needs snow?

Darrin Darrin
Apr '15

Anyone else ready for some rideable snow? I cannot freakin wait to get the new F1000 out finally!

Darrin2
Nov '15

Yeah buddy!

Darrin Darrin
Jan '16

Everyone's sleds running?

Darrin Darrin
Feb '17

Just got back from Old Forge. Great ride.

Earnhardt
Feb '17

Nice pic (and sled) Earnhardt...totally jealous...I have never been to old forge

Darrin Darrin
Feb '17

Old Forge is the best thing next to Caribou Maine to run the trails !

Enjoy & Be Safe !

Steven Steven
Feb '17

FINALLY!!!!! 50 Miles in High Point NJ yesterday!

Darrin Darrin
Mar '17

98 miles yesterday. Hopatcong to PA.

younggen younggen
Mar '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.