TOPO - Vietnamese Restaurant

Pandan owner Jay Chai plans to open a new restaurant on Main Street in Hackettstown in the spring of 2014 that will offer Vietnamese cuisine. Looking forward to it!

Super! Can't wait to check it out.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '13

Hot f'n damn!!!!! I can't wait!

emaxxman emaxxman
Oct '13

yipppppeeeeee

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Oct '13

Pho King Awesome

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Oct '13

No way

elizabeth smith elizabeth smith
Oct '13

Should be some good noodle soups served there...

iJay3 iJay3
Oct '13

Before y'all ask - I cannot confirm or deny at this time :)

trekster3- trekster3-
Oct '13

Well - Here's the news --- Pandan Closing Long Valley location....

http://hackettstown.patch.com/groups/business-news/p/pandan-fusion-lounge-to-shut-doors-this-week-hackettstown

Wendy @ Hkt Bid Wendy @ Hkt Bid
Oct '13

emaxx, you'll have to give the full review.

At work we went to a restaurant in New Brunswick that was ok, not great. Indochine. Probably wouldn't go again. Had Pho with beef. Kind of bland.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '13

Ha ha MNJ! I'm sure I will be one of the first. I'll have to talk to Jay and make sure he has bahn xeo (Vietnamese crepes) on the menu. No one has them and it's a pretty common dish among the more competent Vietnamese restaurants.

Regarding pho, while it should have nice flavor, it's a very delicate broth. It's not meant to be this intense beef broth flavor like you have in a Chinese beef noodle soup. For a deep, really intense, rich broth flavor, you would need to go for some bun bo hue:

http://wanderingchopsticks.blogspot.com/2008/06/bun-bo-hue-vietnamese-hue-style-beef.html

While you're waiting, check out Saigon Pho in Parsippany on rt. 46. I liked it a lot.

For a crazily rich, flavorful broth, I also recommend the "Wonton Broth" at The Loving Hut. While being all vegetarian, I was blown away by it's deep flavor and hearty ingredients. I didn't try out their vegetarian pho but I bet it tastes awesome if the wonton broth was any indication.

emaxxman emaxxman
Oct '13

A lot of work going on in old Cara Mia space, could be the location

eapos eapos
Nov '13

eapos - This whole thing was started when I asked the question of what was going into that location since there were signs up "under contract". Jay then did an interview that was posted to the web spilling the beans.

Yes Jay is moving into the old Cara Mia with a Vietnamese food. Heard the tables will have the broth bowls built in. So excited. Good Ole H'Town is becoming a destination for food which is good.

Christine Christine
Nov '13

Awesome! We love the Pho place near 78 in Pburg area. Was hoping for a place like this closer.

I love me a good banh mi!!!!

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Nov '13

Any idea how long till they open?

Jennilyn Jennilyn
Nov '13

For a moment thought it said North Vietnamese

vous
Nov '13

Spring of 2014

And then when to the Pho little Siagon near 78 last week and their closing at end of Novemeber.

Well, technically, pho, the noodle dish that everyone equates Vietnamese cuisine with, originated in northern Vietnam near Hanoi. So, if the restaurant does serve pho, it will be a North Vietnamese restaurant. :-)

Most Vietnamese people only recognize North and South Vietnam as a consequence of the war with the French. Before that, Vietnamese people often referred to the country in a northern, central, and southern region context. Many elderly may still refer to it in that context.

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '13

FYI - The name of the new Restaurant is 'TOPO' - The Old Post Office!
No word yet on anything, still in major renovation mode so it'll be a couple of months at minimum!

Feb '14

Oh man, I've been craving bahn mi for months. This is probably why! I can't wait.

fuji
Feb '14

TOPO...interesting, if not odd, name. No matter, it's the quality of the food that matters.

I'd love to see a Viet place named "The Mountain Yard." ;-)

I hope they serve banh xeo. For some reason, that's always left out despite being a popular dish.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '14

Yes, there's a sign up in the window that TOPO is coming soon.

Specializing in three things; one I can't remember but the other two are noodle bowls and bubbly tea.

Could the third be hot pots? That's what I'm remembering.

Aquarius Aquarius
Feb '14

Re: TOPO - Vietnamese Restaurant

I haven't had a chance to walk by, but, Wendy, I love the name! That building is, indeed, The Old Post Office. I happen to have a print of an old photo of the building -- check it out! Circa 1905.

Really looking forward to a Vietnamese place! Thanks so much for the update!

Hopeful in H-town Hopeful in H-town
Feb '14

I'd love to see a Viet place named "The Mountain Yard." ;-)

Honorable, loyal people. Have any immigrated to US?

ignatz ignatz
Feb '14

I'd love to shoot the people who ruined the first floor of that building back in the (1970's ?). That was far and away the most unique storefront on Main street and now it looks like the first floor and second floor were stitched together out of two different buildings.

But I look forward to the Vietnamese restaurant and wish them all the best. Pandan room is pretty good, so I am hopeful.

eperot eperot
Feb '14

I had a good banh mi sandwich at the Black Horse Pub of all places. It was a special and was really flavorful. I've also made them at home with thinly slice pork tenderloin and quick pickled carrots and cucumber. Came out better than I thought.

I'll try a banh xeo on your recommendation, emaxx, next time I'm eating Vietnamese.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Feb '14

It was a Chinese restaurant back in the 70s Kam -fu I think it was called,back then we didn't have many Chinese places ,not like today lollll.Can't wait for some bubble tea !

MNJ - If you find a restaurant that makes it, let me know! None up in the Morris County/Warren County area make it.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '14

Please explain bubble tea

Bessie Bessie
Feb '14

Here, let me Google that for you... ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_tea

In short it's an iced tea with tapioca added.

Doesn't topo mean rat, or mouse, in Italian? Remember from Ed Sullivan?

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Feb '14

Emaxxman, care to chime in? I do like tapioca, not sure about drinking it though..GC, I know, Wikipedia is my friend, lol.

Bessie Bessie
Feb '14

I'm a straight green tea guy these days; never really drank tea as a kid. Bubble tea is not a Vietnamese drink. Vietnamese people are more known for drinking iced coffee sweetened with condensed milk (at least all the folks I know - including myself.) My mom did make a tapioca dessert but you sure couldn't drink it.

Now, who could really argue with a tea whose name was derived from the words for "big breasts?"

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '14

It may not be representative but for all the times I've eaten at Lemon Grass on Route 10, I've never seen a one order tea. Bubble or otherwise. Yet I've seen those coffee drippers every single time.

It's tapioca pearls/balls they put in the tea,I've had a lot of times you suck them up in large straw.Last week I had it in almond flavor,I've had taro,honeydew and cantaloupe flavor too.The place I had it at serves it hot or cold I've only had it cold ,I don't drink hot tea or coffee so not sure what that's like.

emaxxman & ignatz

There are some communities of Montagnards aka "Yards" who were lucky enough to have made it out and there are groups of Viet era SF Soldiers who have devoted themselves to helping out their loyal brethren.

One of the groups of "Yards" that have settled here are the "Hmong" people, best explained in the awesome movie "Gran Torino" where Clint Eastwood's character "Walt Kowalski" gets "enlightened" by his neighbor "Sue" after he saves her from a few thugs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxkHSJQYbB4

The largest group of Montagnard people (of various indigenous tribes) live in NC, while other groups are in Texas and Washington State. There are also groups in Minnesota and Michigan - as joked about in that clip, "Walt" being a retired FoMoCo Factory Assembly worker.

Gran Torino has the distinction of being the first "Hmong" movie and if you're interested in the basis for the movie, as well as the people, see the documentary. Part 1 is here and you'll be able to see the link to Part 2 on the right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy_yHyq-ZxU

A friend who was a Ranger in 'Nam told me he had immense respect for the "Yards" and as for myself, being of Scots Highland, German Highland and Polish Highland bloodlines, I respect and have a great deal of empathy for them.

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '14

Phil - Thank you for that. It was very educational and humbling since I didn't know much about the history here in the U.S. I will hang my enlightened head in shame now. :-)

I'm glad you guys picked up on my play of words.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '14

I went to college with a chap from North Vietnam; his family took their money and moved South at the beginning of the festivities and then just kept moving. Nice guy.

Feb '14

Thanks Phil,
The yards were looked down on by the Vietnamese much like the American indian was here. Like I said they were very loyal. I went on many hunting trips with them.

ignatz ignatz
Feb '14

Their is a place on Main St in Clinton next to a Thai rest that makes Bubble Tea though not as good as the ones from Chinatown.

Baci's mom Baci's mom
Feb '14

TOPO has their Website started and their FB Page!! Posted for a May 2014 Opening :)

http://toporestaurant.net/

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/toporestaurant

Mar '14

I seem to remember Tony Bourdain drinking a concoction called "milk tea" somewhere in SE Asia on No Reservations, but I think it was Hong Kong and not VietNam. It was poured quickly from glass to glass several times as I recall.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Mar '14

How come I don't recognize that building in the picture on the "About Us" page?

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '14

ian - I've heard it called pulled tea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X7W3lz9zi8

While Vietnamese people do drink tea, Vietnamese cuisine is not really known for it.

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '14

Pulled tea... that was it. Thanks.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '14

Any updates on an opening for TOPO? Very excited, love me some Pho!

Its coming along.....Saw them working on it the other day!

Christine Christine
May '14

FYI - it's looking like we're under 2 weeks before they open! Both their FB and Web page have not been updated, but here's their Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/toporestaurant

We'll keep you posted when we get a firm date!

Wendy @ Hkt BID Wendy @ Hkt BID
Jun '14

I want to try this one.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jun '14

TOPO is opening on Tuesday. Enjoy!

Can't wait to try it! Got to see inside on Sunday and try some bubble tea. It looks fantastic.

Wishing Jay all the best!

Joe Fisher Joe Fisher
Jun '14

soft opening today......

Christine Christine
Jun '14

I can't wait to try it. I wish they had a menu on their website or Facebook page.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '14

I wasn't personally invited to the soft opening!!!

Darwin Darwin
Jun '14

They were giving out menus at the Street Fair.
Baguette sandwiches w/ choice of meats, or avocado & tofu.
Pho Bo -- Big soup bowl w/ choice of meats, or a vegetable one with vegetarian broth.
Stir-fry -- vegetables w/ choice of seafood or meat (did not specify a vegetarian one)
Fried egg noodle --- same idea as Stir-fry.
Fried Rice -- vegetables, green peas, egg; .... choose meat or seafood.
Grilled platter on top of noodles ...various choices of meats, also Vegetables on Skewers.
Vietnamese Coffee
Bubble tea shakes -- w/ tapioca pearl or popping boba or mixed jelly.

happiest girl
Jun '14

Oh, also:
appetizers: daikon pickles, summer rolls and spring rolls (vegetarian or meats);
crispy fried tofu; chicken dumplings; crab triangle; shrimp cake;
desserts .... Lemongrass Crème Brule!! also pumpkin coconut custard, coconut ice cream.

happiest girl
Jun '14

Thanks happiest girl!

LOL @ Darwin

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '14

So they are no open to the public yet? I want bubble tea!!!

fujixt1
Jun '14

I went tonight. it was very good.! menu had a nice variety of foods.. Best of Luck Alan and Jay!! :) another fine place for an awesome meal !

darluggh
Jun '14

We were also there tonight. I was surprised the place was very small, 10 booths. I imagine the place will be packed during the weekend. We had the summer roll and Crab Rangoon for appetizer and Shabu Shabu and Pho. All were very good. Yes they had the bubble tea with either tapioca pearl, boba or jelly.

It was cash only tonight as their credit card system wasn't up yet and also no desserts yet. Best of luck to them. Great start so far!

Baci's mom Baci's mom
Jun '14

FYI - There menu is now available online -

https://attachment.fbsbx.com/file_download.php?id=255421911330997&eid=ASuBE88q_a-JmLh1F8z2AmyxYJ-TO4MyV2OVD84b3b_tNttFaXTVocP6JwEKxShe4Og&inline=1&ext=1403114530&hash=ASunxJz5JgPhajg7

Jun '14

Wendy - Can you double check that link? I'm getting a link to nowhere. :-(

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '14

Calico - Try going to their Facebook page if you go to 'About' there's a link for the menu there - that's where I found it -- it might be auto generating a different address every link.

https://www.facebook.com/toporestaurant

Jun '14

Thanks Wendy.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '14

The menu looks good. I can't wait to try the place.

Alas, they don't offer banh xeo. I don't know why Vietnamese restaurants have moved away from serving that. That used to be a mainstay on menus. I'll have to suggest that to Jay as a dinner special.

Now, the "shaking beef", is that made from mad cows?

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '14

Had dinner there today - was very good. Had some appetizers, sandwich, and Pho. Looking forward to going back and trying the hot-pot.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Jun '14

emaxx - What exactly is banh xeo?

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '14

Really excited to try this place!

Penningslandscaping Penningslandscaping
Jun '14

It's a crepe-like entree (probably influenced by French cuisine.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A1nh_x%C3%A8o

Traditionally, it's filled with shrimp and/or pork but you could use anything you want. I make it with shrimp, sprouts, cilantro, scallions, and Thai basil.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '14

emaxxman - i just noticed on the menu - the last breakfast item listed is pretty much as you describe... perhaps its the same??

Vietnamese Crepe:
original filled with shrimp, pork, bean sprout, basil, cilantro and cucumbers, served
with dipping sauce $9.99

LizInHtown LizInHtown
Jun '14

Yes it does. I'll have to ask them how it's prepared. Odd breakfast item though. I always want to take a nap after I eat one (but that's usually all meals.) Thank you for the heads up.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '14

Absolutely delicious. We had the appetizer sampler, fried tofu, a salad and Mango bubble tea. Everything was perfect and the coconut ranch dressing/sauce was heavenly. The decor was interesting and fresh. The button to call the waiter is genius. Our wait or was great too. I can't say enough good things about it!

For those that don't have FB, Topo's menu is now available on our website!

http://www.hackettstownbid.com/docs/topo-menu.pdf

Jun '14

Went last night and loved it! Will be a repeat customer! Best of Luck

Went there today. Overall, a very good experience and we'll be back many times I'm sure. It's a great addition to the town - not just because I'm biased towards the cuisine but because it offers yet another different cuisine that wasn't offered before. Plus, you get the same fresh ingredients and quality service that we've had from the Pandan Room.

My wife and kids ordered the shrimp stir fry with lemongrass sauce and chicken with the brown garlic sauce. Both portions were comparable to what you would get at the Pandan Room. The flavors were very good.

I ordered the ToPho variation of pho. The flavors were very good. If you tried the pho at The Pandan Fusion Lounge, then you'll like here too. My one nitpick is that the portion is a bit small given the price ($12) and when compared to other Vietnamese restaurants. I can't recall if the Fusion Lounge version was the same price and size or not. The portion will satisfy the majority of people but if you're a big noodle/pasta eater like me, you may still feel hungry. In that case, just eat your kids' entrees like I did.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '14

emaxx - TOPO posted their Sunday Breakfast menu - it looks like your crepe is on there!

trekster3- trekster3-
Jun '14

Cant wait to try breakfast at TOPO. You can never have enough good bfast spots. Does anyone know if they have a counter or is it just booths ?

jerseycash5
Jun '14

There are counters at the front of the restaurant - about 8-10 stools. You'll be facing out to Main Street or the side street though.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '14

Went on Friday for dinner. Was very pleased with the pho and the grilled pork lettuce wraps. Wish the pork sandwich, which I had a few days before, was more of a classic version of bahn mi. Theirs was missing the pate and ham. Nice to have another BYOB place, though. Looking forward to trying out their breakfast on the weekend.

fuji
Jun '14

Just had the beef banh mi. For $7, it was a very filling sandwich. The beef was ground beef shaped into breakfast sausage-sized pieces. I didn't realize that there were jalapenos in it and had added some sriracha sauce. Smoking!

Also, I did confirm that the Vietnamese crepes that they serve for breakfast is the banh xeo I was looking for. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Here's a pic from Topo's FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/toporestaurant/photos/pb.554842891281508.-2207520000.1404762462./609582539140876/?type=3&theater

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '14

We went Saturday night. The food was wonderful and the staff was just as wonderful. Jay did an amazing job on the interior and as always likes to meet and greet with his customers, honestly he makes each person feel valued. Looking forward to the breakfast crepes at some point.

wagsinhack wagsinhack
Jul '14

Just took the wife there today. The food was awesome, amazing flavour, and we were given great service. I've never tried bubble tea, and it was delicious. The waitresses were so friendly and offered recommendations that nailed it for us!

Topo is a great addition to Main Street. I'm loving the direction we are headed in Hackettstown! Please try this place, you won't be disappointed. I want it to do well enough to be around for a long time!

We also went last night. The renovations are beautiful. The food was very good and flavorful and reasonably priced. Service was also good. An excellent addition to Main Street.

Kate S. Kate S.
Jul '14

Had some food from there last night. It was very good. Will try again. The bubble tea was a fun treat.

sack
Jul '14

went there with DH for dinner last night. ordered the "hot pot" with lamb and brisket with the coconut broth and beef broth. DH really big on coconut. We had an extremely wonderful dinner and experience. The dessert I got was fabulous, a strawberry rice cake with strawberry ice cream and fresh strawberries. DH got some sort of pumpkin custard dessert. He loved it. We liked it so much we went back for breakfast this morning. DH ordered the eggs benedict and I ordered the crepe and we both got bubble tea. Again had a great experience and great food. We will definitely continue going back there and would recommend to our family and friends.

AMomToo
Jul '14

Everything was fabulous and we will be regulars!! Only comment would be that we agree with emaxxman in that the Pho bowls are small for the price compared to other Vietnamese restaurants.

Just had a nice outdoor lunch there today and we were just as happy with our second visit as our first :) the tofu is really terrific and everything was fresh, fresh, fresh! I also like our waiter Steven. I find him courteous and attentive without hovering. Very friendly young man.

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Jul '14

We have been to Topo four times now. Twice for dinner and twice for breakfast. If we could, we would eat there more often. We have had the Hot Pot, Seafood Pho, Hanging Grill, Eggs Benedict, Allan's English Breakfast, Vietnamese Crepe and Porridge. And fantastic desserts!! Everything has been fabulous. We haven't had any issues with the size of the meals as we always seem to walk out of there full. We think the price is reasonable compared to other restaurants we have been to though we have not been to any other Vietnamese so we can not say whether any of Topo's dishes are small. Jay is super nice, as is his wait staff. Great experiences every time.

AMomToo
Jul '14

We ate there tonight and loved it! The service was fantastic and the food was delicious!

We had the sampler appetizer and the the dumplings were out of this world!!! I had the chicken chow fun and my husband had the stir fry with pork with garlic brown sauce. Everything was delicious and the service was great! We will be back.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '14

Just had dinner tonight and enjoyed it very much.. I had the Hanging Grill and my husband had Beef Chow Fun.. He took home half of his.. Strawberry Sticky Rice is fantastic.. I also had the Green Tea Latte Bubble Tea Shake w/ Popping Boba.. Absolutely love this food..

Christine B Christine B
Aug '14

Crowds are gathering for TOPO's Grand Opening Celebration!

Aug '14

Based off the reviews could not wait to go to Topo. So disappointing_. Our entrees came 4 minutes after our appetizers which we were still enjoying_ we had asked the waitress not to put the entree order in until after the app so was surprised to see it arrive during the app. One entree had a hair in it and when we told the waitress she put it in a doggie bag and I had to tell her I would not take it. My husband was furious and just asked for his meal to be wrapped. They took the hair dish off the bill but Alan who knows us from the Pandan room was a no show with an no apology or discussion. I'm done. Will never do to either place again_

bebalini bebalini
Aug '14

Went for lunch... really enjoyed it.

bebalini ... sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I worked in food service for years in a bagel shop as a baker and food prep person. I know that this sort of thing can happen. I can understand you being upset with no apology from the chef though. But upset enough to never go where you enjoy again because of it?

No judgement, just wondering.

Bebalini, I am not sure what you are looking for? They didn't charge you for the dinner with the hair in it. Yes the appetizer thing should of not happened but all you had to do was tell them hold it til you were done. Their meals are always really hot in temperature so it should have been ok. I personally would call Jay or Alan and tell them what happened especially if you said they know you. But honestly what else would you like other then an apology. I would not never go back if you like it that much. Its a gem in our little town.

Christine Christine
Aug '14

bebalini,

This is your first post, you stated you were enjoying your app so apparently it was good,. as far as the meal that must have been good or you husband would not have taken it home. It sounds to me that you were treated fairly. Remember the world is not perfect mistakes are made. Out of 96 posts yours is the most negative, a tad more than 1% does that tell you something? They will most likely do fine without you.
Have a nice day.

ignatz ignatz
Aug '14

I also have an issue with having the entree arrive while still enjoying the appetizer.
Problem solved with ordering the appetizer and telling the server you will order the
entree when done.
I don't do this when the place is packed and I know they need to
turn over tables.

MikeL MikeL
Aug '14

A hair in the food is forgivable, but there is no excuse for a decent restaurant bringing entrees on top of the apps. I was at a nice steak house once, and they brought our steaks when we were half way through a large app. When I pointed that out, the waitress said no problem, she would put the steaks under the lamp. I told her she could comp the app or cook a couple of new steaks in twenty minutes, but we weren't paying for half an app or overlooked steak. They comped the app.

Gadfly Gadfly
Aug '14

I believe I was just sitting down outside Friday when bebalini was complaining. To me it looked like they were taking the last bites of their appetizer when it was brought out... The server apologized for the kitchen's mistakes, offered to take their dishes back and keep them warm, also, she offered another meal and dessert on the house.

I've worked in the restaurant business for many years and I was cringing from the way they were acting. What some restaurant goers don't seem to realize is that when food is expedited quickly it's because of the pace of the BOH and most servers don't want food getting cold. It seemed like this couple was only out to complain and expected the TOPO staff to revolve around them on a very busy night.

I don't think bebalini should go back, since they dislike friendly and prompt service.

gastronome
Aug '14

I do understand table turn especially in a small place like that, but if I am spending the bucks, nope ----- don't like to be pushed just for turn. I will try to be prompt if the place is packed, but I will not be pushed. I won't even let them clear until everyone is finished because I do not like to push others at the table just because I inhale my dinner.

And the longer I take, the more I tip so the server won't feel so pushed next time.

There are more subtle ways to move things along than piling the entree's on top of the appetizers for servers. The issue starts in the kitchen, the server should provide feedback there, but the server should have been able to mitigate a quick kitchen as well before jamming the customer.

To me ballbusterlalinni is right to push back, but never be rude. Wrap a meal with a hair in it ---- I certainly would have been saying no to that, but not so others could hear UNLESS the server made the mistake of insisting. Furious over fast entrees and a hair ---- well stuff happens, just have to be resolute in what you want.

Personally, it depends on the place whether I return or not but certainly would not write off Pandan due to TOPOS. Glad they are though, don't need to sit next to the fast and the furious.

Aug '14

TOPO got a write-up in the Express-Times today....

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/food/index.ssf/2014/10/restaurant_profile_topo_offers.html#incart_river

ianimal ianimal
Oct '14

Glad to see that. We really enjoyed our dinner there. We need to go back soon.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

Still going strong. My wife and I went for first time on Thursday night. Food and service were both great. Flavoring of the stir fry was fantastic. Can't wait to go back.

Aubontemps Aubontemps
Oct '14

Dined here for the first time on Saturday night...I wish we had gone sooner!
I forget our server's name but he was GREAT…very personable, he answered any of our questions, and made some great suggestions which we tried and loved!
We ordered and shared:
-Appetizers: Dumplings, Crab Rangoon and the red curry appetizer (I can’t spell it for the life of me)
-Dinner: Mi Chien Don (beef with sweet/sour sauce), Mi Chien Don (pork with lemongrass chili) and the ramen brisket dinner
-Dessert: Pumpkin custard, strawberry sticky rice and chocolate rum raisin cake
EVERYTHING WAS OUT OF THIS WORLD DELICIOUS!
We got to speak with Jay and let him know how pleased we are, and will now split our dining out between here and Pandan Room!
Can’t wait to go back and try something new each time we go! Keep up the great work Jay, Allan, kitchen staff and servers! Thank you for a great evening out!

av111ks av111ks
Oct '14

That red curry appetizer is new and is crazy good. It's not on the web menu but is on the menu at the restaurant. I can't remember it either but it's somewhat similar to the roti app at the Pandan Room.

emaxxman emaxxman
Oct '14

food all around is very good.i waiting for jay to bring out the ho chi minh burger.

puddin tain puddin tain
Nov '14

Ah, the Ho Chi Mink Burger: a revolutionary taste sensation for the masses topped with Russian dressing and a hidden trail's supply of greenery camouflaging it's true savory booby trap of flavors. First served in the North, this delicacy moved South and now is enjoyed throughout the country although the original is still on display, under glass, in Hanoi. French Fries will not be served with this entre.

ăn uống tốt

(too soon?)

Nov '14

lam the nao ban.wow I thought I was the only one to try a ho chi minh burger.i like mine topped with the Tonkin bay sauce.come on jay and get on board with the burger.

puddin tain puddin tain
Nov '14

Hi All of you, this is Jay
Thank you so much for your time writing up your feeling and sharing the knowledge about TOPO. For bebalini disappointment I only can apologize and like to reimburse you for another stir fry in the house next time you around, just tell your server "you are from hackettstown life". You may contact me directly 201 725 0785
This is the first time i read the post, and you guys make me laugh so hard. at least I know there's a litttle drama going on our little quiet town.
I have been pretty busy to get TOPO up and running, now it's my time to look for feed back. Here are a several things to look for in the future...
Yes.. Banh Xeu AKA Vietnamese crepe currently on brunch menu will be on regular menu soon.
Yes...I am working on Ho Chi Min burger with hidden chili explosion.
Yes: the ca ri ca, is the yellow curry thick paste served with baguette
Also working on Beef soup stew served with baguette as well.

Keep posting guys, you all make me things is worth it to pursue this hard working time consuming career.

Thanks so much for posting here Jay. It's always good to see people who care about the feedback of their businesses. My husband and I really enjoy both Pandan Room and TOPO very much. We wish you much success always!

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '14

Does the menu indicate which dishes can be made vegetarian (like Pandan's menu)?

hapiest girl
Jul '15

yes they do.
I was in Pandan on Friday and TOPO yesterday...

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Jul '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.