Need to build a fence around my yard for my puppy!

I just adopted a puppy and I live at Diamond Hill in Mansfield. I would like to know if you know somebody reliable and not too expensive that could build a fence around my yard. And its wood or wired better. Do i need a permit? Any suggestions? Thanks :)

Bella76 Bella76
Oct '13

Congrats! What kind of puppy? Post a pic??

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '13

Why not install the invisible electric fence for dogs? we did and it work great.

ralphfurley ralphfurley
Oct '13

Mansfield does not require a permit it is just a Zoning fee I think they called it. It was like 50 dollars and you just provide a property
map with a sketch of where the fence goes. I believe you only need a permit of it is over 6 feet high. We live in diamond hill and put in fence most quotes were between 5 and 8 k . The one we went with was like 7 k. Fence is not cheap. Good luck.

jdem,

You just made me feel better, as I thought it was crazy that our fence cost around 5K. It's 6' H and the enclosed area is approx 35'-40' X 100'-110'. We had to have a fence, our dog is a natural runner :(

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Oct '13

Depends on type and how long you can try calling Trend landscape they are local and I believe provide fence installation 908-850-6069

liberty guy liberty guy
Oct '13

Lori
It is pretty sad when fence cost that kinda money but it does make life a lot easier to just let the dogs run with some freedom in the back yard so it is worth it.

Do you really need to fence the total yard for a puppy? What kind of dog? We have 2 Basset hounds and fenced in about 50' x 100' with wire fence from Lowes. Fence + posts cost less than $200. and it was fairly simple.

Longhorn Longhorn
Oct '13

$7k? what?
let me add this to the reasons for not having a dog...

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Oct '13

The problem with fences is half the cost goes to labor. I got 3 estimates for my house and all came in around 8K. Ended up having some friends help me over 2 weekends. Total cost was $3500k which included the fence, cement, and rental of auger and beer

darwin darwin
Oct '13

The invisible fence only works with certain dogs. I have a beautiful, big, friendly Rottie but believe me that fence would not hold him back. Also note, that dog theft is on the rise and an invisible fence would not deter a would-be dognapper.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Oct '13

Same here, darwin. We fenced in two acres for about $1500 doing it ourselves.

JazzyKatt,
I had a big goofy friendly rottie too and as soon as she heard the beep before she got to the fence she would stop and she was a runner. I also have a jack russell mix and it keeps her in.

ralphfurley ralphfurley
Oct '13

Darwin, Yes, you really do just rent the beer.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '13

jdem,

My husband refers to our dog as 'the most expensive FREE dog ever', LOL

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Oct '13

Just get a radio fence. So much cheaper.

http://www.petsafe.net

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '13

Ralphfurley

My other concern with an invisible fence is how scared people would be walking by my house and seeing this giant Rottweiler sitting out there. Even though he is friendly, it would unnerve me a little as a pedestrian.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Oct '13

Jazzy,
I total agree with that. It happens every day with my two

ralphfurley ralphfurley
Oct '13

We did what longhorn did. Works fine. It is the usual, what works for one dog would not work for another. Some dogs will run right thru the invisible fence buried in the ground. If you have a dog that jumps on the fence, then a wire fence may not work or if you have a dog that digs, they would dig under it or just shove under it. Good luck with your choice.
Post a picture of your new puppy if you can for all us dog and cat lovers here on HL.

4paws 4paws
Oct '13

I fenced in my entire back yard (huge)... all three of my dogs run free and play most of the day.

happiness
Oct '13

Spectrum fencing.

happiness
Oct '13

Dog run - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-75-ft-Adjustable-Wire-Rope-Dog-Run-Kit-13080/100349311#.UmsYSVPQjow

Re: Need to build a fence around my yard for my puppy!

Thanks for all your suggestions. We actually got "Invisible fence". It costs us $1200. We also got 1 wireless disc that you can put inside your home for example in a room that you don't want your doggie to go to like my living room, he is also being train around the yard and so far he is doing good. He got a few scares when trying to go down the driveway, now he is very cautious when he gets close to the flags lol. My only concern it's the damn deer that comes and poops on my yard and he ate poop once. So I am trying to train him on that too. Having a dog it is not easy but My husband and I love him so much and he is not just my pet he is part of the family.

Bella76 Bella76
Oct '13

adorable, Bella

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '13

We had invisible fence in our last house. It was great to teach the dogs not to be darters. That disc thing was great for training to stay out of flower beds to.

Jazzykatt, you are right about the invisible fence. It does work for some dogs. It didn't work for mine. I have 2 dogs, one is a yellow lab and the other one its a dutch sheppard mix. Yesterday they took off when they saw deer in the back yard. The beep or shock didnt even bother my lab. They dissappear for almost an hour. They went back in the fields by the farms. It was a horrible experience. This is the second time they done that. I can not trust this invisible fence anymore. They could of gotten hurt or run over by a car. I need to get a real fence. Im just concerned now how much it will cost me i don't think i can afford $7000.

Bella76 Bella76
Feb '14

Well, Bella, you have some time to think about it! No one can install a fence with the ground frozen right now. :-( So glad you got your puppies back.

One other alternative might be shock collars. I do not recommend these, though, unless you hire professional dog trainers to show you how to properly use a shock collar. These would likely be more effective than a fence that beeps or shocks a dog, because the fence can't make human decisions about timing and prey chasing, etc.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '14

Hi Rebecka. I thought the shock collar and the invisible were the same. The one i have it beeps first then if they go forward they get shocked. Hows the shock collar works. This is the second time that this occur. I just have to wait for the spring to installed one. Meanwhile i am going to take them for a walk everyday so they dont get so bored.

Bella76 Bella76
Feb '14

Bella76-have you turned up the invisible fence collar as far as it can go? I, too, used to have the invisible fence for my black lab and I would have to have it going full blast for him and I would always have a problem in the winter with it. I'm so glad your dogs returned safely!!

kayaking kayaking
Feb '14

We did a post and rail fence with chicken wire. The wire is hardly noticeable. We didn't fence in the whole yard though. My husband was pretty smart - we fenced in a penned area that is accessible from our deck. We can open the sliders and let her into her area. It was much more cost effective for us than fencing in the entire yard and also much more convenient. We hired the fencing company up on rt 206 heading towards Newton to do the job and it was done in one day. I think their name is North Jersey Fencing although I'm not positive. I was very pleased with the end result. We have a beagle and they are notorious escape experts!

Antimony Antimony
Feb '14

FYI: A lot of people look at their property and think they have to fence in the whole thing. If you have a large property, determine how much area the dog may need to run around in, size and breed of dog matters here, and only fence it what you need.
Area becomes more of a large dog run as opposed to an entire fenced yard. Example: if your backyard is 100x200ft. Just run the fence 50x100ft. Just remember to add a gate at the back so you can access the rest of the property. You still have to maintain the unfenced part.
We had our chain link installed by Sears, but that was 20 years ago.
Congrats on the new puppy!

JBJSKJ JBJSKJ
Feb '14

Fences really aren't that bad to put in, materials are expensive though. If you're able bodied and have some friends that owe you favors you're in business. Don't get a vinyl one though, if they aren't put in right they can break easily under stress.

Congrats on the new puppy! Having a dog is the best. I don't know what I'd do without my toy Australian shepherd.

Penningslandscaping Penningslandscaping
Feb '14

Bella - Sorry, I should have been more specific. Electric fences do utilize shock collars, of course. What I meant was one that was hand-controlled by a human, using a gadget that looks like a walkie-talkie. We had one we used to use when our big male Shepherd was between 2 and 5, and was very intent on chasing deer. All we needed to do was sound the beep and he would turn around.

BTW - did you check that the electric fence is working properly in these frigid temps? Might that be why the dogs ran? I don't know if the weather can influence the system's functioning.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '14

a fence is going to be ideal but what you are doing by walking them everyday is what they need most! dogs have natural needs for daily structured exercise and a brisk walk or jog is the best way to have a healthy dog :)

kepa
Feb '14

Bella, I was desperate for a fence to contain my dogs several years ago, but didn't want to spend a lot. I purchased wire fencing and the green metal "T-posts" from Home Depot (or maybe Lowes), and installed it ourselves one spring. We have a ton of rocks, but the posts went in easier after I purchased the special tool to "hammer" them in.
It's not the most attractive, I admit, but is in our backyard, and connects with the back of our house.

Trying2Save Trying2Save
Feb '14

Tryingtosave, the only problem I have it is that my husband was recently in the hospital for a bleeding ulcer. He still a little weak. He can't really do much hard work on the yard, then I dont have family in this country that can help me and my yard is on a slope. Not the greatest! I tried invisible fence and didnt work for them. Once they see deer they go crazy. Right now i have them on a very long leash (both of them). At least they can still run a little and play outside. I got a few estimates and it is about $7000. So expensive. I had been saving a little so just have to wait I guess to save more and build it. It is so hard to do things on your own specially when you don't have family and we can really count with my husbands family either. So basically we are alone!! Thank you for all your great ideas. And tryingtosave I will look into that fence that you told me

Bella76 Bella76
Apr '14

Bella76 we live in Diamond Hill too, give Joe at DecksNJ a call- we had him redo our deck...and he also does fencing. We found him to be excellent to work with and paid attention to every detail. We'd love to do a fence too, but it's an expense. When the time comes, we'll definitely look to him first...a fence will keep the dog in and the neighborhood bear OUT!

LuvMyRescue LuvMyRescue
Apr '14

Invisible fences unfortunately don't always work. It's a shame you paid 1200 for something that's now useless. Real fences are really expensive, the material isn't cheap and it's pretty labor intensive. Not exactly super hard work, just time consuming.

PenningsLandscaping PenningsLandscaping
Apr '14

Penningslanscappung , the only good thing about yhe invisible fence its that I got $900 back , of course they kept the installationg charges. Its ok. Nothing I cant do. At least i got most of my money back.
Lovemyrescue, can you email me the phone number of DecksNJ , maybe i xan get a bettee stimate. Thanks

Bella76 Bella76
Apr '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.