Rainbow loom

Am I the only adult here that is addicted?!?!?

dooniD dooniD
Oct '13

I hope so...

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Oct '13

I love what the kids can make with them. I plan to get a kit for each of my granddaughters. I think it's going to be one of those items that sell out before Chrstmas/ Hannukah.

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Oct '13

what's a rainbow loom??

nails nails
Oct '13

I make them too

towny towny
Oct '13

Re: Rainbow loom

I am thinking it will be old news before it even becomes new news. How would and adult get addicted to this? What's the appeal?

Firefly Firefly
Oct '13

oh - hmmmm - not for me

nails nails
Oct '13

Firefly, I was with a friend yesterday who was wearing one of these bracelets. I had no idea it was a type of Rainbow bracelet. One of her older Granddaughters made her one to match an outfit she was wearing using two colors and it looked like a professionally made piece of jewelry. I was very surprised what can be done with that type of loom.

Oct '13

It's the latest "elementary/middle school" fad. It's cute for the kids but I am missing the appeal for adults. I remember being obsessed with macramé when I was a kid and my kids being into the Friendship Pins ( safety pins with beads) and friendship bracelets. Wait a week and there will be another new "fad" and someone laughing all the way to the bank! Please God let it be me! lol

Firefly Firefly
Oct '13

dooni - sounds like you would probably like knitting or crocheting. Have you ever tried either? If you like to work with threads and keep your hands busy, you might try them.

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '13

@firefly ..... Why wouldn't an adult like this? . A way to do something with their kids. Just like ur things u make out of silverware ... To each their own..

Relax Relax
Oct '13

I like making them with my daughters bot not addicted.

CGinHtown CGinHtown
Oct '13

Re: Rainbow loom

It is just a fun and relaxing hobby. Actually a lot of adults are "looming". Just figured I would bring it up for some positive conversation. I never got into knitting or crocheting and I think this is genius to be able to do so many things with little rubber bands. Not even saying I wear them stacked up on my arm, etc. Just fun to make them and charms for them, etc.. Actually sold a few as well.. adult size. LOL.

I started making some jewelry some months back, but this is the most fun for me. Anyways, like I said.. just trying to make convo and didn't expect some snarky comments. sigh.

(And just for the record, I do have a child in the house. She is only 4 and can't do much with it yet, but a basic one with my help. She watches me do it and I am just waiting for her to pick it up on her own.)

dooniD dooniD
Oct '13

I have no idea how to make them, but I can see where it would be a relaxing thing to do, similar to knitting or crocheting. Is the one in the picture one you made? It's very pretty, looks like you took it to a whole new level. Do you sell them at shows?

Bessie Bessie
Oct '13

Saw a young girl making them. Took her forever to make one. Don't see the appeal.
Have fun!

botheredbyuu
Oct '13

dooniD - that is a very beautiful bracelet. Much nicer than the standard bracelet that the kids are making.

My Middle Schooler is not interested in this fad. Which is great for me as she was into all past fads that came along.

It will come and go as soon as the new and latest fad comes along. At least this keeps them busy for a little while! LOL

Coralie Coralie
Oct '13

Relax..I asked a question and it was answered and to answer your question which was "Why wouldn't an adult like this" please refer to the answer to my question. Sheesh... How would I know the answer to something I don't do?

donniD Very pretty and much different than what the kids are doing and I totally agree with Rebecka that you would love working with different materials. There is definitely a market for your designs but I am not sure rubber bands has a lasting appeal. What about jute, waxed string or rawhide? Could the same principal or loom be used?

Firefly Firefly
Oct '13

Look up instruction videos on YOU TUBE for all different designs. I guess just type in "Rainbow Loom" or "Rainbow Loom Bracelet". My niece was making all diffferent designs this w/e & she's only 9.

Not4Nuttin' Not4Nuttin'
Oct '13

My friend's bracelet was done on a loom, but the Grand daughter used the more expensive, fine, semi-shiny braided cord to form a single woven bracelet. Yarn was not used. I know I am explaining this poorly. Saw other Rainbow type bracelets advertised yesterday which were made with thin black semi shiny cording , but with a few pearls and or a single charm woven into a single or double row for around $350.00 . They had a more classic style and simple design, nothing elaborate. This was from a jewelry store ad. Some extraordinary talent goes into the more " evolved" Rainbow type bracelets. Surprised me too! But kids seem to live those kits!

Oct '13

dooniD- Your bracelet is beautiful....nice work. :)

positive positive
Oct '13

The basic loom is at Michaels, and they even have classes for the kids on weekends. I haven't seen any rubber band refills there though.

hktownie hktownie
Oct '13

You can buy them via the internet, at Michael's, Hallmark, and Toys R Us, to name a few. We also found the refills at the Dollar store. My daughter loves making them, as does my fiance and her son.

My daughter is 6 and makes one in about ten minutes standard design . She says all the kids have them at school . I can't make one to save my life. I tried Deff not addicted my fingers are to big and I'm a guy Better than playing barbie's I guess god I'm getting old lol

Tombo Tombo
Oct '13

thanks for the compliments on my bracelet. :) that one is my favorite.

dooniD dooniD
Oct '13

FYI - Sklyands Pharmacy now has supplies and looms!

trekster3- trekster3-
Oct '13

where is skylands at? In town? I have yet to go to Hallmark. I don't drive so i buy my rubber bands online.. Ok see? that is why I am obsessed.. I dont get out of the house much :)

dooniD dooniD
Oct '13

dooniD --- Here's the info!

Skylands Community Pharmacy
78-30 Main St.
Hackettstown, NJ 07840
Phone: (908) 852-3784
Fax: (908) 684-3232
http://www.skylandscommunitypharmacy.com

Pharmacy the way it used to be,
Pharmacy the way it should be.

Prescriptions filled promptly while you WAIT!
ALL insurance plans accepted
Local delivery service
Hallmark Cards
Unique gifts for all occasions
Lottery
FREE gift wrapping of your purchases
WEBKINZ * SHINING STARS * TY GIRLZ
Located at the corner of Main St. (Rt 46) & Stiger St.

Hours: Monday - Friday 9:00 am - 8:00 pm; Saturday 9:00 am - 3:00 pm

http://www.hackettstownbid.com/shopping/skylands-community-pharmacy

Wendy @ Hkt Bid Wendy @ Hkt Bid
Oct '13

thanks!!

dooniD dooniD
Oct '13

That's great to know skylands has them. I could not for the life of me figure out how to make a simple one let alone a fancy one like yours dooniD!! My daughter had to have a friend show her how to do it! I am going to try again. I love that!

Townies Townies
Oct '13

The online videos are very helpful and easy to follow.

We'll the bracelet I posted a pic of, sold on etsy. Yay!

DooniD DooniD
Oct '13

I admire those who have creative talents in jewelry making. The market is there, especially on-line. Good for you, DooniD!

Oct '13

Yeah for you dooniD

Bessie Bessie
Oct '13

dooniD- good for you! :)

positive positive
Oct '13

One school is banning the bracelets. Too distracting.

botheredbyuu
Oct '13

There's a dollar store in Ledgewood (next to Pet store, weight watchers, Kohls) that sells the refill bags for $1.

My girls make these like crazy, better for them than wanting to play electronics all the time!!!

tripsy tripsy
Oct '13

That's great DooniD!

Firefly Firefly
Oct '13

Party City sold them, but sold out.

botheredbyuu
Oct '13

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.