Sun Power in Budd Lake

Just an FYI anyone who uses shell gas stations or affiliates of shell be very careful. My checking account was over charged by $240. Supposedly, the credit card machine was to blame, but in the last 12 hours it is continuing to be taken out and over charging and leaving me in the negative. I called headquarters and bc it's only an affiliate they have no control. I have spent all morning changing accounts please don't use shell horrible company. Also my bank said there had been a lot of skimming going on and this is one way it starts. Keep an eye out and don't use sun power in Budd lake or shell in hackettstown. This occurred at the sun power in Budd lake on route 46 east bound, next to 711. The owner of the sun power in Budd lake is also the owner of the shell in hackettstown on the corner of mountain ave and route 46.

Laurengm Laurengm
Sep '13

And this is why you should never use your ATM card to pay for anything. Get a regular credit card like Amex or Discover; they will ensure the charges are refused on your behalf.

emaxxman emaxxman
Sep '13

Gas stations are at it again. BP in Mansfield too. Use cash!

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Sep '13

Check the other thread about the same thing. This is happening all over at many stations. There are specific signs up at QuickChek for example that explain the charges and how they're backed out.

A coworker of mine told me this happened to her. They took $100 out when the sale was only $55, and her bank told her gas stations are allowed to take a big sum out and then put it back at a later date. What a bunch of BS... I'm using cash from now on.

Metsman Metsman
Sep '13

emaxxman said it best. Debit cards are for mac machines and nothing else. Using a mac card for purchases is asking for trouble.

sack
Sep '13

Omg. I live in Dover Nj. I came to meet a friend in Alamuchy Nj and got gas at the Shell gas station right off the rt80 exit 19 in Almuchy. I got only $5 regular gas on my PNC card (since gas is so cheap now $1.81 regular same cash and credit). I come back home to Dover which is a 30 min drive and I check my card balance online and I saw that they took out $50!! Instead of $5!! I called PNC immediately and they said gas stations do take out higher amount of money and the balance (in my case $45 =$50-$5) will be credited back within 3 days. I am furious that my available balance now is $50 less!! I asked the pnc rep. If he is positive and he said he is pretty sure but if not call back... so still wprried that Shell might have just put the wrong amount in, I called the shell gas station and the Lady who helped me inside the mart (that is part of the gas station) answered. I told her that I got charged $50 when I only got $5 worth she told me she is "very busy" and to bring the bank statement and receipt in. I told heri habrthe bank statement but the guy who pumped my gas never gave me a receipt! And she said "no no u bring the papers in im very busy," and Hung Up on me!! I called her back and she hung up again. So now I have to drive all the way back there 30 min there and 30 mins back and see what they can do which isnt even guarenteed to get my money back directly from them. So I would like to call shell and tell them of my inconvinience and wasting more gas and time. Does anyone know where I can complain the issue and get a resolution get my money back? Please tell me ur suggestion !!! Thank you

sarah sarah
Jan '15

your bank should handle it - was it a credit card or debit card??

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '15

It's just the way gas stations handle debit cards. Wait the three days until you have a real transaction go through.

sarah

That is a seriously wrongful policy if it's as GC stated. They shouldn't put a hold on or take out more money than the amount of gas you purchased. It's not like a heating oil company that you ask to fill your tank and they charge you the amount that it would take to fill an empty tank, then refund you the difference between what they charged you and what they actually pumped into the tank after they actually fill it. They potentially could have filled the whole tank.

As far as gas goes, asking for $5 worth is $5. You're not asking them to potentially fill an empty gas tank, then getting a refund if they don't pump that whole amount or putting a hold on more than they are actually going to pump. In effect, if they are taking out $45 more than you specifically asked for, they are stealing and using the "float" of your $45 and multiple other people's to earn extra money. If it's a matter of Corporate practice, I'd not use that station/brand ever again and would complain to their offices as to why you'll no longer be a customer, as well as complain to the banking regulatory commission.

Can you imagine going to a Dollar store, buying $5 worth of nontaxable items, giving them a $50 and them telling you to come back with your receipt in 2-3 days and they'll give you your $45 back? That's insane, but it's essentially the same thing!

I normally use either cash or my gas company card and ALWAYS get a receipt. Of course that means that I usually get out of the car, but that way I A) get a receipt, and B) make sure my card gets back to me. Many places put your card in then pull it out, but leave it in the scanner until the gas has pumped where it can be "forgotten", especially since many people sit in their cars (many times with the engine running, which is illegal, by the way). Always insist on a receipt, so you have proof. I normally write my mileage on it, then zero my trip odometer so I can figure my car's MPGs as well.

Best of luck. I hope it works out OK for you in the end!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '15

Phil D - This is a dead thread from two years ago. There is another one going over how that's exactly the policy because of theft when gas was $3.85. It also went over how the banks are part of the culprit. Even if the transaction is the same day, the bank is quick to hold it, slow to release it.

Happens very often and its wrong. Quest Diagnostics on Mountain Ave does that now too. Zero co-pay, yet they ask for CC to "hold" their amount they charge. Mine is $60. It usually never ends up on the CC.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jan '15

always get a receipt, even if it's $5 of gas.

Poppy Girl
Jan '15

I have a credit card i only use for gas. Gives me cash back at 5.25%. So not only is it more secure, i get some cash back at the end of the month. Pay off the balance every month and i can track exactly how much gas i used for the month.

darwin darwin
Jan '15

GC

I realize it's an "old thread", but was responding to "sarah" who revived the "old thread" just a day ago.

I don't remember seeing the "more current" thread you've mentioned. Perhaps you could have kindly given us a link so we can all join in over there. Besides, asking for $5 worth is asking for only $5 worth, no matter what the price of gas and if the pump is set for that amount it won't pump $50, it will only pump $5 anyway.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '15

"Gives me cash back at 5.25%"

Care to share darwin? I haven't seen anything that high myself, that's awesome in a ZIRP approaching NIRP environment.

justintime justintime
Jan '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.