Port Murray Dairy bottle

Port Murray Dairy bottle

Found this old milk bottle while in Deer Park this morning. I immediately thought to post a picture on HL. When I got home and googled Port Murray Dairy there was already a thread about the bottles.

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/102000 Its been closed though

Swampy Swampy
Sep '13

Re: Port Murray Dairy bottle

I decided to pick some zinnias for Mrs. Swampy and use the bottle as a vase

Swampy Swampy
Sep '13

Sweet!! I'm sure Mrs. Swampy will be Happy!

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Sep '13

That's interesting, every single zinnia that grew for me this year is that same magenta color, out of a mixed seed pack. Maybe its the season. Mrs Swampy should love it!

hktownie hktownie
Sep '13

My grandfather was the manager of the Port Murray Dairy, before my time but my dad and his sisters talk fondly of their memories of the dairy and the stories their father would tell. They love their PMD memorabilia! So random that you found it at Deer Park! It looks like it's in beautiful bottle. Enjoy it!

LittleWing LittleWing
Sep '13

Port Murray Dairy bottles and artifacts can be found at local flea markets.

HtownForum HtownForum
Sep '13

hktownie, I save the dried up heads every year and pick the seeds out in the spring then plant them. I plant alot of zinnias. Works great for marigolds too

Swampy Swampy
Sep '13

@HtownForum; glad you liked my photo.

I found 2 of their milk crates in the garage of the house I bought this summer. Both were pretty badly rotted but I was able to get 1 good name plate off of one of them. I'm thinking of putting it in a shadow box and hanging it up. Anybody know how to preserve that type of wood without ruining the patina?

Flickr page for photo of name plate if anyone is interested:
http://flickr.com/#/photos/thegodlyme/8706543682/

Some Guy (Art) Some Guy (Art)
Sep '13

I have a metal port Murray dairy crate. Rusty but name plate in good condition.

Anybody want it?

cliff fisch cliff fisch
Sep '13

Yes, I saw some area dairy items at the Tewksbury flea a week ago including a Long Valley bottle. Pretty cool.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Sep '13

WOW Does this bring me back, we made MILK RUNS everyday from 1947 to 1971 in my uncles huge FORD F-750 Tandems from Perth Amboy, NJ to PORT MURRAY Dairy, used to get up during the summer at 2 am (we were kids about 8 yrs old in 60's) and drove the back roads to the dairy (no 287 yet) , got there and smells of sour milk and the clanking of the floor chains that fed the wooden cases to the trucks, unc got top priority as he had a huge reefer that would take about 2 hrs to fill, once in a while we would get choco milk from the workers out of the dairy and sit on the fenceoutside and watch the sunrise.way cool............. there was an abandoned rail trestle nearby and we'd explore that and run around the fields till the truck was loaded and sprayed with ice chips from the chipper and made the trip back to PA where the milk run was sorted for the next day............glass bottles with paper tops crimped with buttons that had the type of milk inside..............might have some of the paper tops and buttons around yet..............

gerry gerry
Sep '14

I have two panther ledge farms milk bottles in fair condition. What are they worth?

Janster Janster
Dec '15

Used to sit on aunt Alice and uncle Joe's porch and watch them pour the big cans of skim milk on the R/R tracks. In those days you couldn't give it away.

Donw2 Donw2
Dec '15

My father delivered milk in the late 1930's, with those glass bottles and wooden carriers, hard work at 4 AM, but he helped support his parents' family of seven during high school. I have some of the stuff he used, but I am not giving it up. Back in the day, you also had the fish monger, bread man, sharpener man, etc., all using hand-carts. Would love to get my hands on some of these carts.

DannyC DannyC
Dec '15

Worked for Riddle's Daiy in Hampton (1953-56) and delivered Port Murrray Dairy products exclusively to many homes in Lebanon Twp., Bethlehem Twp., Changewater, New Hampton, Hampton, Glen Gardner, Asbury, Woodglen, Anthony, etc.. My employer Gilbert Riddle distributed milk for over 40 years.

I am trying to acquire glass bottlers from Port Murray Diary - 1/2 pt., pt, quart and the half-gallon. Will pay reasonable amout and all shipping costs.

Dick Barber
142 Monticello Circle
Lake of the Woods
ocust Grove, VA 23508-5331
H: 540-412-0108

Richard Davis Barber Richard Davis Barber
May '17

My grandfather worked there until he retired. My grandparents lived right across the tracks, by the old train station, and he could just walk to work. I have so many wonderful memories of Port Murray, my grandparents, and spending summers with them. Wish I could have one more week from then, a time of childhood innocence.

Curious Curious
May '17

Looking for Port Murray milk memorabilia. Father delivered PM milk in 1950s thru 1970s

Jo Lindsay Jo Lindsay
Oct '17

Still looking for glass Port Murray milk bottles, all sizes and metal or later wood crates.
Will pay reasonable prices and shipping costs.

I notice the L" is missing in Locust Grove in my May 17 entry,

Richard Davis Barber Richard Davis Barber
Apr '18

If you are interested - the Fulton History.com website has a copy of the Washington Star Gazette, Thursday November 23, 1989 page 6 covering the history of the Dairy, a 1940s picture and a photo of several of the former employees prior to closing.
Gilbert "Skip" Riddle

Skip Riddle Skip Riddle
Apr '18

looking for any information on port murray dairy. we are putting a book together. warren county nj milk bottles. it will have milk bottles, advertising ,milk, cans,porch boxes and anything related to dairys who bottled milk ,creamarys

BUTCH SHOEMAKER BUTCH SHOEMAKER
Aug '18

Just found this amazing piece and I've always wanted one! I believe it is a creamer can if anyone knows please let me know. It says "Port Murray Dairy Co. Port Murray, NJ". I live in Louisiana, crazy to think how old this piece is and its story of how it got all the way down here.

Haylie Haylie
Oct '18

Wow haylife! Thanks for posting that pic on our little forum, very cool

Consigliere
Oct '18

I have the best memories of spending almost every day I could on the milk truck with my grandfather. When I was a freshman in college I had to leave college early to run the business because my grandfather need life-saving surgery. I was able to keep the business and he was able to return to his route. I am looking to find some good memorabilia from my Port Murray days. If anyone has a milk case, milk bottle, etc. , please let me know!

Donna Furrey Donna Furrey
Sep '19

I am looking for a large milk can from Port Murray Dairy. My grandfather worked at the dairy for many years as a night watchman etc. The chocolate milk was out of this world. The milk with the cream on the top my grandmother and I would churn butter. My grandparents lived over the Firehouse for so many years. It was my fun place to vacation and it brings back so many childhood memories. My grandfather had first worked for the Puritan Dairy in Perth Amboy, N.J. and then was transferred to Port Murray. It was such a quaint town with a one room school house. I remember some names of the town people. In a small town everyone knew everyone. I used to go to the Methodist Church when I visited to Sunday School My grandparents were Samuel and Flossie Pim, is someone should remember them. I remember Charlie Barber, the Perry boys who owned the General Store, the Marlatts who owned the peach farm. Charlie and Lovey Spangler. When my father died when I was 10 my grandparents moved back to Perth Amboy in 1953 to live with mom and I as my sister got married. Pop died the next year at 69, but gram lived to be 102. I would love to hear from someone who has these memories also of Port Murray.

June Denes June Denes
Sep '19

Does anyone know anything about Simons Milk that was bottled by Port Murray? I have about 25 paper bottle caps. My husband's uncle was a milk delivery person in NJ but I am not sure where. It must be where these originated.

Diane Gohsman Diane Gohsman
Feb '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.