Cbel's Garden at the Library

The Duke and I stopped at the Library this morning to water the plants in Cbels Garden and were pleasantly surprised to see two hanging planters filled with petunias there that someone obviously left for the garden. At the same time, Iris (our garden designated designer) came along and volunteered to go over tomorrow and plant the petunias into the ground. Thank you so much to the person that left the plants there. Anyone who wants to stop by and do the same or check to see if the plants need water or to pull a few weeds or even just to check out the garden when you visit the library, please feel free to do so.

joyful joyful
Jul '13

terrific!

true story: stayed home today, went out to mow my backyard. a big yellow butterfly went by . I stopped the mower and watched it go up and sit in a tree.

about 15 mins later as i was riding around mowing my backyard, same butterfly flew in front of me and hovered, (about 6-8 feet away) kept hovering till i stopped the mower and looked right at it.

it watched me for a few seconds and then flew and sat high in a tree and watched me some more. i tipped my hat to it and said a quick prayer. i mean i am stunned by this, truly stunned. and it happend just that way. nothing added or embellished.

i mean like wow, just wow!

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jul '13

Great feeling BD isn't it?

Christine Christine
Jul '13

It's really amazing ~ love it! :)

happy2bhere happy2bhere
Jul '13

You don't have to convince me, BrotherDog...The yellow butterfly was up at the library garden again today too. I can understand butterflies (and even yellow ones) being around a butterfly bush but when you have the experience that I had......opening the kitchen door and seeing the yellow butterfly just sitting there looking back at me perfectly still and as you just experienced while mowing......no doubt in my mind this is our sign from Cbel.

joyful joyful
Jul '13

yes christine, feeling humbled, and in awe, and puts my daily grind of little problems in perspective, i have had a few unexplained spiritual experiences in my life, and this one goes right to the top of the list.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jul '13

Thanks for starting this up, I meant to do it earlier. Lowes bargain cart had those hanging baskets for $1 each. So I figured we could fill in some spaces with that. I planted them just after 1PM.

One of the things I wanted to say is even though the weather is no longer super hot, you don't realize it only takes a couple of dry days. I think on an on going basis more than the weeding, watering is going to be a regularly needed task. The black eyed susan in particular was drooping a bit before I got some water to it.

Luckily most of the plants there like the daisy, the irises, the day lilies, etc. are all reasonably drought resistant. But the coreopsis, and the blanket flower (despite seeming to currently be quite well) definite are going to want some regular water. The heliopsis in the center is just solid in its location.

At some point we need to get more mulch on top. That would be an easy thing for people looking to donate. If you don't want to spread it out, just drop it by in the back and someone else will take care of it.

Future: fall planting for bulbs and mums
Future: spring planting of gladiolus & clean up

maybe leave a watering bucket inside the library and then we can stop by fill it up inside somewhere then walk outside with it?

i'll check into setting that up.

till then i will bring some water by once in a while.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jul '13

.GC: ..we watered the Black Eyed Susan at about 11 and you again at 2??...Iris expressed the importance to not overwater and that rain was expected tonight but glad we did now that you said it dried up that fast.. We will check daily.

joyful joyful
Jul '13

joyful - The black eyed susan definitely looked better this afternoon than yesterday. But it was still wanting when I was there. It does seem even after the quick storm on Sunday that it really does dry out pretty quickly.

I've transplanted coreopsis before and I think even if it does not do well this year, it will grow back next year. The same might be true for some of the other plants. I will bring a 5 gal jug of water down daily and water. I know that is just a drop in the bucket but figure every little bit helps.

Chickadee Chickadee
Jul '13

I will gladly help with the mums in the fall.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jul '13

I did cbels hair. And I'll have you know that on my run the other day a yellow butterfly was following me all through Stephen state park. I just read this thread a few hours ago and as I was sitting outside watching my kids play there it went, a yellow butterfly over my head.

Happiness
Jul '13

is there any way can contribute financially - I have no idea how to plant anything unless someone is willing to direct me. more than happy to do whatever is needed, unfortunately, I have no planting skills.

skippy skippy
Jul '13

skippy;

good stuff, no money needs to be donated, but as GC said above , (and I quote):

"At some point we need to get more mulch on top. That would be an easy thing for people looking to donate. If you don't want to spread it out, just drop it by in the back and someone else will take care of it.

Future: fall planting for bulbs and mums
Future: spring planting of gladiolus & clean up"

if you want, bring some water for The black eyed susan, pull a few weeds if needed (there are no weeds right now, but that could change)

thank you for expressing an interest

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jul '13

Skippy - right now just buy a bag of mulch and drop it off. That would be a great help.

ok where can I drop it off - FYI I have no Idea about flowers or gardening

skippy skippy
Jul '13

GC: Thanks for planting the petunias! I'll head over to Lowes and see what else they have to fill in a bit. Petunias should last into September or October so long as we keep them and everything else watered. It is supposed to rain tomorrow and Friday but if it doesn't, I'll bring water over.

skippy - Drop off directly at the garden at the Route 46 Library in Independence.

Iris - Didn't have time but should also check around some of the other places for the deep discounts on annuals this time of year.

where exactly is this garden

i was at the library today, i didn't have a lot of time to look for it, but it is definitely not visible from where i was

Erik B. Anderson Erik B. Anderson
Aug '13

should it be cedar mulch, red, black? I'd like to drop some off too, would be good if all donations are the same kind.

hktownie hktownie
Aug '13

Cbel's Garden is at the Warren County Library (Old Best's Fruit Farm building) off Rte 46, West, Hackettstown....To the left of the front entrance of the library you will see two flower gardens...Far left is Cbels Garden . The plaque identifying which garden is hers is in place there as well. Donations can be left by the garden at anytime. Thank you again for all those who have helped to make Cbels garden become a reality..

joyful joyful
Aug '13

hktownie - Good point. I would think just what ever kind is fine, doesn't have to be cedar. The color is currently dark brown, might be good to stick with that.

Erik - check the other thread of Prayers for cbel, there's extensive discussion about developing the idea and location, etc.

I'm going to check for annuals at the Home Depot in Succasuna today after my doctor's appointment. Are we looking for anything at this point or still just yellow?

Tracy Tracy
Aug '13

Tracy - I don't know that it matters with the annuals since they'll be gone next year anyway. But on the other hand, some nice marigolds would be perfect. ;-)

That's what I was thinking, GC. Thanks!

Tracy Tracy
Aug '13

cool - what color mulch you guys want?

skippy skippy
Aug '13

dark brown mulch

hktownie hktownie
Aug '13

ok - ill pick up a couple of bags and leave it there

skippy skippy
Aug '13

So Home Depot in Succasunna had large yellow marigold plants for $4. Due to my pregnancy brain, I forgot to go back and get some after my trip to Shoprite which included a contact lens emergency. Will check to see if our HD has the same sale going on.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '13

Re: Cbel's Garden at the Library

Please comment- please. I did not know cbel and have no idea who she is. I do know that she was wonderful by the threads previously and ill for a bit. I have followed the threads ad have been praying for her. I noticed this last library thread and assumed she had passed on. So - I pray for all those surrounding her. Well, the butterfly thing freaked me out. Yes, they are numerous in the area this year, but amazing what is written here. So, anyway - I felt the same for the last few days and have been wondering about this silly yellow monarch. I live on the mountain, no where near you guys. I brushed it off as maybe a sign or just my crazy interpretation of who knows what. But today, I have to share this. This cbel wow. Anyway, I have some things I have been concerned about and just finished reading this thread. I pray and feel badly she passed- even though I have no clue - remember that part - I am a total stranger to all involved here. Anyway, my daughter wakes up - comes to me just now and says- come here mom - I say what is it - a bug what - she says it is a huge moth and it has been here all night. I say where - She points - it is a monarch butterfly OUTSIDE HER ROOM_ IN THIS HOUSE! I am insane I guess because I start to cry - she thinks I am insane and we took it outside to the butterfly bush. Butterflies do not come inside. They do not hang around who I am worried about. They do not just appear on my light no less ( I put a charger light outside her room because of all of the power issues lately.
I will attach the pic asap. So, maybe I am crazy and reading into this, maybe not. Either way I need to tribute this woman - and will visit that garden. I do need to tribute her here though by asking to know just some simple things about her. Please share. Thank you. Sorry about the crazy rambling, I am still shaking.

blacktie
Aug '13

nobody else buy mulch lol.

skippy skippy
Aug '13

skippy - That many bags?? ;-)

Thanks.

blacktie - If you go to the other thread and scroll up from the bottom to right about the time she passed there are some excellent comments about the type of person she was. That butterfly you have a picture of is called a "swallowtail", and is exactly the kind we've all been seeing. There's a big butterfly bush right next to her garden and those swallowtails are all over it. Particularly when all of us are there together. ;-)

Blacktie I know you and you are not crazy. You were thinking about cbel and she let you know she is there. That's all nothing else to worry about.

Christine Christine
Aug '13

Blacktie, are you the same as Blacktie Antiques? If you are, then maybe Cbel is sneaking around trying to finally find out what you named that white kitten? I know she really wanted to know the name of it.

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/443613

If you are not, then my apologies. If you are then I believe it bugged her she never knew the kitties name! :)

youngnfresh youngnfresh
Aug '13

and equally freaked out that the last poster was "butterfly"!!

Sorry to hijack the garden thread.

youngnfresh youngnfresh
Aug '13

I went to the H-Town HD and got 4 orange marigold plants. These weren't the same big pots as the Succasunna HD, but they are nice and tall. They were 99 cents each and there were still a bunch left plus a few other kinds of annuals for the same price. I will drop them off at the library in the morning.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '13

Thank you, Tracy. Hopefully Iris or GC or BrotherDog can plant them in the ground there soon. If I tried to do the planting...it would be a disaster so I will leave the planting to the "experts".

joyful joyful
Aug '13

ok - im silly - currently at home depot - how many bags should I get? 5 ?

skippy skippy
Aug '13

ok im gonna get 5 bags

skippy skippy
Aug '13

I was thinking 4-5 would work.

maybe sat morning i can stop by with a shovel to plant them,

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Aug '13

I could certainly plant them myself...it's only 4 small plants. I just don't want to ruin the aesthetic design.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '13

I'll stop there tomorrow morning after physical therapy appointment and plant them. Thanks, everyone, for your donations!!!

Iris, what time do you want to stop by so I can make sure the plants are there for you?

Tracy Tracy
Aug '13

I dropped the marigolds off this morning around 9:30. There were three yellow butterflies sitting on the lilac (?). Another one flew over my car as I was pulling out of the driveway.

I smiled when I saw that one of my lilies opened up even after being transplanted.

The garden looks great. Thanks to all those who have spent so much time working on it.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '13

Thank you, Tracy and thank you also to Iris for planting them...Cbel's spirit said "thank you" also to you Tracy with the yellow butterfly sighting...

joyful joyful
Aug '13

sorry I haven't brought mulch yet - its in the back of my truck. I will bring it by saturday am

skippy skippy
Aug '13

Took a ride up there again this afternoon to check out the new plants and it still appeared pretty dry so I went back home.......filled the water jugs and watered all of the plants again. Hope I am not overwatering but I don't really think so.

joyful joyful
Aug '13

joyful, of course I forgot water when I went up this morning, but I thought it looked dry too, even with all the rain yesterday. The garden is in direct all day sun (it seems), so it probably doesn't take too much for it to dry out.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '13

I brought a couple of buckets by. It definitely gets a lot of sun. The perrenials aren't such water hogs, but the petunias and marigolds now definitely need to be kept up. And for what ever reason that black eyed susan in the middle looked a little parched again. It perks right back up, but it does seem to really want the water.

Tracy - I saw the day lily too, and snapped a picture of it.

It seemed like it rained a lot yesterday but we only received about 1/4" or so. I heard it is supposed to rain again tomorrow but if it doesn't, all plants will definitely need to be watered again.

I guess no one thought we might a little sprinkle right now. ;-)

do you guys want me to spread the mulch or leave the bags? keeping in mind I have no idea what the hell i'm doing

skippy skippy
Aug '13

bro dog - wanna meet me and you can show me what to do? email me please - I want to help but I don't have the skill

skippy skippy
Aug '13

Spreading the mulch is really, really easy. Just try as best you can to make an even layer, that's all you have to do.

ok will do

skippy skippy
Aug '13

GC ~ are those from the "not yellow" plant I brought? I love how this whole thing is coming together -- both people AND plants ~~ Carol is LOVING this! :)

happy2bhere happy2bhere
Aug '13

happy2bhere - Yes, the maroon one is a dahlia. That's hasn't skipped a beat since being planted.

This is a picture of the other one, the yellow heliopsis. It hasn't skipped a beat either, it was in full bloom when being transplanted and still is water or no.

I agree about Carol would love it, even beyond the people now think about where the plants came from. I gave you the heliopsis, you grow it, then donate it. The daisy I donated originally was from abbadabba. There's a lot of connections here.

Looks as if no watering is needed today at Cbel's garden. I will not be around all day tomorrow so would appreciate if someone could go over to the library sometime during the day and water the plants. Thank you so much!

joyful joyful
Aug '13

im going to do the much tonight - if it looks like things need water I will wet the mulch

skippy skippy
Aug '13

Even if it doesn't look like it, wet it anyway unless we're just about to get rain. One of the benefits of mulch is to keep the moisture in and stop it from evaporating.

ok , try this out for a watering plan . . . . .

stopped in the library today, spoke with the director (Cindy) and we spoke about the garden. the library folks are very happy and pleased with how quickly this has all come together. they said they are loving the way everyone is working as a team on this.

ok, there is a watering can and a faucet in the the library, just ask at the desk that you would like to water the garden and someone will show you where they are located.

when you get to the faucet inside the closet you will find a nice bright red 2 gallon plastic watering can. fill it and look to the right, at the end of the hallway is a door that leads outside. open the door, look down on the left hand side for a stone to block the doorway with so you don't get locked outside.

this door opens to front of the building, eaxctly between the two gardens. As you emerge, cbel's garden is on your right and Karen's mothers garden is on your left.

don't be shy, ask at the desk, once you do it, one time, then next time just go and get the watering can. please put it back and close the door when you are done. leave the stone there outside for future use.

easy - peasy;

and i'm thinking that a quick post here on the forum to let all know when you watered might be helpful.

maybe like this: 'Watered black eyed susan's today at 10:00 am'

please let us know any questions, issues you may encounter, we will get it right.

thanks guys

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Aug '13

mulched

skippy skippy
Aug '13

another pic of mulch - I bought 5 bags and only needed for - left the extra there on the side of the building

skippy skippy
Aug '13

Thanks!!

np thanks for letting me help

skippy skippy
Aug '13

I am going to thank you too, anyway, Skippy. I spoke with Cbel's daughter today as she said she stopped up there when we first started working on the garden and could not get over everyone planting this beautiful garden in her Mom's memory and how so many of her HL friends all pitched in to see this become a reality.

joyful joyful
Aug '13

no need for thanks - just tell me what I can do to help. I have no skills, however, I am willing to do clean up and grunt work

skippy skippy
Aug '13

Great idea...Brother Dog and thanks again to you for checking in with the library and arranging for us to obtain some water from inside for the garden. Personally, I find it just as easy to keep a few full containers of water in the car and when ever I am up that way just stopping by and watering the plants. Also, when the library is closed or their library hours are over...we would not be able to obtain the water anyway. But...agree it might be good to post here when you do that so we can have a idea who is watering and when. Many have asked me why we are doing this for Cbel...I think it is because all of us HLers that have had the oppotunity to get to know her and yes, love her....really did not get the opportunity to express our sympathy on her passing in any other way than this. So, to any of you who knew Carol and just want to do something...please visit her garden..plant a plant that you think would look nice...take up some water...whatever makes you feel better and while there.... let her know we are going to miss her and already do.....very, very much!

joyful joyful
Aug '13

I didn't know her but I wish I could have. She touched many peoples lives. I am glad to participate in a group HL project

skippy skippy
Aug '13

Can the moderators please pin this to the top?

Christine Christine
Aug '13

You did a wonderful job mulching, Skippy...Thank You!!! And, Thank You to brotherdog for checking with the library. It will be easier during the week to stop in and water now. The garden looks wonderful!

agreed - any way we can get this as a "sticky" at the top of the forum?

Thanks for the kind words Iris.

skippy skippy
Aug '13

anyone got a chance to stop by the garden today? I wont be home till after 830

skippy skippy
Aug '13

I plan to get over there this afternoon, Skippy... and will water...

joyful joyful
Aug '13

Great thank you!

skippy skippy
Aug '13

I have been away, but I have to write here. Carol was my friend for 32 years. We worked at Bell Labs together and formed a lifetime friendship I will treasure forever. She always encouraged me to get on this forum. I used to read the threads every day but never wrote anything. She is the one who picked my forum name. She talked about all of you all the time. The good and the bad. But for the most part, it was all good. She would absolutely love the garden. What a great bunch of friends she made here.

As for the butterfly. The day after one of the first butterfly mentions, I went outside to take my puppy out. There on the garbage can where I stand to let the dog do her business, is this giant yellow and black butterfly. All I could do was stand there and cry and talk to Carol. I know it is butterfly season, and some will say that there are yellow butterflies everywhere, but knowing Carol and how she felt about the afterlife, I have to believe. I see the butterfly everywhere I go now and I know she will be with me and all of those she loved forever. Thank you for the garden and all the wonderful comments!

Love to Sing Love to Sing
Aug '13

wow - I am a former AT&T person and a pioneer (DNCC) - that's great! Thanks for sharing!

skippy skippy
Aug '13

Thank you ..Love to Sing..Carol and I shared stories many times about the spiritual world and the "beyond"..She knew my favorite thing in the whole world was the butterfly...her favorite color and yes, the day after she passed on...I opened my kitchen door and there perched on the deck railing just not moving but almost staring at me was the big, beautiful butterfly...No doubt in my mind, either...that was Carol telling me she was now at Peace and in a much better place...
Cbel's garden has been watered for the day today...I will not be available tomorrow to water so would appreciate someone else going over to the library to take care of that for me. Thanks..

joyful joyful
Aug '13

I did a quick bucket of water too, and found the garden now has a permanent resident nestled under a hosta leaf next to the plaque.... ;-)

Was thinking there's plenty of mulch now, maybe we give that spare bag towards Karen's garden?

Hopefully tomorrow we don't have to worry about watering and we can get a good soaking rain. The mulch will keep that in and we won't have to be so worried about it.

love the kitty! we added more rocks. I donated the mulch so wherever you can be used feel free

skippy skippy
Aug '13

nice touch with the kitty. well done, and thanks skippy

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Aug '13

anyone got time to water today? if not ill bring some by tonight

skippy skippy
Aug '13

I didn't get a chance to stop so if you could water, that would be great! Thanks, skippy!!

watered

skippy skippy
Aug '13

thanks skippy, about what time did you water? i was there at 6:00 pm and if needed could have also watered.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Aug '13

Thank you for watering, Skippy.... If we do not get rain tomorrow...I will water again. Have ordered a pot of yellow mums to put in the garden from Greenway. I think we could almost start planting the mums now but not sure..

joyful joyful
Aug '13

The HD in Succasunna had some small mum plants already when I was there last week.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '13

It's a great time to plant the mums now. It'll let them grow longer so they can survive the winter.

OK...I will check out tomorrow about the Mums I ordered and if anyone else has some plants to spare for Fall planting or wants to plant more Mums...please feel free to do so.

joyful joyful
Aug '13

I was there about 730 - forgot it was gonna rain today

skippy skippy
Aug '13

Thanks, Skippy, I was going over this morning too but looks like rain any minute so I think we are good for today...

joyful joyful
Aug '13

Skippy - probably just as well. Even though it looks really dark, the weather radar is showing nothing but two really small isolated clouds. The forecast says isolated rain so it's very possible we may not get much.

With the rain, the plants are now well taken care of. The marigolds have opened up, the black eyed susan is now looking much happier, and even the drying out coreopsis perked up some. The water hungry annuals are all good too. The dahlias when all of them are open are going to look really nice.

Unfortunately the very first of the "things we didn't plant" (ie weed) started to show too. I pulled that. It's time now to start remembering at anytime if anyone goes by, pull a weed. Even with all the mulching, there were so many old roots that stuff is just gonna happen. Doesn't matter if you're just having a look or watering. An occasional weed is now probably the work that needs to be done compared to watering.

good idea GC, sort of a 'weed and read' program . . . .

i kinda like it !

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Aug '13

looks great!

skippy skippy
Aug '13

thanks GC!

skippy skippy
Aug '13

I had to return some library book late tonight because I'm leaving town. I got out of the car and a marmalade cat was sitting next to Cbel's garden. I tried to take a photo but it just made the cat hide. As I drove away I looked in my rear view mirror and it sat back down near her garden. So amazing and sweet.

Kit Kat Kit Kat
Aug '13

Kit Kat...There is a cement cat representing Cbel's cat "Lovey" by her plaque there at the library. Maybe the marmalade cat thought it was another cat and wanted to make friends. Is anyone watering the garden today? Or...do we not need to water today because of the recent rain?

joyful joyful
Aug '13

I cant today - working in Newark - It rained this am - I think we are good.

skippy skippy
Aug '13

It positively poured early this morning so that should have taken care of us today. But it was also quite sunny all afternoon. Some annuals at home needed a drink, so it we don't get anything tomorrow, the annuals at least should get a bit of water.

no need today clearly - I hope everything holds up under this torrential downpour

skippy skippy
Aug '13

I planned to go to the garden today too, Skippy....No need today...that is for sure!

joyful joyful
Aug '13

gorgeous say today - hopefully the flowers will get some nice sun! someone tell me about Karens garden. Maybe I can help there too

skippy skippy
Aug '13

Just returned from watering the plants at Cbel's garden. Despite the recent rains they really needed a drink today. Skippy, Karen's garden is the garden just as you go into the front entrance of the library and Karen( who works in the library) started that I think in Memory of her Mother (not sure)..Anyway, I think she pretty much takes care of that but I am sure she would not mind if we saw some weeds or some maintenance that needed to be done there to help out in her garden as well while visiting Cbel's... Anytime anyone is visiting the library, please check out the garden and as BrotherDog stated...there is water available inside to water the plants. Thanks so much!

joyful joyful
Aug '13

i pulled a few weeds about 2:00 pm Friday; ground was nice and moist in both gardens

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Aug '13

good deal - thank joyful. ill look for weeds there as well

skippy skippy
Aug '13

Just got back from vacation! Can't believe what a fantastic job you guys did! I will pick up some mums this week and leave at the garden for planting. Don't want to mess up the design. I know the theme is yellow, but do you want some other colors to mix in?

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Aug '13

thanks JrzyGirl88 - I heard Cbel liked yellow - I think anything that looks summery would be great!

skippy skippy
Aug '13

There was a program at the library yesterday and one of the people who attended noticed Cbel's garden and commented also on what a lovely gesture this was to do for Carol...she loved going to the library and a avid reader so this was so appropriate. Jrzygirl88...Mums would be great to start planting. I have ordered a plant from Greenway which I will be putting in soon as well (mine are yellow)...We are sticking to primarily yellow in color plants but also need some other colors to make the garden look really pretty. Any contributions of anything will be gratefully accepted. We are suggesting that any contributions just be placed by the garden (unless you feel you would like to plant them yourself and that is perfectly fine as we have plenty of space for a nice, full garden)..Also feel free to go into the library for water or bring along some water to give the plants a drink. Thanks again to all who have helped make this garden for Cbel become a reality!

joyful joyful
Aug '13

I want to find her a concrete book. We also need to help weed Karens Garden at some point as well - Thank you Joyful!

skippy skippy
Aug '13

Cbel and I chatted about our current reading selections as our choices tended to be similar, so the garden was such a fantastic idea! I have been following the progress up until vacation and was surprised how far it has come in the time I was away. I will post when I leave the plants at the Garden this week, I don't have a very good design esthetic. I will mix up the colors a little bit.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Aug '13

Thank you so much, Jrzygirl88. Either GC, Iris or BrotherDog or another capable HLer will probably be elected to plant your contributions and mine as well as I am not very apt at the planting part of making of a garden. (Great supervisor but no green thumb at all!!!)

joyful joyful
Aug '13

I just returned from Chicago. I will be glad to plant anything delivered, just let me know!

Thank you, Iris...hope you had a great time in Chicago! Today would have been Cbel's birthday.. I know she is looking down on us as we tend to her "special garden" at the library......Happy Birthday, Carol in Heaven...RIP....

joyful joyful
Aug '13

I'm missing her so darn much. I stopped at her garden for a little "toast" to her on this day. Happy Birthday Carol. Love and miss you. <3

Cheers to you, my dear friend! xoxo

Sue R: That was so nice of you to do.. Remembering today also the fun time last year at her party....I miss her too!!

joyful joyful
Aug '13

Hippo. Birdies. Two ewes.

Hippo. Birdies. c'bel from g'see.

Sue the balloons made my fiance and I cry - thank you!

skippy skippy
Aug '13

Just dropped off two medium yellow mums, two medium rust mums, and two little purple mums. I just put them off to the right side of the garden if your looking at it. Hope that was ok.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Aug '13

That is wonderful Jrzygirl88!!!!...Thank you so much. I will contact one of the HLers who have volunteered to plant and get them in as soon as possible.

joyful joyful
Aug '13

It was my honor Joyful. Thanks for getting them planted. And the strangest thing... when I finally got done running errands and was driving down my road, I was thinking about how pretty the mums will look when they are planted, looked out my car window and right there next to my car a yellow butterfly.

JrzyGilr88 JrzyGilr88
Aug '13

Oh, Jrzygilr88...you just made my day with the sighting of the yellow butterfly. Cbel knows and thanks you for this lovely gesture...This is her communication with us now ( not saying this too loudly as some people will think I am coo-coo...lol!!!!)...But, I know what I know. Thanks again and enjoy your weekend...

joyful joyful
Aug '13

yep there are several pots that need planting and the balloons look terrific !!

i was stunned when i stopped by this evening. very nice, very colorful

will try and plant them tomorrow some time.

garden needs watering tomorrow as well, if you water, please make a note of it here with the time you watered.

thanks

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Aug '13

Thanks for the offer to plant, BrotherDog but I am pretty sure we have that taken care of by another HL poster who is planning to do that today.. I am sure they will water after they plant as well. I have been going up there just about every day to water but I know the ground just soaks in the moisture.

joyful joyful
Aug '13

The minute I got up and saw the clouds outside, I knew the mums should get in before the rain comes. It was a bit hasty. I almost made that happen in time, but not quite.

Hopefully we continue to get a little sprinkle here and there today.

GC: You're the best!!!! Thank you so much for planting jrzygirl88's Mum Plants. It looks so beautiful.

joyful joyful
Aug '13

Those colors are beautiful!
Will need to stop by and see this garden in person!

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Aug '13

The mums look beautiful. I especially love that orange colored one. The balloons were a very sweet touch too.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '13

They look so nice!! Thanks GC for getting them in the ground. Can't wait to stop and see them in person..

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Aug '13

Thank you world for watering the garden and then spreading some sunshine.

Looking good!!

looks great all thank you!

skippy skippy
Aug '13

Stopped over at the library this afternoon with the promised yellow mum plant for Cbel's garden. I could almost hear Carol as I placed the plant in the garden saying "Boy, you guys really loved me a lot!!"
I left the plant in the pot in the garden as per instructions, so would appreciate it very much the next time one of you HLers are up that way to please remove it from the pot and place it in the garden for me. Thanks so much!

joyful joyful
Aug '13

thank you!

skippy skippy
Aug '13

When is the right time to plant tulip bulbs ? I want to get some yellow ones for planting, as well as a few other colors.

Mariann Mariann
Aug '13

October is a good time to plant them.

whats the consensus for fall planting? do we want to do all yellow?

skippy skippy
Sep '13

I think a mix will look nice, both of color and tulips/daffodils/hyacinth.

I'll plant the bulbs I've been storing next month sometime.

i'm gonna plant three yellow tulips on sept 21st.

where is the garden should they be planted? (total failure in 'spacial relationships in school)

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Sep '13

looking at entrance - directly to far left by loading dock

skippy skippy
Sep '13

yes i know, skippy, thanks, i mean in the garden where should the tulips go?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Sep '13

Where ever you want to put them, BrotherDog, will be fine.

Just checking to see if anyone planted the yellow mum plant that we left at the garden the other day...If not ...we will go over later and plant it..It is the only one there not yet in the ground. Thanks...

joyful joyful
Sep '13

It was raining earlier or I would have planted it. Now that we have a bigger one, I think it would be better to put that in where the small purple one is on the right. And then use the smaller one in the middle.

On the bulb planting, I think it's probably going to be best to gather all the bulbs and then lay them out together. Maybe another group kind of day, the 21st is as good as any.

In the mean time - weeds. There's a definite need for weeding, all of what looks like a single mum leaf coming up are those weeds that were there previously. They have long roots so it helps to dig with a spade to get them.

Please feel free to plant the Yellow Mum wherever you think it will look best, GC...I will tell The Duke you are going to take care of that...You know this is a good thing as neither he nor I are "gardeners".. Thanks...

joyful joyful
Sep '13

I will go over later today (Labor Day) and do some weeding.

Chickadee Chickadee
Sep '13

Labor on "Labor Day"...Chickadee??? Seriously that would be very nice of you..Perhaps you might want to plant the large Yellow Mum that is there in the pot as well in the ground next to the small purple one on the right as GC mentioned saving him another trip up there when you go. Thanks in advance for doing this...

joyful joyful
Sep '13

I suggested swapping the small purple one, not planting next to it.

Ooops...sorry, GC.. I am sure Chickadee (who is a avid gardener) or someone.... will place it where they see best. Just will appreciate anyone who gets it in the ground for us..Thanks!

joyful joyful
Sep '13

i will weed some when i go back over there,

so tulips are 'bulbs' ? is that right?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Sep '13

BrotherDog, I weeded today and planted joyful's beautiful yellow mum. I left the small purple mum where it was, because it looked happy there. Here's a photo I took today, Labor Day.

Chickadee Chickadee
Sep '13

Thank you so much Chickadee for planting and weeding.......Cbel's Garden can be seen from the road as you drive by and really stands out as a tribute for all to see of the love the HLers had for her.

joyful joyful
Sep '13

NICE! thanks Chickadee

skippy skippy
Sep '13

Thanks for the help Chickadee!!

what a pretty garden =o) kudos to all of you.

Poppy Girl
Sep '13

When the temps were cool you forget and think the water is fine. It's actually been a good while since we got steady rain. I did some watering yesterday but I'd bet it's really dragging in this afternoon sun. If anyone can, throw some water on the plants in advance of what hopefully is a nice shower tomorrow to quench the thirst.

The lemon day lilies you would have thought were done have bloomed several times. The dahlias were hardly out yet now came through loud and clear. French marigolds (seen here) have people saying they can see it a mile away. If you go up close the blanket flower is unmistakable. Recently planted mums are hardier than you could expect and look like they'll be still blooming in the dead of winter.

Not bad for something that used to be a patch of 6 foot weeds. Some butterfly must have set down for a little while to make that one happen.

wow!

skippy skippy
Sep '13

Thanks for your post, GC...Was going to go up there today...this afternoon and since it was so hot and not a good idea to water in the hot sun ...planned to do it later today. Thanks for the reminder... I am on my way....

joyful joyful
Sep '13

Update: The garden has been watered....While The Duke and I were there watering ...two youngsters about 8-10 years old that were coming out of the library came over and asked us if this garden was planted for 9/11. I told them..."No, but it was planted because we lost someone recently that we loved very much and several friends decided to plant a garden in her memory here at the library as she loved reading and came to this particular library a lot". The children were silent for a few minutes and after they read the plaque said "This is beautiful and you must really miss her!".....Out of the mouths of babes......

joyful joyful
Sep '13

Sweet story, joyful.

The garden is beautiful and I know that Carol is loving it.

The garden is beautiful! Would like to join in the maintenance of it now, can someone bring up to speed with the caring of it and what I can do to help.

Bessie Bessie
Sep '13

Bessie: Any HL'ers who frequent the library are more than welcome when they visit there for a book or whatever to also stop over to the garden and pull a few weeds, or water, or if they see a nice plant that they want to add to the garden.....go ahead and plant it or leave by the garden and someone will put it in the ground for you. We have no committees or scheduling for the garden maintenance. Soon, I think GC and others will be planting some bulbs for Spring so you might want to check with him. Each time I go there I can sense Cbel smiling down on me and I just know she is very happy with her beautiful garden...

joyful joyful
Sep '13

I stopped there yesterday for a quick visit. It really does look so colorful and beautiful. Even though it did put a smile on my face to see it, it still sadden me to know why it's there to begin with. I can't even tell you how much I miss her and how many times I feel the need to pick up the phone to talk to her, and then realize I can't.

Best way to get involved is just to watch this thread and post here. Anyone at anytime can always weed or water. Weeding will definitely be a long term issue since there were so many roots before we started this project.

If there are plants you would like put in, post it here and the first person that can will go over and do it.

Otherwise, joyful has covered all the bases well.

Speaking of bulb planting - it would be an excellent time to start coordinating that. It was such a great thing during the original planting to have so many people all as a group. The bulb planting is another opportunity for that.

I know the 21st was suggested before, but I think it's a bit too early. We had some bulb weather last week, and there may be some coming up. But the forecast I just took a look at says we might have night temps creeping up to 60 the week after. I would like to suggest the first weekend in Oct. It should give more time to stay cool enough so the bulbs do root but don't sprout. How does that look as a date?

hows mulch look - do we need?

skippy skippy
Sep '13

Plenty of mulch was put down previously. No need for any more until next year or the year after.

ok thanks

skippy skippy
Sep '13

oct sounds great GC,

i want to plant something on the autumnal equinox, there is a certain symmetry on that date because it lines up with the heavens, if it is still too warm for the bulbs, then maybe something else, i may just risk three tulip bulbs and see what happens to them.

cool nights are best though, you are quite correct

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Sep '13

Good weather is nice for us, but plants can get a little dry. The annuals are still holding on strong, but it looks like a full week, maybe even more without any rain.

Some watering might be in order. I did a tiny bit on Tuesday, but if anyone goes now through the weekend, a little water might help. The weeds are minor, but they are very persistent. That's a job anyone can always do at any time.

Temps coming up look like it's going to be bulb weather soon. We should pick an Oct weekend and see if we can do a nice little group thing.

will stop later in the day to weed and water, will let you know when its done

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Sep '13

stopped by late in the afternoon and put over 8 gallons of water into that dry garden

didn't see any weeds to pull, did someone else do the weeding?

garden will need more watering till we get rain.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Sep '13

good job guys - I haven't had a chance to stop by.

skippy skippy
Sep '13

it was hot today, so i stopped by and put 12 gallons of water into the garden, it needed it.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Oct '13

Brother Dog....Thank you so very much for watering. I have been battling the flu for the last two weeks and did not get a chance to get over there. I think GC and others are making plans to plant some bulbs sometime this month too.

joyful joyful
Oct '13

I had been thinking about planting this weekend. But no one has mentioned much of any interest at all after I said something earlier. Plus if the weather keeps up anything like today, it'll be November before it's time to do the bulbs.

GC: Tell us what to bring....set a time and those that can participate are most welcomed and can post here if they can attend ....We are available after breakfast on Sunday or Saturday most of the day...I do not have bulbs but can purchase some if necessary.

joyful joyful
Oct '13

GC ~ since this is your area of expertise, I have some Easter hydrangea's that I put in my garage after they died off (this is what I was told to do - not sure if that's true) I was going to plant them outside at my house but would much rather see them used for Cbel's Garden. They are purple and white if I remember correctly, I know not the exact colors but was wondering if you would like them?

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Oct '13

I bought some yellow tulip bulbs. Just let me know when you want to do this.

Mariann Mariann
Oct '13

JrzyGirl88 - Thanks very much for the offer. Most of those hydrangeas sold in a pot for all practical purposes are annuals. They're really not meant to survive another year, and often won't survive a winter. I think the garage idea is to try to give them a cold time over winter that is milder enough to make it through. And then probably keep it indoors, or on your deck. I suggest you keep them for yourself and see how you make out. If they do survive then maybe for next year.

i have an interest, i want to plant three yellow tulips, and will do so.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Oct '13

I agree, GC, that it is too early for bulbs. Let's see what the (dare I say) the end of October looks light for planting bulbs.

Ooops..I misunderstood, Iris, GC's above post. I thought he said he wanted to plant this coming weekend. OK. We can wait....Just let us know GC....

joyful joyful
Oct '13

My mistake they are hyacinths not hydrangea...

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Oct '13

JrzyGirl88 - In which case they are perfect to accompany the other bulbs.

Great!! I would much rather them be a part of something so special. I will drop them off at the garden when your ready or maybe before and just leave them off to the side somewhere

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Oct '13

For now keep them cool and in the garage. When we do the get together for the other bulbs, then we can make sure they get planted at the same time. Right now we don't want those to start growing with all of the hot temperatures. Premature growth could kill it over winter.

Ok GC just let me know when you are ready. I will be out of town next week (my Montreal trip) but can drop them off when you want them.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Oct '13

I'm glad we're getting at least a little moisture for the garden. Everything continues to do well, particularly the marigolds are still going strong.

Until the bulbs are in, the one thing that might help if anyone goes they could snip off some of the old blooms. In particular the mums I think all need it.

On the bulb planting issue, it looks at least like all the warm days are gone. But from the forecast it doesn't look like evening temps will be really down until two weeks. I'm thinking the last weekend in October is the time for the bulb planting. By then there will be a much better chance it will be below average than above. So unless something changes, that's the time I suggest we start talking about.

I just got a whole shipment of bulbs, more than I thought I had ordered. Will be able to contribute both some tulips and daffodils. Hyacinths coming from JrzyGirl88 and some tulips from BD. More tulips and daffodils would be good, and maybe a few crocus to round everything out would help.

GC - let me know if you need help planting the bulbs.

happy2bhere happy2bhere
Oct '13

I would like to help plant at the end of the month..please post when. Let me warn you, I know nothing about planting bulbs but am interested in learning.

Bessie Bessie
Oct '13

I went to the garden today after the couple of days of frost and thought I'd clean up some of the dead material. Well, the mums that had been mentioned before needing it were the only things needing attention. Who would have thought not only have the marigolds held up like the perpetual Statue of Liberty's torch, but the petunias seemed to have even a second rebirth stronger than the first. This is the end of October!!

Time to get ready for the bulbs, I'm in the middle of organizing and will let everyone know.

Thanks to everyone that's kept it going.
Thanks to the lady today who complimented the garden.
Thanks to the guys needing directions so at home they complimented little Hackettspatch.

Who's in for bulb planting this weekend? I'm thinking about 2:00PM on Sunday. That's after all the church activities and the Sunday breakfast at KofC, and about the same timing as the original planting. Even if nothing else I have set aside some items to plant that we could all do as a group.

Let me know who's in and who's bringing anything additional to plant.

Thanks.

GC ~ I have a christening on Sunday, but will drop off the bulbs (still in the containers) at the garden on Saturday afternoon for you.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Nov '13

im in

skippy skippy
Nov '13

Thanks again JrzyGirl88 - the weather doesn't look like it will be wet, but just in case you might want to cover those not to get wet. Otherwise you can just leave them against the side of the build in the general vicinity of the garden by the butterfly bush. There is already an unused bag of mulch, and a couple of trash bags there just in case they are needed by anyone who drops in to help work on the garden.

skippy - See you Sunday then.

I don't want to discourage donations, but I should mention anyone who wants to help and doesn't have bulbs can just come by anyway. Several people who cannot attend are leaving the planting to us so there's opportunity for anyone to pitch in.

let me know what to bring.

skippy skippy
Nov '13

You can bring a trowel or spade if you'd like. But I will have so even that isn't needed. You can get some bulbs, but there are also some donated from people that can't attend so that isn't mandatory either.

If anyone has one of those bulb hole maker things, that wouldn't hurt. But we can just use a regular trowel too.

Most important thing is just everyone bring themselves. ;-)

I think I have a bulb hole maker thing...I will take a look. :)

Tracy Tracy
Nov '13

I dropped the bulbs off at the library. They are in a Shop-Rite bag next to the mulch. Hope you have a great day for planting.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Nov '13

Thanks everyone.

I should also mention the marigolds have finally succumbed to the frost, but there are many seeds available from them. If anyone wants some, be sure to say so. These were absolutely phenomenal so they should produce some nice plants next year. Plenty of seeds to go around for others, not just cbel's garden.

I managed to get over to the library for a bit this afternoon to be part of the bulb planting at Cbel's garden. Was not able to stay too long but very glad to see GC, Chickadee and Tracey once more. Thanks to all who dropped off bulbs and helped in the planting. I felt Cbel smiling down on us with her utmost approval..

joyful joyful
Nov '13

awesome job guys - sorry I couldn't make it. You should be proud

skippy skippy
Nov '13

The snow has all melted, there are some signs of the daisy and black eyed susan perking up, the lavender has wintered over nicely...

and we have signs of bulbs!!!

Yay! Can't wait to see the garden in bloom again.

Are my Christmas decorations still there? I couldn't find them under all that snow a few weeks ago. LOL

hoo rah ! happy spring fellow gardeners ! cannot wait to see those tulips bloom !

i love tulips, they are my favorite.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Mar '14

I was just thinking to bump this thread up yesterday and I forgot. I saw my tulips start to poke up and I figured cbel's were probably starting too. Can't wait to see how all the spring flowers look.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '14

SueR - I do not remember seeing anything Christmas related. I do know I rescued one or two of those little balloons, might have even been last year's Easter. But no Christmas.

Can't wait to see the garden in bloom again. Funny this thread popped up, I am reading a terrific book right now that Cbel would have loved.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Mar '14

Oh, ok GC. It was just a little poinsettia and some jingle bells.

It's Spring! Will have to stop by and help clean up :)

happy2bhere happy2bhere
Mar '14

SueR - Got it. Yes, I do remember seeing that still there.

When we were at the library the other day I visited Cbel's Garden as well. The potted pointsetta plant that I put there was still there. Was going to take it home and throw it in the garbage but wondering if it can be planted or saved? GC? ?? I can't wait to visit again and hopefully our friend "the yellow butterfly" will be visiting again soon too...

joyful joyful
Mar '14

The signs of hyacinth bulbs have grown to be recognizably purple. Also some very small bulbs right next to the cat have come out in force.

As far as I remember when the group did all the bulb planting, it was just in the garden itself. It would seem there is also a whole line of tulips planted in front of the big butterfly bush. So over 20 tulips are now sprouting there.

Don't forget to take a peek over at the other garden area near the door. There are a few tulips coming up but mostly daffodils which are much further along at this point.

cool, i love the tulips,

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

Thats great news!! I'm so glad the hyacinths made it!!

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '14

Here's the hyacinth blooming...

But unfortunately we have a few tulip munchers in the area. The ones along the edge of the butterfly bush outside of the stone enclosure are particularly eaten. On the other hand, three in that area are getting close to blooming.

Might not be a bad idea if someone has a bit of deer out to use that until the rest are big enough to bloom. Looks like the mini daffodils that were looking so good may not make it now.

I have to pick up something tomorrow at the library. I can bring my deer repellent and give it a quick spray. Works really well for me each year, so hopefully it will give the bulbs a fighting chance.

ladeevee ladeevee
Apr '14

So this isn't Carol's garden, but it made me think of her. I planted a bag of mixed tulip bulbs in the fall and they are all up and blooming right now...most of them yellow. :o)

Tracy Tracy
Apr '14

Tracy...they are beautiful! Is there any way that you can transfer the yellow ones over to Cbel's Garden??? (Just kidding!). Thanks, ladeevee, for trying the deer repellant. Hope it works for the rest of the garden that will be coming up soon.

joyful joyful
Apr '14

There are a couple of very nice daffodils blooming in her garden. Even though they were severely munched, the grape hyacinth are abundant and a nice contrast to the yellow. Perhaps for next year we should follow the other garden and plant more daffodils since they are far more deer resistant. Or at least surround the tulips with a ring of daffodils or hyacinth. The hyacinth only bloomed briefly, but it did really well.

The other parts of the garden are coming up quite nicely. The yellow irises from Hopeful in Hackettstown will bloom later than the tulips but are looking very strong. Daisies (via abbadabbadoo), mamadone's(?) black eyed susan, Tracy's yellow day lily, and Chickadee's coreopsis are showing signs of nice growth. Should only need a bit of weeding now and then. Plus any bare spots filled in with a few annuals. Looking good for the future even though the tulips weren't the success we hoped for.

PS - I think we did the exact same thing Tracy. While I ordered some bulbs for Carol's Garden, I got one of those big mixed bulb packages. Mostly red and yellow. And there were some other special ones which may have gotten munched. But these are protected in my fenced area, and Mr Baci's friends don't seem to like the moth ball and Irish Spring protection they are currently under.

Bulbs by Carol, poppies and bleeding heart by Joyful. ;-)

Unfortunately, I think it rained the night I put it on so didn't do much good :(

ladeevee ladeevee
Apr '14

I'm very surprised that these tulips didn't get munched. We had a bunny sighting one night, but I think Lucky scared it enough that it decided never to return. We'll see if my lilies make it in the summer.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '14

I need some help. I have plenty of my own tulips this year based on one of those ridiculous "50 bulb grab bags" for far too cheap. So I grabbed a half dozen either in bloom or just about, and transplanted them over to the library. All yellow, with one central red one.

I already spray Deer Out, but I'm still worried these will get munched. I would have thought animals with a brain wouldn't be dumb enough to attempt to eat something bigger than their mouth yet I found two of my own this morning bit off in the middle of the stem and just left there.

What ever your favorite deer prevention method is, can we please try it? And maybe attempt to coordinate enough re-application of the Deer Out to be effective?

joyful - Maybe we can attempt that hair thing after all. Oh, Miss Kitty.... ;-)

yeah, it's a quandry, that's for sure, let me see what ole' timey techniques i can bring by . . . . . . .

there's the deer, but there's also the rabbits and ground hogs, (and other things that go bump in the night) they all like the bulbs.

sometimes a half-hungry barn cat is what is needed, but i won't go with that 'nuclear' option just yet

BrotherDog BrotherDog
May '14

If you are looking for a new deer repellant, you may want to try Deer Scram. I've used it successfully, and the best part is it doesn't wash off after it rains (you would need to reapply after a deluge like yesterday, though).

http://www.deerscram.com/

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '14

I don't have any extra Miss Kitty hair, GC, but will start saving each morning when she gets brushed just in case. I also have read that human hair works just as well. I was just at the hairdresser today and could have brought home some of the floor sweepings too. I read also that a few Irish Spring bars of soap in the garden will keep deer away and also to spray with Pinesol..(sp)... Thanks for planting some more tulips...I will try to keep watch at Cbels Garden to see what happens in the next few days.

joyful joyful
May '14

I was going to say Irish Spring as an option. I know that was a tried and true one for a grandparent. Small enough bed were you won't go crazy trying to cut enough soap lol.

ladeevee ladeevee
May '14

Stopped at Cbel's Garden today with a few balls of cat hair and some Pinesol spray (did not spray the plants but just around the area). Thank you to GC for doing such a nice job of putting down mulch and planting those beautiful tulip bulbs. Since I am not much of a gardener, my donation this year to the garden was a pretty ceramic angel placed by Cbels plaque to watch over the garden and all of us as we tend to it again this season.

joyful joyful
May '14

I did stop by briefly today to check on the tulips and saw both the mulch and the wisps of hair. The tulips themselves survived transplantation, but you can see they weren't happy about it...

Just to give credit where it is due - I did plant the bulbs from my garden but had nothing to do with the mulch. The whole library was done - "Karen's Garden", the sides as you come in, around the butterfly bush and cbel's as well. So you can thank the library for that.

GC: You must have been there before I was as I do not see the Angel in the picture which I placed near Cbel's plaque. When I got there the tulips and daffodils looked pretty "perky" too. Thanks to the library, then, for the mulch as it made the garden look so nice and I am sure will help in the survival of the plants.

joyful joyful
May '14

joyful - My pictures are yesterday when I planted. The mulching must have been done today.

Just wanted to share a pic of the garden from this morning.

ladeevee ladeevee
May '14

Thanks ladeevee, I have a similar picture from a couple of days ago that I didn't have time to post. Very nice to see the yellow iris from Hopeful in Hackettstown has come up nicely. We might not have gotten the yellow tulips, but that's a nice substitute for it.

The daisies are doing well, the black eyed susans OK but not as big, the coreopsis is aive and well, the lavender that was there originally is coming back and the day lilies are probably going to bloom soon.

I think all that needs to be done is a little weeding very once in a while. And maybe a few annuals at some point to help fill in. Those large sized yellow marrigolds from last year really worked out well. I was thinking that might be nice to round it all out.

Best's right across the way has some really nice looking annuals. I will take a look and see what's there when the weather is less dreary.

ladeevee ladeevee
May '14

This would be a good time for those annuals. The heliopsis here is as tall as could be and not drooping at all. If it does get a bit taller though it might not be a bad idea to tie it up a bit. The center plants are sturdy, but around the outside it has nothing else around it. The coreopsis is very healthy, the lavender is blooming, the iris is now done blooming with healthy foliage, the daisies on the far left are getting ready to open, and there are day lilies that should only be a short time away from blooming. Even some of last years mums have taken root.

The only things that are no longer there is the dhalia that I took for safe keeping over winter. (which of course I promptly lost) And the very nice tall blanket flower that doesn't always survive, and this winter was just so bad it's not unexpected.

There were also only a few weeds to pull. Either some others have been there, or the mulch is doing very well, or some combination.

So other than *maybe* a bit of string around the heliopsis, I think the only task is filling in with some annuals.

Thank you, GC, for taking such good care of Cbels Garden. I have visited the garden but as most of you know, my green thumb is really brown....so, to other HLers, please feel free to contribute to the beauty of this garden by planting a few annuals there or just to stop by and see how very pretty the garden is there at the library. I know Cbel is watching over her garden as well from Heaven...

joyful joyful
Jun '14

i was at the garden yesterday, just absolutely stunning,

really beautiful in the afternoon sun, it makes a great statement about life

gorgeous, colorful and terrific all at he same time.

i liked it, honestly liked it.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '14

If any HLers get a chance over the weekend, please stop at Cbel's Garden at the Library. It is now a year since we lost our Beloved Cbel (Carol). Hopefully you will spot a beautiful yellow butterfly when you go...Miss you, Cbel!

joyful joyful
Jul '14

I was there last weekend..it's a beautiful tribute to Carol. Miss her dearly.

Bessie Bessie
Jul '14

Happy Birthday Cbel (Carol)......I saw a yellow butterfly and then remembered it was your birthday today.

Just Asking Just Asking
Aug '14

Thanks for the reminder, Just Asking...I remember Cbel had a summer birthday but did not know it was today....I will definitely take a trip to the library sometime today.

joyful joyful
Aug '14

I saw a yellow butterfly this morning also! Laying in bed at 6am and saw it flying outside. Happy Birthday cbel!

Christine Christine
Aug '14

Happy Birthday my dearest friend! Miss you every single day.

Aug '14

Was at the library this morning and saw the garden coming to life. I didn't know Carol, but couldn't help but smile at the thought of this thread. Such a wonderful tribute to a dear friend of you all. Warms the soul.......

I stopped in last week and cleaned up a bit but not much really needed doing. I'm just hoping the bulbs will actually flower instead of getting munched. Saturday night a herd of 5 deer got to half of mine at home. But otherwise all the plants looked good. Coreopsis, daisy, heliopsis, lavender, day lilies, black eyed susans all alive and showing some green.

On the other hand, the other garden at the library was doing exceptionally well with all of the daffodils. I forgot last year, but that's definitely what we need to do for fall - plant some daffodils around and hope that keeps the deer from eating everything else. And even if not, the daffodils will still be left.

All my tulips and day lilies were munched already at their first signs of life.

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
Apr '15

Thank you, GC, for cleaning up Cbel's Garden at the Library. This project was a labor of love in Memory of our dear friend and avid Hler, Carol who passed away. Anyone who reads this and wants to add to her garden or just pull a few weeds or even just to stop by and reflect when visiting the library, please feel free to do so.

joyful joyful
Apr '15

I was there 2 weeks ago and did some cleaning up too! She would have loved it!

Apr '15

All my tulips are gone from our herd of deer living across the street. They even left me a present right in front of the house.

Teenie
Apr '15

Thank you also, Love to Sing...When you see some of those yellow butterflys flitting around...you will know she is happy to see you there for sure....

joyful joyful
Apr '15

The deer have seemed to have made a very special exception and spared the yellow tulips at the garden. My own in my driveway have been hit by whole herds munching away. But hers are intact. Very much suggesting stopping in to see these while they are still there...

The piece of bleeding heart and other flowers are also visible.

I was there today. It looks so pretty with the tulips open. Glad they haven't been eaten.

I stopped by today for a visit. Wow, what a difference from a few weeks ago. The garden is looking lovely. And I'm sure it welcomed the rain we got tonight.

I miss and think about her every day. Can't believe it's almost two years now.

I visited Cbel's Garden the other day too, Sue R, and always feel her presence when I am there. I miss her very much as well!!

joyful joyful
May '15

I miss and think about her every day too! Just yesterday I wanted to call her so bad. The yellow butterflies are all around.

May '15

"The deer have seemed to have made a very special exception and spared the yellow tulips at the garden."

I happen to know that deer don't read, otherwise they would use the crossing signs, so Cbel's garden is safe.

Just love the bleeding hearts. So far they and the daff's are deer free. Can't say the same for my deer-proof peonies and as for the hosta's ---- they don't make enough Deer Out.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
May '15

If deer don't read, they have no reason to be at the library. Unfortunately last year they munched the living crap out of every tulip in sight which is par for the course. I guess we have a great divide in the educational system... Oops, wrong thread.

I pulled out a couple of really big weeds in the daisies today. Otherwise looking very neat and tidy. The yellow of her favorite color is a nice contrast to those striking blue and white fringe iris. All of the perennials are quite healthy. Including the lone survivor of the original girl scout garden which is that lavender - no longer scraggly, now healthy, strong, and three times the size it was.

There's room for an addition or two but I think to just leave it the way it is and let the individual plants in their own space. I think the only potential move is the bleeding heart and the coreopsis are a bit close. Maybe at the end of the year to just put some room between those two.

Otherwise as perennials the need to water isn't much. Perhaps just tying the large heliopsis with some string so it doesn't flop over. It can get quite tall, and it's the centerpiece on its own without additional support. So just a bit of string might be good before it starts to bloom.

It will still be a good month or so, but as summer starts to set in, we'll want to trim those irises to let the other plants have their day.

Thanks for taking care of Carol's garden, GC, and thank you also to all the other HLers who have planted , tended, and helped to make Cbel's garden at the library so beautiful.

joyful joyful
May '15

Today marks the 2 year anniversary of cbel's passing. I think about and miss her all the time. I came online to find a song to suit this feeling of sadness I have tonight. I wanted to post it here in honor of her.

As I searched through the songs she has posted and getting distracted by other threads she has written in, I found myself laughing and smiling. She could always do that to me.....even now.

So I decided to go with these songs instead. These are ones she had posted.

She may have had a tough exterior at times, but she truly had a beautiful soul.
"Everything is Beautiful" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a45z_HG3WU&feature=fvwrel

This one cracks me up. I used to tease her about this one after she posted it. :)
"Kookie, Kookie, Lend Me Your Comb" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gDT2Xk5-Oo

And as far as I could tell, this was the last song she had posted.
"A- You're Adorable" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAefKpDquhI

Missing my dear friend so, but remembering all the good times. <3

I know, Sue R.....she has been in my thoughts these last few days especially as we cannot help but think how much we miss her and that it is today two years that our dear friend Cbel (Carol) has left us. But, I find that to be the case most days especially when I see a yellow butterfly in my yard popping up for no real reason...I know she is thinking of me too. R.I.P. Carol...bet you didn't know you had this many people that loved and miss you very much!

joyful joyful
Jul '15

Yeah, it's kind of a down day for me too. But my sister helps me out. Before daddy gets out of bed, I make sure he doesn't forget and give him a bop on the nose...

White Shoes White Shoes
Jul '15

Sue, what a beautiful tribute to Carol. You know she is missed in our house, Clyde and her definitely had a special relationship. She really was special to us considering we met through HL( and still felt like we knew her for ages) For that we will always be grateful.

Bessie Bessie
Jul '15

I miss cbel. We met on this forum and became fast friends, talking on the phone daily. She loved HL Sunday breakfasts, Wednesday meet ups at Panera Bread and the occasional HL lunches. She posted often, was opiniated and admired the diversity of posters here regardless of what side of the issue they were on. God bless her!

Chickadee mobile Chickadee mobile
Jul '15

It's a beautiful day in the garden today. It's only a cell phone pic, but the fall mums are abundant and well established. Once they take hold now they will be around a long time.

lovely, GC - I never knew her and wasn't here when the garden was planted - but it's a lovely thing to do to honor a special person

5catmom 5catmom
Sep '15

Looks really nice. I'll be adding a little something special soon.

Cbels garden looks beautiful!

Bessie Bessie
Sep '15

Stopped at the Garden the other day as well and the mums were really looking good. Saw a lot of yellow butterflies this summer and each time did... I knew they were sent from my friend, Carol (Cbel) from Heaven to let me know she was still thinking of me. Thanks, GC, for tending the garden or anyone who has pulled weeds or planted since the passing of our HL friend...

joyful joyful
Sep '15

One of our HL posters presented me last evening with a beautiful yellow, handmade ceramic butterfly to place in Cebel's garden at the Library in Independence this Spring. I will guard it with my life until we prepare the garden once more to honor the memory of our dear HL friend, Carol (Cbel)...Thank you so much, Snowflake for this lovely gesture....

joyful joyful
Feb '16

very nice!!

i want to plant some yellow tulips there for her this year.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Feb '16

That sounds great, BrotherDog. Can't wait to see the garden all in bloom again this year as well!

joyful joyful
Feb '16

If you would, please plant those in the middle somewhere between perennial plants. There are likely already some there but we've had trouble in the past springs with deer munching the tulips. In order to curtail that, I planted daffodils around the perimeter. I don't know that it will help entirely but deer don't touch the daffs, and I'm hoping that's kind of a ring of protection around the tulips. We'll see.

Another suggestion - be careful of the potted tulips. They are often grown in a greenhouse that makes them bloom too early. They don't always bloom again because of that. Unpotted bulbs are best.

Hyacinth and other bulbs looking good. I really hope this year the row of tulips where the butterfly bush will manage to bloom.

You really have to see the other garden though. Quite a collection of mostly daffodils in full bloom.

nice! thx, gc, and yes will put the tulips where you suggest. don't want to ruin the visual flow

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '16

Cbel's Garden at the Library is doing well this Spring. Thank you to all who have stopped by or tended to it over the past few months. Please take notice on your next visit to the library of the beautiful yellow ceramic butterfly that now has a special place in Cbel's garden. It was handmade by "Snowflake".. one of our HL posters....

joyful joyful
May '16

The yellow butterfly fits in perfectly. And it was her favorite. ;-)

Nice to see how well the bleeding heart next to it is doing as well.

This red tulip survived the deer and is just starting to fade now.

Everything else looks good. Daisies healthy, heliopsis will steal the show again, yellow iris is now well established, day lilies getting ready to go, and looks like later the mums will be back again.

Beautiful pictures of Cbel's Garden at the library, GC... Thank you again, Snowflake for crafting that beautiful ceramic butterfly...I am sure Cbel is looking down from Heaven and waiting patiently for the butterflies to start hovering around her special garden. Inviting any HLers to stop by when at the library. Pull a few weeds or just to visit for a few minutes in remembrance of our HL friend, Cbel (Carol) ...

joyful joyful
May '16

Holy crap! Two weeks later and look at those irises!!! I know they had been doing well but look and how many in bloom. Thanks to the folks that donated those!

Gorgeous! I love those yellow irises. I hope Carol is enjoying them as well.

Tracy Tracy
May '16

The Duke and I saw the Irises yesterday as well at the library garden and thought the same thing. Carol is enjoying them, I am sure. Now...where are the Yellow butterflies? Hubby had one land on his arm the other day while in his hammock and it was big and yellow....I told him that was our friend Cbel paying a visit...

Joyful Joyful
May '16

An even more spectacular year for the garden. The irises have come out in full force, the bleeding heart is still going strong, and the coreopsis and lavender are getting ready to go. Even the heliopsis in the center is showing signs of blooming early. And all the while, the yellow butterfly inhabits the happy space. ;-)

Wow awesome ! Great job

skippy skippy
May '17

It's looking so beautiful!

I actually saw that the other day too, GC...The Irises are just beautiful again this year...So happy to see the Bleeding heart also flourishing. I will be back so I can catch Cbel's yellow butterfly later. I know we all miss her so much but she is watching over all of us and knows where her "special garden" is...

Joyful Joyful
May '17

What's really freaky is the garden includes the same plants as what I put in a couple years before I read the post. It is a special thing and now I can see what mine would look like if I had friends like Cbei. Or what I should replant..... thanks Cbel

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
May '17

Those irises are gorgeous! We drove by there about a month ago and I remember noticing how colorful everything was. The yellow definitely popped.

Tracy Tracy
May '17

Beautiful garden, I still miss her.

Bessie Bessie
Jun '17

the garden is a nice way to remember someone, and it helps to keep her friends to stay connected working together on something positive, that's a very good thing, i love it

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '17

Hard to believe it's been almost four years since Carol passed. Weeanimal was just a tiny bun in the oven then...

ianimal ianimal
Jun '17

You are so right, BrotherDog especially when it is a situation where the loved one's friends and family do not have a gravesite to go to in the future to pay their respects. This shows that the person who has passed away will continue to be very special in our lives and will always be remembered.

Joyful Joyful
Jun '17

yeppir, good stuff,

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '17

Believe it or not, it's another year at the garden. It's not only doing super well, it's maybe even a bit of a victim of its own success. For the first time its not going to just be work on watering and weeding. The yellow iris is so large now it needs to be thinned out. There are two plants growing on each side of the little plaque. Those are butterfly bushes that spread from the big one near the side of the building. Otherwise the coreopsis is doing really, really well. And the center heliposis as good as ever. The signs are also good for later when it will be time for the black eyed susan and daisies.

It would be nice if we could give the butterfly bushes to a good home. It sounds like Tracy will already take some of the yellow iris, but maybe some others would like too. The yellow iris in particular is crowing out the lavender in front. The lavender is now on the woody side and may be about done with its life cycle. We will have to see after the iris is thinned. Even if not critical, it might be a good time to also thin the daisy as well as the white and blue iris. The mums that were planted are in good shape.

GC, I would love to have some of the flowers from cbels garden, especially the butterfly bush! It would mean a lot to me. :)

Thanks GC would love to see pictures

Skippy Skippy
Jun '18

skippy - I didn't even remember my cell phone when I was there last. It's going to be rainy but when it clears and I go again I know for sure I want to get pictures. This garden is now huge compared to the original photos that were taken.

SueR - That will be perfect. Let's make arrangements to meet and get one of the two butterfly bushes then.

One down, one to go. Some other plants are in need of a home. Anyone who wants, speak up.

Where is this garden???
The iris' - I'd help with taking one to thin out

Great GC. I will pm you tomorrow. I can use some of the other flowers too. I finally have a yard for gardening! :)

I would love some yellow iris too, GC!

SueR - Besides those at her garden, I can put a small "care package" together from my own garden to get you started.

MG - This is the memorial garden we all started for HL's now departed "cbel". She passed away almost 5 years ago. It's located at the Warren County Library branch in Independence. That's the old Best's Farms location across the road from where they are now on Route 46 at the junction of Russling Road.

iris - Just take a quick trip over and take a look. You'll instantly see how the yellow one is just so prolific you will be able to take some and it still will be strong and healthy.

Ahhh, so good to hear & so appropriate that cbel's garden would gift a bounty♡

happy2bhere happy2bhere
Jun '18

GC, will have to make room but would love to put something from carols garden into mine..still miss that lady!

Bessie Bessie
Jun '18

GC - Very nice...we drove by there yesterday and I noticed the insane amount of iris and thought to myself "I wonder if I have those?". That's how my mind works during iris season

MG - I've also thought that if you saw the library you would like it alot. To be clear the garden at the library there is not all cbel's. The area closest to the door is in honor of one of the employee's family. It's the area enclosed in stones at the far left of the building by the loading dock. There are two different irises in cbel's garden and all the rest you see there belong to the other garden.

A care package would be wonderful GC! Thank you! :)

Here is a picture I took today of the garden. Unfortunately it looks like the lavender is just too woody now to survive. I also noticed the bleeding heart is doing really, really well. It's now probably a bit too close to the coreopsis which is not as big as it could be. I think some minor surgery to move the coreopsis is warranted - there is a spot closer to the edge that is free. I'll take care of that.

Here is the view from the back. Good news: everything there is healthy, even if the hosta from the back clearly needs some thinning too. Bad news: we have an invader around the heliopsis. Morning glory. Glad I found it while I was there. It had already gotten all the way up to the top of the heliopsis and was wound around if from nearly the bottom. We need to be on the watch for more of these. There's always one more of those.

After all of the adjustments it may need some mulching. The library has generally done that for us as the other areas there got it too. But I can check whether they are going to do that this year or not.

To Do List:
1. Thin both irises
2. Thin hostas
3. Move coreopsis away from bleeding heart
4. Continue to watch for morning glories
5. Look into mulch when everything else is done
6. Remove the two small butterfly bushes - find a home of the unadopted one

for those who aren't insiders, who was cbel?

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Jun '18

She was one of the first HL posters that many of us knew on a personal level. She passed away a few years ago, and will always have a special place in our hearts. GC still has her cat that needed a home after she passed away. It was a very difficult time for some of us “old timers”

Bessie Bessie
Jun '18

Thanks for posting that, Bessie...Cbel was the reason that I also got involved with Hackettstown Life. She wanted someone as "old" as her to start posting on the Forum and getting involved and I guess I was it...I got to know Carol on a personal level and she became one of my very best friends. We established Cbels Garden after she passed away at the library. I still think of her and miss her very much...

joyful joyful
Jun '18

I visited Cbel in the hospital shortly before she passed away. We were friends for many years and I still miss her. She had a way of bringing people together.

Mindy's Mom Mindy's Mom
Jun '18

I would love some of Cbel's yellow irises. Those are exactly the kind that I'm so fond of. And it would be nice to have something in my garden to remember her by. I hope she feels the same about my day lilies that are in her garden.

I'm not really the best at this kind of thing though. Should we try to arrange a date to meet at the garden to get some of this done?

Tracy Tracy
Jun '18

Irises are roots that survive very well when trying to transplant. So that means it's not so critical to replant them immediately when those are thinned. I'll be able to do the one transplant on my own. The rest just needs a bit of coordination.

I'm quite sure those lilies are extremely appreciated. They're just perfect for the garden. Thanks.

Mission accomplished. On Sunday morning I managed to get some work in before the heaviest of the rain set in. (although I do admit I looked up at the sky, just after arriving at the garden and saying "really Carol, you want to dump on me?". It's like the times we said stuff at Independence "Wing Night" knowing we were just joking.

I weeded. Then I moved the coreopsis and it complained about the surgery by showing wilting. I believe it will still survived despite the protest and the rain helps it out. Then the big iris got pulled. So successful a third went to very good homes each. All knew Carol and wanted them to hold on to the memory.

Next the area in front around the plaque obscured it. Two butterfly bushes came up and will be cornerstones of new gardens in her honor. The back eyed susan in the back spread so well a clump of it added to the area around the plaque. All have been adopted by a very worthy new garden.

Then the real heavy lifting - all of the yellow iris from Helpful In Hackettstown (so appropriate) were thinned, retransplanted to the side that had room, and sent to new gardens of her friends. The very meaning of why this is there.

Final operation was just a small trimming of the hosta. It's a good thing the iris was adjusted because the mums donated were just about overwhelmed into oblivion. With the thinning, mums should now have a chance. Hostas are just huge but overshadowing some other plants. Solution is to let the hosta go but clip a few leaves so it doesn't block other plants. I had thought the hostas would be thinned but decided to just clip the huge leaves interfering. These hostas really have quite a huge flower in the works. It's not opened yet but already have a special bud that will show in 2- wees. All should now be good for another year.

The front

So, the lady's name is some sort of secret, known only to a few select amateur gardeners?

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Jun '18

@ Reggie Voter....Her name was Carol. She was in her 70s when she passed and we HLers that got to know her on a personal basis found as the years went by that she became more "family" to us as I think we were to her when she passed away. This Garden at the Library was formed by a few of us but anyone is welcome to help with its maintenance or to visit.

joyful joyful
Jun '18

It is 5 years ago today that we lost Cbel (Carol B)...All of us that knew her cannot help but remember something about her that made her so unique and memorable...I would like to share the one time The Duke and I took her to the hospital to have a MRI done..they asked her if she wanted a wheelchair to take her to the car after it was over and she said" No thank You...I walked in here on my own and I will walk out the same way!!" R.I.P. Cbel...you are very much missed!

joyful joyful
Jul '18

Big thanks to everyone who keeps the garden going!

Love you mommy!! Miss you!

White Shoes White Shoes
Jul '18

Miss her and think of her every day. Thank you for the post Joyful.

Jul '18

White Shoes has grown into a beautiful cat. I am sure Cbel is watching from Heaven and knows that "Her Lovey" is in such good care.

joyful joyful
Jul '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.