Left turns onto Mountain Avenue

want to know what everyone thinks about people taking left turns on Mountain Ave as they come out of gas stations, fast food, housing etc...

There have been many times when someone cuts infront of me or holds up traffic as they are trying to cross two lanes.

I don't get why people can't take a couple more minutes and find a safe place to turn around.

Very dangerous..as a rule I don't cut across the two lanes to make a left. I make the right and go down Shelly Drive to get home or get to wherever I'm going. Just not worth the risk to me.

Bessie Bessie
Jan '13

I avoid it all the time! I live in Kenwood and always take the short cuts and easier ways out of there. I HATE to wait for the traffic!

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Jan '13

people have cut right in front of me and stopped on mountain ave. I will never assume that people will stop or slow down for me if I were to make a left. just make the right, not worth the risk

crocheter
Jan '13

It's just as dangerous when people try to make a left turn from Mountain Ave. into McDonalds or IHOP by the light. People then move into the right lane to get around them or people coming from behind come flying up in the right turn only lane (for East Ave.) because they see traffic ahead stopped on the left, then they cut in as people start moving after the person makes the left turn. Very dangerous situation, no matter how you look at it.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '13

I am glad to see that people feel the same way. I guess people that do it won't post here because they don't have an argument at all.

If the direction I need to go is left, then yes, of course I will make a left turn. (Unless there is a sign stating no left turns) Making a right isn't going to get me home or where I need to go. As with all driving in general, use caution and common sense. Wait as long as needed to safely get out and across. If you're not comfortable making a left turn, then go the way that's best for you. But no need to make it sound like others are doing something wrong.

I was about to say that I have no trouble making the left turn from Mountain Avenue into a business, but when I thought about it some more, I do consider the time of day along with what day of the week it is before I choose to put myself in the position to make the left turn on that road.

I have gotten to a point that I avoid having to make a left turn from or onto Mountain avenue. For me it has been the number of accidents that have been so serious that have happened due to that type of turn.

I also find that I avoid making a similar move on 46 from Mount Olive through Rt 80.

The traffic and inconsiderate drivers have been getting worse of the past 15 years. So I do try to avoid putting us in harms way.

I just got my car fixed from being rear ended when I was making a left turn from Rt 57. Other driver was distracted and clipped the back corner of my car. She was issued a reckless driving ticket and her insurance fully paid for the repairs and rental car. We were very fortunate that it was only the car that was damaged. There was over $4K of damage to my car and I would guess that there was at least 6K of damage to her car as she was unable to drive it from the accident.

Be careful out there.

Coralie Coralie
Jan '13

If a left turn seems a little risky to me i just go right and find a decent place to turn around. Not worth making the roads more unsafe than they already are.

Bryan Bryan
Jan '13

If there is a break in traffic, I make a left. If it is a busy traffic time, I plan my trip so I make a right and head home.

No issue making a left but it's getting pretty dangerous out there. The other day I was making a left into the area by Chase and a car zoomed up behind me and cut off the car on the right to keep moving. He missed hitting me and the other car by seconds. That type of thing is happening more and more because people don't want to wait. I think that everyone is so used to having everything instaneously these days and have extended that mentality to driving.

Bonv... I agree...

Bryan, I do the same thing. Too many drivers like the one Bonv described out there.

Coralie Coralie
Jan '13

If people would learn how to drive right and be more patient and courteous, we wouldnt have these issues.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Jan '13

I am sorry, the rules in NJ are different that where I learned to drive.

A double yellow line means no passing but you can turn left when it is safe. I admit I was wrong.

Since that is true, why are there breaks in the line a a couple points?

Anyways, like most of you said, wait for as long as you need to or just take the longer way home to save an injury.

Just as a point of reference, it is illegal to make the left hand turn into Rite Aid. Everyday I see people do it and everyday it causes near accidents. A few years ago, a friend of mine had her car totaled by doing just that and she received the ticket and was at fault.

htownchik htownchik
Jan '13

Was a time when Mtn Ave was a nice two lane - had trees and everything on the roadsides. Yeah I know this was the oldddd days but it worked fine then. Then some idiots decided four lanes were needed and it has been a disaster ever since. This was in anticipation of a bypass from 57 over to 46 that Washington Twsp will never ever allow. They could care less about H'town traffic and are only interested in ratables along the H'town border so they can collect taxes and Washington cops can hide in the weeds and handout tickets along Washington's 1/2 mile of 46. What Mtn Ave needs is a barrier down the middle to stop the morons from making left turns or coming out of McD's or BK and trying to zoom across 2 lanes - this has caused most accidents down there. Three lanes would be work with a turning lane in the middle and add shoulders as well. Never happen though, just more accidents and deaths.

OldSam
Jan '13

OldSam - In order to build the bypass someone has to buy out the farmer who currently has a working farm on most of the land. Are you offering to do so?

BLD

What kind of a stupid reponse is that?? If the state or county is going to build a roadway, they condemn the land, period and property owner be damned.

OldSam
Jan '13

So you think it's right to just take someone's land and livelihood to cover it in asphalt so you can save 5 minutes...What kind of stupid response is that?????

The project would also be located entirely within the Highlands Preservation area, if I'm not mistaken. So, I don't know that the government would even attempt to construct the project now. But, the monetary value of that farmer's land went right into the shitter when his development rights did.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '13

"But, the monetary value of that farmer's land went right into the shitter when his development rights did" ianimal stated

as with a few other good farmers in Warren County ianimal! It is really sad.

Christine Christine
Jan '13

While we're on the topic, making a left off of East Avenue from the right lane is getting to be dangerous. Many time people are pulling into McDonald's after turning onto Mountain Ave. If for some reason the drive thru is backed up or if someone is backing up out of a spot the person pulling into McD's comes to a complete stop.

Speed bumps in Kenwood would be great for the people who try to make up time by not making lefts and going through the old neighborhood. Not everyone, but many do!

D's 4
Jan '13

@ D's 4...I agree with the speed bump idea in Kenwood. More and more people are finding it as a cut-through, which is fine but they speed and don't realize that there are dead end roads.

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Jan '13

This stretch of road is really terrible. It is rare that I am able to make a left safely, and I do not like holding up the traffic behind me. Just make a right, a minute or 2 is not that much to ask.

JudeKS JudeKS
Jan '13

It does make sense just to go right and turn around in Lowes parking lot. A lot safer.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Jan '13

i try to plan my travels so I never wil have to make a left onto mtn. avenue during rush hour or saturdays.. I would rather make a right, and turn at applebees and turn around rather than try to get out onto mtn. avenue making a left hand turn.. i try to let people out of mcds, gas station, etc. if possible because i know its hell getting out.. i *try* to avoid making a left onto mtn ave. at all costs...

darlughh darlughh
Jan '13

another reason not to turn left at a double line...

This morning someone was coming down the hill before quickchek on 517and a car incoming collided with him pretty hard. The truck spun around in quickchek and the other car was damaged. Hope they are both okay.

fujixt1 fujixt1
Dec '14

A no left turn on to Mountain Ave will effect the local economy to much tow truck operators , emergency squads , auto body shops and more will be effected

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Dec '14

If you want to go to East Ave, etc.. from McDs, BK, etc... and you can't turn left onto Mt. Ave, then how the heck can you get to that area??

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Dec '14

Turn at the light at the Lowes parking lot... and yes, it will add a couple minutes to you drive.

How the heck can't you figure that one out?

fujixt1 fujixt1
Dec '14

It drives me crazy when people try to turn left to get to the bank... Especially when there's a lot of traffic. Go a couple yards to the light!

AA, you read my mind. This absolutely incenses me. There is absolutely NO reason to hold up traffic to make a left turn at the Chase bank when there is a left turn lane WITH AN ARROW at the light just up ahead.

Tracy Tracy
Dec '14

Mountain Ave is a New Jersey State Highway, Route 182. In case someone didn't know that. Under the jurisdiction of the NJDOT.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Dec '14

They need to put a divider down the center. Done!

Franks and Beans
Dec '14

"no reason to hold up traffic" - not being from here - coming from a state known for "pausing to let others go" - (at least when I was growing up) I have frankly been amazed at the lack of consideration of the average drivers around here - of course none of the HL'ers - when someone is having to make a left turn in other areas, you could count on drivers slowing a bit to let you go ahead and make the turn- here, not so much - people too intent upon "their" pace and "their" route to be consider other drivers.. also, seemingly take umbridge at the idea that someone would assume that they would let them into the lane... admittedly, with the increased distracted driving, it may be that it is simply more dangerous to slow and allow a driver ahead of you, but it was a shocking difference when I moved here - had to adjust to the lack of "letting you go ahead" when driving around here..

pmnsk pmnsk
Dec '14

"their" pace and "their" route

That is exactly why people don't have patience to drive a couple minutes so they don't risk an accident.

Being considerate like you explained can go for the left hand turn driver too. Of course if it's a single lane and there is traffic you can let them in but but if someone wants to turn left out of mcdonalds then turn right onto east ave they first have to get someone to let them in to the lane then stick the nose of their car into the far left lane where the incoming traffic doesn't expect and see them.

Every situation is different. If it is 4am and no one is around, I don't care if you want to make a left turn... i really don't. But if it's a busy time of the day and turning left into double lanes vs single lanes is a HUGE different.

fujixt1 fujixt1
Dec '14

Hey fuji- I know you can turn around in Lowes lot. I meant IF they change where you cant make a left and they need to reconfigure the road, how would they.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Dec '14

that whole fast food heaven blvd is a total nightmare, no mater which way you want to go

that chase bank is in a tough spot, dont know who thought that was the best location for them.

i want the 2 dollars movie theater back, and the kmart

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Dec '14

May I make a comment on a post from last year? It regarded the sign saying no left turn into Rite Aide. I agree with that 100%, however the sign should be by the Rite Aide driveway, not on the other side of the street. When making a left hand turn, you are in the left lane looking toward the left, not to the right where the sign is located. I now know where the sign is and turn left at the light. But in the beginning I did not see the sign and another annoyed driver shouted some very nasty words to me. Perhaps I deserved it, but I do think there should be a better placement of that sign. I still see people turning left into the Rite Aide lot.

Tanya Tanya
Dec '14

What amazes me, is if a Cop Car, is making a left turn onto Mountain Ave. how courteous drivers become, and cautiously and politely, let the cop car make the turn.

Embryodad Embryodad
Dec '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.