Breadmakers - Opinions?

Does anyone have a breadmaker and totally love it? Considering getting one but when In went online to read reviews one person loves it and the next hates it and I want to make sure before I lay out the $$$.

Would love feedback from people that have machines.

rierie rierie
Dec '12

Here is another similar thread

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/434591

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Dec '12

just use the oven. mines been collecting dust for 5 years, used once, easier to use oven

Thank you JrzyGirl88 but I was hoping for feedback on actual models. 2 women I used to work with loved there machines and they both used it pretty religiously...twice a week. Doing the old fashioned way seems like too much work :)

rierie rierie
Dec '12

The Zojirushi brand is the top of the line for breadmakers, but pricey. I've always wanted one, but have always "settled" for lesser brands. There is one selling on Amazon now for $279 with very good reviews. I have a Sunbeam and I use that as well as using my Kitchen Aid mixer to make it the more traditional way. I do like the breadmaker since I can set it & forget it. Even if I want to just make the dough & then shape into rolls myself, it will do its thing for 1.5 hrs while I do something else. I rarely make bread in it though because mine often "falls". The bread tastes great, just doesn't look that nice. I don't think that would be an issue with the premier brand. If you're not sure how much you would use it, check out Craigslist for some used ones first...usually they are almost new because people get them, then never use them after a couple times. I purchased one at a yard sale for my daughter for $15 and it works perfectly (even made in USA!).

There really is nothing to compare to fresh-made bread or rolls. I make mine mainly for pizza crust!

Davis Davis
Dec '12

Yes Davis, nothing compares to fresh made. I dont care it it doesnt look nice, just that it tastes good.

rierie rierie
Dec '12

I received a new Breadman Ultimate Plus via freecycle this past summer. I used it once a week during the summer at least 2-3 loaves because I would bring the loaves into work. I did find it very convenient, all you do is add the ingredients and the machine does all the work.

Unfortunately I haven't used it in a couple of months and now collecting dust.

Baci's mom Baci's mom
Dec '12

I have a brand new used 4 times zojiruchi, whatever. I paid 259.00 amazon a year ago.

It does not bake the top of the bread The bread top is always wet and not done.

I read reviews after the fact, and the majority of customers had the same problem.

NOW...The manufacturer has the same model; but, Updated and revised with a top electric element that it states...to completely bake the bread more uniformily, and to brown the top of the loaf.

I get a lot of rediculous comments like, Oh! I love mine, and I just use it to mix and raise the dough, and then bake the loaf in the regular oven.

Now...Why would one buy a bread machine and bake the bread in the oven just because the loaf does not brown on the top???

I bought the machine to set the timer function, and that then is programmed to have a finished loaf of wonderful bread; ready to be enjoyed like when waking in the morning.

There were people fix it solutions that said if they blocked the vents on the top, that the bread baked mor uniformily etc.
Why would I pay 250 bucks to fix something that is not made right???

I see now that the machine built now is better, and so I will write a letter to the manufacturer and see if I could trade their (Incomplete Baking Model maker ) last years machine, in for a newer revised model.

They actually admit that their last years model machines were not baking the bread tops. I'm going to give it a try. If not, I will get out the tin foil and see if that works.

Another Misfit toy for the garage shelf!

embryodad embryodad
Dec '12

I have a Sunbeam one as well and have used it only for actually baking bread twice. I usually use it for making the dough then take it from there. The problem is that the mixing element is on the bottom of the unit so when you make bread, it comes out with a huge gouge in the bottom where the mixer is and then falls apart as another poster said.

embryodad....that is the model I am looking at and the reviews (people love it) but I am afraid that It wont work. I guess there is a return policy but the other thing they only give you guarantee for a year which is not long for the price you pay.

rierie rierie
Dec '12

Don't use a breadmaker. Just a mixer with a dough hook. And a kitchen scale. No kneading necessary and the scale makes measuring a breeze with no cleanup. 500g flour, 300g warm water, 10g salt, 2g yeast. Great basic bread dough. Use a dutch oven to cook a boule for 30 min with lid on (steams it nicely), 10-15 min off. Some of the best bread you will ever eat.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Dec '12

Just made one yesterday MeisterNJ!

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Dec '12

Re: Breadmakers - Opinions?

Here's a picture!

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Dec '12

@rierie

[Quote] embryodad....that is the model I am looking at and the reviews (people love it) but I am afraid that It wont work.[Quote]

Mine was a model made 2 years ago! If it is the latest model, the description states
"New with Upper element to produce top browned baked items!"
The item I referenced below is the NEW model.
I did not buy this one, and unfortunetely I wound up with the previous (Toy) model.
I could have baked better bread, in my kids little EZ Bake oven with a lightbulb inside for the heat source!

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-BB-PAC20-Bakery-Virtuoso-Breadmaker/dp/B0067MQM48/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1356979126&sr=1-1&keywords=zojirushi+bread

embryodad embryodad
Dec '12

Lady Jayne..that's a very nice looking loaf of bread you have there! Looks delicious!

Bessie Bessie
Dec '12

Lady Jayne -That bread looks amazing!

Did you use a dutch oven like Meister suggested? When you use the recipe that MNJ mentioned, do you have to let it rise? Or is it simply mix ingredients and then start cooking in the dutch oven?

Do the sides brown as well in the dutch oven? If you don't mind, can you provide some more details regarding the prep of the ingredients?

emaxxman emaxxman
Dec '12

Cast iron dutch ovens are the greatest vessels for baking bread at home. Great heat retention and even heat distribution. I've never actually done it, but I've enjoyed the fruits of someone else's labor several times...

ianimal ianimal
Dec '12

I'm with emaxxman...I want details too. Just a regular scale? does the dutch oven have to be greased?

rierie rierie
Dec '12

Lady Jayne..did you use MeistersNJ recipe? Your bread came out beautiful!!

rierie rierie
Dec '12

This is the recipe I used. I mixed the dough Saturday afternoon, put it in a bowl and placed it in my cold oven. I took it out the next day, let it rise, and placed it in an oval 3 quart Le Creuset pan. It is so simple and comes out perfectly every time!

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html?_r=0

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Dec '12

Lady Jayne....thank you so much!

rierie rierie
Dec '12

MeisterNJ, you forgot to give a baking temperature with your instructions. It's kind of an important detail (-;

ianimal ianimal
Dec '12

Ianimal, 450 is the temperature...put your pot in a cold oven and let it heat for 1/2 an hour! Believe me, it won't stick!

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Dec '12

Yep, 450 will do it. Use a bit of veggie oil on the bottom of the dutch oven. If you mix the dough for about 8 min that should do. Let it rise once until it doubles in size. At this point you can collapse it, roll it into a ball, and store in the fridge in plastic wrap, or let it rise again in the dutch oven with oil on the bottom. I hashmark it, rub a bit of olive oil on top, sprinkle some salt, and into the oven it goes. It will look like this.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Dec '12

If you want baguettes, just roll it out and twist a bit. Score the top several times crosswise. Not dutch oven, just a baking pan until done. I got this recipe from Ruhlman's Twenty. And he got the idea from the NYT, as mentioned above.

Pizza dough? Halve the yeast. Foccacia? Just spread it out in a pan, stimple, and add some herbs like rosemary . Use your imagination from here. I like to mix in a bit of corn and diced jalapeno and make foccacia that way sometimes. That's a really goo\ one. Highly recommend the book. I also did so in a previous thread, cited above.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Dec '12

Thanks MNJ and LJ. I'm going to try this.

Also, +1 on the dutch oven. We have a Le Creuset pot and it's amazing. It's truly a do everything pot.

emaxxman emaxxman
Dec '12

Both of those loaves look fantastic... I could make the world's greatest muffuletta with one of those.

ianimal ianimal
Dec '12

I use the Breadman, have had it for years. Just bake, swish it out, and ready to go for next time. Like the square loaf better than the round one.

Just be careful not to use metal utensils or to scrape any of the part together. My first one someone knocked the paddel all over the pan and scratched the teflon. Did not take long for it to deteriorate. Been careful with the Breadman and I may be coming up on a decade of pretty frequent use.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Jan '13

I decided against the breadmaker and went and purchased a cast iron dutch oven yestereday. I can't wait to see how it turns out!! Thanks again everyone, hope mine comes out as pretty as yours.

rierie rierie
Jan '13

I splurged for Zojirushi a couple years ago and love it! Sometimes I use the timer feature to set up bread in the AM to be ready by dinner time after work. Sometimes I use the dough only cycle to do the mixing, first knead and first rise.. then I take it out, do second knead and shaping and rise in the pan I want to use, then bake it myself. I've never used the feature to make jam, but it has that too.

Do you have a good stand mixer? If you do, you could use the dough hook for kneading and use the dutch oven as above or bread pans without the 'knead' for a bread machine.

hktownie hktownie
Jan '13

Good luck Rierie. You'll love the dutch oven. It's so useful. Stews, roasts, bread, soup, etc. We had three of them going yesterday. One for soup, one for a pork loin and potatoes, and one for bread.

Also from the Ruhlman book: homemade french onion soup. You use the dutch oven to sweat the onions. Comes out great.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '13

hktownie, I had a stand up mixer stilll in the box $399 and as much as I cook I never used it and took it to a consignment shop...what was I thinking!! So no I dont have one but I will be investing in one soon.

MeisterNJ, had gone to bed bath and beyond but the dutch oven there had a heat limit of 400 degrees so I said forget it...then ended up and Dunkelbergers to get some stuff and there it was a 5qt cast iron dutch over/already seasoned for $50 bucks so I got it. Never realized that you can make bread until you said something, the guy who helped me there said his wife bakes about 2 loaves a week and they love it.

rierie rierie
Jan '13

Now I have to get a good Dutch oven!
I have never used one, but they sound wonderful...

Spring Fever
Jan '13

Spring Fever, I have been looking at recipes for Dutch Ovens...and finding some real good ones.

rierie rierie
Jan '13

Also check out slow cooker recipes. The cast iron dutch oven is the ultimate slow cooker. Put the stove on low or put the dutch oven in the oven and you're set. I made a stew last year on the stove using the dutch oven. Way better than my slow cooker!

Make sure you get yourself a heavy cast iron or enameled (Le Creuset) dutch oven. The heavy construction is what makes it work so well. There are lots of stainless steel pots labeled as dutch ovens. They're not the same.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '13

Emaxxman...did not know that, thanks for the info. The dutch oven I got is made by Lodge, its a cast iron already season pot. Spoke to a couple of people that love this brand, I looked in Le Creuset but they seemed a bit pricey. I plan on using it this weekend...definitely thinking about making stew..thanks Emaxxman.

rierie rierie
Jan '13

LadyJayne and MeisterNJ - I'm making the recipe from the NYT provided in the link. I let the dough rise over night and have just tried to shape it into a loaf for the final rise.

It is really loose. Is that what it should be? It took quite a bit of additional flour to shape it.

Did I do something wrong?

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '13

Emaxxman - You are probably fine. I have made this bread many times, and the dough is indeed loose and "shaggy". Go ahead with your last rise and bake it.Now set the butter on the counter to soften because you are probably going to eat that whole loaf pretty darn quick!

KathyDG KathyDG
Jan '13

Thanks Kathy. We are anxiously awaiting the smell of fresh bread baking.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '13

OK, last night's bread was OK but it didn't rise enough. The second rise, after you remove it from the bowl, never happened. I noticed that I used only "active dry yeast" as opposed to instant yeast. Never knew there was a difference.

Second try - saw the instant yeast start bubbling right away. Dough rose quite a bit by the time I went to bed but it seemed to deflate a little this morning. It's doing the second rise now but doesn't seem to really be rising much (as compared to videos I've seen online.)

Any ideas what could be wrong here? Also, in the videos, it seems that my dough is pretty loose when I mix it. The dough in these videos seems wet but firm.

http://www.breadtopia.com/basic-no-knead-method/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Ah9ES2yTU

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '13

This time of year can be tough with colder weather. You can 'proof' it by putting it in an oven on its lowest setting for the second rise. Bakeries use proofing ovens for just this purpose. Sometimes I just roll with it and stick it in the oven. Still tends to come out good. I use active dry yeast as well.

Next I'm going to try sourdough bread.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '13

I was going to say what Meister said...could it be too cold in the house?

Tracy Tracy
Jan '13

I wouldn't be surprised if it is too cold. I put it in a metal bowl and I'm sure it hits 65 at night in the kitchen.

The bread did come out tasty - four of us devoured it in less than 10 minutes. Crust came out better today. I baked it without the lid for only 10 vs 20 yesterday. Color was lighter but crust wasn't tooth-breaking.

So when you use active dry yeast, do you activate in warm water first?

emaxxman emaxxman
Jan '13

I just pour warm water into the whole mix. I Don't bother putting in the yeast first. I've had a bit of trouble of late myself. Wait and see in summer. Really rises.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '13

exxmann, I like to do the secoond rise in a cold oven but underneath the bowl I put a pan full of boiling water. It gives it just enough heat and steam without hardening the dough. Try it!

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Jan '13

That's a great idea as well LJ. I don't use a completely cold oven. I turn the oven on to its lowest setting. Let it warm up, then turn it off. At that point I'll put the dough in for the second rise. A pot of hot water can't hurt.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '13

I'm planning to try making bread in the Dutch oven tomorrow. After heating it in the oven for 1/2 hour, should I add oil to the bottom of the pan or put the dough in when the pan is dry? Or should I put the oil in beforehand and let it heat up with the pan (I'm thinking that's probably not the best option as I'm not looking to "fry" the bottom of it). Any suggestions from Lady Jayne or MeisterNJ would be greatly appreciated. TIA...

ianimal ianimal
Nov '14

This is funny as I was reading this thread last night. I've been taking a shot at different breads lately and thought that I should retry this recipe. I've had some very good luck with proofing in a warm oven (MNJ's trick above.)

When I did this, I did not use oil. Making sure the bread was well floured was enough to make sure it didn't stick. The bottom of the bread will become nice and crusty and come off the pot easily.

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '14

Breadmakers are an easy way to make homemade bread while using some inexpensive ingredients and less than 10 minutes of your time.

They will also encourage you to eat a lot of bread and butter, therefore they are dangerous for a healthy diet.

There is a way that you can make bread by starting with an overproofed yeast batter that you can make a lot of, refrigerate, and have fresh bread, pizza, etc. everyday...which is also dangerous to a healthy diet, if you really like bread.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Nov '14

jjmonth4 - I've been considering making that bread you alluded to. There are many variations of it on pinterest. Here's one recipe:

http://leitesculinaria.com/93789/recipes-5-minute-artisan-bread.html

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '14

Get a bread machine. Effortless and flawless every time.
Even if you use it only for holiday dinners, there's nothing like it!

Really?
Nov '14

I usually don't pre-heat the dutch oven. I just put maybe a tablespoon of peanut or vegetable oil on the bottom of dutch oven and put the dough right on, moving it around to coat the bottom. Hashmark tit, coating of olive oil and liberal dose of sea salt on top ( I use Hawaiian Pink). The vege oil on bottom actually adds texture and flavor to the loaf that you won't get with just flour. Both are fine though.

My latest bread endeavor has been French Baguettes. They're a pain, but come out great. You need a heavy linen towel to proof them in, which draws out a bit of moisture and gives it that nice crust.

I also made a wholewheat sourdough loaf that came out very good. Great for hearty sandwiches and Croque Monsieurs.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Nov '14

So I made this today (it was actually the 2nd try.) This time, I used half and half all purpose and bread flour. I worked the dough for 4 minutes on low speed after it was no longer sticking to the KitchenAid bowl.

http://reallifedinner.com/how-to-make-perfect-artisan-bread-step-by-step-instructions-and-pictures/

Some slight modifications on my part:
I put a small pan of water on the bottom of the stove (instead of the ice cubes the recipe calls for)
I cooked it at 450F instead of 500F in order to give the bread enough time to rise before forming a crust.

The bread flour makes a very nice difference. Nice chewy texture without being tough - almost like a light sourdough.

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '14

emaxxman,

Nice web site thanks for sharing.

ignatz ignatz
Nov '14

My husbands standing joke was if he wanted to hide something the bread maker was a sure bet I wouldn't find it haha

Cowgirl1 Cowgirl1
Nov '14

The bread came out great and went phenomenally with the baked potato soup that sheanimal made... Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Nov '14

Iphone-imal! It looks delicious!!! Great job :)

Bella76 Bella76
Nov '14

Nice work ianimal. Looks just like mine. Can't beat fresh baked bread. We had it today with marinated cheese.

Emaxx, I usually use a mix of all purpose and bread flour. It does make a difference. Today I used King Arthur bread flour and White Lilly AP flour. Came out great.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Nov '14

Really nice ian. I'm very envious. I have yet to get a loaf that rises to a round shape like that. I'm going to try the no knead recipe again.

MNJ - I see people mention King Arthur a lot. Is that a known premium flour? I think I have generic Shop Rite (or is it Gold Medal) bread flour now. I found 100% AP was just too crumbly. The extra gluten does a great job.

Here are some more bread recipes. I like this site because the author explains why she uses some ingredients (see the dinner roll shootout.)

http://www.handletheheat.com/category/bread/

I made the garlic and herb dinner rolls and they were awesome!

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '14

Does cheese really marinate or does it just soak :>)

I would love to bake bread but meanwhile dem bread machines are just too darned easy.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Nov '14

MNJ, how did the stuffing waffles turn out?

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Nov '14

Thank you emaxmann, both great websites!

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Nov '14

Stuffing waffles were fantastic. Regular stuffing is dead to me. And they only took about eight minutes to cook.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Nov '14

Emaxx, You can get King Arthur at many grocery stores. I've seen it at Wegmans, Stop & Shop, and Kings. I usually get it at Stop & Shop.

Yes, Mr. G, it is more of a soak for the cheese.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Nov '14

Does anyone have any thoughts on the pros and cons of baking using the regular bake setting vs the convection mode.

ignatz ignatz
Dec '14

My only thought would be that a convection oven might burn the outside crust before the center of the loaf completely set. I'm sure it's possible to bake bread in a convection oven, though...

ianimal ianimal
Dec '14

I made my bread tonight. It came out good. It is still hot but it looks yummi. I cant wait to eat but it is very hot. I will let you know how it tastes. Thanks for the recipe MeisterNJ!!!!

Bella76 Bella76
Dec '14

Bella, that looks so good!

hapiest girl
Dec '14

Amazing looking loaf... enjoy.

ianimal ianimal
Dec '14

Good job Bella! Bet it was delicious.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Dec '14

Oh my Godness. It came out delicious. Being pregnant was my excuse to eat the half off it during the day LOL. My poor husband had to share the other half with my mom hahaha.

Bella76 Bella76
Dec '14

I made Dutch Oven bread today! It wasn't all that pretty, but it tasted great. It was super easy too. I used the recipe below. Definitely a winner.

http://www.girlversusdough.com/2015/08/13/no-knead-dutch-oven-bread/

Tracy Tracy
Feb '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.