What Was Your Favorite Christmas Present

What Was Your Favorite Christmas Present

My favorite Christmas present was a Schwinn 5 Speed Fastback bike...that made me so glad...that was Christmas 1968

cheapo cheapo
Dec '12

When I was 16 I got a car for Christmas. A Blue 1985 Mercury Topaz 5 speed. My parents hid the keys on the tree like an ornament..it was the most amazing gift ever! Especially since I never once asked my parents for a car. Talk about a surprise!!! Sure it was a 7 y/o Mercury, but to me it was a brand new Bentley ;-)

JessM. JessM.
Dec '12

My husband bought me my iPad last yr and it is the last gift since he passed away , I think it helps keep my sanity and he saw how much I loved it

Cowgirl1 Cowgirl1
Dec '12

On my first date with my husband I wore a pink dress. He loved it. So for our first Christmas he actually went into a womens' shop in Dunellen and bought me a pink blouse, a pink nightie and a pink robe. If you knew my husband you would appreciate this.

I still miss him ... 37 years later.

In the 80's we bought our first house in Nov. It was a foreclosure which took all our resources just to put the money down and do immediate repairs. We had two babies and interest rates were 15% at the time. That Christmas my husband bought me a frying pan and a toilet seat. The house had 2 bathrooms and only one toilet had a seat. So I put signs on the doors ... Women's and Men's! That toilet seat is still my fave gift... Because it meant we had achieved our dream of home ownership. We had made a pact that I would not go to work till our children were in school. But we still got our dream.

Justducky
Dec '12

In 1988 at Thanksgiving we all picked names to make a stocking for and give to that person at Christmas. This was called our secret friend and no one knew until Christmas day who had who's name. We all sat around in a circle that Christmas Day and one by one gave our stockings out to our secret friends. My stocking was from the man I was dating at that time. When I opened the stocking...enclosed was all kinds of little things but on the very bottom was a small candle box....He knew I liked scented candles and I took it out of the stocking and started to say...Thank you for the candle and inside the box was a beautiful diamond engagement ring!!! We were married two years later on March 17th. (St. Patrick's Day)...

joyful joyful
Dec '12

Great stories!

Firefly Firefly
Dec '12

Best present ever was Christmas 1995 - my ancestor's 1831 bible.

Nice memories. Cbel and Cowgirl yours were particularly touching. I pray the Christmas spirit touches you in some way this year. My memory is not nearly so poignant, but I'll still never forget it. I think I was 12. All I wanted was an Atari video game system. Unwrapped everything and alas, no Atari. Trying to feign happiness with what I did get, but as disappointed as a short sighted 12 year old can be. Until my father pointed out a box behind a chair that "Santa must have forgotten" to put out with the others. As my little brother and I started tearing the wrapping paper, I instantly recognized the Atari log peeking through a two inch strip of paper I had just feverishly removed. I thought I would lose my mind. One of those very few and precious moments when the joy overtakes you so completely, you don't know whether you should run, jump, sh*t, or go blind.

Bruin Bruin
Dec '12

My Camera from my hubby two years ago...not sure if he could ever top it

nosila nosila
Dec '12

1982 My engagement ring to be married. We were already gettingmarried BUT I tol dhim not to get me a ring I would rather save the money for a house. At that time he was only making about $900 a month still in college. So he got me a card and wrote in it I know you said no ring but I got it anyway. When I looked up he was on one knee.

My earlier recolllection was 1968 My Chrissy doll. I still have it to this day case and all mint condition.

Christine Christine
Dec '12

Bruin: Do you watch The Christmas Story? Do you think of that every time Ralphie's father points to the one last present that was hidden? Great story!

Re: What Was Your Favorite Christmas Present

Last year I did get a ham.

Iggles J. Snoots Iggles J. Snoots
Dec '12

my best present was this.a My Three Sons TV show coloring book.that was nice

Ironworker Ironworker
Dec '12

Cbel, the scene in that movie is so similar to what happened it's crazy. I lived that scene long before I ever saw that movie.

Bruin Bruin
Dec '12

Hey Cheapo. Mine was one of those bikes as well. It was purple and called the "Scoot." Remember those big sissy bars we put on em ? And those bikes were great for wheelies and ramp jumps. Mine was 3 speeds on the bar. I put so many miles on that long lost bike.

Tiny Tears and Shirley Temple dolls, then when I was 13, a 3 speed English bike...put many a trip into Hackettstown on those tires...I lived on Old Mine Hilll Rd across from Camp Goodland, so it was a bit of a ride into town.

Onlychild Onlychild
Dec '12

My Red Rider BB GUN and I did not shoot my eye out

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Dec '12

Onlychild ... Me too!! It was my Tiny Tears Doll and my Shirley Temple Doll, and there was one other. It was a Church that played Silent Night. I no longer have Tiny Tears or the Church, but I think of them every Christmas. I do still have Shirley Temple but, as a child, I gave her a new dress, and I don't have the original dress. Do you still have both dolls?

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Dec '12

I no longer have the dolls nor the bike...just the memories.

Onlychild Onlychild
Dec '12

Every year I get a special gift that I think can't possibly be topped. This years is a plaster cast of my grandson's hand signing I Love You.

Firefly Firefly
Dec '12

Everything my darling daughter does or gets for me.

Coralie Coralie
Dec '12

Anyone who is about 40 now might have also received one of these in 1978. My beloved Merlin game. I played it under the covers until the wee hours of the night...

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '12

I still use my crayons to color the My Three Sons Coloring Book to this day...still fun

Ironworker Ironworker
Dec '12

Many years ago, my Dad drove to town to bring my Mother home from work. She had my Dad stop on the way home at a jewelery store and asked me to go inside with her. She asked to look at watches and asked me which one I wanted. I never dreamed of having a watch at that time. That was 61 years ago, and the watch still works. Just changed the band once.

13 years ago my Nana passed away and I still miss her every single day. When she died her secret Christmas Cherry Chocolate Chip recipe went with her. Nobody in my family loved these cookies but me. So to them it was no big deal, but every year at Christmas I would complain that they were missing. This year my mom did tons of research on old cookie recipes and she surprised me with the recipe and a big batch of the cookies! It was the best present since my Nan has been gone!! Sometimes it's the small things in life that mean the most to someone..

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Dec '12

You mean before THIS year? I can't remember for some reason....

ianimal ianimal
Dec '12

This is going back to the late 1960's. I was probably 7 or 8. My father had lost his job probably the month before Christmas and with 4 kids in the house, he knew it wasn't going to be easy getting us anything for Christmas. We didn't even have a tree. I remember all of us sitting up on Christmas Eve and my father said he was going out to find us a Christmas tree - well, he came back a few hours later - he had picked someone's old discarded Christmas tree from their garbage, and that was our Christmas tree. We had that tree for years afterward. It was an ugly pipe-cleaner looking tree, but I can still remember how happy we all were just to have a tree to decorate. We were all together, my dad, my mom, my brothers, my sister and me, and that was really what we thought was the best it could be. Waking up the next morning, I just remember my younger sister and myself each getting 1 baby doll, and nothing else. I loved that doll so much. I remember mine had a pretty pink dress and my sister's doll had a blue dress. I always tell my kids that story when they think things are SO bad for them - my father was such a proud man, rest his soul, and to lose his job back in the 60s, I can't even imagine trying to get by. It's funny how my husband and I like beans so much (our families couldn't afford much else), and our kids hate beans (they never had to worry about where their next meal came from). Back then our parents made do, and it always seemed to be enough for us, with not a lot of complaints. Sometimes I really wish for things to be simpler - for 1 present to be enough, I wish my mom still had that old, crummy, wonderful Christmas tree - it made our family realize that we were going to be okay as long as we were together.

TerryLynn TerryLynn
Dec '12

Beer is one of my favorite gifts and this was a stellar year.

Flying Fish Hopfish IPA
Butternuts variety pack
Chimay variety pack
Corsendonk two pack
Gritty McDuffs Christmas Ale
Rude Elf Reserve

It was Christmas 1997 - My daughter and her husband's first Christmas. They lived in GA as he was in the Miltary and stationed at Fort Gordon. She explained that they wanted to be home and spend their first Christmas together alone. I understood and was supportive though sad. They even called on Christmas Eve saying they were going to Midnight Mass. The next morning at about 11 am the door burst open and all I heard was Merry Christmas! The best gift I have ever received as it was so unexpected.

Firefly Firefly
Dec '12

This Christmas I got powdered peanut butter:-(

Jonathan Stone Jonathan Stone
Dec '12

Check this video out!
Westjet in Canada...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/09/westjet-christmas-present_n_4414893.html

westvillage westvillage
Dec '13

Holy cow. Remind me to book my next flight with Westjet. They would have been in for it if they asked me what I wanted!

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '13

I gave my wife an engagement ring on Christmas Day, 1977 ... I HOPE she considers that her favorite present.

We've been married 35 years, so I can dare say it worked out OK.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '13

I brought my two-day old son home from the hospital on Christmas Day 2011. Nothing else I have received comes close.

When we were in the middle of the adoption process, my husband had a small pendant custom made from a Guatemalan jade. I'm not a big jewelry gal but I have never removed it from my neck since that day.

Blackcat Blackcat
Dec '13

I never got the rock tumbler I wanted as a kid lol. maybe ill get one now.

skippy skippy
Dec '13

2 years ago I bought my 71 Chevelle ss, Christmas eve, 1 hour before the family dinner!!!!

Gift to myself I suppose, I am hard to top!

Darrin Darrin
Dec '13

skippy - If it makes you feel any better about that, my brother got a rock tumbler one year. It sounds way better than it is. Days and days of rolling around and rolling around of gritty noise and gritty noise with little results. The whole family was so tired of the incessant racket that even putting it down in the basement wouldn't hide it. It got banished to only the outside barn use and was lucky not to find itself smashed to bits from people driven crazy by it.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.