Rave: The Gold Mine Cash for Gold

Some of you might have seen on another thread that I was thinking about selling some of my jewelry which was given to me by exes that I don't wear any more. So, very casually, I started going around to different places that buy gold "at the best price" just to feel them out.

I carried around some different pieces for the past few weeks, and got estimates - even in different towns like Montclair, etc., where I just happened to be seeing friends, and had a few minutes to spare.

Long story short, I found that the best place is right here in town:
The Gold Mine Cash for Gold
174 A Main Street

The owners Eric and Michael are not only very personable and made the best offer on all my pieces, they were very honest in telling me that I should definitely not be selling my pieces with diamonds to any gold outlet - but that I would get (much) more selling them on eBay. (I knew this, but other dealers were more than willing to "take them off my hands," shall we say.) Also, they are just really nice guys, and it was the one shop that had a nice atmosphere to it, not a weird-feeling place if you know what I mean.

I decided to only sell one piece; I guess I'll just hang on to the others (because I have no idea how to sell on eBay, and I don't have any particular need to sell either.) I sold one bangle in 22K gold. I was offered anywhere from $850-1100 at other places, and Michael and Eric gave me $1220 for it. Yes, that's **43% more** than the lowest offer. I am very glad that I wasn't desperate to sell anything, and that I didn't just take whatever price someone threw out at me. I imagine there are plenty of people in that exact situation that get taken to the cleaners selling their jewelry!

So, bottom line, if you have any old pieces that you don't know what to do with, and maybe you'd like to treat yourself to a nice dinner out - I've saved you the homework! ;-) You know where to go.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '12

I used them for a gold coin they were awesome and honest. the guy across the street from him told me I had to leave my coin to be appraised, he sounds honest, anyway I got the best price.

caryn caryn
Sep '12

Really good to know, thanks - hey that was some bangle.....sweet.

Firefly Firefly
Sep '12

Do you know if they take silver as well?

finfigurines
Sep '12

That must have been the Susanna Hoffs of bangles, lol...

ianimal ianimal
Sep '12

I want to publicly state I had enough sense to stay away from any Belinda Carlisle references. ;-)

Who are Belinda Carlisle and Susanna Hoffs? lol I assume jewelry mavens??

In any case, they do take silver as well, finfigurines, because I saw the price they offered on a display board.

Yes, it was a nice bangle, but nothing I would ever wear again. Now maybe I'll get (another!) camera lens. ;-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '12

Belinda Carlisle was lead singer of the Go-Go's.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Sep '12

Susanna Hoffs is from the band The Bangles

jrsemom jrsemom
Sep '12

Rebecka:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0ShN1QTtfo

For the guys.. anyone remember "those eyes"... :)

justintime justintime
Sep '12

Thanks!!

finfigurines
Sep '12

I was very skeptical of these stores and I have to admit that The Gold Mine really impressed me. Michael was staright forward and provided the best price for my old jewelry. They take gold and silver to answer a previous post. I would recommend them

craigsok craigsok
Sep '12

I like stephens on 46 across by the hyundai dealer . Very nice looks up the price of gld and sliver and lets you know what they are going for

beetlejuice beetlejuice
Sep '12

Do'nt forget.If your getting different quotes get them on the same day.Gold prices are volitile.

Longhorn Longhorn
Sep '12

Rebecka ...
Did you get the "spiel" ?

happy girl
Sep '12

@Rebecka ... thanks for recommending The Gold Mine. Stopped by last night to speak with Mike ... great experience ... was able to sell some pieces that I have had sitting in a drawer for 20 years or so! Got a great price too ... highly recommend .. Mike was great to deal with.

Thank you so much Hackettstown and the greater Hackettstown area. Reading all of these positive reviews have meant a lot and I have enjoyed meeting all of you. I am honor by the outcry of support Warren County has shown The Gold Mine. I hope to continue to do business in this town for a long time to come.
Hope to see you soon,
The Gold Mine

TheGoldMine TheGoldMine
Oct '12

Where exactly is this located? Is it across from the Trading Post? ~ thanks~

happy2bhere happy2bhere
Oct '12

Happy they are where Edward Jones was on Main St. Across from the Strand.

Christine Christine
Oct '12

I stopped in as well this week and was very impressed and glad to sell some pieces I didn't want. I got more than a fair price for them and learned a little about gold along the way. Thanks Mike!

irishgirl irishgirl
Oct '12

Does anyone have a phone number when googled it only list a dover location.

Terri
Oct '12

908-441-2114 is the number I just found on Google when I was looking for their hours of operation. Didn't find the hours though.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Oct '12

Michael ~ THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! You made my day! I can't recommend The Gold Mine enough. I stopped in today to attempt the sell a bit of old jewelry and use the few hundred bucks I thought I would get towards a down payment on a new vehicle. Well lets just say I walked out of the store with ALOT more $$$$ then I ever could have imagined, enough so that I walked out of his store, drove to the car dealership and have a brand new car sitting pretty in my driveway this evening!

Rebecka ~ I owe you a big thank you as well. Had you not posted such a good review I would never have stopped in here and gotten such a great deal.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Oct '12

No offense to TheGoldMine but all you have to do is check the spot price for Gold & Silver for the day and then ask what percent of the spot price do you pay?

Think 90% is pretty standard. Just go check a gold or silver chart before your going to cash out & you can figure out what you should be paid ahead of time.

Use this site for coins but it also has a real time market prices for gold & silver and also copper, zinc & nickel. It doesn't give you a numismatic value just a melt value so be careful what you are selling.

Good luck

http://www.coinflation.com/

http://www.coinflation.com/gold_coin_values.html

I stopped at all the gold fronts in the area and TheGoldMine ended up being the best price. I dealt with Mike and he was friendly and customer oriented. Good post by Rebecca . I wouldn't have thought of shopping around thinking it was a standard price at all.

wishihadmoregold
Nov '12

Me4 - I agree, it sounds obvious that that's all you should have to do. But unfortunately it's not. I had to shop around, and the prices I was quoted varied considerably. C4G was the best place, and I've since tried my "experiment" again with another 18K gold bracelet. They were once again paying the most! Love them. Nice guys, too.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '12

Another Rave for the Gold Mine! Son needed to trade in some old jewelry - voila - in minutes he had the cash he needed and he went right across the street to Plates and got the gift needed!! Wonderful!

trekster3 trekster3
Dec '12

I've seen better prices on ebay. If you take a few min you can list scrap gold there and get more. 14k is going for around $30 a gram for instance.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Dec '12

Meister - the problem there is you have to subtract eBay, PayPay, and shipping fees. 9% minimum and some find close to 20% when all is said and done.

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '12

True. Exactly how much is The Gold Mine paying per gram(purity)? No shipping fees if the buyer pays. Many of the cash for gold places, as you've found, are only paying about %60 of the price.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Dec '12

I shopped around. Went to 6 different places had alot of MIL broken gold, silver and one piece that no one wanted. Out of all 6 places Gold Mine gave me $325 more than any other place in a 10 mile radius. He was courteous, charming, weighed, tested and gave me more than his board said they were paying. I was very pleased and MIL's account is full for a while now.

Thanks Gold Mine.

Christine Christine
Dec '12

I went to Gold Mine and M. Stephens and they were about the same. $3 difference.
Gold MIne was a lot friendlier and personable.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Jan '13

I agree with all the positive reviews. I went in today and sold some old gold and silver for more than I expected - my husband was floored when I told him. I was wary about going in but they were courteous and professional. I recommend Gold Mine to anyone looking to sell.

Laura Laura
Feb '13

It's so nice when a local business gets positive reviews!!

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '13

I highly recommend Gold Mine, they are a pleasure to do business with!

pampur pampur
Feb '13

ebay isn't always what it's cracked up to be. If you sell, the buyer can claim the jewelry/gold is not as described and do a chargeback and keep the items. You won't be covered. If you are new to selling, they will likely hold the payment, and you will have to ship it first. You won't be paid until weeks later.

Pattyb Pattyb
Feb '13

I definitely wouldn't sell gold online, on ebay or any other.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Feb '13

My daughter and I went to sell gold today at The Gold Mine. We dealt with a woman named Renee. She was fantastic. She gave us a good price on our gold. I would
highly recommend The Gold Mine.

Brook
Jun '13

Michael is not only a gentleman and a pleasure to deal with, he is an honest businessman who will defer making a profit in the interest of "doing the right thing".
Pete and MJ Herkenham

Pete Herkenham Pete Herkenham
Jun '13

I have sent a big size 3.5 carat diamond & 2 small diamonds . Now it's been more than a week & I didn't hear from them. They don't pick up the phone & when message is left they don't reply to. I think I should contact police to get hold of them

Nusaiba Nusaiba
Jun '13

I mean goldmine cash for gold.com

Nusaiba Nusaiba
Jun '13

Nusaiba,

This thread is about the store in Hackettstown, not an online business. And for your sake I hope you're joking about sending that much in diamonds...

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Jun '13

Nusiaba - wrong business. Use whois to find out how to contact the online gold buyer you sent your jewelry to.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '13

You're crazy if you sent any jewelry thru the mail. With all the Cash for Gold places around the area, why would you send it thru the mail to someone you don 't know?

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Jun '13

What makes you think she's from "the area"? She probably googled "goldmine cash for gold" and this thread came up... she could be from anywhere.

But, I agree that sending a 3.5 carat diamond through the mail to some unknown entity isn't the brightest move anyone has ever made (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jun '13

Lori - You better add "USA" to "Hackettstown" since there might be some confusion about whether it's the Ireland town with only one "T" or us.

I say that because Nusaiba is in the UK.

I sure hope Nusaiba didn't send that ring to an exiled prince in Africa in exchange for half of his inheritance.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '13

LOL, very true GC

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Jun '13

Doesnt matter what size it is, it's not the smartest thing to do.

If not from the area, then I'm sure they have Cash for Gold in the UK

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Jun '13

JC Jewelry in Easton PA pays more than any other store in the area. I was paid at least. $30-$40 more than any store in the immediate area. They are the first store on the righ over the free bridge.

Mother Atabey Mother Atabey
Jun '13

Mike Rules - and I got to pet his husky :)

skippy skippy
Jun '13

Whoa, skippy... too much information (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jun '13

ha ha

skippy skippy
Jun '13

Anyone sell any gold recently? Any updates on the market?

Bessie Bessie
Dec '13

Gold has been going down for the last year. Still, it was at such a record high, the price is still fairly high. It might pay to hand on a few months with the changes the Fed is thinking of. However, if the Fed does not stick to that plan, now could be just as good a time to sell.

Old thread....more RAVES!! Met with Eric & Mike today. They went above & beyond in researching items I brought them (old coins), & came up with prices I was very happy with $$$$$$$$. Plan on doing business with them again with some inherited jewelry. Thanks to Rebecka for the original post. Kept this info in back of my mind for just the right time I needed it. Love doing business right here in town.

no shipping fees since the buyer pays?? Ebay now takes a percentage from your whipping money on top of final value fees AND paypal takes a percent. I wouldn't bother with ebay.

Smack Smack
Sep '14

@lola..what kind of coins..I have some old coins that I wonder if they're worth anything..not even sure what they are, some are old British coins I think. Not a subject I know anything about. I'll have to find them and see what they are.

Bessie Bessie
Sep '14

Any new updates on The Gold Mine Cash for Gold? This sounds like the place to go to sell a few old pieces and unmatched earrings, but its been a while since the thread was bumped up, so wanted to check in.

hktownie hktownie
May '15

Whatever you do, do NOT NOT NOT go to the place right off the corner of Main and Grand St.

hapiest girl
May '15

The Gold Mine is the best place to sell any of your jewelry! I originally had five pieces of jewelry I wanted to get rid of. I had never sold any of my jewelry before so the first thing I did was search for a place online. I sent my jewelry to an online-only cash for gold store all the way in Florida. I had no idea what jewelry was priced at the time, but when I received my offer of only $140.78 for my five pieces I knew that something was off and there’s no way that what I sent was only worth that much. Also, when I received my offer I wasn’t given a description of what I had sent in or how much each individual piece was worth. I was given the absolute minimum information. Very shady. I obviously declined that offer and got my items back. Note to self: shop around locally first before looking out of state. Once I got my items back I then shopped around locally which led me to The Gold Mine. To start, the owners, Eric and Michael, are super nice guys. They answered any and all questions I had for them and explained things very clearly to me. After evaluating my jewelry, they offered me almost $300.00 for the same five pieces that I had sent to Florida. That’s more than double! I agreed to that offer and also sold a few additional jewelry pieces I had brought with me during that visit. I was so happy with my whole experience there and with how much they offered me that I went back four days later to sell some more jewelry that I didn’t want anymore. The Gold Mine gave me a total of $1,211.00 for all of my jewelry! Best place and best prices in town. Thanks Eric and Michael!

Andreina Andreina
Nov '15

Any more recent comments? Positive or negative experiences? Thinking of using them but not many comments from this past year.

This past spring I went there to sell old gold pieces, miss matched earrings, broken chains ect. The entire process and pricing was explained to me. I researched online first and there prices seemed fair. I was very happy. Would go back again for sure.

Renter Renter
Nov '15

I recently went to The Gold Mine to sell a ring that I had, so that I could give the money to my grandson for him to buy his college ring, and I can say that the experience was a very pleasant one for me. I dealt with Michael and found him to be not only professional, but very personable. I felt like I was dealing with one of my family members. Also, I found them to be very fair as to the money I received for the piece. I would recommend The Gold Mine to anyone who is looking to sell the jewelry or other items they no longer want hanging around the house. You will not be sorry that you went there. Thanks, Michael, I appreciate what you did for me and my grandson.

Raven Raven
Feb '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.